A decent meal before execution? No more of that!

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Heisenberg

Re: A decent meal before execution? No more of that!

Postby Heisenberg » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:28 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I am not violating any one's basic human rights to deny them that buffet.

You are by murdering them, though. So why not make it up to them with steaks and a six-pack?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:I am not violating any one's basic human rights to deny them that buffet.

You are by murdering them, though. So why not make it up to them with steaks and a six-pack?

If this discussion is going to be had in good faith, presupposing that you are being monstrous by even allowing capital punishment in the first place isn't going to get anywhere. Whether you are pro- or anti-capital punishment shouldn't preclude you from being able to discuss the final meal.

I'm not under the impression that anyone is arguing that a prisoners final meal shouldn't be a 'steak and a six-pack', I think they're suggesting it shouldn't be a largely untouched buffet. I.e., 'final meal' doesn't mean 'ask for whatever you want and expect it in it's entirety', it means 'make a reasonable request, and if it can be prepared here, we'll make it for you'. The article states that the politician said 'the soon to be executed' should receive the same meals as anyone else on death row, and a previous chef states that most outlandish demands can't be met anyway, and they do the best they can to accommodate. So, the article, as pointed out, seems to really be about one politician making a stink over a fairly isolated event.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:The article states that the politician said 'the soon to be executed' should receive the same meals as anyone else on death row

No, he said anyone else in the prison that day. Therefore, the standard prison cafeteria lunch. Probably some form of unidentifiable meat in awful gravy, and some bread and rice.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Whether you are pro- or anti-capital punishment shouldn't preclude you from being able to discuss the final meal.
No, but if you want to discuss basic human rights and their application to this argument, I think it's pretty clear that while your rights may not earn you a steak, they also prohibit things like being killed by a firing squad, so one could say we're making up for the latter by offering the former.
Izawwlgood wrote:I'm not under the impression that anyone is arguing that a prisoners final meal shouldn't be a 'steak and a six-pack', I think they're suggesting it shouldn't be a largely untouched buffet. I.e., 'final meal' doesn't mean 'ask for whatever you want and expect it in it's entirety', it means 'make a reasonable request, and if it can be prepared here, we'll make it for you'. The article states that the politician said 'the soon to be executed' should receive the same meals as anyone else on death row, and a previous chef states that most outlandish demands can't be met anyway, and they do the best they can to accommodate. So, the article, as pointed out, seems to really be about one politician making a stink over a fairly isolated event.

The Senator in the article is arguing against a steak and a six-pack, since he wants prisons to only serve the same gruel the prisoner's been eating for the last 10 years. So while the lavishness of the meal is something we could argue about (although it seems pretty trivial to me), whether or not you get to request a last meal IS in question by the Senator.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:57 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:The Senator in the article is arguing against a steak and a six-pack

I might be missing where that's mentioned, but I was under the impression he's getting miffed because of the ginormous meal ordered by the white supremacist. Not a steak and a six-pack.
Heisenberg wrote:No, but if you want to discuss basic human rights and their application to this argument, I think it's pretty clear that while your rights may not earn you a steak, they also prohibit things like being killed by a firing squad, so one could say we're making up for the latter by offering the former.

Human rights aren't immutable; any spectrum of consequence for crimes bears forfeiture of some of your human rights for the actions you have committed.
Belial wrote:No, he said anyone else in the prison that day. Therefore, the standard prison cafeteria lunch. Probably some form of unidentifiable meat in awful gravy, and some bread and rice.

Yeah, I did see that, and I'm hoping prisoners can still request something for their final meal.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Tirian wrote:I'll grant you that it's a stretch to interpret a last meal to come on a fully loaded buffet table. But for the love of Christ, if you can't afford a steak for a man who will never eat again because of your will, then look around for someone with sufficient charity to pay for it on your behalf.

I don't think the issue is whether or not to provide them a nice juicy steak for their final meal. I think it's whether or not to provide them a juicy steak, a 10 pound burrito, a quintiple decker cheeseburger, a pound of fresh strawberries, a gallon of chocolate milkshake, a tub of icecream and every variety of beer a local microbrew offers.

The article wrote:If Livingston did not pull the plug on the death-house tradition of customized last meals - thought to date back 87 years - Whitmire pledged to take matters into his own hands in the next legislative session.

Livingston promptly announced that, effective immediately, last meals will consist of whatever is on the menu for all prisoners at Huntsville's Walls Unit, home of the state death house.

[...]
If they order lobster, they get a piece of frozen pollack. They quit serving steaks in 1994.

So, if you think that the issue is having a nice juicy steak (my guess from decades of context is that prisoners don't get alcohol even as a last meal request), then I'm glad to be on the same team as you. But the State of Texas is on another team, which is why I remain indignant after reading the article.

Tirian wrote:then we are no better than the sociopathic premeditated murderers -- except in might.

This is the 'pro or anti-capital punishment' argument, and I would not say it is the same. There's a difference between treating a prisoner to the fullest of their human rights, and the above mentioned meal. I am not violating any one's basic human rights to deny them that buffet.

Be careful where you're trimming there. I didn't reference the article in my last post, but here is where I'm coming from.

The article wrote:Whitmire's letter noted that the killer's victim was not accorded such lavishness.

My full sentence was "If we're going to start smugly playing the 'that's more compassion than his victims got' card in earnest, then we are no better than the sociopathic premeditated murderers -- except in might." To be frank, Larence Russell Brewer DESERVED to die by having his sorry ass chained to the back of a truck and dragged down a bumpy road. The fact that he got better than he deserved is a credit to us, because we are better than he is. I think that it's important for us to remember that. Even if we are to have capital punishment (and you're right to suspect that I would prefer we didn't, but that's a conversation for another thread), we should have a form of capital punishment with a far higher ethical standard than the people upon whom it is performed.

(And Dauric is completely right that my righteous fury, such as it is, was totally on the facts of the article. I'm sorry if the context made it sound like I was taking it out on you, because it seems that we are largely in agreement that the policy should be midway between Brewer's abuse and the subsequent full crackdown.)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:The Senator in the article is arguing against a steak and a six-pack

I might be missing where that's mentioned, but I was under the impression he's getting miffed because of the ginormous meal ordered by the white supremacist. Not a steak and a six-pack.

The passage that we keep drawing your attention to? The part where he said that prisoners should be fed standard prisoner food, ie whatever's in the cafeteria that day?

Ie, no meal requests. He is arguing against meal requests. He is arguing against meal requests *because* he's pissed off over lavish requests, but that doesn't mean he's just arguing against granting lavish requests. He's arguing against all requests because that's what he says he's arguing against.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:15 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:You are by murdering them, though. So why not make it up to them with steaks and a six-pack?
Again, they're not going to become a vengeful ghost if you don't provide them with a fancy last meal.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:26 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:You are by murdering them, though. So why not make it up to them with steaks and a six-pack?
Again, they're not going to become a vengeful ghost if you don't provide them with a fancy last meal.

Fun fact. Last meals were put into place because people believed exactly the opposite of this.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:26 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:

True story: I only treat people well if I'm worried that they'll haunt me after death.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:True story: I only treat people well if I'm worried that they'll haunt me after until death.

FTFM.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Human rights aren't immutable; any spectrum of consequence for crimes bears forfeiture of some of your human rights for the actions you have committed.
Yah-huh they are, and nuh-uh it doesn't. My violation of your immutable rights doesn't mean you've forfeited them. For instance, when we routinely execute innocent people, they never forfeited their rights, but we kill them all the same. If rights are something you can forfeit, or even worse, if I can judge you and tell you that you forfeited all your rights when your dog pooped on my lawn, then they aren't really rights at all.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Ie, no meal requests. He is arguing against meal requests. He is arguing against meal requests *because* he's pissed off over lavish requests, but that doesn't mean he's just arguing against granting lavish requests. He's arguing against all requests because that's what he says he's arguing against.

Senator Whitmore is pissed off over the granting of -a- lavish request. It's not even a systemic problem on Death Row that every dead-man-walking is asking for enough food to feed a family of four for a week, it's a one-off screw-up by someone in authority in the prison. Rather than demand the prison authorities deal with the one-off screw-up, he's gone ballistic and attacked the entire system.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:rights are something you can forfeit, or even worse, if I can judge you and tell you that you forfeited all your rights when your dog pooped on my lawn, then they aren't really rights at all.

Frankly, this is a silly argument and you know it. I'm not claiming society is right here, but at least in some states, it has been agreed that certain crimes carry the consequence of death. Which is to say, they feel that your basic human right to life is forfeit if you commit certain crimes. I'm not getting dragging into another argument about pro-anti-capital punishment, because this thread is about last meals.

Belial wrote:The passage that we keep drawing your attention to? The part where he said that prisoners should be fed standard prisoner food, ie whatever's in the cafeteria that day?
Izawwlgood wrote:Yeah, I did see that, and I'm hoping prisoners can still request something for their final meal.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Belial wrote:The passage that we keep drawing your attention to? The part where he said that prisoners should be fed standard prisoner food, ie whatever's in the cafeteria that day?
Izawwlgood wrote:Yeah, I did see that, and I'm hoping prisoners can still request something for their final meal.

I'm sure they can request it. They can request it till they're blue in the face, but those requests are quite explicitly not something Senator Whitmire, who is chairman of the Texas Senate Criminal Justice Committee and thus in a great deal of power over the situation, was willing to grant when he made that statement.

Now it's possible that Senator Whitmire will calm the f_ down and make a more nuanced statement later, I'm not a Texan, I don't know much about Senator Whitmire's temperament. It's also equally possible that he's entirely willing to go forward with the statement as is as a matter of policy for the Texas Dept. of Corrections, or introduce legislation to the state to make it so.

At the moment, the last public statement (at least as posted in the thread and as far as I've been able to find) is a total cessation to the tradition of last meals, no exceptions.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:rights are something you can forfeit, or even worse, if I can judge you and tell you that you forfeited all your rights when your dog pooped on my lawn, then they aren't really rights at all.

Frankly, this is a silly argument and you know it. I'm not claiming society is right here, but at least in some states, it has been agreed that certain crimes carry the consequence of death. Which is to say, they feel that your basic human right to life is forfeit if you commit certain crimes. I'm not getting dragging into another argument about pro-anti-capital punishment, because this thread is about last meals.
Nope! Pretty sure most theories nowadays posit that your right to life still exists, but because of your actions, other people's rights have overridden it. As another example, you always have freedom of speech, but your fellow-theatergoers right to safety precludes you from using it to shout "Fire!"
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Meandrgonzo

Postby Meandrgonzo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:05 pm UTC

I have to side with the "let's give them $40 to go nuts" side on this one. If they can get a 10lb burrito for $10 from Taco Bell, two double bacon cheeseburgers combined together from Wendy's etc., then let them have it or waste it. I agree if it's wasted in protest, then let the poor bastard revel in their last true act of rebellion then weep at the fact that that was the most powerful FINAL statement they can make aside from last words. The only true loss, aside from wasted food, is that the newbie warden's assistant has to spend two hours rounding up a random amount of annoying food requests.

Keeping the pro/anti capital punishment argument out of this, there are a million and one things more important to think about than some whackjob in jail who made a weird request. I'm sure it happens a million times a day, this time it just happened to be a LAST request. If it's unrealistic that's a different story. In that case have Joe Schmoe go out and buy a Hot Pocket that best represents the request and serve it plain and only defrosted. If they won't take dying seriously, neither should the prison.

LtNOWIS

Postby LtNOWIS » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:27 am UTC

The guy who was motivated by racial hatred to drag somebody to death behind a truck always struck me as a jerk.

Whimsical Eloquence

Postby Whimsical Eloquence » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:10 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:

Vaniver, there exist concpetions of values that aren't contingent on the existince of dread spectres, didn't you know?
“People understand me so poorly that they don't even understand my complaint about them not understanding me.”
~ Soren Kierkegaard

MartianInvader

Postby MartianInvader » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

LtNOWIS wrote:The guy who was motivated by racial hatred to drag somebody to death behind a truck always struck me as a jerk.

Well, if he's a jerk, then of course we shouldn't grant him a last meal request! I mean, if I knew the people on death row might be bad people, I'd never have supported last meals in the first place! Or maybe we're just letting our emotions about a particular instance cloud our morals we know to be right in general, I dunno.

(I know your comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek. Don't consider this a personal attack on you, but rather a comment on the general sentiment expressed by many in this thread.)

Whimsical Eloquence wrote:Vaniver, there exist concpetions of values that aren't contingent on the existince of dread spectres, didn't you know?

Now this is just crazy talk.
Let's have a fervent argument, mostly over semantics, where we all claim the burden of proof is on the other side!

curtis95112

Postby curtis95112 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

Are we even sure that he did it out of spite?

If I'm to die in a few hours, I wouldn't have much of an appetite, lavish steaks be damned.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
Роберт wrote:Sure, but at least they hit the intended target that time.

Well, if you shoot enough people, you're bound to get the right one eventually.

Thats the best description of the USA ever.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:52 pm UTC

curtis95112 wrote:Are we even sure that he did it out of spite?

If I'm to die in a few hours, I wouldn't have much of an appetite, lavish steaks be damned.
What! Are you suggesting that someone who did something bad enough that he apparently deserved to be on death row could be in anyway nervous about dying? Preposterous!!!!
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

It seems they've stopped publishing the last meals on the Texas DCJ executions website as well so not only are the denying last meals, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what to make for dinner. :x
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

iChef

Postby iChef » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

I read the thread but didn't see this point hit directly on the head. All these giant lists posted are the prisoner REQUESTS for last meals, not what they actually received. Almost all stares either set a limited dollar amount or only give them things available in the prison kitchen. I caught a good interview with the guy who wrote the "meals to die for" book, it explained the situation pretty well. Basically the prison has the main kitchen where all the meals are prepared. Then they also have the canteen system where you can use money earned by doing work programs in the jail (usually for only a few cents an hour) or sent in by your family to buy things like candy, chips, soda and other things you wouldn't be given during a regular jail meal. It is only from provisions through either of these systems you get to pick your last meal from. This is the system in Texas anyway. The man in question in this story did not get all that food he requested, this whole story is so twisted to the facts it's sickening.

I am very much in favor of a last meal. The "but he didn't give his victim as last meal" argument doesn't fly with me. We as a society are more civil than a cold blooded murderer. With all the huge expense in a capital trial offering someone a $40 meal is nothing. Killing someone is punishment enough, taking away one final act of comfort is just barbaric, and doesn't send a message to anyone.

The jail system alone is hard enough as it is. I've seen guys not able to take more than a couple months. This one man named Juan who was in my block I used to see during the 1 hour a day we were allowed out of our cells into the main room was destroyed in less than 6 months. He had been in a few weeks when I got there. There was only him and one other latino inmate in our block and I was the only white person who spoke any Spanish. At first we would talk and play chess together everyday, after about 3 months he stopped shaving and would just wander around in circles mumbling to himself, speaking complete nonsense.
I couldn't imagine being in those conditions for over a decade, the least you could do for these guys is give them something edible before they die
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

Greyarcher

Postby Greyarcher » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

Cleverbeans wrote:It seems they've stopped publishing the last meals on the Texas DCJ executions website as well so not only are the denying last meals, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what to make for dinner. :x
Wait--they used to publish last meals? If we had daily executions that would be an entertainingly morbid basis for one's evening meals.
In serious discussion, I usually strive to post with clarity, thoroughness, and precision so that others will not misunderstand; I strive for dispassion and an open mind, the better to avoid error.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

iChef wrote:We as a society are more civil than a cold blooded murderer.

We'd like to think so, anyway.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
And yet, the post where you said that is the same as the post where you said you might be missing where that's mentioned.

"That" being the refusal to fulfill *any* last meal request by someone about to be executed.

So did you, like, forget that you had just typed that by the time you got to the end of the post and admitted that you had, indeed, seen that?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:35 am UTC

I'm hoping the statement isn't literal. That 'they get the same thing everyone else gets' actually means 'if they want chicken instead of beef they can ask for it, but no more buffets'.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:11 am UTC

Meandrgonzo wrote:I agree if it's wasted in protest, then let the poor bastard revel in their last true act of rebellion then weep at the fact that that was the most powerful FINAL statement they can make aside from last words.

Assuming it was an act of rebellion in the first place. He could have just felt sick and had no appetite, you know, knowing he was about to die and all.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:19 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm hoping the statement isn't literal. That 'they get the same thing everyone else gets' actually means 'if they want chicken instead of beef they can ask for it, but no more buffets'.
Hoping it's not true isn't the same as failing to see where it's mentioned, though.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Greyarcher

Postby Greyarcher » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:47 pm UTC

On reflection, I'm fine with it either way. Though getting especially annoyed at someone wasting their final meal seems a bit too uptight. I would think of the final meal as something of a gesture of politeness; if it's wasted, well, as long as their extravagance is cost-restricted then no great loss.

Thesh wrote:
Meandrgonzo wrote:I agree if it's wasted in protest, then let the poor bastard revel in their last true act of rebellion then weep at the fact that that was the most powerful FINAL statement they can make aside from last words.

Assuming it was an act of rebellion in the first place. He could have just felt sick and had no appetite, you know, knowing he was about to die and all.
Then again, since appeals apparently takes months to years, they may have come to terms with their death a long, long time ago. :lol:
In serious discussion, I usually strive to post with clarity, thoroughness, and precision so that others will not misunderstand; I strive for dispassion and an open mind, the better to avoid error.

LtNOWIS

Postby LtNOWIS » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

Greyarcher wrote:
Cleverbeans wrote:It seems they've stopped publishing the last meals on the Texas DCJ executions website as well so not only are the denying last meals, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what to make for dinner. :x
Wait--they used to publish last meals? If we had daily executions that would be an entertainingly morbid basis for one's evening meals.

They still do for most executions. The AP usually has it. If not, googling "[name of prisoner] last meal" usually brings it up. Of course, Texas has like half of all executions in the country, so that'll no longer be as true.

Recent last meals:
Derrick O'Neal Mason, executed Thursday in Alabama, fasted on his last day.
Lawrence Brewer, executed Wednesday in Texas, had the giant meal described in the original post.
Troy Davis, executed the same day in Georgia, fasted on his last day.
Steven Woods, executed on September 13 in Texas, requested: bacon; a large pizza with bacon, sausage, pepperoni and hamburger; fried chicken breasts; chicken fried steak; hamburgers with bacon on French toast; garlic bread sticks; Mountain Dew, Pepsi, root beer and sweet tea; and ice cream.
Jerry Jackson, executed August 18 in Virginia, opted for a last meal but requested to keep it private.
Martin Robles, executed August 10 in Texas, didn't ask for a special meal and didn't eat the standard prison meal.
Robert W. Jackson III, executed July 29 in Delaware had steak, a baked potato, potato skins, corn and a soda.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

The article quotes Brian Price, but I note that his full statement hasn't been linked yet.

I gather that what irks the senator and his supporters is not the couple of dollars worth of food these people receive a short while before tens of thousands are spent on actually killing them, but the idea of awarding some kind of fundamental compassion to human beings.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:04 pm UTC

LtNOWIS wrote:Steven Woods, executed on September 13 in Texas, requested: bacon; a large pizza with bacon, sausage, pepperoni and hamburger; fried chicken breasts; chicken fried steak; hamburgers with bacon on French toast; garlic bread sticks; Mountain Dew, Pepsi, root beer and sweet tea; and ice cream.

Sounds like he was trying to kill himself via heart attack before the state got a chance to.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

curtis95112

Postby curtis95112 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

Decker wrote:
LtNOWIS wrote:Steven Woods, executed on September 13 in Texas, requested: bacon; a large pizza with bacon, sausage, pepperoni and hamburger; fried chicken breasts; chicken fried steak; hamburgers with bacon on French toast; garlic bread sticks; Mountain Dew, Pepsi, root beer and sweet tea; and ice cream.

Sounds like he was trying to kill himself via heart attack before the state got a chance to.

Or by rupturing his stomach
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
Роберт wrote:Sure, but at least they hit the intended target that time.

Well, if you shoot enough people, you're bound to get the right one eventually.

Thats the best description of the USA ever.

kazvorpal

Postby kazvorpal » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

In Illinois, a few years back, someone noticed that more people on Death Row were being exonerated by new genetic testing, than actually executed.

One reason, therefore, to give the condemned man a really good last meal is that you're apologizing for a majority likelyhood that he is innocent.

It costs millions, through appeals and such, to "verify" that the guy is guilty, before killing him...and yet they're often wrong, anyway. You'd think, then, that even a thousand dollar meal when you're finally killing him would be trivial.

This is one of many reasons to oppose capital punishment:

Even if, for some bizarre reason, you think the State has a legitimate role in killing people in cold blood, you can't trust it to kill the RIGHT people.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

To bad they didn't give Odell Barnes, Jr his final request.

I think my favorite one was the tea and cookies. (Poor guy had to specify "hot tea from tea bags" to make sure nobody was confused as to what he meant.)
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

kazvorpal

Postby kazvorpal » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

If I were not going to request a final meal, like that one guy on the list, I'd at least put in an official request for "cake with a saw in it", or something.

At least I'd immortalize myself on "Odd facts" lists.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

kazvorpal wrote:One reason, therefore, to give the condemned man a really good last meal is that you're apologizing for a majority likelyhood that he is innocent.

I find it remarkably hard to believe that the majority of people who receive the death penalty are innocent. If you're going to make extraordinary claims, please provide sources.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Return to “News & Articles”