Whitehouse opens petition site

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Re: Whitehouse opens petition site

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:05 pm UTC

I don't think you can copyright any instance of using velcro as a method for fastening a case as that's already been in use.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:I don't think you can copyright any instance of using velcro as a method for fastening a case as that's already been in use.

I don't think you can copyright any instance of slide to unlock as that's already been in use. See spoiler above.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:I don't think you can copyright any instance of using velcro as a method for fastening a case as that's already been in use.

I don't think you can copyright any instance of slide to unlock as that's already been in use. See spoiler above.

That doesn't look like it's on a touchscreen device to me.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
Роберт wrote:

It's on a screen. You say "touchscreen" is different enough, and I say iPhone5 case is different enough.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

PockSuppet

Postby PockSuppet » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Slide to unlock:
The Neonode N1m was the device used as prior art in the Netherlands that got a patent similar to this one denied.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:16 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:
Роберт wrote:

It's on a screen. You say "touchscreen" is different enough, and I say iPhone5 case is different enough.

That's silly. I recognize that "specific enough" is subjective (and it should be up to the patent office to decide), but a touch screen GUI is fundamentally different technology from a slide lock where you're patenting velcro because the thing it's attached to is a different shape. That would be like saying that you could patent a slide lock on doors to restaurant kitchens because they're usually used in bathroom stalls.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

Spoilered for patented rabbit trail:

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

I'm inclined to agree that the Nokia phone qualified as prior art. But it looks like the judge considers Apple's slide-to-unlock patent trivial not because it just involves sliding an image to unlock a touchscreen device, but because it's only trivially different from Nokia's thing. That ruling I'm okay with, but it doesn't indicate that there's an inherent problem with patenting certain aspects of GUI design.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

Where do we post on XKCD if we want to draw attention to a petition?

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:02 pm UTC

Here.

Also, what do you think of a petition requesting reformation of child abuse laws, in response to judge William Adams? I might make one: if I do, what should it include?

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:19 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Here.

Also, what do you think of a petition requesting reformation of child abuse laws, in response to judge William Adams? I might make one: if I do, what should it include?

I think all knee jerk reactions are dangerous.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:57 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Also, what do you think of a petition requesting reformation of child abuse laws, in response to judge William Adams? I might make one: if I do, what should it include?

If you wanted to set up a soapbox that the Obama administration would love to preach from, you could suggest that the United States sign the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. Of course, like everything that the United States is nearly alone in the world in not adopting, it's the Senate ratification that holds it back and nothing the President can do directly.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:40 am UTC

Tirian wrote:If you wanted to set up a soapbox that the Obama administration would love to preach from, you could suggest that the United States sign the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Sourmilk - get'er done son.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:53 am UTC

According to Wikipedia, Obama is already reviewing ratification, saying that the fact that the US hasn't ratified the Conventions on the Rights of Children is "embarrassing."

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/% ... Zfn86x?i=0
We demand a vapid, condescending, meaningless, politically safe response to this petition.

Since these petitions are ignored apart from an occasional patronizing and inane political statement amounting to nothing more than a condescending pat on the head, we the signers would enjoy having the illusion of success. Since no other outcome to this process seems possible, we demand that the White House immediately assign a junior staffer to compose a tame and vapid response to this petition, and never attempt to take any meaningful action on this or any other issue. We would also like a cookie.

I feel that everyone can get behind this one, except the damned anti-cookie caucus, those bastards.

Also, no ET yet.
https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#! ... idence-yet
Someone may point out the reduction in NASA's funding, and the inevitable reduction in ET programs, but hey, who am I to nit pick?

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/%21/petition/we-demand-vapid-condescending-meaningless-politically-safe-response-petition/gCZfn86x?i=0
We demand a vapid, condescending, meaningless, politically safe response to this petition.

Since these petitions are ignored apart from an occasional patronizing and inane political statement amounting to nothing more than a condescending pat on the head, we the signers would enjoy having the illusion of success. Since no other outcome to this process seems possible, we demand that the White House immediately assign a junior staffer to compose a tame and vapid response to this petition, and never attempt to take any meaningful action on this or any other issue. We would also like a cookie.

I feel that everyone can get behind this one, except the damned anti-cookie caucus, those bastards.

Shoot for the moon, guys.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:42 am UTC

Totally effing useless responses to two more petitions.

Why We Can't Comment on this Petition about the Church of Scientology
TL;DR: We can't comment because we won't comment because we said so.
Spoiler:
Why We Can't Comment on this Petition about the Church of Scientology

Thank you for signing the petition "EXAMINE THE GOVERNMENT'S FAILURE TO INVESTIGATE AND PROSECUTE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY CRIME, FRAUD AND ABUSE." We appreciate your participation in the We the People platform on WhiteHouse.gov.

The We the People Terms of Participation explain that "the White House may decline to address certain procurement, law enforcement, adjudicatory, or similar matters properly within the jurisdiction of federal departments or agencies, federal courts, or state and local government." The Department of Justice is charged with investigating federal crimes and enforcing federal criminal laws. Accordingly, the White House declines to comment on the specific law enforcement matter raised in this petition.

Why We Can’t Comment: Jason Spyres
TL;DR: We can't comment because we take pardons very seriously and we don't want to give a response.
Spoiler:
Why We Can’t Comment: Jason Spyres
Thank you for signing the petition "Pardon Jason Spyres (K99397), an Illinois inmate serving a 30 year (now on 9th year) sentence on a marijuana charge." We appreciate your participation in the We the People platform on WhiteHouse.gov.

Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution gives the President the authority to grant "Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States." For more than 100 years, Presidents have relied on the Department of Justice and its Office of the Pardon Attorney for assistance in the exercise of this power. Requests for executive clemency for federal offenses should be directed to the Pardon Attorney, who conducts a review and investigation, and prepares the Department's recommendation to the President. Additional information and application forms are available on the Pardon Attorney's website.

The President takes his constitutional power to grant clemency very seriously, and recommendations from the Department of Justice are carefully considered before decisions are made. The White House does not comment, however, on individual pardon applications. In accordance with this policy and the We the People Terms of Participation–which explain that the White House may sometimes choose not to respond to petitions addressing certain matters—the White House declines to comment on the specific case addressed in this petition.

This is frustrating. So much for meaningful responses - these are all "Nope, we don't wanna comment because it's an election year."
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:07 am UTC

...Hey, if someone made a petition posing as the head or heads of some big companies, what do you think would happen?
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:10 am UTC

Hah.

But really, those two "Why we can't comment" responses, I'm blaming them on the petition submitters. Obama clearly stated neither he nor his staff would respond to prosecutorial requests.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:15 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:...Hey, if someone made a petition posing as the head or heads of some big companies, what do you think would happen?

I suppose the actual Big Company Head(s) would come out says "Nope, not us guys!"

sourmìlk wrote:But really, those two "Why we can't comment" responses, I'm blaming them on the petition submitters. Obama clearly stated neither he nor his staff would respond to prosecutorial requests.

... I missed that. Oops.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:12 am UTC

If any of you are interested, this petition is being pushed heavily by reddit and got thirteen thousand signatures in a day and a half.

Investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery after he publicly admited to bribing politicans to pass legislation.

dhokarena56

Postby dhokarena56 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:31 pm UTC

Signed. I hope it passes. It's not going to change the unlimited campaign donations overnight, but it's going to make companies a lot more wary about them, which is a step in the right direction.
Come join Dadapedia- the open-source Dadaist novel that anyone can edit.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

White House responds to petition to build a Death Star
Spoiler:
This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For
By Paul Shawcross

The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defense, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon. Here are a few reasons:

The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We're working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.
The Administration does not support blowing up planets.
Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?
However, look carefully (here's how) and you'll notice something already floating in the sky -- that's no Moon, it's a Space Station! Yes, we already have a giant, football field-sized International Space Station in orbit around the Earth that's helping us learn how humans can live and thrive in space for long durations. The Space Station has six astronauts -- American, Russian, and Canadian -- living in it right now, conducting research, learning how to live and work in space over long periods of time, routinely welcoming visiting spacecraft and repairing onboard garbage mashers, etc. We've also got two robot science labs -- one wielding a laser -- roving around Mars, looking at whether life ever existed on the Red Planet.

Keep in mind, space is no longer just government-only. Private American companies, through NASA's Commercial Crew and Cargo Program Office (C3PO), are ferrying cargo -- and soon, crew -- to space for NASA, and are pursuing human missions to the Moon this decade.

Even though the United States doesn't have anything that can do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, we've got two spacecraft leaving the Solar System and we're building a probe that will fly to the exterior layers of the Sun. We are discovering hundreds of new planets in other star systems and building a much more powerful successor to the Hubble Space Telescope that will see back to the early days of the universe.

We don't have a Death Star, but we do have floating robot assistants on the Space Station, a President who knows his way around a light saber and advanced (marshmallow) cannon, and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, which is supporting research on building Luke's arm, floating droids, and quadruped walkers.

We are living in the future! Enjoy it. Or better yet, help build it by pursuing a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field. The President has held the first-ever White House science fairs and Astronomy Night on the South Lawn because he knows these domains are critical to our country's future, and to ensuring the United States continues leading the world in doing big things.

If you do pursue a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field, the Force will be with us! Remember, the Death Star's power to destroy a planet, or even a whole star system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Paul Shawcross is Chief of the Science and Space Branch at the White House Office of Management and Budget
Glad to see the administration has a sense of humor.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:00 am UTC

that's no Moon, it's a Space Station!

So, they made a death-star-sized space station and made it look like the moon? What have they done with the real moon?

Or perhaps there never was a moon, and all those historic references to it have been inserted by the NSA as cover.

gordo

Postby gordo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:58 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:White House responds to petition to build a Death Star
Spoiler:
This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For
By Paul Shawcross

The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defense, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon. Here are a few reasons:

The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We're working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.
The Administration does not support blowing up planets.
Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?
However, look carefully (here's how) and you'll notice something already floating in the sky -- that's no Moon, it's a Space Station! Yes, we already have a giant, football field-sized International Space Station in orbit around the Earth that's helping us learn how humans can live and thrive in space for long durations. The Space Station has six astronauts -- American, Russian, and Canadian -- living in it right now, conducting research, learning how to live and work in space over long periods of time, routinely welcoming visiting spacecraft and repairing onboard garbage mashers, etc. We've also got two robot science labs -- one wielding a laser -- roving around Mars, looking at whether life ever existed on the Red Planet.

Keep in mind, space is no longer just government-only. Private American companies, through NASA's Commercial Crew and Cargo Program Office (C3PO), are ferrying cargo -- and soon, crew -- to space for NASA, and are pursuing human missions to the Moon this decade.

Even though the United States doesn't have anything that can do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, we've got two spacecraft leaving the Solar System and we're building a probe that will fly to the exterior layers of the Sun. We are discovering hundreds of new planets in other star systems and building a much more powerful successor to the Hubble Space Telescope that will see back to the early days of the universe.

We don't have a Death Star, but we do have floating robot assistants on the Space Station, a President who knows his way around a light saber and advanced (marshmallow) cannon, and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, which is supporting research on building Luke's arm, floating droids, and quadruped walkers.

We are living in the future! Enjoy it. Or better yet, help build it by pursuing a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field. The President has held the first-ever White House science fairs and Astronomy Night on the South Lawn because he knows these domains are critical to our country's future, and to ensuring the United States continues leading the world in doing big things.

If you do pursue a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field, the Force will be with us! Remember, the Death Star's power to destroy a planet, or even a whole star system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Paul Shawcross is Chief of the Science and Space Branch at the White House Office of Management and Budget
Glad to see the administration has a sense of humor.

Also NASA has a good sense of geek humor...

Return to “News & Articles”