Whitehouse opens petition site

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Re: Whitehouse opens petition site

Postby Belial » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

Yeah, bear in mind it's present you doing the trusting.

I was an utter fuckwit at 16, and I'd still trust that version of me (intolerable though he was) to make a better decision than some of the people I run into in my daily life.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

Decker wrote:
Belial wrote:
"Changes to capital gains tax policy and how they will affect employment prospects in a socially and geographically remote population" requires a great deal more experience and understanding of the world and the people in it than teenagers possess.

And yet I'm pretty sure that given 20 minutes I could find you at least five adults (people well on this side of the voting age) who you would trust to make those decisions less than you would trust say, yourself at 16.

To be fair, at sixteen, I knew everything better than everyone else.

My future self traveled back and time and gave me a verbal lashing about how much better he was than me. I believe the phrase "arrogant little shit" came up a lot.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:My future self traveled back and time and gave me a verbal lashing about how much better he was than me. I believe the phrase "arrogant little shit" came up a lot.

I think my future self would do that, except he's too embarrassed to look at me.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

My future self would take a stack of mathematics and engineering books and give them to the ancient greeks.

Yea, I'm a dick. It happens.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:My future self would take a stack of mathematics and engineering books and give them to the ancient greeks.

Yea, I'm a dick. It happens.

I have some bad news. Your future self was burned for being an abomination.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

Wait, the rules have changed so that our future selves can go back to any place and time? Then you all are bad people for not will have been having stopped 9/11 or Pearl Harbor or the assassination of Ferdinand or something.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Wait, the rules have changed so that our future selves can go back to any place and time? Then you all are bad people for not will have been having stopped 9/11 or Pearl Harbor or the assassination of Ferdinand or something.

I'd have much more fun going back to some battle where one of the Mongol empires steamrolled a small town, and hand everyone in town an M16 and put several crates of ammo in the middle of the town square. Or send a carrier group to Trafalgar. As long as we're dicking around in history, make it entertaining.
I looked out across the river today …

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:Wait, the rules have changed so that our future selves can go back to any place and time? Then you all are bad people for not will have been having stopped 9/11 or Pearl Harbor or the assassination of Ferdinand or something.

I'd have much more fun going back to some battle where one of the Mongol empires steamrolled a small town, and hand everyone in town an M16 and put several crates of ammo in the middle of the town square. Or send a carrier group to Trafalgar. As long as we're dicking around in history, make it entertaining.

Carpet Bomb Carthage!

Oh, there's a petition that needs to be there. Carthage must be destroyed!

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:

How would pigeons help Nelson?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:45 pm UTC

if I could go back in time, I would have kept this thread on-topic.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I was an utter fuckwit at 16, and I'd still trust that version of me (intolerable though he was) to make a better decision than some of the people I run into in my daily life.

It was natural for you to be such at that age. It wasn't for lack of knowledge (at least I assume so in your case) but for lack of life experience to let you understand the bounds of that knowledge. Older people, in the main, have that experience. They've seen some consequences, lived a bit and been through some emotional stuff. While some have not, they are a minority, just as there exists a minority of teenagers who have had to grow up faster than most and do possess it. The difference between the teenagers and the adults-who-are-worse-at-life-than-teenagers is that is is expected of teenagers to be like that, because it is expected that they haven't seen much besides school and family since they've been old enough to think rationally. Thus we can legislate for that, because it is a known attribute of the group. We can't legislate for the grown ups, because nothing about being a grown up makes you incompetent to choose an electoral candidate properly, no matter how often that is the case. It is instead the nature of the grown ups to be capable of the understanding necessary to engage with politics, even if many don't bother to exercise that ability. So we legislate for that, and leave it up to their freedom of choice to determine whether they'll bother informing themselves, and then implementing that information to create a coherent political position.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:12 am UTC

It's a little bit sad.

“prohibit all federal agencies from promoting, endorsing, or funding fluoridation of the public drinking water.” currently has 3198 signatures.

“formally acknowledge an extraterrestrial presence engaging the human race – Disclosure.” currently has 7793 signatures.

Meanwhile, the petition about restarting the Integral Fast Reactor program only has a couple of hundred.

Democracy by crackpot is not the way democracy is supposed to be.
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:13 am UTC

Minerva wrote:Democracy by crackpot is not the way democracy is supposed to be.

It is if the people are crackpots :/

But since when do people object to fluoride?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:33 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:But since when do people object to fluoride?

It's a chemical and it's in our drinking water. You do the math.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:41 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:

So, do people object to water in our drinking water?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:55 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:

... No, even though water is also technically a chemical. It's kind of embarrassing that there's an entire Wikipedia page about this.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:55 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:

It's the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face!
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:00 am UTC

I don't like how a 50s anti-fluoridation movement insults my Rabbi. Although given that I think he's about 50, he probably wasn't the same Rabbi Spitz who allegedly (i.e. did not) said that in '46. That said, it's impressive that the pamphlet fit anti-communism paranoia, conspiracy theory, and anti-semitism into a single page.

But I mean, how the fuck does it qualify as "mass medication"? I'm pretty sure fluoride isn't a medication. Should the government also revoke water because it's been known to increase health, but can also be overdosed on? I can't believe these people. They'd probably also object if we released a vaccination proven to have no side effects that wipes out the AIDS virus into our water.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:06 am UTC

It's not just fluoride though, tap water can contain lead, arsenic, calcium, sodium, magnesium, copper, and zinc. Many of these minerals are specifically added to the water without the consent of the people who consume it. You should only drink pure, safe, bottled spring water.

FACT: 100% of people who drink tap water will die.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:10 am UTC

Thesh wrote:It's not just fluoride though, tap water can contain lead, arsenic, calcium, sodium, magnesium, copper, and zinc.

According to homeopathy, the fact that there's so little in the water supply just makes it really strong.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:20 am UTC

Why does the US fluoridize drinking water anyway? It seems ones of those "cranks on all sides of the debate" issues. I think I remember some government department in the US mentioning fluoridation as one of the 10 most important public health advances of the century, like they really believe it.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:23 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:Why does the US fluoridize drinking water anyway? It seems ones of those "cranks on all sides of the debate" issues. I think I remember some government department in the US mentioning fluoridation as one of the 10 most important public health advances of the century, like they really believe it.

That seems a bit extreme, but it certainly helps with, among other things, dental health.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:43 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:Why does the US fluoridize drinking water anyway? It seems ones of those "cranks on all sides of the debate" issues. I think I remember some government department in the US mentioning fluoridation as one of the 10 most important public health advances of the century, like they really believe it.

I've heard in the past, and Wikipedia mentions this as well, that it has had a significant effect on reducing cavities in the US, but tends to have more of an effect in countries without free preventative dental care. So while it doesn't make much of a difference in Europe, it does in the US.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:12 am UTC

Thesh wrote:
I've heard in the past, and Wikipedia mentions this as well, that it has had a significant effect on reducing cavities in the US, but tends to have more of an effect in countries without free preventative dental care. So while it doesn't make much of a difference in Europe, it does in the US.

Not not turn this into yet another health care debate, but free dental care is not the norm in Europe. The range of systems in place is bewildering, but in general people pay at least part of their dental bills, or take out private insurance. But perhaps we should let it rest. Fluoridation appears (for historical reasons perhaps?) to be a charged issue for some Americans in a way that I don't fully understand, and I should stay away from it.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:37 am UTC

Zamfir wrote: Fluoridation appears (for historical reasons perhaps?) to be a charged issue for some Americans in a way that I don't fully understand, and I should stay away from it.

Yep, that's the XKCD N&A Forum Motto right there: stay away from controversial issues. That said, it's only controversial among the same nutcases and conspiracy theorists that think 9/11 was an inside job

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:35 pm UTC

For a while at my school they used to make us use mouthwash on Wednesdays. The kindergärtners (thank you firefox?) and the preschoolers got some sort of tablet (which was presumably safe to swallow).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:37 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
Zamfir wrote: Fluoridation appears (for historical reasons perhaps?) to be a charged issue for some Americans in a way that I don't fully understand, and I should stay away from it.

Yep, that's the XKCD N&A Forum Motto right there: stay away from controversial issues. That said, it's only controversial among the same nutcases and conspiracy theorists that think 9/11 was an inside job

Anti-fluoridation activists are exactly the same as anti-vaccination crackpots, for example.

Scientifically, in terms of evidence and science and critical thinking, there is absolutely no "debate" or controversy.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:25 pm UTC

Minerva wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:

It's the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face!

We must protect our purity of essence!
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:29 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:
Minerva wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:

We must protect our purity of essence!

Is this from Dr. Strangelove?

Our precious bodily fluids?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Is this from Dr. Strangelove?

Our precious bodily fluids?

Indeed!

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

Minerva wrote:Scientifically, in terms of evidence and science and critical thinking, there is absolutely no "debate" or controversy.

Well sure as hell there's *something* that made them dumb as posts.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:33 pm UTC

I'm not sure its not.... In the developed world its not a big deal, but in undeveloped countries water fluoridation is the main form of dental care. Not only because it cuts down on cavities, but because having a cavity is a lot more serious in undeveloped countries. Even if you forgo dental treatment in the US, if you have a cavity a nurse will be willing to pull the tooth and put you on antibiotics. In the undeveloped world it can be life threatening.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
Qaanol wrote:Since it’s my petition, I’ll answer this as best I can....

You really don't grasp the the extent of down's syndrome. My uncle has no concept of elections, politicians, or government. He cannot learn these things either. He has about the knowledge and problem-solving ability of a four-year-old. It's not just that he can't make a good decision, he doesn't even know what the decision is. I recognize that you want to try and remove any possible discrimination, but you're going to the opposite extreme here. And particularly with down's syndrome, because it's not even slightly subjective. With a lot of mental illnesses, there is sort of a scale (for example, I have high functioning autism, whereas other people have extremely severe autism). But with Down's syndrome, you either have it or you don't: take a look at my uncle's karyotype, you'll find three 21 chromosomes. I don't think it's unreasonable to deny people who have no grasp on reality due to mental illness (paranoid schizophrenics, republicans) or who are incapable of understanding what an election even is or what politics is (mentally disabled, republicans) the right to vote.

I don't know about the specifics of your uncle, but I should point out that just like there is grades of intelligence in people, there is the same grades of intelligence in people with Down's Syndrome. For example, my sister has Down Syndrome, is able to vote, and is probably much more capable of voting than I am (due to the fact that she has an interest in politics, whereas I have not).

To be honest, I think that a lot of it is due to expectations. My sister stayed in main-stream education throughout her entire life, and she was at least as good as some people without down syndrome who were not academically orientated. Though if you want to debate this, start a thread (I don't care enough)...
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
I'm not sure its not.... In the developed world its not a big deal, but in undeveloped countries water fluoridation is the main form of dental care. Not only because it cuts down on cavities, but because having a cavity is a lot more serious in undeveloped countries. Even if you forgo dental treatment in the US, if you have a cavity a nurse will be willing to pull the tooth and put you on antibiotics. In the undeveloped world it can be life threatening.

But there don't seem to be many countries that fluorize their drinking water, probably because most people with tap water also use tooth paste, making the fluoridation superfluous. Brazil seems the poorest country that fluorizes on a large scale, and a bit of googling around suggest that around 95% of Brazilian kids use fluoridated toothpaste. The same presumably applies to most countries with the infrastructure to reliably fluorize drinking water.

Crius

Postby Crius » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:

I take it you haven't seen the polls on whether we should remove dihydrogen monoxide from our drinking water?

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

The water isn't fluoridated in most of Oregon, and we have bad teeth for it. I can't help but wonder how my dental health would have been different had I grown up with fluoridated water (though for a short time, I was taking it in chewable pill form).
http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index ... _toot.html

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:24 pm UTC

Crius wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:

I take it you haven't seen the polls on whether we should remove dihydrogen monoxide from our drinking water?

I don't know why this misinformation is so widespread, probably from the NO-DHMO propagandists, but the correct term for "dihydrogen monoxide" is actually hydrogen hydroxide. I know, the real name doesn't sound as scary, does it? Also, the chemical isn't as scary as the propagandists would have you believe. Used responsibly, it has an incredible number of benefits. Drinks with reasonable amounts of hydrogen hydroxide in them are not necessarily harmful. In fact, the "hangover" effect of drinking too much ethanol can be reduced by drinking enough hydrogen hydroxide.

If there was a petition on restricting use of hydrogen hydroxide, it would make me really wish the petition site had a "downthump" type button.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:48 pm UTC

........So, have we heard any response from Obama about the petition regarding legalization of marijuana yet? Or heard any sort of date about when he MIGHT respond? Or ANYTHING from the White House on the subject?
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:37 pm UTC

I don't understand why any politician would do this. Obviously it doesn't help public safety or help the economy in any way, so the only reason left would be to gather votes. Somehow though, I doubt this kind of thing is popular among liberal voters.

Return to “News & Articles”