Wall Street Journal circulation scam

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Wall Street Journal circulation scam

Postby Zamfir » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:34 am UTC

Basically, their international edition went mini-Enron.

The guardian wrote:One of Rupert Murdoch's most senior European executives has resigned following Guardian inquiries about a circulation scam at News Corporation's flagship newspaper, the Wall Street Journal.

The Guardian found evidence that the Journal had been channelling money through European companies in order to secretly buy thousands of copies of its own paper at a knock-down rate, misleading readers and advertisers about the Journal's true circulation.

The bizarre scheme included a formal, written contract in which the Journal persuaded one company to co-operate by agreeing to publish articles that promoted its activities, a move which led some staff to accuse the paper's management of violating journalistic ethics and jeopardising its treasured reputation for editorial quality.
There's far more detail in the article, which might remind Dutch readers of the Wereldtijdschrit in Elsschot's Lijmen.

adho

Re: Wall Street Journal circulation scam

Postby adho » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:17 am UTC

Papers seem to be doing the opposite of what they should be to survive.
I'm not sure about you, but the reason I still buy papers is that it's generally a source that can be trusted, written by professionals.
Cases like this throw a lot of shadow over the second, and only accelerate their decline into fertilliser and the waste bin.
In my opinion.

Return to “News & Articles”