Happy 10th Birthday Windows XP!

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Happy 10th Birthday Windows XP!

Postby Jorpho » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

Word is that Windows XP was released ten years ago today.

Microsoft is of course taking this as an opportunity to remind you to upgrade to Win 7. :p

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/window ... 13796.html

Maurog

Re: Happy 10th Birthday Windows XP!

Postby Maurog » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:36 am UTC

Two years have passed since Windows 7 release, so it should be safe to switch now.

Still, I'm not upgrading yet, my Windows XP works just fine, thank you.
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

juststrange

Postby juststrange » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:43 am UTC

Hooray! All 3 of my machines are on XP. My work machine was on IE6 until early this year.

I think, if Microsoft wants to really push the new stuff, they should be up front about offering skins to make the new stuff atleast have the interface of the old stuff. Thats one reason I disliked the move from IE6 - they took away my nice big square buttons and my 'File' bar and replaced it with pictograms like a McDonalds keyboard. That and moving around things like that 'Stop' button threw me off. I suspect the same can be said for windows 7. I've got Office 2010 now, and the Ribbon thing is still taking me a bit of time to get used to, like trying to find out where everything landed.

Does anyone know if they offer an 'XP' skin for Windows 7? So, old interface, but new stuff underneath?

Obby

Postby Obby » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:57 am UTC

juststrange wrote:Hooray! All 3 of my machines are on XP. My work machine was on IE6 until early this year.

I think, if Microsoft wants to really push the new stuff, they should be up front about offering skins to make the new stuff atleast have the interface of the old stuff. Thats one reason I disliked the move from IE6 - they took away my nice big square buttons and my 'File' bar and replaced it with pictograms like a McDonalds keyboard. That and moving around things like that 'Stop' button threw me off. I suspect the same can be said for windows 7. I've got Office 2010 now, and the Ribbon thing is still taking me a bit of time to get used to, like trying to find out where everything landed.

Does anyone know if they offer an 'XP' skin for Windows 7? So, old interface, but new stuff underneath?

I don't know if they offer XP specifically, but you can turn off Aero and just go back to the good old days of the grey taskbar. Honestly, I don't know why you'd want to. Libraries and the improvements made to the taskbar in Windows 7 are probably my two favorite features they added that I use regularly. There are a few other very nice changes as well, but I don't use them too often.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

jules.LT

Postby jules.LT » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:06 pm UTC

I find those "libraries" horribly confusing.
I used to have all of my stuff neatly sorted in folders in "My Documents", but now I never know where it is.
I'm NOT looking forward to switching out of XP on my work computer too.
Bertrand Russell wrote:Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality.
Richard Feynman & many others wrote:Keep an open mind – but not so open that your brain falls out

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

You can fairly easily make a folder a library, or remove it from the library list.

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:48 pm UTC

jules.LT wrote:I find those "libraries" horribly confusing.
I used to have all of my stuff neatly sorted in folders in "My Documents", but now I never know where it is.

Yes! I can't stand this libraries thing. It's probably dead simple, but I had all my documents and such in nice folders as it was. I didn't need help organising or finding my files. :(

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:52 pm UTC

7 is fine except they moved the show desktop button from the bottom left to the bottom right. And I can't forgive MIcrosoft for that.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:You can fairly easily make a folder a library, or remove it from the library list.

Whoa! I never knew I could do this! Libraries have gone from a mildly useful feature to a super useful feature to me. I've just been pinning my commonly used folders.

ShootTheChicken wrote:7 is fine except they moved the show desktop button from the bottom left to the bottom right. And I can't forgive MIcrosoft for that.

I want to say you're talking about Windows + D, but that can't possibly be right.

jules.LT

Postby jules.LT » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:You can fairly easily make a folder a library, or remove it from the library list.

I confess I haven't thrown much effort at it :?
And when I do it'll probably be to turn my library list into a list of shortcuts that point to a single thing each.
Bertrand Russell wrote:Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality.
Richard Feynman & many others wrote:Keep an open mind – but not so open that your brain falls out

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

jules.LT wrote:I find those "libraries" horribly confusing.

They go wherever you saved it.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:50 pm UTC

If you're gonna switch from XP to something, might as well take the time to move to linux. Then you don't have to shell out cash for windows all the time. (unless you want/need some specific subprogram in windows..... and it may run in wine anyway, so yea.)

Obby

Postby Obby » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:If you're gonna switch from XP to something, might as well take the time to move to linux. Then you don't have to shell out cash for windows all the time. (unless you want/need some specific subprogram in windows..... and it may run in wine anyway, so yea.)

That might work for some, and I even use linux on my HTPC and also on my laptop when I had that. But I use my desktop mostly for playing games, so Windows is kind of a must for me. WINE has been pretty spotty, in my experience, especially when it comes to games.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:39 pm UTC

Obby wrote:
The Reaper wrote:If you're gonna switch from XP to something, might as well take the time to move to linux. Then you don't have to shell out cash for windows all the time. (unless you want/need some specific subprogram in windows..... and it may run in wine anyway, so yea.)

That might work for some, and I even use linux on my HTPC and also on my laptop when I had that. But I use my desktop mostly for playing games, so Windows is kind of a must for me. WINE has been pretty spotty, in my experience, especially when it comes to games.

Yea, I dual boot windows 7, and the only thing installed there is steam and games.

faranim

Postby faranim » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:
ShootTheChicken wrote:7 is fine except they moved the show desktop button from the bottom left to the bottom right. And I can't forgive MIcrosoft for that.

I want to say you're talking about Windows + D, but that can't possibly be right.

Windows + D still works. In XP, by default, there is a Quick Launch icon for Show Desktop. And the Quick Launch icons are, by default, on the left side of the task bar next to the Start button. In Windows 7, the Show Desktop button is an unlabeled vertical rectangle at the far right of the task bar, next to the clock.

It's very rare that I actually click the Show Desktop button though, Win + D is usually faster.

Panonadin

Postby Panonadin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

I learned something new today with this Windows+D stuff.

Thanks guys!!
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

bittyx

Postby bittyx » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

I am also used to the old-style show desktop button in the quick launch menu. It's fairly easy, though, to enable the quick launch menu in Win 7 (just google it), and, by default, it includes a Show Desktop icon, and even a Switch programs one (which I always remove since I don't need it).

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

Woah woah woah woah, I didn't say I wanted helpful practical solutions to my frustration. You're making it really hard to whine about now.

Thank you everybody
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

What's the difference between Windows + D and Windows + M?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Panonadin

Postby Panonadin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

yurell wrote:What's the difference between Windows + D and Windows + M?

After not knowing about either and sitting here at my desk and pressing both back and forth and back and forth and back and .... you get the idea. There doesn't seem to be a difference.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Ghostbear

Postby Ghostbear » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:51 pm UTC

Panonadin wrote:

After not knowing about either and sitting here at my desk and pressing both back and forth and back and forth and back and .... you get the idea. There doesn't seem to be a difference.

For me, Win-D can be used a second time to restore the windows to their previous position, Win-M can not.

More on topic: I can't wait for Windows XP to finally die off. It was good for it's time, but it just really needs to die now. It is impressive though, seeing an operating system still in significant use 10 years after it came out.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:26 pm UTC

Windows + D works when there's a dialog open; Windows + M does not. (However, as soon as you click anything after pressing Windows + D, the dialog and its associated application will pop right back up.)

kiklion

Postby kiklion » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:44 pm UTC

Windows + M also didnt minimize the full screen adobe player I have up.

What I can't stand about windows 7, Control panel --> network connections.... wait whered you go?

I have a batch file at home that brings it up for me but I always forget how to do so when repairing other computers. Partly because my office is half and half for both so its not windows 7 all the time.

iamevn

Postby iamevn » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:32 am UTC

iirc, win+D is show desktop. Just hides everything open. (same function as bottom right aero button)
win+M minimizes the current window to taskbar.

Not absolute on those, not on my desktop at the moment :D

Pingouin7

Postby Pingouin7 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

You do realize that Windows XP is incredibly vulnerable to viruses?

Yes, Microsoft can offer OS updates to fix vulnerabilities, but it cannot fix everything.
People who make viruses know that most companies are still using XP, so they make more viruses that exploits vulnerabilities in XP compared to Windows 7.
There was an article somewhere that talked about this, but I cannot find it anymore.

It's better that way, because you can just move your cursor quickly to the bottom-right of the screen and left-click, while if you tried to do this on older builds, you're going to end up clicking the Start Button.
Dason wrote:
Kewangji wrote:I confess I am actually scared of peanuts, and tend to avoid them, given how lethal they are to some people.

I'm not. I do my part in the fight against peanuts by destroying them with my powerful teeth. Take that peanut! How does being digested feel!?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:05 pm UTC

Pingouin7 wrote:People who make viruses know that most companies are still using XP, so they make more viruses that exploits vulnerabilities in XP compared to Windows 7.
There was an article somewhere that talked about this, but I cannot find it anymore.
And I would be interested to know what it says. I would be surprised at this point if there were unpatched vulerabilities in XP that can be attacked without user intervention. (There are also lots of companies running IE 6 for some reason.)

Return to “News & Articles”