Possible Earth 2.0 Discovered: Another Planet To Fuck Up

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Possible Earth 2.0 Discovered: Another Planet To Fuck Up

Postby Felstaff » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:37 pm UTC

So there may be a New Earth 600 light years away, just over twice the size of Earth, and with similar features that made our lovely planet ripe for spoiling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16040655
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Re: Possible Earth 2.0 Discovered: Another Planet To Fuck Up

Postby Jessica » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:47 pm UTC

So very cool that this exists!
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Torchship

Postby Torchship » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:05 pm UTC

This has always irritated me about articles like this; do they mean radius, volume, mass or something else when they say "2.4 times larger"? I would imagine radius, since the detection method is radius-based (and their artist's impression kinda supports this), but mass seems like the more relevant comparison (since they're declaring it Earth 2.0 and all). Would it kill them to be explicit?

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

I'm getting the impression they don't actually know the mass of this planet, given that they still need to find out whether it's gaseous, liquid or solid.
Environ 20% plus chouette.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:13 pm UTC

If it's 2.4 times the mass, I already weigh 250 pounds here, I'm not going somewhere where I have to lug around 600 pounds.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:If it's 2.4 times the mass, I already weigh 250 pounds here, I'm not going somewhere where I have to lug around 600 pounds.

If it's 2.4 times the radius/diameter then the mass is likely to be -much- higher. (Square-Cube Law)
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:If it's 2.4 times the mass, I already weigh 250 pounds here, I'm not going somewhere where I have to lug around 600 pounds.

I don't think you can calculate what the gravity will be unless you know the radius and the mass.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:47 pm UTC

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:45 pm UTC

There's been some speculation that its surface would be mostly liquid/gas, more like Uranus than Earth. The trouble is, we really don't have much knowledge about planets in this size range, so it's hard to tell.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-new-earth-nasa-finds-planet-outside-solar-system-at-comfy-72-degrees-with-sunlike-star/2011/12/05/gIQA3Z0fWO_story.html?tid=pm_pop

As to the gravity, the Wikipedia article isn't bad. Evidently, its radius is about 2.4 times Earth's. With an Earth-like density, that give about 2.4 times the gravity, but it could be more like Uranus or Neptune, (density more like 1.5 g/mL), which would give a surface gravity on par with, or even less than, Earth's.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

mfb

Postby mfb » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:10 am UTC

Kepler cannot measure masses - but I am sure a lot of telescopes will measure the spectrum of the star now, so the radial velocity should give some estimate for the mass within the next year.
Maybe it is even possible to get a spectrum from the atmosphere - that would help a lot to understand the planet.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:46 am UTC

dibs

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:34 am UTC

Vieto wrote:dibs

Not if I'm the one with the spaceship that goes at relativistic speed.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:36 am UTC

farnsworth wrote:
Vieto wrote:dibs

Not if I'm the one with the spaceship that goes at relativistic speed.

Not if I'm the one who invents a slightly fast spaceship with bigger weapons slightly after you depart.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:17 am UTC

This may be just me, but I think it'd be kind of hilarious if this planet was destroyed 300 years ago and the information hasn't reached us yet. :P

big boss

Postby big boss » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:23 am UTC

If its density is that much less to make its gravity similar to Earth's I can't understand this being an Earth like planet because they geophyiscal structure of the planet would be completely different wouldn't it?
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

Even at 2.4 times Earth's gravity, it would be uncomfortable, but it would be livable.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

I'm not so sure. Humans can take short periods of high G when they're strapped to a chair. We don't know what the effects would be of actually trying to conduct a normal life under such conditions.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I'm not so sure. Humans can take short periods of high G when they're strapped to a chair. We don't know what the effects would be of actually trying to conduct a normal life under such conditions.

Especially at over double Gs. If you took a relatively healthy person at 180 Lbs and put them in 2.4 G they'd be 432 Lbs which would be morbidly obese. While it's true that the tissues are a different type (muscle rather than fat) You're looking at severe wear on the joints regardless of whether it's muscle or fat, most likely the kind of cartilage damage and/or arthritis that's associated with morbid obesity.

Wild question:

buddy431 wrote:As to the gravity, the Wikipedia article isn't bad. Evidently, its radius is about 2.4 times Earth's. With an Earth-like density, that give about 2.4 times the gravity, but it could be more like Uranus or Neptune, (density more like 1.5 g/mL), which would give a surface gravity on par with, or even less than, Earth's.

Does gravity scale with the linear measurement, or with it's volume? (Again, Square-Cube Law). Gravitation being a function of mass I would have thought that gravity of a body would scale with the volume (cube of the linear measurement, density being a measure of mass per volume) in which case we're talking about ~13.8Gs rather than 2.4

At least that would make sense to my, admittedly flawed and incomplete, understanding of physics.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:I'm not so sure. Humans can take short periods of high G when they're strapped to a chair. We don't know what the effects would be of actually trying to conduct a normal life under such conditions.

Especially at over double Gs. If you took a relatively healthy person at 180 Lbs and put them in 2.4 G they'd be 432 Lbs which would be morbidly obese. While it's true that the tissues are a different type (muscle rather than fat) You're looking at severe wear on the joints regardless of whether it's muscle or fat, most likely the kind of cartilage damage and/or arthritis that's associated with morbid obesity.

And if you're already fat, it gets even worse.

Dauric wrote:Wild question:

buddy431 wrote:As to the gravity, the Wikipedia article isn't bad. Evidently, its radius is about 2.4 times Earth's. With an Earth-like density, that give about 2.4 times the gravity, but it could be more like Uranus or Neptune, (density more like 1.5 g/mL), which would give a surface gravity on par with, or even less than, Earth's.

Does gravity scale with the linear measurement, or with it's volume? (Again, Square-Cube Law). Gravitation being a function of mass I would have thought that gravity of a body would scale with the volume (cube of the linear measurement) in which case we're talking about ~13.8Gs rather than 2.4

The mass of the planet scales with radius^3 (assuming constant density), but the gravitational force scales with (planet mass)/radius^2 = radius^3/radius^2 = radius. Combine the two effects, and you're left with gravitational force scaling with r.
I looked out across the river today …

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:
Dauric wrote:Wild question:

Does gravity scale with the linear measurement, or with it's volume? (Again, Square-Cube Law). Gravitation being a function of mass I would have thought that gravity of a body would scale with the volume (cube of the linear measurement) in which case we're talking about ~13.8Gs rather than 2.4

The mass of the planet scales with radius^3, but the gravitational force scales with (planet mass)/radius^2 = radius^3/radius^2 = radius. Combine the two effects, and you're left with gravitational force scaling with r.

Many thanks.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:47 pm UTC

I forget which media outlet this was, but someone wrote 'planet probably contains life'. I thought that was funny.
What would the escape velocity be for a planet of Earth like composition, but approximately 2x the diameter?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:54 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I forget which media outlet this was, but someone wrote 'planet probably contains life'. I thought that was funny.
What would the escape velocity be for a planet of Earth like composition, but approximately 2x the diameter?

Assuming the same density, the mass goes up by a factor of 8, the radius doubles, and the escape velocity is proportional to the square root of M/r, so the escape velocity should double, assuming my back-of-the-envelope calculation is accurate.
I looked out across the river today …

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

You'd be so fucking buff. Or broken, either or.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:07 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:You'd be so fucking buff. Or broken, either or.

Possibly both. A buff muscle enclosing powdered bones. It's the "Pudding People"!

big boss

Postby big boss » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:16 pm UTC

We could use this to up our power levels and reach super saiyan faster...
"Nothing but the Rain."

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:43 pm UTC

big boss wrote:We could use this to up our power levels and reach super saiyan faster...

Not really. I train at 400x normal gravity. I wouldn't even feel it.

big boss

Postby big boss » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:47 am UTC

Vieto wrote:
big boss wrote:We could use this to up our power levels and reach super saiyan faster...

Not really. I train at 400x normal gravity. I wouldn't even feel it.

but is your power level over 9000?

(sorry I couldn't restrain myself)
"Nothing but the Rain."

Return to “News & Articles”