Virginia Tech Shooting -- 2 killed, Suspect still at large

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

stevey_frac

Virginia Tech Shooting -- 2 killed, Suspect still at large

Postby stevey_frac » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:47 pm UTC

One police officer is reportedly dead, and another possible victim.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationn ... ficer.html

“Suspect described as white male, gray sweat pants, gray hat w/neon green brim, maroon hoodie and backpack. On foot towards McComas.

If you are in the area, stay inside, and lock your doors, and stay safe.

--Steve

stevey_frac

Re: Virginia Tech Shooting -- 2 killed, Suspect still at lar

Postby stevey_frac » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

This site claims that the first shooting was the police officer, and occurred during a traffic stop.

The second shooting was in a parking lot.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

stevey_frac wrote:This site claims that the first shooting was the police officer, and occurred during a traffic stop.

Actually no it doesn't. It just states that the second victim was -found- after the police officer was shot. The civilian victim could have been dead long before the police officer was shot.

"Witnesses reported to police the shooter fled on foot heading toward the Cage, a parking lot near Duck Pond Drive. At that parking lot, a second person was found. That person is also deceased, Owczarski said.

It's possible that the second found body was shot after as the suspect was fleeing, or it's possible that the shooter doubled back (on purpose or in a panic). It's too early to know what exactly happened.
Last edited by Dauric on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

Very scary. It sounds like it's been 3 hours and still going on, though no substantiated reports of further violence.

Following http://twitter.com/vtnews

Hoping for a fast and nonviolent resolution.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

stevey_frac

Postby stevey_frac » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
stevey_frac wrote:This site claims that the first shooting was the police officer, and occurred during a traffic stop.

Actually no it doesn't. It just states that the second victim was -found- after the police officer was shot. The civilian victim could have been dead long before the police officer was shot.

"Witnesses reported to police the shooter fled on foot heading toward the Cage, a parking lot near Duck Pond Drive. At that parking lot, a second person was found. That person is also deceased, Owczarski said.

It's possible that the second found body was shot after as the suspect was fleeing, or it's possible that the shooter doubled back (on purpose or in a panic). It's too early to know what exactly happened.

True, although it's implied that the second person found was shot second, even if not stated.

stevey_frac

Postby stevey_frac » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:17 pm UTC

Looks as though the second individual discovered may be the gunman.

Link here

I think they believe this because they found a gun with him... But it doesn't explain why they were looking for someone... You'd think witnesses who saw the first shooting would be able to identify the second body as the shooter fairly easily... Although, it's entirely possible that everyone was simply trying to get to safety somewhere else...

There were reports of a second injured officer as well, from a local news station.

On the one hand... This could have gone a lot worse... On the other hand... That officer doesn't get to go home today...

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

stevey_frac wrote:Looks as though the second individual discovered may be the gunman.

Link here

It doesn't say that at all. It says 2 people dead, and the gunman surrendered to police.

EDIT: Not even that, just that the threat is over and 'a man' surrendered to police.

EDIT 2: Wait, what? Read it for a third time. The gunman is dead, but he shot 2 people, and 'a man' surrendered to police? I'm confused...

Unrelated:

Spoiler:
From that article:

A Kiwi student studying at the university told ONE News she "freaked out" when she found out that two people had reportedly been shot dead at the university.

...?
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:
stevey_frac wrote:Looks as though the second individual discovered may be the gunman.

Link here

It doesn't say that at all. It says 2 people dead, and the gunman surrendered to police.

I'm not sure what the article says.

The gunman who today shot and killed two people at Virginia Tech University has been found dead, Reuters said.

The Virginia Tech newspaper reported that a man surrendered to police on the steps of the performing arts building on College Ave.

"It seems that there are two people found dead in separate car parks on the Virginia Tech campus."

... It's as though the article is reporting on the uncertainty of the event in the media rather than the best knowledge of the event itself, but wording it so badly that the reader can't tell which it's supposed to be.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

jakovasaur

Postby jakovasaur » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:46 pm UTC

The man who surrendered in the performing arts building was not the suspect. They were just clearing the building. The police officer and one other man were found dead. It would make sense that the gunman was the second man, but the police aren't saying that is the case.

big boss

Postby big boss » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:09 am UTC

jakovasaur wrote:The man who surrendered in the performing arts building was not the suspect. They were just clearing the building. The police officer and one other man were found dead. It would make sense that the gunman was the second man, but the police aren't saying that is the case.

I read a report that said it is thought that the 2nd man found dead could possibly be the gunman, but again this is just speculation.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:50 am UTC

The report I just read on BBC News says the weapon was recovered 'at the location of the second individual', which certainly implies that (s)he was the gunman, although obviously isn't definite confirmation.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:24 am UTC

Or perhaps the perpetrator shot the 2nd person, then wiped off his prints and dropped the gun in that guy's hand.

There are many unknowns in this case... and its difficult for me to see if the media is just making random theories about the matter... or if there is additional evidence that suggests the 2nd body was indeed the shooter.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Proginoskes

Postby Proginoskes » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:20 am UTC

One thing's for sure here ... All of us at ASU are going to get another email from the ASU President saying: "Watch out for these kids."

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

Proginoskes wrote:One thing's for sure here ... All of us at ASU are going to get another email from the ASU President saying: "Watch out for these kids."

"These kids" being released mental patients labeled as a danger to themselves and others?
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
Proginoskes wrote:One thing's for sure here ... All of us at ASU are going to get another email from the ASU President saying: "Watch out for these kids."

"These kids" being released mental patients labeled as a danger to themselves and others?

Of course, they all are. </snark>

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:32 pm UTC

I'm not sure I see what you're getting at.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:I'm not sure I see what you're getting at.

Snarking with the idea that any group of 'These kids' could be are clearly hazardous mental patients and they need to get off the campus lawn, or have memos about security getting them off the campus lawn.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

So who do "these kids" refer to?

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:21 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:So who do "these kids" refer to?

Any group of "These Kids" that any person/group in authority sends memos about. They're all clearly escaped mental patients.

The joke's been over-explained at this point I think.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

How is a school sending a memo warning students about the dangerously mentally ill a joke?

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:
Proginoskes wrote:One thing's for sure here ... All of us at ASU are going to get another email from the ASU
President saying: "Watch out for these kids."

Proginoskes made the comment that ASU, which I believe is a college not in Virginia nor in any other way connected to the incident, is going to release a memo warning their student and faculty about the scourge of... what amounts to a one-off incident in another state.

In other words the president of that institution will succumb to paranoia and fear and warn his staff and students they should be on the lookout for disturbed shooters in every shrub and shadow. Any student you don't know could be a cop-killer in-potentia, you should all be afraid!

(at least that was the way I read his comment)

Of course, they all are. </snark>

Note the </snark> tag. Because any institution that needs to make an issue about the wave of one-off shootings happening around college campuses nowhere in particular clearly believes all their students, and possibly most of the surrounding population, could all be dangerous mental patients and should be treated as such.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:43 pm UTC

Oh, okay. I thought his comment was about stereotyping some group of people as murderous.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

It might be a reference to the guy who committed the first Virginia Tech Massacre having massive mental problems that weren't being addressed.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:It might be a reference to the guy who committed the first Virginia Tech Massacre having massive mental problems that weren't being addressed.

Sourmilk was the first one to bring up the mental patient. Proginoskes only wrote "These Kids", in reference to a paranoid warning that one-off events could happen anywhere.

I also believe Proginoskes remark was snark directed at the expected actions of the leadership of his own university.

Proginoskes

Postby Proginoskes » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:52 am UTC

Dauric wrote:
Dauric wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:
Proginoskes wrote:One thing's for sure here ... All of us at ASU are going to get another email from the ASU
President saying: "Watch out for these kids."

Proginoskes made the comment that ASU, which I believe is a college not in Virginia nor in any other way connected to the incident, is going to release a memo warning their student and faculty about the scourge of... what amounts to a one-off incident in another state.

In other words the president of that institution will succumb to paranoia and fear and warn his staff and students they should be on the lookout for disturbed shooters in every shrub and shadow. Any student you don't know could be a cop-killer in-potentia, you should all be afraid!

(at least that was the way I read his comment)

Bingo. Besides, near the end of the semester, we get emails saying to pay attention to our students, to make sure they aren't getting depressed. The urgency escalates when something like violence-on-campus happens.

I don't know what the **** the rest of you were thinking.

(ASU = Arizona State University.)

Return to “News & Articles”