New UK Anti-Rape PSA

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Diadem

Re: New UK Anti-Rape PSA

Postby Diadem » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:19 pm UTC

Well there's the whole 'men always want sex so they can not be raped' thing. And of course the 'men can defend themselves so if they are not pushing me away they must want it'.

So yeah, I can see plenty of reasons why men could be assaulted or raped without the attacker realizing it.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:38 pm UTC

Correct. But neither of those is an example of male privilege, which was the explanation I suggested for how a male could commit a rape without malicious intent, in response to a question as to whether such ignorance was possible.

I think that gets us last few posters in agreement?
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

sigsfried

Postby sigsfried » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:30 pm UTC

To an extent, but I don't really see why we need to suggest male privilege as an explanation for something men do, when women (admittedly probably less often) do it too. Why not just leave the explanation as people not caring enough what others want, and being arrogant enough to assume their partner/victim wants whatever they want.

Basically:

If you, yes YOU, make assumptions about what someone does or doesn't want you to do with their body, you, yes YOU, could get them wrong.

Is spot on, but has nothing to do, necessarily, with male privilege.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:34 pm UTC

sigsfried wrote:I don't really see why we need to suggest male privilege as an explanation for something men do, when women (admittedly probably less often) do it too.
Because the question was originally asked in the context of a guy committing rape without really knowing he's doing anything wrong.

I mean, fine, maybe PM should have said something more explicit like, "Yes, largely thanks to male privilege" instead of "Thanks to male privilege, yes", to make it clearer that perhaps male privilege isn't the *only* possible explanation for why a man might unknowingly commit rape. (But again: the question was explicitly about a man unknowingly committing rape, which is why you shouldn't be so upset that the explanation is about one of the biggest reasons a man might unknowingly commit rape.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

sigsfried

Postby sigsfried » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

Which is why I asked her
Are you really saying that is something that only men get wrong?

and the reply was

Women don't have the entitlement and men don't have the obligation, so it's going to be much more difficult for a woman to unknowingly commit sexual assault.

But again I don't see a reason to attribute this to male privilege when there are other explanations, that also cover other cases. Otherwise we need two very different explanations for very similar events. That seems slightly strange to me.

I would actually argue because society expects men to always want sex with anyone it is easier for women to accidentally commit minor sexual assault, and nobody realise that is what it was. I don't disagree that still more often men are the ones to commit such things

.EDIT. Deleted irrelevant, potentially offensive comments.

Maybe some sexual attacks are easier for men to commit unknowingly, but I am not convinced and really I think they all come from not treating other people as capable of having wishes separate from your wishes. I don't see that as a gender specific thing at all.

That said I don't deny that male on female attacks are much more common, that it is rightly where the priority should be.
Last edited by sigsfried on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:28 pm UTC

You seem unable to grasp context even after it's been spelled out for you twice.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

sigsfried

Postby sigsfried » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:31 pm UTC

No I understand perfectly what you mean, I just disagree. But really I don't want to waste anyone's time, I already started one discussion that shouldn't have been here (on alcohol) so I will withdraw. My apologies if I have offended anyone that was not my intention.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:22 pm UTC

None of us much care about your intention. We care about your actual words, and whether they are accurate or not, and whether they demonstrate an understanding of the points that have been explained to you or not.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

sigsfried

Postby sigsfried » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:12 pm UTC

Actually it wasn't that which made me apologise, it was my unrelated comments which I have now removed. They were offensive to anyone who has genuinely been a victim of sexual assault the comparison to my case could well be considered to be belittling their case simply by using the same term.

Anyway I understand the comment but I do not agree that we need a separate explanation for why men can unknowingly commit sexual assault and why women can do it. Princess even seemed to suggest that women doing it would be extremely rare, which I don't agree with, but maybe I misunderstood. That said I don't want to be a distraction so I have removed the offensive comment, which is all I came back to this thread to do.

Return to “News & Articles”