Police misbehavior thread

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Sableagle » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:34 pm UTC

Spoiler for trigger: rape
Spoiler:
An 18-year-old girl says two NYPD officers raped her after arresting her, according to reports.

Two detectives and their supervisor have been stripped of their badges and guns while the NYPD Internal Affairs’ Bureau’s investigation is ongoing, according to the New York Daily News.

The young woman said in a statement: “I’m completely brutalized by the rape. Now every time I see any police, I’m in a panic.”

She says she was driving in the Coney Island area of New York with two friends, when they were pulled over by police on suspicion of possessing illegal substances.

According to her attorney, Michael David, she was handcuffed and driven by the police officers to a secluded spot where they forced her to perform sex acts on them.

The young woman says she sought treatment in a New York hospital after the incident, which took place in September.

The officers in question did not deny the sexual acts occurred, but both claimed they were consensual, according to the New York Daily News.

“We’re aware of the allegations, and Internal Affairs is conducting an investigation into certain members of Brooklyn South narcotics,” a spokesperson for the New York Police Department said.
Brooklyn South Narcotics Detectives Edward Martins and Richard Hall were conducting an undercover buy-and-bust operation in Brighton Beach on Sept. 14 with their supervisor, Sgt. John Espey, when the two detectives for some inexplicable reason drove off in an unmarked Dodge minivan, police sources said.

The detectives handcuffed the teen after finding marijuana and the anxiety drug Klonopin in a bag next to her and drove her away, according to the friend, who said he was suspicious about the cops from the start.

“I had Prozac on me,” said the friend, who declined to be named. “They said that it’s supposed to be in the bottle but they just gave it back to me.”

They only handcuffed the woman, telling her friends that they were taking her to the 60th Precinct on W. Eighth St. in Coney Island for processing.

Instead, Martins and Hall allegedly took her to a secluded spot about two blocks from the 60th Precinct stationhouse, where she says she was forced to perform a sex act on both cops.

One of the detectives also raped her, David said.

The detectives then forced her out of the minivan — about 45 minutes after taking her into custody — and drove off.

Her friend went to the 60th Precinct and found the victim nearby.

Martins and Hall told colleagues that the sex was consensual, according to the high-ranking police source.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:48 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The officers in question did not deny the sexual acts occurred, but both claimed they were consensual, according to the New York Daily News.

What the actual fuck. It's surely impossible to gain meaningful sexual consent from someone that you are actively detaining (since at that point the person detained is under duress pretty much by definition). Please someone tell me that this is an established point of law?!

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:16 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
Spoiler:

What the actual fuck. It's surely impossible to gain meaningful sexual consent from someone that you are actively detaining (since at that point the person detained is under duress pretty much by definition). Please someone tell me that this is an established point of law?!

I'm sure the argument was the person was no longer detained when the acts took place. Which is still bullshit of course. But it would technically be legal. Clearly if the person would still be in custody it would be illegal (similar to prison guard sex I'd imagine).

Return to “News & Articles”