Police misbehavior thread

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:46 pm UTC

Everything you say could be true. The point is the distinction between what you know and what you don't. As an additional data point one was a waitress and lost her job.
DSenette wrote:you specifically said "On the up side I suppose Hawaii is a good place to get trapped for 5 months."
It could have been Kentucky in February, temperatures were cold and the parks colder. On the upside there are shelters.
DSenette wrote:If I'm at home in TN or if I'm in another state in the US, I'm not going to settle for someone violating my rights or physically assaulting my loved ones...period.
I suppose they agree with you. They lost there bail money. Got fired. Lost their home in where ever. Lost their return airline tickets? All in all what I would call a shitty vacation. I don't like shitty vacations.

User avatar
Diemo
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Diemo » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:57 pm UTC

morriswalters, you are implying (whether or not that is what you intend) that it is their fault that they lost their job, bail money, vacation money and house etc. Instead of putting the blame where it belong, with the asshole cop who arrested them for kissing and proceeded to violate their rights.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby DSenette » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:09 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:Everything you say could be true. The point is the distinction between what you know and what you don't. As an additional data point one was a waitress and lost her job.
DSenette wrote:you specifically said "On the up side I suppose Hawaii is a good place to get trapped for 5 months."
It could have been Kentucky in February, temperatures were cold and the parks colder. On the upside there are shelters.
DSenette wrote:If I'm at home in TN or if I'm in another state in the US, I'm not going to settle for someone violating my rights or physically assaulting my loved ones...period.
I suppose they agree with you. They lost there bail money. Got fired. Lost their home in where ever. Lost their return airline tickets? All in all what I would call a shitty vacation. I don't like shitty vacations.

yes yes, all of the people throughout history that have fought back against bigoted police officers who sought to violate their civil rights should have all just sat down and stayed quiet because, why inconvenience yourself when your rights are being violated...just like....leave the island of Hawaii a bad yelp review or something when you get home.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:58 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:morriswalters, you are implying (whether or not that is what you intend) that it is their fault that they lost their job, bail money, vacation money and house etc. Instead of putting the blame where it belong, with the asshole cop who arrested them for kissing and proceeded to violate their rights.
He was an asshole. I hope they win a bunch of money in court. But when I go on vacation, my list of things not to do, is to end up poorer, fired, arrested and homeless. Is that blaming them? I don't think so. Once it goes to hell then it is what it is. If someone grabs my wife, we go to blows and let God sort it out. But I live my life so as not to let it go to that point. And I don't understand people who do. Which was my point. I could tell you an amusing story about a school my daughter and granddaughter and a cop. All it took for everybody to go home was for everyone to shut up. Never have so many have such a hard time doing so.
DSenette wrote:yes yes, all of the people throughout history that have fought back against bigoted police officers who sought to violate their civil rights should have all just sat down and stayed quiet because, why inconvenience yourself when your rights are being violated...just like....leave the island of Hawaii a bad yelp review or something when you get home.
There is a time to fight and a time to stand quiet. Contrary to what you might like to believe most people don't like obvious displays of affection in spaces like stores. What I see in groceries for the most part are harried people trying to get in and get out. Loud children with mothers trying to buy groceries. It isn't a vacation destination. The court will decide if their civil rights were violated, which for the most part is where battles for civil rights play out.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26824
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:14 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:But when I go on vacation, my list of things not to do, is to end up poorer, fired, arrested and homeless. Is that blaming them? I don't think so.
Then how is there any point whatsoever in even saying it? That has never been on anyone's list of things to do on a nice vacation with their partner.

I could tell you an amusing story about a school my daughter and granddaughter and a cop. All it took for everybody to go home was for everyone to shut up.
Yes, plenty of straight cis white people have stories like this.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby DSenette » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:16 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
DSenette wrote:yes yes, all of the people throughout history that have fought back against bigoted police officers who sought to violate their civil rights should have all just sat down and stayed quiet because, why inconvenience yourself when your rights are being violated...just like....leave the island of Hawaii a bad yelp review or something when you get home.
There is a time to fight and a time to stand quiet. Contrary to what you might like to believe most people don't like obvious displays of affection in spaces like stores. What I see in groceries for the most part are harried people trying to get in and get out. Loud children with mothers trying to buy groceries. It isn't a vacation destination. The court will decide if their civil rights were violated, which for the most part is where battles for civil rights play out.

this isn't a case of someone in a store not liking something. this is a case, of a police officer, telling people to not do something he doesn't like (but is still perfectly legal) AND THEN taking physical and legal action against the people doing the thing he didn't like. and to be quite perfectly honest, why should I give 3 shits about what you don't like to see in a grocery store? I don't like to see people's thongs coming out of their pants in the walmart...but I for damned sure don't expect a cop to come up to them and do anything about it.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

User avatar
Diemo
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Diemo » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:38 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:But when I go on vacation, my list of things not to do, is to end up poorer, fired, arrested and homeless. Is that blaming them?


Yes, it is implicitly blaming them for their situation. As gmal says, if you are not trying to blame them why bring it up?

It may be that you do not intend to blame them for the situation that they have found themselves in. If that is the case, then I suggest that you work on improving your communication skills, because at the moment it seems (to me anyway) that you are trying to put the blame for their situation on the victims.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:20 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Then how is there any point whatsoever in even saying it? That has never been on anyone's list of things to do on a nice vacation with their partner.
I could call an impulse defect of both them and of him. Where the bias that both of them brought to that moment set them up for what came next. However the narrative where they are pure and he is evil is more suitable to your bias. What conveniently happens when this comes up is that every narrative other than one that agrees with you is victim blaming.
gmalivuk wrote:Yes, plenty of straight cis white people have stories like this.
Being one, how could I have any personal experience that didn't include it. Am not ashamed of what I am, I didn't get asked.

KrytenKoro
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby KrytenKoro » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:43 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:However the narrative where they are pure and he is evil is more suitable to your bias.

Gmal's narrative is that, if they weren't doing anything actually illegal, then there is nothing they did that is a national problem that society needs to discuss how to "fix".

If a child puts "2+2=5" on a math test and the teacher shoots them through the head, yeah, the child was "wrong", but that's not fucking important.

What conveniently happens when this comes up is that every narrative other than one that agrees with you is victim blaming.

No, the fact that in every story that's brought up about corruption of the system, you consistently find a way to criticize and demean the behavior of those who suffered the most, usually those suffering from blatant violation of their civil rights, is victim blaming.

Whether or not you are explicitly saying "it is this person's fault that everything happened", you are consistently finding a way to criticize the people who did not break the law and are suffering from those who did, and saying that what they did is "not what you would do". It's ridiculous.

Being one, how could I have any personal experience that didn't include it. Am not ashamed of what I am, I didn't get asked.

And yet you chose to deny that these people's complaints were reasonable or that their suffering was believable, because it's not what you would have experienced.

Your rebuttal here is oblivious to (and very illustrative of) the gotdamn point.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26824
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:50 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Yes, plenty of straight cis white people have stories like this.
Being one, how could I have any personal experience that didn't include it.

Exactly.

Which makes your personal experience totally irrelevant to the issues at hand, so stop bringing them up as if they prove some point.

It's been very well established that people like you and me tend to have reasonably pleasant encounters with police. It's not because we're more well-behaved when cops are on power trips.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Which makes your personal experience totally irrelevant to the issues at hand, so stop bringing them up as if they prove some point.
OK.
gmalivuk wrote:It's been very well established that people like you and me tend to have reasonably pleasant encounters with police. It's not because we're more well-behaved when cops are on power trips.
You don't know enough about me to say that. In point of fact you don't know anything about me at all except what I have revealed to you here. My guess is you have an additional privilege that I missed, a middle class upbringing.
KrytenKoro wrote:Gmal's narrative is that, if they weren't doing anything actually illegal, then there is nothing they did that is a national problem that society needs to discuss how to "fix".
Insufficient information. It all depends on whose lies you believe. At least one witness suggested that they may have been close to public lewdness, which I grant is foolish legislation, but it doesn't really matter.

I'd be happy to continue this forever but it seems to have moved pretty far off topic.

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby DSenette » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:13 pm UTC

and again.....as previously stated. often times "pretty close to public lewdness" or "exceptionally indecent" can simply be "them two queers was huggin" if you're asking the wrong person. where quite frequently heterosexual couples can get away with quite a bit more lewdness before people GENERALLY start going "eww" (especially if they're what most folk would call attractive)

I was actually recently in a restaurant where some old coot actually called 911 and had cops show up because she told them there was a couple participating in "indecent exposure"....it was two guys, on a date...they didn't even hold hands or kiss or anything...just two dudes, at the same table, but clearly not at a business meeting. thankfully when the cop showed up, and got the story, he wrote the lady a ticket for improper use of emergency services.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26824
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:23 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:It's been very well established that people like you and me tend to have reasonably pleasant encounters with police. It's not because we're more well-behaved when cops are on power trips.
You don't know enough about me to say that. In point of fact you don't know anything about me at all except what I have revealed to you here.
Which is rather a lot, and certainly not significantly less than you know about me.

I know you're straight, white, cis, male, educated, fairly middle-class now whatever your upbringing. Every one of those things is advantageous when you're interacting with police.

it seems to have moved pretty far off topic.
Indeed. So here's some more police misbehavior you can try to twist into somehow the victims' fault:

Louisiana police kill a 6-year-old boy by shooting him several times in the head and chest.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:42 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:yes yes, all of the people throughout history that have fought back against bigoted police officers who sought to violate their civil rights should have all just sat down and stayed quiet because, why inconvenience yourself when your rights are being violated...just like....leave the island of Hawaii a bad yelp review or something when you get home.


And of course, avoid anything, no matter how reasonable, that could bother anyone anywhere.

If you can't see into the future and know what'll happen to offend anyone, the fault is entirely yours. Oh, and that's not all!

morriswalters wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Then how is there any point whatsoever in even saying it? That has never been on anyone's list of things to do on a nice vacation with their partner.
I could call an impulse defect of both them and of him. Where the bias that both of them brought to that moment set them up for what came next. However the narrative where they are pure and he is evil is more suitable to your bias. What conveniently happens when this comes up is that every narrative other than one that agrees with you is victim blaming.quote]

You're not just to blame, you're also defective. Probably impure as well.

This isn't victim blaming, or course. :roll: Really, the cop, also being defective, is the real victim here. Obviously.

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:44 pm UTC

OK. The father should be crucified if he survives.(I mean that as in nails through his hands). Put the cops on either side on their own crosses. Do you feel better? [/sarcasm] This will continue as long as we are armed to the teeth and a majority of the populace thinks that most problems can be solved by killing things.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:45 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:OK. The father should be crucified if he survives.(I mean that as in nails through his hands). Put the cops on either side on their own crosses. Do you feel better? [/sarcasm] This will continue as long as we are armed to the teeth and a majority of the populace thinks that most problems can be solved by killing things.


This problem is not the result of "a majority of the population".

This problem is very specifically a police issue. Why's that hard to accept?

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2151
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Lazar » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:25 pm UTC

America's largest police union carrying on like a bunch of thin-skinned thugs – no surprise.

"The right time and place will come up and we'll try to hurt him in the only way that seems to matter to him, and that's economically," Pasco says.

When asked if this was a threat, Pasco said no, at least not a physical threat. "Police officers protect people," he says. "They don't go out to hurt people."

I'm pretty sure this tantrum will do nothing but help The Hateful Eight. The police don't want you to see it!
Exit the vampires' castle.

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:39 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
morriswalters wrote:OK. The father should be crucified if he survives.(I mean that as in nails through his hands). Put the cops on either side on their own crosses. Do you feel better? [/sarcasm] This will continue as long as we are armed to the teeth and a majority of the populace thinks that most problems can be solved by killing things.


This problem is not the result of "a majority of the population".

This problem is very specifically a police issue. Why's that hard to accept?
This is off topic.
Spoiler:
If it weren't you wouldn't have to convince anyone. Let me lay it out. Politicians say we aren't safe. They run for office using that. The NRA and others bang same drum. What happens. People don't feel safe. We want more cops and fewer restrictions on guns. We put more cops on the street and the government gives them military surplus. Joy.

The law makes it easier to kill people who might be a threat. More people get armed. Now bad guys need to keep eye on civvys. Who have no standard for training at all. America, during all this is, bigoted to minorities in general, blacks in particular. Blacks having been fucked with for close to 300 years now are fed up and pissed off. So blacks figure they will get shot either way. So why not say fuck you to the man. They can't get jobs because America is structurally racist. Education is denied due to the the effects of poverty on the black community. Young men sell drugs to get money, respect or whatever.

But this increases crime and raises the general paranoia. And because structural racism exists, more blacks end up in prison for drug offenses than whites. A perfect training ground for crime and one having lifelong effects on employment. More paranoia and thus more guns. I could go on but to what point. In this fucked up mess are cops who are no better than general public. But who have to fuck with low lifes as a general rule. They end up forgetting most people aren't really bad guys, so they fuck with everybody. Cops are dicks by a design of the system. If you intent is to fix cops guess what?

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26824
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:40 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:This problem is not the result of "a majority of the population".

This problem is very specifically a police issue. Why's that hard to accept?
If it weren't you wouldn't have to convince anyone.
Tyndmyr isn't talking about "anyone", he's talking about you. Why do you find it so difficult to accept that this is a police issue? Do you believe the politicians and the NRA when they spew propaganda to get elected?

If you don't, why even bring them up to answer a question directed at you personally? If you do believe them, why are you so gullible?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:20 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Tyndmyr isn't talking about "anyone", he's talking about you. Why do you find it so difficult to accept that this is a police issue? Do you believe the politicians and the NRA when they spew propaganda to get elected?
Really? Reality tells me otherwise. Politicians and the NRA and believe, is that combination an oxymoron?
gmalivuk wrote:If you don't, why even bring them up to answer a question directed at you personally? If you do believe them, why are you so gullible?
Sometimes you just have to do something you know you'll regret. An impulse control issue I suppose. However liars and thieves that they are you won't solve the problem unless you treat with them. Because they control the only resource that matters in this fight. Money and its associated political power. Wall of text.
Spoiler:
If he was questioning me personally, he wasting his time and mine. According to you I'm not at risk because I'm a white male. When I was interested in criminal things, my good sense overruled my baser nature most of the time, and in addition I was lucky. Unless I hit a bad probability curve the police will never be an issue for me. Because I don't make myself a target. And I'm neither black nor gay. To all intents and purposes a gun carrying member of the NRA is a greater risk to me than the police. The bottom line is that for me the police aren't a problem any more. A non issue. Consider that against the racial makeup of America, made up of people somewhat like me. From your perspective what makes it worse, is that I'll be dead before things go all to hell, as they eventually will.

The problem is easy to lay at the feet of the police since they are the forward facing part of the problem. However my overall danger level is more closely related to people closer to me. According to the FBI's Crime database I'm at greater risk from my friends and acquaintances. Of homicide by gun. My wife will shoot me before a cop does, since she has more reasons.

However I'm all about having uniform, enforced training and reporting procedures in place. With nation wide, reliable statistics we may be able to show the public at large what you and I believe to be true. The public of course won't believe it since their cohorts are just as racist as the police. Let me know if Congress wakes up and makes it a priority. To this point if has fallen on deaf ears. Also let me know when someone wants to raise taxes to pay for it. I don't see this happening. These aren't police problems. And without that data your argument will always be weak. And without some form of enforceable national standard you will have to do the job piece mill as Justice is currently doing. And given the racist turn of the general public which also includes the members of the bar and prosecutors you have a perfect storm for achieving nothing. Again these aren't police problems. In terms of why do I care, I have children and grandchildren.

And if you want a trifecta of doom consider a all Republican Presidency with the Donald or Carson in the big seat and Republican majorities in both houses.

User avatar
ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby ObsessoMom » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:41 am UTC

Somewhat OT in this thread, I know, but here's an example of police getting something at least partially right. Not entirely, though.

The knife-wielding student who planned a killing rampage at UC Merced was still "chased down by campus police and shot to death" (is fatally shooting a knife-wielder really the best way to contain the threat he or she poses? Really?), but at least the county sheriff did his best to try to dampen anti-Muslim sentiment afterwards:

While armchair observers on social media were quick to point to Mohammad’s mere name as evidence of terrorism, Warnke said that was not the case.

Wearing his signature cowboy hat, the sheriff told a crowd of reporters Thursday “there is nothing to indicate this was anything other than a teenage boy who got upset with fellow classmates.”

Asked if the manifesto made any references to Allah, [Merced County Sheriff Verne] Warnke said there were, but dismissed any suggestion that Mohammad was motivated by religion.

“His belief was through the Muslim faith, but there’s nothing to indicate anything other than that,” Warnke said. “It’d be like a Christian referring to the Lord Jesus.”

“You’ve got to remember there are a lot of Muslim-faith that are very kind, gentle, loving people and to have one person do this, you can’t group that whole section of folks into that. It’s just not right,” Warnke said.

Read more here: http://www.mercedsunstar.com/news/local ... rylink=cpy

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26824
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:56 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Tyndmyr isn't talking about "anyone", he's talking about you. Why do you find it so difficult to accept that this is a police issue? Do you believe the politicians and the NRA when they spew propaganda to get elected?
Really? Reality tells me otherwise. Politicians and the NRA and believe, is that combination an oxymoron?
What are you even talking about? Reality tells you what otherwise? I asked a question, so "reality tells me otherwise" doesn't even make sense as a response.

He asked you why it's so difficult for you to accept that it's a police issue, and you responded with an "explanation" of why many in the general public refuse to accept that it's a police issue (i.e. they buy into political propaganda). I asked you whether you believe that propaganda.

A question which you are apparently unwilling or unable to answer?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Coyne
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:07 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Coyne » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:15 am UTC

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — A small-town police officer on trial for fatally shooting an unarmed motorist in the back testified Wednesday in her murder trial that she believed the man had a gun and she feared for her safety as he lay [face down, stunned] on the ground.

Hummelstown Officer Lisa Mearkle told jurors she believed David Kassick was still a threat even after she shocked him repeatedly with a stun gun.

Officer who shot motorist in back says she feared he had gun

Acquitted.
In all fairness...

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:44 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I asked you whether you believe that propaganda.
No. And neither do I buy it as a pure police problem. For the reasons I outlined. Coyne's post highlight's the problem. If it were a purely police problem the outcome might not have been an acquittal. Cops didn't let her off, a jury did.

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Diadem » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:10 am UTC

Coyne wrote:HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — A small-town police officer on trial for fatally shooting an unarmed motorist in the back testified Wednesday in her murder trial that she believed the man had a gun and she feared for her safety as he lay [face down, stunned] on the ground.

Hummelstown Officer Lisa Mearkle told jurors she believed David Kassick was still a threat even after she shocked him repeatedly with a stun gun.

Officer who shot motorist in back says she feared he had gun

Acquitted.

It's amazing how much more natural it feels in this case to take the side of the police officer, just because she is a woman. I'm disappointed in myself. I know no one is without bias, but I really thought mine wouldn't be so blatant.

Having watched the video though there's not much sympathy left. Holy shit that was gruesome.

The worst part is that she might not be lying about feeling threatened. Because there's something very, very, very wrong if you feel threatened in a situation like that. Insanity might be a good defence here, except it's not just her being insane, it's the entire police culture.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Chen » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:46 pm UTC



Certainly not the 6 year old, but if the father was actually backing the car into officers you could certainly blame him for it. That said, whether that backing up into them thing is true or not, will need to be seen. That's a fairly common excuse used.

And man, I love how they add autistic to the headline there as if it's somehow relevant at all. Fucking sensationalism.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26824
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:01 pm UTC

It's not relevant in this case because they weren't interacting with the kid directly, though cops do have a pretty awful history with people who aren't neurotypical and able-bodied.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Chen » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:46 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:It's not relevant in this case because they weren't interacting with the kid directly, though cops do have a pretty awful history with people who aren't neurotypical and able-bodied.


Sure, but that makes it even worse in this headline since it makes you think that this IS one of those cases.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:14 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:If he was questioning me personally, he wasting his time and mine. According to you I'm not at risk because I'm a white male.


You are at *less* personal risk. Police totally can and do beat or kill white males, too. They just have certain biases in whom they beat and kill. That isn't the same as "not at risk" entirely. Even if you were, one should be able to believe facts even without being in personal risk of death.

And yes, this topic is pretty obviously about police. Generalizing it to the entire population is missing the point. Police are not violent in the same way as the general population.

Blaming the juries is also not entirely satisfactory. Sure, juries are not necessarily perfect, but you deal with a LOT of the justice system before you get to a jury. The police have ample opportunity to frame things a certain way, and present the jury with a viewpoint that is as biased towards the police as possible. And a great deal of the problem happens without juries really having a way to get involved at all. You can't really fix this by just focusing on juries.

Diadem wrote:The worst part is that she might not be lying about feeling threatened. Because there's something very, very, very wrong if you feel threatened in a situation like that. Insanity might be a good defence here, except it's not just her being insane, it's the entire police culture.


Fear without reason should never be a valid defense for murder.

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby DSenette » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:17 pm UTC

http://gawker.com/report-louisiana-poli ... 1740921296

apparently they're completely separating themselves from the story about the guy backing up in the vehicle
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

User avatar
Coyne
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:07 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Coyne » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:46 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:http://gawker.com/report-louisiana-police-dramatically-walk-back-explana-1740921296

apparently they're completely separating themselves from the story about the guy backing up in the vehicle


They're doing much more than that. Early reports had indicated there was an arrest warrant for Few; nothing about that here. Any so-called argument between Few and his wife was apparently over before the cops got there.

And now we find out that the kid was pointed out to the police, specifically...wouldn't one expect that to increase the caution with which they use weapons:? Indicated to the wife, not the police.

And then the final blow: the not so subtle hint in the last paragraph that there may have been bad blood between one of the officers and Few.

Walked back and walked back and walked right off the cliff...

Up until this article, I had suspended any judgement on the event, on the grounds that it wasn't clear what had happened yet. But this is starting to sound like a hit.
Last edited by Coyne on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In all fairness...

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:25 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:And now we find out that the kid was pointed out to the police, specifically.
Reread.
Moments later, she said, as the cars pulled away from the light, she saw two marshals’ cars—marked in black and white—approaching from behind with their lights flashing. She looked into Few’s car as he pulled away, and he was pointing at his son’s head, indicating that he was in the car and he wasn’t sure what to do.
Multiple adults murder one child. It's been clear from the first.

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Chen » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:44 pm UTC

Yeah I read that as pointing out the kid to the mother not the police. Not that that absolves the police of anything. Considering the other part says the car was shot while perpendicular to the officers, definitely goes against that whole "backing into us" story. Seems there's some bad blood between the PD and the marshalls too. Probably means they won't be helping cover it up. So yay for that I guess.

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby DSenette » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:48 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
Coyne wrote:And now we find out that the kid was pointed out to the police, specifically.
Reread.
Moments later, she said, as the cars pulled away from the light, she saw two marshals’ cars—marked in black and white—approaching from behind with their lights flashing. She looked into Few’s car as he pulled away, and he was pointing at his son’s head, indicating that he was in the car and he wasn’t sure what to do.
Multiple adults with badges murder one child. It's been clear from the first.

fixed that for you
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4585
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:02 pm UTC

AP compiles one of the most comprehensive reports on police officers committing sexual assault or other sex crimes. All told, AP found about 1000 cases in a six year period where an officer had lost their badge as a result of sex crimes, but also note that 1) not all states actually track this information and 2) as this information only represents confirmed cases where an officer lost their badge, the data is greatly underrepresentative of the problem.

Trigger warning for the link. Goes into some graphic detail about a few specific cases.

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:fixed that for you
It didn't need fixing. And as a father, assuming you are one, you shouldn't need telling.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26824
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:32 pm UTC

Shouldn't need telling about what?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby DSenette » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:36 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Shouldn't need telling about what?

if your kid is in the car, and someone else shoots your kid...you are at fault for your kid being shot
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:40 pm UTC

That your first obligation is to your child. Whatever was going to happen to him, the father shouldn't have rabbited. The cops should burn. But the father should too. And this isn't victim blaming because the only victim here is the child. Is that clear enough?

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26824
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:42 pm UTC

Choosing to completely disregard the father as any kind of victim here doesn't magically make what you're doing not victim-blaming.

Also, if there are angry men with guns shooting at you, getting out of there as quickly as possible is fulfilling your obligation to your child.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests