Police misbehavior thread

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Angua » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:53 am UTC

It's mindboggling, isn't it? Even an 'I'm sorry that you felt we acted wrongly' would be better than that reaction, which is basically, screw you for being upset that we pointed a loaded gun in your child's face, we can totally justify that and so you shouldn't complain ever.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:40 pm UTC

Exit the vampires' castle.

sardia

Re: Criminal Justice System misbehavior thread

Postby sardia » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:37 am UTC

We always trash talk the cops in this thread, so let's expand this a bit to include Prosecutors. The vast majority of the death penalty cases in the US come from only 16 counties. All of these counties share the same three traits that result in white people lawfully (despite ethically dubious reasoning) but disproportionately executing black people.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/magaz ... lives.html
What separates the 16 counties where the death penalty regularly endures from the rest of the country, where it is fading away? “The people who get the death penalty tend to live in places with overaggressive prosecutors and defense lawyers who aren’t up to the task of defending against them — that’s a double whammy,” says Robert J. Smith, who directs the project. “Then in some places there’s a third element: a cultural legacy of racial bias and exclusion. It’s just not true that we execute the people who are the most culpable.”

My favorite gem is Angela Corey. This bitch is so zealous that she funded the candidate that ran for the public defender's office. That candidate then followed through on the campaign promise to gut the public defender's budget. Not having a budget made it really easy for Angela Corey to boost her own prosecuting stats because the defending lawyers had no money to you know, defend. This lets her kill more black people, a tasks she calls justice. It's not like she's just a hardass, as her record clearly shows her reserving prosecutorial discretion...for white people*. After that the story goes back into the boring story where racism hasn't gone away, institutionalized, wake up white privilege, etc etc.

* Statistically, more whites than blacks received lenient sentences from her. Whites charged as juveniles, blacks as adults. Life vs Death penalty for blacks, the list goes on and on. For the privileged whites out there, this is what institutional modern racism looks like. No explicit hate, just casual indifference while reserving mercy & generosity to whites.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:54 am UTC

I just stumbled across this article. It's a bit of a tangled mess in terms of its timeline. In chronological order ... I think ...

Gantt’s troubles began in 2004 when he received a call from a Navy friend, who was a San Francisco deputy sheriff. The deputy asked Gantt to check on a mutual military friend who had been arrested by Oakland police on suspicion of rape. Gantt visited him in jail, and the suspect told the officer he was innocent, Rains wrote.

Although not involved in the rape investigation, Gantt obtained a copy of the rape victim’s written statement from the records division. He took the document to an Alameda County prosecutor and asked if the office would likely charge Gantt’s friend based on the statement, Rains wrote. Gantt did not ask for any favors, Rains stressed.

“Despite the fact that it would constitute serious misconduct for any Oakland police officer to show a criminal defense lawyer a copy of a police report concerning the lawyer’s client before the arraignment, OPD made no effort to (investigate),” Rains wrote.

During arbitration, Rains told the judge the deputy chief who recommended termination for Gantt had used his rank to alter another case involving a person he was mentoring who had been arrested for drugs and guns. A probation officer said the deputy chief had asked her to show his associate “some love,” Rains wrote. Neither the chief nor deputy chief at the time were named in the report.

In 2006, Rains wrote a detailed account of Gantt’s earlier troubles in the department for the PORAC Legal Defense Fund, a fund organized by the state’s law enforcement lobby. In the article, he described the reforms in the department after the Riders police-brutality scandal in 2000 as the “reign of terror,” highlighting what he saw as mistreatment of Gantt.

Gantt allegedly left evidence at the home of a mistress who would also do his investigative paperwork, according to sources. The confidential documents were part of Gantt’s investigation into the shooting death of 66-year-old Judy Salamon, who was killed in July 2013 after using her cellphone to take a video of her suspected killers committing a crime in her Maxwell Park neighborhood.

“Sgt. Gantt has been, and continues to be, one of the most gifted criminal investigators at the Oakland Police Department, and I look forward to his return to work after some of the current hype and hysteria surrounding that agency subsides,” his attorney, Michael Rains, said in an email.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:46 am UTC

The three paragraphs you left our of your quote (between the second and third paragraphs) make things a bit more clear as to what the initial issue was (him showing the person accused of rape the police report about said rape).

addams

Postby addams » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:06 pm UTC

I don't know how to explain what goes on inside the US.
The US is Not a shining light on the hill.

I think this is a grim U-Tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0j98WLuLPg
A Kentucky judge got a surprise Friday: A defendant who went to court without pants. The woman’s attorney claimed jail officials in Jefferson County wouldn’t give her a jumpsuit or feminine hygiene products, though she had been locked up for three days.

She stayed compliant and she lived through the experience.
Women have told me similar and worse stories.

It happens in cages.
Very little leaks out.

What can you or I do to stop Police Misbehavior?
They follow their training. The training sucks!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:15 pm UTC

Chen wrote:The three paragraphs you left our of your quote (between the second and third paragraphs) make things a bit more clear as to what the initial issue was (him showing the person accused of rape the police report about said rape).

You missed out the "allegedly" there. It wasn't really clear one way or the other from the article, and without doing quite a lot of digging I couldn't come up witha way to interpret their intentional vagueness as anything other than "it's not clear one way or the other." The rest of it, though, about the stuff we do know did happen and the fact he was in a position to do the further stuff we do know he did, I left in, in what I still hope and am still not sure was correct chronological order. There's some stuff there that I thought might be of interest, like the idea that "one of the most gifted criminal investigators at the Oakland Police Department" had "allegedly left evidence at the home of a mistress who would also do his investigative paperwork," although that does have the "according to sources" on the end that also dodges asserting the allegations were ever even made, or the way reforms that followed a police brutality scandal were called a "reign of terror." Not the police brutality. Not the scandal. The reforms.

Where “the Riders” are today

U.S. District Judge Thelton Henderson on Wednesday approved a major reform plan for the Police Department with an unprecedented level of federal oversight.

Despite Vazquez’s fears, not one of his fellow officers was convicted in the high-profile criminal case that portrayed the group as rogue cops who terrorized West Oakland, beating suspects, planting drugs, falsely arresting them and making up police reports in a quest to clean up drug-infested neighborhoods.

The city settled a class-action lawsuit by paying out $11 million to 119 people who claimed they were brutalized by police, but Hornung also received a $1.5 million settlement from the city for wrongful termination.

Keith Batt, the rookie police officer who in 2000 blew the whistle on the men who came to be known as “the band of rogue officers” was celebrated as a hero and went on to become a decorated police officer. But he still feels the sting of being ostracized and intimidated by people he once believed in.

“I’m proud of the decisions I made,” Batt said recently in his first interview since the Riders case surfaced. “I am disappointed that all of the reforms outlined in the negotiated settlement agreement have not been implemented after so many years, but am glad that the issue of police accountability is not forgotten.”

What happened Wednesday: U.S. District Judge Thelton Henderson approved a reform plan stemming from the Riders case that includes federal oversight of the Oakland Police Department.

That's their "reign of terror" is it?

The Daily Show has already covered this "federal oversight" thing.

There's got to be a technical term for disproportionate perception of how much something is adversely affecting a particular group.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:44 pm UTC

He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:09 pm UTC

I'm not sure if the purple thing is a knife, but the black and orange knife is probably legal: the blade looks to be 3.7 inches long, measured against the bills (thanks for the ruler, NYPD). Unless it's loose enough to be called a gravity knife, but even in NYC, gravity knife means you have to be able to shake it open by holding the blade or handle alone.

The purple thing is shorter.

So, odds are, even their pretense for the stop is crap.
In all fairness...

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:49 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:I'm not sure if the purple thing is a knife, but the black and orange knife is probably legal: ...<snip> ...So, odds are, even their pretense for the stop is crap.

The article that precedes that one is somewhat more illuminating. the TL;DR is that the "Gravity Knife" arrests are classified as "Weapons" related arrests, and not categorized more specifically for city crime stats, which makes "stop and frisk" policies look better, since they result in "weapons confiscations", not "blue-collar laborer arrested for pocket tool". Since a "Gravity Knife" arrest is likely to be some guy with a work-knife in his pocket, odds are that he's not going to think he's doing something wrong and won't put up a fight when confronted by the police, making it an easy arrest (compared to someone who's carrying a proper weapon and/or has intent to use that weapon), and the police are under administrative pressure to make arrests.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:41 am UTC

West Virginia cop fired for not murdering a (black) man.
While Mader says he was trying to deescalate the situation, two more cops arrived and shot R.J. Williams dead as he allegedly walked toward them, waving his gun. The gun he had was unloaded. What he needed was help. What he needed was a man who knew how to assess a problem and bring in skilled support to resolve it. Stephen Mader was that man, but this is America, not Afghanistan. Here, our police don't give a damn about your depression or suicidal tendencies or your young children or your future. If they deem you a threat, you're dead.

The shooting remains under investigation by the West Virginia Civil Liberties Union, as well was Williams' family.

Eleven days after the shooting, when Mader returned to work, he was reportedly told by Police Chief Rob Alexander and City Manager Travis Blosser that he was being placed on administrative leave while they completed an investigation to "see if you are going to be an officer here. You put two other officers in danger."

Three weeks later, Stephen Mader received his termination letter. In it, it said he was fired because he "failed to eliminate a threat."
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:10 am UTC

Dauric wrote:
Coyne wrote:I'm not sure if the purple thing is a knife, but the black and orange knife is probably legal: ...<snip> ...So, odds are, even their pretense for the stop is crap.

The article that precedes that one is somewhat more illuminating.

This is also illuminating: NYC pays $57G to electrician after cop wrongfully arrested him for utility knife. After the officer failed to demonstrate opening it "by gravity", the prosecutor argued it was good enough that the officer believed it was a gravity knife.

Interesting to think about a system where an officer can "believe" you committed a crime and that's good enough for conviction.

gmalivuk wrote:West Virginia cop fired for not murdering a (black) man.

Three weeks later, Stephen Mader received his termination letter. In it, it said he was fired because he "failed to eliminate a threat."

I wonder if the policy and outcome would have been different if Williams had been white?
In all fairness...

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:06 am UTC

I had a double-take before I realised they didn't mean 57 gigadollars...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:31 am UTC

phlip wrote:I had a double-take before I realised they didn't mean 57 gigadollars...

While I never even thought of it being the giga- prefix. In money, 57 G's (grand) is just thousands. Grew up with that and never even thought of it as a conflict.

Obviously it is a conflict. Should I file a style complaint? Nah.
In all fairness...

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:04 pm UTC

Isn't the k prefix more normal for thousands? I was confused by the use of G too.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:56 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Isn't the k prefix more normal for thousands? I was confused by the use of G too.
The G isn't a prefix; it's a self-contained unit.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:10 pm UTC

I meant suffix, added to the end of numbers to multiply them by 1000.

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:10 pm UTC

It's an American thing, it doesn't need to make any sense.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:24 pm UTC

It makes sense, I just hadn't seen it before.

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:35 am UTC

Coyne wrote:Interesting to think about a system where an officer can "believe" you committed a crime and that's good enough for conviction.

Note that an arrest technical only requires "probable cause" (though in practice that tends to be optional), a conviction is supposed to require much more.
It sounds like the lawyer was arguing against the false arrest claim, there was no "conviction" possibility, just whether or not the city pays.
"But the prosecutor’s concession was not good enough for city lawyer Jenny Weng, who was fighting Perez's lawsuit. "

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:13 am UTC

I think I need to elaborate a little.

The term "a grand" is US slang for $1000 US. It started as underworld (organized crime) slang and derives from the sense of "grand" as in a great or large amount (think $1000 US in 1920). It was usually spoken: "Tony just bet ten grand." Even that argot was adapted by shortening it to just G (written) or (spoken) G or G's as in, "Tony just bet ten G's."

It's now commonly understood vernacular in the US...so common that when I saw "$57G" in an article title, I thought nothing of it. These days, of course, G much more often refers to the SI giga- prefix, meaning billion, 109 (for computer memory, 10243). But for money, G in the US so commonly means $1000, it would confuse all us US folk if anyone used it to mean billion.

As used in the article title, G is neither a prefix nor suffix, it is a standalone unit, and always follows the amount. These days, yes, K (upper case, referring to "kilo") is often used as well: "$57K" and it is also treated as a standalone unit in this usage.

The article I linked above gives several other slang terms for US monetary denominations, but their list is by no means comprehensive. The Wikipedia article on Slang terms for money (US section) has many more slang terms. (But probably not all the terms, either.)

You might get the idea we in the US talk about money a lot, but that we're embarrassed to talk amounts or just plain say, "money." (Money is dirty, dirty, dirty...)
In all fairness...

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:08 am UTC

Coyne wrote:It was usually spoken: "Tony just bet ten grand." Even that argot was adapted by shortening it to just G (written) or (spoken) G or G's as in, "Tony just bet ten G's."
I've never seen it written before, just spoken but I am pretty sure there shouldn't be an apostrophe there. It's the plural of "g" not possessive or a contraction.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:28 pm UTC

I believe most style guides say to use the apostrophe when pluralising single letters. It doesn't make a lot of logical sense, but it just reads a lot easier.

Um... which is why the police are terrible. Yes.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:41 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:These days, yes, K (upper case, referring to "kilo") is often used as well: "$57K" and it is also treated as a standalone unit in this usage.
I've always used lower-case "k" for thousands. Upper-case "K" is, Kelvin, Ketamine or the end of a Morse code transmission.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:26 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:
Coyne wrote:These days, yes, K (upper case, referring to "kilo") is often used as well: "$57K" and it is also treated as a standalone unit in this usage.
I've always used lower-case "k" for thousands. Upper-case "K" is, Kelvin, Ketamine or the end of a Morse code transmission.

This is correct. The kilo prefix is supposed to be written with a lowercase k. Which is actually inconsistent with other prefixes, since generally positive prefixes are uppercase and negative ones lowercase. I assume the reason kilo is lowercase is to avoid confusion with Kelvin.

If you're using kilo as a standalone unit though I think both lowercase and uppercase usages are acceptable
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:45 am UTC

I think it's incorrect to describe either K/k or G as standalone units. They're simply a way of expressing the number, not the unit. Even when used in quantities of money, the unit is the currency the money is in, eg "US dollar". $15G or $15k is just another way of writing $15000.

Unless you're actually writing "15G" (in an American context) then the G stands for "1000 USD", so it would be a standalone unit used that way.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:04 pm UTC

So about those cops...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Trebla

Postby Trebla » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:So about those cops...

I think most cops will use 'G' as a standalone unit. And when they use 'k' they're usually talking about kilograms of some substance or another.

Oh wait, that's not what you meant. :lol:

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:30 pm UTC

Four Spanish police arrested for drug theft

Seven men, including four police officers, have been arrested in Spain for allegedly stealing cannabis resin from drug traffickers in an ambush to sell it themselves, police said Thursday.

When the exchange of drugs took place "five other people appeared, who were armed and wearing police vests and shirts and carrying police documents as if it was a raid," the statement said.

The five seized the drugs and tied up the traffickers who were selling it with rope and abandoned them in a desolate area, the statement added.

Four policemen and a security guard were among those arrested. The suspects have been charged with drug trafficking, membership of an organized crime group, kidnapping, illegal arms possession, violent robbery and impersonating police.

Your gang seems to have forgotten to pretend not to be a gang. They've now charged themselves with pretending to be themselves.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:43 pm UTC

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/17/us/po ... f=politics
Major crime bill (designed to reduce sentences of nonviolent offenders) with support from both parties, somehow collapses because of Trump. This means that there will continue to be more nonviolent drug arrests, which will lead to more police seizures, abuses, and wasted money.
A major criminal-justice overhaul bill seemed destined to be the bipartisan success story of the year, consensus legislation that showed lawmakers could still rise above politics. The legislation is aimed at nonviolent criminals, mainly drug offenders.

Then the election, Donald J. Trump’s demand for “law and order” and a series of other political calculations got in the way. Senate Republicans divided on the wisdom of reducing federal mandatory minimum sentences. Other Republicans, unhappy that President Obama was reducing hundreds of federal prison sentences on his own, did not want to give him a legacy victory. A surge in crime in some urban areas gave opponents of the legislation a new argument. Now, the Senate authors of the legislation say it is effectively dead.

When Trump made his central theme 'law and order' and emphasized how dangerous America was, it gave fresh ammunition that we shouldn't look soft on crime from Republicans. From there, support collapsed amid changes to reduce prosecutions on white collared crime, and not wanting Obama to have another victory.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:12 pm UTC

- I thought they were sayajin, as in Dragon Ball Z, therefore I shot them. Alas they died, so maybe they were mere humans after all. But how was I supposed to know they were not sayajin?
- You thought they were sayajin? Then you are free to go.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:57 am UTC

Hey now, if wasting taxpayer money to turn otherwise relatively productive citizens into a permanent underclass and thus causing untold amounts of damage and placing an increased tax burden on everyone else is wrong, I don't want to be right.

/sarcasm

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:13 am UTC

This is really awful.

At least they managed to bring the guy suspected of making those bombs in without killing him. It's too difficult for someone standing in the road with their hands up though.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

HES

Postby HES » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:14 pm UTC

"[He] was tasered before being shot four times"

What is the fucking point of having non-lethal (or, "less-lethal") weapons if you then shoot the guy dead anyway?
He/Him/His Image

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:13 pm UTC

It's straight up murder. The guy had his arms in the air, was complying with instructions, wasn't doing anything threatening.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:13 pm UTC

HES wrote:"[He] was tasered before being shot four times"

What is the fucking point of having non-lethal (or, "less-lethal") weapons if you then shoot the guy dead anyway?

'slike killing someone with a spoon.

Hurts more that way.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:26 pm UTC

He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:29 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:It's straight up murder. The guy had his arms in the air, was complying with instructions, wasn't doing anything threatening.

He probably wasn't complying completely - he was walking away from the officers and it looks like he might have intended to get back into the vehicle. Not that that's even close to a reason to shoot someone.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:15 pm UTC

every time i have been detained by cops outside a vehicle they tell me to put my hands on the vehicle. it may have been autopilot like, you put your hands up and turn around next to the car and put them on the car, that is the unthreatening position of compliance.

anyway it was murder.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:51 pm UTC

The explanation given was he was reaching into the car for a weapon. Which is absolutely ridiculous because THE WINDOW WAS STILL ROLLED UP.

Return to “News & Articles”