Police misbehavior thread

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Sableagle » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:05 pm UTC

Just going from this thread to panel 3.

The idea of showing Elliot this whole thread at once was ... kind of like telling Grace about WW2.
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:32 pm UTC

And for those here who don’t know who Grace is, suffice it to say that she is an intelligent, if naive girl who never got any formal education before high school, and thus had never heard about WWII (or any other major wars), or the horrors thereof, until her Junior year history class. The mere concept of organized slaughter had never really entered her mind before that, and the revelation hit her extremely hard emotionally.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:18 am UTC

Anyway, speaking of cops misbehaving, here's another horrifying article about that Facebook group a sizable fraction of CBP agents were members of.
On Wednesday, Politico reported that CBP officials and Border Patrol leadership knew about the secret group for up to three years, with one former DHS official stating that CBP’s public affairs office monitored the “I’m 10-15” group “as a source of intelligence” to see “what people are talking about.”

Posts on the “I’m 10-15” group routinely fantasized about violent or deadly action that could be taken against migrants.

Just a few weeks before the deaths of a father and his daughter while crossing the Rio Grande captured national attention, the Border Patrol Facebook group was filled with posts about alligator sightings in the river. “Medieval solutions to a modern problem,” Israel Valentin wrote. “Let’s stock the river with gators,” suggested John Tedford, who lists himself as a retired Border Patrol agent. “This needs to be crowd funded,” added Riley Glöck, whose recent postings indicate that he operates helicopters for the federal government. “Can the river ecosystem support sharks?”
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:38 am UTC

(sigh...) gmalivuk; Someone Has to bring it up.
It is shameful. Those men and women are the threat.

I have so much pent-up desdane for the members of that group!

I'm not big on tattoos.
But,...Maybe those Posters should have 10-15 Tattooed onto their faces.
So that we will know them by what they have done. Forever!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:04 pm UTC

I'd say the third and fourth panels of the comic are very relevant. The implication being that a person would have to be naive to believe the only reason someone would go into law enforcement is to help people.

My perception is that there are a lot of those naive people.

Just for example, one of the other reasons people go into LE is to have "authoritah" over other people. If you can't watch Cartman using his nightstick on a citizen and sending him to jail for merely disrespecting his "authoritah" and, in that, see a resemblance to an ugly reality, then you might be one of those people.

The frustrating part is that I think most people going to LE do so with the intention of helping people. The ones who don't cause damage far outside their minority presence. Especially recently, as better information has become available, we can see that most of the damage is done by a relatively few officers. What to do about them? The problem is that we are hampered by the naive people, who assume that any officer must have intended to help someone, regardless of what they did.

Take the recent shoplifting incident. Who did that help? Did it help the shoplifters? Did it help the store, proportionately speaking? Did it help the citizens of Phoenix, proportionately speaking? Did it help all of the citizens of our great nation? Did it really, in the long run, help the police?

But can we do something about it? It's really hard, because of all of the people saying the officers must have meant to help someone, they can't have any other reason for doing what they did. We must find the reason, so these officers can get back to "helping" people.
In all fairness...

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:35 pm UTC

@gmal the right's use of humor is dangerously effective at delaying and preventing an effective response. ' Kill all the brown people? I was clearly joking. '

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:01 pm UTC

Trooper runs stop sign, collides with car, handcuffs other driver

A witness who did not want to be identified said troopers ordered the driver to the ground with their stun guns drawn and cuffed him.

"They saw he was bleeding through his nose, through his mouth,” Maria Martinez said. “His shoulder was bleeding, and they didn't care about that. They just kept telling him, ‘You hit a cop, you hit a cop, you hit a cop.’"

That's basically the default state they go into: Motor vehicle accident? Must respond with violence! Both of these officers should be arrested for public endangerment and false imprisonment, and whoever is responsible for them being on the force should be fired for incompetence.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:03 am UTC

Hip-Hip-Hurray for home cameras!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:46 pm UTC

And here we have Being A Police Officer While Black:

https://www.theroot.com/watch-white-sec ... 1836356876

An Ohio police officer in full uniform, you know, the uniform that clearly identifies him as a police officer and as such gives him reason to have a radio, taser, and gun, faced some scary and tense moments when a security guard pulled a gun on him and tried to arrest the POLICE OFFICER for carrying a gun.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:04 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:And here we have Being A Police Officer While Black:

An Ohio police officer in full uniform, you know, the uniform that clearly identifies him as a police officer and as such gives him reason to have a radio, taser, and gun, faced some scary and tense moments when a security guard pulled a gun on him and tried to arrest the POLICE OFFICER for carrying a gun.

Jesus Christ. if I read it right, the security guard insisted that the cop leave the cops weapon outside. The cop refused, and the security guard escalated to brandishing a weapon. The cop retreated and filled a lawsuit later.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:29 pm UTC

sardia wrote:
JudeMorrigan wrote:And here we have Being A Police Officer While Black:

Jesus Christ. if I read it right, the security guard insisted that the cop leave the cops weapon outside. The cop refused, and the security guard escalated to brandishing a weapon. The cop retreated and filled a lawsuit later.
I think you read it right.
That freak-a-doodle MallCop almost Killed a Man!

This shit has Got to Stop!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:37 pm UTC

On a positive note, I've now read one story about an American cop being threatened that didn't result in 63 bullets in the other guy.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:51 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:On a positive note, I've now read one story about an American cop being threatened that didn't result in 63 bullets in the other guy.
yes.
Because he is Black!
It's just Not Fair!

Back Men must show such constraint when White Men are allowed to be dangerously childish.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:14 am UTC

Mutex wrote:On a positive note, I've now read one story about an American cop being threatened that didn't result in 63 bullets in the other guy.

The other guy was an IRS guard, and the cop was black. Try this again with an uppity citizen, and he won't be so restrained. Or the cop won't get promoted for not being a cultural fit.

Edit: I'm being cynical today. Nobody died in this case, cops are still out of control.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:09 pm UTC

Who says prayer is completely unsuccessful?
Cop goes to Jail for repeated, hurtful Misbehavior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UANRvFN ... e=youtu.be

Of course, it is another case of Florida Man.
That is one weird State, Florida.

California is larger and tries harder,
But Florida wins Weird Men Award.

edit:
The news of justice followed closely by news of injustice.
The Police that Murdered Eric Garner will not be charged.
https://www.apnews.com/3c72405c9f874844a84b0ca658402078

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:38 pm UTC

addams wrote:Who says prayer is completely unsuccessful?

edit:

It's not an outlier. Florida is a large populous state that has a law that requires disclosure of all crimes. If you had a similar law in the coastal states, you would see the same thing.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:45 pm UTC

Last I checked, Florida had proportionally more coast than most other states.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:59 am UTC

sardia wrote:
addams wrote:Who says prayer is completely unsuccessful?

edit:

It's not an outlier. Florida is a large populous state that has a law that requires disclosure of all crimes. If you had a similar law in the coastal states, you would see the same thing.
Yes.
Yes.
Maybe.

Making fun of Florida Man is so much fun.
aww...Come On! They have Gators!

Okay.
Okay.
Police Misbehavior is serious and other States have Gators.
(..sigh...)

Here is some light misbehavior by Police.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ga ... &FORM=VIRE

The Police are warning people about Meth-Gators.
There is No Such Thing as Meth-Gators.

Shame on those Police for trying to start an Urban Myth about Meth.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

davidradio

Postby davidradio » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:20 am UTC

addams wrote:
sardia wrote:Transcript please? Google showed no relevant results. Not everyone watched YouTube.
It was a delightful story told by Molly Ivans.
Oh what a delight she was at every turn.

Molly Ivans:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Ivins
You can find loads of her talks online.

thank you!

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:58 am UTC

Someone asked recently about domestic violence by cops. I really, really hope that the situation in rural Alaska is unique to rural Alaska.

Dozens of convicted criminals have been hired as cops in rural Alaska. Sometimes, they’re the only applicants.

[...]

With low pay and few people wanting the jobs, it is that easy in some small Alaska communities for a convicted felon, even someone who has admitted to a sex crime or who was recently released from prison, to be hired with public money to work as a city police officer.

It’s also a violation of state public safety regulations, yet it happens all the time.

In Stebbins alone, all seven of the police officers working as of July 1 have pleaded guilty to domestic violence charges within the past decade. Only one has received formal law enforcement training of any kind.

[...]

ProPublica and the Anchorage Daily News reported in May that one in three Alaska communities has no local cops of any kind. In June, U.S. Attorney General William P. Barr declared a “law enforcement emergency” in rural Alaska, announcing $10.5 million in Justice Department spending to support village police.

In the villages where there are cops, a different problem has emerged. A first-of-its-kind investigation by the Daily News and ProPublica has found that at least 14 cities in Alaska have employed police officers whose criminal records should have prevented them from being hired under Department of Public Safety regulations. The news organizations identified more than 34 officers who should have been ineligible for these jobs. In all but three cases, the police hires were never reported by the city governments to the state regulatory board, as required.

In eight additional communities, local tribal governments have hired tribal police officers convicted of domestic violence or sex crimes.

All 42 of these tribal and city police officers have rap sheets that would prevent them from being hired by the Anchorage Police Department and its urban peers, as Alaska state troopers or even as private security guards most anywhere else in the United States. Many remain on the job today.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:22 am UTC

Oh....
Tribal ..???

Oh...Dear God!!
That's awful!

Indigenous women are targeted...and...
Oh,...MaMa Bear; I'm so scared for them.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:42 pm UTC

Another recent article about people who should not be in law enforcement. From the Los Angeles Times (annoying popup warning):

Deputy gangs have survived decades of lawsuits and probes. Can the FBI stop them?

For decades, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department has been under pressure to break up tattooed gangs of deputies accused of misconduct.

But senior department officials, county leaders and prosecutors have failed to root out a subculture of inked clubs that pervades the nation’s largest sheriff’s agency.

Now, the FBI has opened an investigation of these secret societies that seeks to accomplish what high-powered sheriffs, blue-ribbon commissions and millions of dollars in lawsuits over the last 50 years have not: identify deputies who brand themselves with the matching tattoos and determine whether the groups they belong to encourage or commit criminal behavior.

The details of the longer article are very interesting, if you can put up with the Los Angeles Times's popup ad annoyances.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:15 pm UTC

Article from Teh Grauniad. Opinion piece, but from a reporter and there's an interesting and relevant chunk in the middle regarding Freddie Gray; allegedly in response, the police reduced arrests by 40%. At the same time, reported crime has increased. So in the case of Baltimore, the alleged Ferguson Effect may be a real thing.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:04 pm UTC

So when the police were told they couldn't kill suspects in custody, they lost their enthusiasm for it?

Police budgets and numbers haven't dropped, right?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:50 pm UTC

It'd be more like if, hypothetically, doctors as a whole were hated by everyone for all the people dying on the operating table, justified hatred as minorities tend to die on the table more so than white people for "reasons", combined with a crapton of incompetent doctors due to medical school only being a 6 week course and some areas so desperate for doctors that they accept anyone with a pulse, and a backlash against hospitals resulted in doctors refusing to do surgery on risky patients.

Freddie Gray wasn't killed out of malice, but rather incompetence and/or indifference, though I would argue that death from indifference is far, far more vile than malice. Rather than become more competent, the police figure the easiest way to avoid accidents with the public was to avoid protecting the public.
Last edited by CorruptUser on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:51 pm UTC

I’m reading it as the cops being unwilling to get up close and personal with any suspects who might potentially be violent when they are no longer permitted to physically force suspects into submission.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:08 pm UTC

How is that the same? A doctor's job is literally to improve and save lives. A police officer's job is decidedly not.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:09 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:... job is literally to improve and save lives. A police officer's job is decidedly not.
Apparently not!
April: Andy Petherbridge added that three police officers are facing misconduct proceedings for the way they handled Ms Grice’s complaints about Lane: “The IOPC have confirmed to the family that disciplinary hearings against three officers will take place in April and May. Two police constables will face charges of gross misconduct and one police sergeant will face a charge of misconduct. A further three police officers will face management action.”

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... the-police

July: Grice was fined £90 by Sussex police for wasting police time, after it emerged she initially failed to disclose that she had previously been in a relationship with her eventual killer.

On Tuesday, a misconduct panel found that former officer Trevor Godfrey’s behaviour amounted to a breach of police rules. But, during the two-day hearing, he maintained that in the lead-up to her death, Grice wasn’t being harassed as she had sent her ex texts punctuated with kisses. He also claimed she had lied as a “smokescreen to disguise her affair”, so her new boyfriend did not find out that she was still seeing her ex; Godfrey considered the latter relationship to be consensual.

Recent video link: https://youtu.be/-pHKdmeW668?t=56

Detail from that:
In April, another officer was found to have committed gross misconduct when investigating Grice’s report that Lane had broken into her home with a stolen key. PC Mills would have been sacked, had he not already resigned.
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:20 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:How is that the same? A doctor's job is literally to improve and save lives. A police officer's job is decidedly not.

Anologies are like frogs; they generally dont survive being dissected. The medicine example actually isnt hypothetical, as many doctors do indeed refuse to do high risk surgeries because even if the doctor did everything right and the patient dies, that's a liability. But w/e.

idonno

Postby idonno » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:35 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Anologies are like frogs;
Some of them are stillborn. There is nothing comperable about messing up moving someone toward health and choosing to actively move someone toward death.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:47 pm UTC

Would a better analogy be soldiers refusing to do their job because of getting in trouble for collateral damage?

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:18 am UTC

There was no indifference to Freddy Gray - if they were indifferent then they wouldn't have arrested him in the first place. The police chose to use their authority over him, and because they are cops and not doctors they have no obligation to the well being of the people they interact with. The police were using violence to force compliance because that's what they are trained to do, and that is not justifiable; their actions were malicious and chosen specifically to cause harm because they see punishment as the primary way to get people to behave "properly".
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:56 am UTC

Oh....
Oh, no....
Fredy Gray.

Sandra Bland will be with me all the days of my life.
Now, Fredy Gray is there with her. It's so fucked up.

No.
No, I can't really understand.

It must be Terrifying for a person of color to see those flashing lights.
Spoiler:
I'm scared of those lights.
They might take my money.

Not my life....

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:26 pm UTC

Arlington, TX police officer performing a welfare check on a woman reported passed out in a grassy area ends up shooting and killing her as she lay there while trying to shoot a loose dog that was "mov[ing] toward the officer barking." He had been walking toward her down a long cement walkway or sidewalk, which she was lying at the edge of. When the dog left her side and started running along the walkway toward him, he backpedaled, raised his gun, and fired three shots at it...and thus directly at her. The dog was injured and is in quarantine. The woman happened to be the daughter of an Arlington Fire Dept. captain.

Arlington Police Officer Shoots, Kills Woman While Firing Gun At Loose Dog
Arlington Police Chief Will Johnson On Accidental Deadly Shooting Of Woman By Officer: ‘Everything About This Call Is An Absolute Tragedy’

The chief also helpfully added that "Clearly, this is not the outcome that the officer wanted" and "Miss Brooks was never the intended target of the officer's use of force" before following up with "The officer has been placed on routine administrative leave."
Hi you.
she/her

elasto

Postby elasto » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:05 pm UTC

Amazing how unarmed police officers in other countries manage to walk the streets despite the presence of barking dogs.

I guess when you have a hammer every barking dog looks like a nail.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:15 pm UTC

And when you carry lethal force, every threat looks like it needs to die.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:11 pm UTC

Hey, the woman was part of a conspiracy to bite an officer. Justified.
In all fairness...

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:06 pm UTC

Boris Johnson expands police stop and search powers to ‘reverse the balance of fear’

The prime minister plans to give police officers broad new search powers and increase the size of the prison system

"Well, that's ... might white of you." - Dirty Harry, The Enforcer

Writing in The Mail on Sunday, the Prime Minister backed his Home Secretary Priti Patel’s controversial claim that criminals should “literally feel terror.”
Reminder: that's the paper whose owner had dinner with itler and which printed the "Hurrah for the Blackshirts" front page, and they hate just about everything.

Mr Johnson explained: “I am announcing today that in all 43 police authorities in England and Wales, we are making clear that the police can and should make use of their stop and search powers.

“We are extending an existing pilot so that 8,000 more officers can decide to deploy stop-and-search across an area without a senior officer needing to give the go-ahead.

“The operation can be instituted by anyone of inspector rank and above; and the officer can proceed simply on the basis that he or she thinks a crime may be committed.”

Mr Johnson said that the policy would target “thugs,” adding: “I want the criminals to be afraid – not the public.”

He wrote: “We have the impression of a growing culture of insolence on the part of the thugs; and in the face of that sense of impunity – entirely misplaced – I believe the British public knows instinctively what we must do.”
Does that sound at all familiar from ... history ... or maybe from a "spot the logical fallacy" page?

And just to prove that even a BJ is better than a Trump:
“Frankly, this investment is long overdue. It is not enough just to catch the criminals, punish them and deter them from further crime. We must also do far more to turn their lives around, because our penal system is woefully ill-equipped to rehabilitate and reform.”
I don't see how extra spaces contributes much to reform and rehabilitation on its own, though.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:53 pm UTC

It is an utter impossibility to make criminals afraid without also making the public afraid, for at least two reasons—first, many criminals are under the delusion that, no matter what actual arrest and conviction statistics say, they personally will be the exceptional ones who will “get away with it”. Second, police are notoriously bad at separating offenders from non-offenders and tend to grab people based on their own bias or simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If police were perfect at identifying criminals, then there would be no need for courts. Ultimately, the net must be cast too widely or too narrowly, as there is nowhere within the spectrum that captures all criminals and no innocents.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:48 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:And just to prove that even a BJ is better than a Trump:
“Frankly, this investment is long overdue. It is not enough just to catch the criminals, punish them and deter them from further crime. We must also do far more to turn their lives around, because our penal system is woefully ill-equipped to rehabilitate and reform.”
I don't see how extra spaces contributes much to reform and rehabilitation on its own, though.

I think you are overlooking the investment potential to be made from "mental-health and residential-treatment facilities." Trump isn't, and now it looks as if Boris Johnson isn't either. And GEO Group is already active in the UK in addition to the US:

Wikipedia wrote:The GEO Group, Inc. (GEO) is a Florida-based company specializing in privatized corrections, detention, and mental health treatment. It maintains facilities in North America, Australia, South Africa, and the United Kingdom. As of 2017, GEO Group shares are mainly held by institutional investors (The Vanguard Group, BlackRock, Cohen and Steers, and others).

In 2015, the GEO Group's contracts with the U.S. federal government for operating prisons generated about 45% of its revenues. GEO Group facilities include prisons of all three security levels, immigration detention centers, minimum-security detention centers, and mental-health and residential-treatment facilities. It owns numerous facilities and, in other cases, operates state or federal facilities under contract.

Another interesting tidbit from the Wikipedia article on GEO Group (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEO_Group):

GEO and [its largest rival,] CoreCivic, each donated $250,000 supporting Trump's inaugural festivities, according to the corporations' spokesmen. GEO gave $275,000 to the pro-Trump super PAC Rebuilding America Now, according to FEC filings. A $100,000 donation had been made only a day after Sally Yates, at the Department of Justice, announced it would be phasing out its for-profit prison and detention contracts.

In April 2018, a wholly owned subsidiary of GEO Group called GEO Acquisitions II gave $125,000 to a political action committee in violation of the Federal Election Campaign Act, which bars companies with active contracts with the federal government from making political donations.

Return to “News & Articles”