Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Tiberius

Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.

Postby Tiberius » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:04 am UTC

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... 00000?lite

Apparently all suffering has been solved in the world because this women is being given a "small" fortune by the internet because she is spineless enough to allow a couple of twelve year olds to make her cry despite the fact that it's her job to keep the little fuckers in line.

lutzj

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

Postby lutzj » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:07 am UTC

These people generally have little training and essentially no authority. What should she have done?
addams wrote:I'm not a bot.
That is what a bot would type.

Newt

Postby Newt » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:08 am UTC

That's a little harsh on a 68 year old woman, don't you think? I guess at that age she might be having some spinal issues, though.

Negated

Postby Negated » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:47 am UTC

That's really harsh. If you feel she does not deserve a donation, just don't donate. There is no need to question whether people should or should not donate to her.

Ghostbear

Postby Ghostbear » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:50 am UTC

Tiberius wrote:Apparently all suffering has been solved in the world because this women is being given a "small" fortune by the internet because she is spineless enough to allow a couple of twelve year olds to make her cry despite the fact that it's her job to keep the little fuckers in line.

Apparently all suffering has been solved in the world, because you have time to bitch about how people have spent their money, instead of going out and helping people.

Ceron

Postby Ceron » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:17 am UTC

Have you ever had to deal with a bus-load of middle school-aged kids? Remember, she's probably getting close to minimum wage. She certainly isn't getting paid anywhere close to enough to have to endure that shit.

What started out as a vacation ended up becoming a life-changing sum of money. Great for her.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:23 am UTC

Tiberius wrote:http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/22/12357236-donations-for-bullied-bus-monitor-soar-past-500000?lite

Apparently all suffering has been solved in the world because this women is being given a "small" fortune by the internet because she is spineless enough to allow a couple of twelve year olds to make her cry despite the fact that it's her job to keep the little fuckers in line.

Did you see the actual video? "Verbal abuse" and "bullying" is pretty much all there is to it. She did try to defend herself from the verbal abuse. Does it matter that she couldn't "do her job", when she's being abused like that?

Also, she earns $15k a year, and I don't know the minimum wages there, but it sounds pretty close to minimum.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:58 am UTC

Steax wrote:Also, she earns $15k a year, and I don't know the minimum wages there, but it sounds pretty close to minimum.

New York is with the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour. If she worked 40 hours a week 50 weeks out of the year, that would come out to minimum wage, but it's more likely that a bus monitor is working closer to 30 hours a week and only during the school year. Not that even a generous wage should require her to work under such demeaning conditions.

aeki

Postby aeki » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:11 am UTC

Tiberius wrote:http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/22/12357236-donations-for-bullied-bus-monitor-soar-past-500000?lite

...I thought it was her job to drive the bus?

Seriously, what do you want her to do? Punch them in the face? Tie them up and stick duct tape over their mouths? I'd be all for giving school bus drivers the authority to just throw disruptive passengers off the bus the way city bus drivers do, but I can also understand why people would be wary of dumping kids in the middle of nowhere. I don't really know what she's supposed to be able to do, aside from maybe refuse to pick up specific kids after she finishes transporting them to home/school, if the school has the procedure for that.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:21 am UTC

From what I spent in the states, bus monitors only have the ability to "report" students to the school if they're misbehaving. Then they get passed on to counseling or something like that.

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:22 am UTC

You do realize that there is a line between sympathizing with someone for a kind of suck-y experience and plopping 5 times the median net worth of an american family in their lap?

@aeki
No her job is to keep kids in line so the Bus Driver can drive.

lutzj

Postby lutzj » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:27 am UTC

Steax wrote:From what I spent in the states, bus monitors only have the ability to "report" students to the school if they're misbehaving. Then they get passed on to counseling or something like that.

This. Basically, the school district doesn't want to be held liable for anything the students do to themselves or one another, so they have an adult ride the bus to keep an eye on things.

Tiberius wrote:You do realize that there is a line between sympathizing with someone for a kind of suck-y experience and plopping 5 times the median net worth of an american family in their lap?

I think Negated put it best:

Negated wrote:If you feel she does not deserve a donation, just don't donate.

Gifts that people you don't care about give to other people that you don't care about aren't really any of your business.

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:32 am UTC

Tiberius wrote:Apparently all suffering has been solved in the world because this women is being given a "small" fortune by the internet because she is spineless enough to allow a couple of twelve year olds to make her cry despite the fact that it's her job to keep the little fuckers in line.

Tiberius wrote:You do realize that there is a line between sympathizing with someone for a kind of suck-y experience and plopping 5 times the median net worth of an american family in their lap?

Does this mean you have a new monitor on your bus?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:41 am UTC

You do realize that fundraisers collect money from many people, right? There wasn't a single person plopping more than $12k, much less $500k.

I also think you horribly underestimate bullying if you call that a "kind of sucky experience".

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:45 am UTC

lutzj wrote:Gifts that people you don't care about give to other people that you don't care about aren't really any of your business.

Isn't the internet just full of people talking about shit that has nothing to do with them? Also I'm pretty sure the money could have been put to a little better use than making a woman five times wealthier than the median american family.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:47 am UTC

Probably. But it's not like the money was doing anything before.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Kaiyas

Postby Kaiyas » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:50 am UTC

It's not like she's getting that every single year... Those kids are actually incredibly brutal. Basically it's enough for her to comfortably retire and not deal with the shit she's been getting.

And what's so bad about random acts of kindness anyways?
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:51 am UTC

I mean, fuck it. I just donated five dollars, because fuck you. Why is that more objectionable than when the five dollars was sitting in my bank account waiting to be spent on another overpriced pair of shorts?
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

lutzj

Postby lutzj » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:55 am UTC

Tiberius wrote:Also I'm pretty sure the money could have been put to a little better use than making a woman five times wealthier than the median american family.

I'm pretty sure our time could be put to a little better use than arguing about this through the interblag. We're still quite free to do so.

Ghostbear

Postby Ghostbear » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:55 am UTC

Tiberius wrote:Also I'm pretty sure the money could have been put to a little better use than making a woman five times wealthier than the median american family.

I'm pretty sure your time bitching about people donating money to her could be better spent doing, well, anything actually. But more specifically, you could be helping median american families, or poorer, right now, but instead you aren't. That's exactly as despicable as people donating money to something they believe in, even if it's not the single most worthy cause they ever existed. Would you have been mad to read that people spent $600,000 on candy bars today? That candy bar money could have gone to help poor people! Just treat this as people making a purchase that makes them happier, and move on with your life.

I, for one, am glad to see how kindhearted some people are willing and able to be after seeing that video.

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:57 am UTC

I hope to god you're sitting naked at a library and using their computers. Otherwise, that money you're wasting on clothes and a computer and internet access could pretty much take care of an entire village elsewhere.

thankfully, you're not the arbiter of how others spend their money. Consider this, it would take just a fraction of internet users with access to a modicum of disposable income (ie, be willing to give up that Red Bull once this week) who empathize with the woman enough to send a small donation and reach that sort of fundraising level. To be angry about the kindness of strangers is a very odd response.

If we decide that this type of charitable giving is over the line, then where do we stop? Suppose I donate my time to help the local school kids learn to play chess. That's an inappropriate use of my time because there are ill served school kids in another district that need help with remedial reading. But then, helping those kids is an inappropriate use of my time because I could be spending that time helping feed the homeless downtown. But then that's a bad use of my resources because the money I would spend on gas getting downtown could feed even more people in some village in Sudan.

The correct answer, obviously, is to donate to the humane society because people suck.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:11 am UTC

I fully agree with people donating money to her. Its their money to spend, and the vast majority of it is from people who gave less than $20 in support of her. Honestly, if you don't like other people getting good fortune I really don't know what to say to you.

That said, there is a darker side to this story that I'd like to point out. The kids who bullied her are now getting 4Chan style epic harassment on them. The kids have had their names leaked to the internet and now the Police are monitoring their houses because of the insane level of death threats that anonymous people have placed on them.

http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world ... source=rss
Greece Police Capt. Steve Chatterton was compelled to warn against vigilante justice. One boy received more than a thousand death threats and commenters online were clear -- and sometimes venomous -- in their desire that the boys be severely punished.

Police said Klein does not want the boys to face criminal charges, partly because of the storm of criticism leveled at them.

EDIT: And of course... the first comment on that story is:
Good. Those spoiled brats need to know real fear. They need to learn the consequences of gratuitous cruelty. I hope the death threats keep coming.

Nuff said, right?
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:18 am UTC

Kaiyas wrote:It's not like she's getting that every single year... Those kids are actually incredibly brutal. Basically it's enough for her to comfortably retire and not deal with the shit she's been getting.

And what's so bad about random acts of kindness anyways?

It is sort of an interesting look at how people choose to donate money to "good causes". It's typically an emotional reaction, which naturally means that certain publicised, personable cases will get vastly disproportionately funded. It's like when there is some sad story about an abused or abandoned pet, and suddenly there will be hundreds of people offering to adopt that animal. That specific animal, and not any of the other thousands in the shelters that are going to get gassed. That's partly why I admire the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation so much - they're mission is specifically to take emotion out of the equation, and truly put money to the best use possible.

It is true, of course, that people have the absolute right to do anything they want with their money (even burn it). When Leona Helmsley died and left 12 million USD to her dog, people were up in arms about it. The dog received death threats. It's her money - she earned it (well, it was legally hers anyway), and she should be able to do what she wanted with it. She chose not to include two of her grandchildren in the will, but they managed to convince a judge to give them some of the dog's money. That sort of thing makes me really mad - she obviously had a reason to not give them any inheretence, and her wishes should be respected. I don't want some judge deciding after I die that he's better able to determine what to do with my money than I am.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:19 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:That said, there is a darker side to this story that I'd like to point out. The kids who bullied her are now getting 4Chan style epic harassment on them. The kids have had their names leaked to the internet and now the Police are monitoring their houses because of the insane level of death threats that anonymous people have placed on them.

God damn it, humanity. You'd think the whole "hate cannot drive out hate" message would stick eventually.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:53 am UTC

Yeah, I was kind of dreading that side. I hope their families handle it well.

This part from the article shocked me, though, (self-harm warning):

The verbal abuse was captured in a 10-minute cellphone video recorded Monday by a student of Athena Middle School and later posted to YouTube. The video shows Klein trying her best to ignore the stream of profanity, insults and outright threats. One student taunted: "You don't have a family because they all killed themselves because they don't want to be near you."

Klein's oldest son killed himself 10 years ago.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:16 am UTC

I'm quoting this:

Things to keep in mind as you view this video:

• The bus-monitor in this video is an adult who has volunteered to help keep order and peace on the bus. Presumably she is acting with the authority of the school and parents. Her testimony of events would carry a weight of credulity normally not assigned to an adolescent by adult authority figures.

• The woman on the bus possesses the emotional, psychological and spiritual development of an adult. She is a widow, a mother, a grandmother and has years of experience to help her cope with the assaults she suffers on this bus ride. A child or adolescent does not possess this experience, skill set, or adult level of development to help him/her cope with such a barrage of abuse.

• The woman on this video can quit in her role as a volunteer bus monitor and never have to endure this level of abuse again. A student must suffer this abuse twice per day, nine months of the academic year, throughout junior high school and high school yearsEDIT: middle school years as well - Lucrece.

Then, I'm going to mention the fact that she said in an interview that the reason she didn't write them up was because it was the last day of class and nothing would be done to the kids, just like her previous write-up's led nowhere before, even during the year.

I mean, what do you expect? I'm sure someone with the personality could manage to outcurse them, call them a bunch of pimpled cunts, but that would get you fired. So would hitting anyone of those kids.

And obviously you haven't dealt with these kinds of aggressive kids if you think they will just let you grab them and remove them off a bus without getting some shots of punching or kicking you while supporting students throw items at you out of your line of sight.

Public schools in particular make it very difficult to remove these violent kids from the bus, let alone expel them from the school (you can be assured this treatment is also falling on other kids).
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:35 am UTC

Is your (not sure where you got that from; I only found it on a blog from a search) quote in comparison to kids being bullied? I think yes - and stricter bus monitoring and bullying prevention would help them, too.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:01 am UTC

I think this lady got a slight glimpse of what some kids live, and most of the world trivializes. She can leave anytime she wants to -- that's not an option for the other victims of bullying. That is, you can't leave without seriously damaging your record -- like bringing a stun gun to school -- to call attention to the fact that you can't take it anymore, and THEN you get kicked.

And as she stated, the schools did nothing, until she happened to be the star of a campaign and attention; this caused sufficient pressure for the school to suddenly become interested in addressing/pretending to revise the issue at the least. I'm happy she got compensation in some way, but the majority of people don't.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

MartianInvader

Postby MartianInvader » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:51 pm UTC

I agree with your main point about bullying being a similar and serious problem, but the "she can leave at any time" part may not be true, at least not before she got all this money. There's not a lot of career-change opportunities for a 68-year-old former bus monitor, and she *is* responsible for supporting herself, unlike a child.
Let's have a fervent argument, mostly over semantics, where we all claim the burden of proof is on the other side!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:01 pm UTC

$1

@aeki
No her job is to keep kids in line so the Bus Driver can drive.
$2
Tiberius wrote:
lutzj wrote:Gifts that people you don't care about give to other people that you don't care about aren't really any of your business.

Isn't the internet just full of people talking about shit that has nothing to do with them? Also I'm pretty sure the money could have been put to a little better use than making a woman five times wealthier than the median american family.
$3

Come on xkcd forums! Let's see if, with Tiberius's help, we can get her up to six times the wealth of the median American family!
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:48 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Come on xkcd forums! Let's see if, with Tiberius's help, we can get her up to six times the wealth of the median American family!
*applause*
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:29 pm UTC

So if a cop was being bullied by criminals into letting them do whatever they want would they still be getting pats on the back and everyones sympathy? Or is the fact that she's an old woman mean she's allowed to fail to do her job in protecting children? Doesn't that rob her of any and all agency? The fact is, her job was to be responsible for these kids. If she lacked the mental and emotional maturity to be able to stand up to a few twelve year olds then she shouldn't have been there. It was perfectly within her right to kick the kids off the bus and have their parents or the cops called. Instead she "hoped they would go away".

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:36 pm UTC

You know what? Fuck it. $5 from me too.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:40 pm UTC

You realize that giving money to someone who is now probably richer than you isn't a stand-in for substantive argument right?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

Tiberius wrote:So if a cop was being bullied by criminals into letting them do whatever they want would they still be getting pats on the back and everyones sympathy? Or is the fact that she's an old woman mean she's allowed to fail to do her job in protecting children? Doesn't that rob her of any and all agency? The fact is, her job was to be responsible for these kids. If she lacked the mental and emotional maturity to be able to stand up to a few twelve year olds then she shouldn't have been there. It was perfectly within her right to kick the kids off the bus and have their parents or the cops called. Instead she "hoped they would go away".
$4
Tiberius wrote:You realize that giving money to someone who is now probably richer than you isn't a stand-in for substantive argument right?
$5

Neither is... whatever you're doing.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:54 pm UTC

Tiberius, perhaps you should look at it as how would you feel if that was your grandmother or mother on the bus? I would also like to know how you would deal with children behaving like they are in the video clip. That's definitely not the first time something like this has happened to her, I'm sure. She might be "volunteering" for the job, but she might not be able to afford to live without that job. The Nice People of the world are just helping to make sure she doesn't have to do that anymore. It might just be one person to you, but perhaps it would show people to be nicer to each other.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:05 pm UTC

Tiberius wrote:It was perfectly within her right to kick the kids off the bus and have their parents or the cops called.

I like how you just declare "it was perfectly within her right". Hope, not going to affect her job, have kids hate her even more, or a combination of the two.

Cops have tools, the law, backup, the prospect of jail time and the fact that they don't have to spend the next day a sitting duck with their arresteds' friends, on their side. You're making a really bad comparison.

Also, in retrospect, calling that job "volunteering" is ridiculous. It's as much as any not-forced-to-do job is volunteering. Sure, she signed up on her own accord and she can leave whenever she wants... Just like a lot of other jobs. It doesn't change anything about the situation.

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

Tiberius wrote:It was perfectly within her right to kick the kids off the bus

[citation needed]

Tiberius wrote:You realize that giving money to someone who is now probably richer than you isn't a stand-in for substantive argument right?

What's the argument? That you don't think people should do whatever they feel like with their disposable income? I think someone donating in response to you is a perfectly good counter-argument to your claim.

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:27 pm UTC

Let's look at that measly $15k a year. She obviously doesn't work all year. Most schools are in 180 days. Lets assume 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon. That averages out to $20 an hour. That's pretty good in my opinion. Especially when she's not doing her job. I'm sure the actual children that were bullied every day because she couldn't do anything about it would liked to have been given $80 a day for their trouble.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:08 pm UTC

$5 sent... keep it up Tiberius
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Return to “News & Articles”