Twelve killed by gunman in Denver movie theatre

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Cups of Gold

Twelve killed by gunman in Denver movie theatre

Postby Cups of Gold » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:40 pm UTC

The guy opened up on a crowd with an assault rifle at the "Dark Knight Rises" premiere:
A gunman opened fire in a crowded movie theater in the Denver suburbs early Friday morning, killing at least 12 people and wounding 50 others, the local police and federal officials said.

The shooting erupted during midnight showings of “The Dark Knight Rises” at the multiplex in Aurora, Colo., where throngs had gathered, some dressed as characters from the highly anticipated Batman sequel.

A federal law enforcement official said that a suspect in the shootings, a man born in 1987, was in custody. The police and federal agents were searching an apartment in the town after the man said he had explosives there. Other residents in the building were evacuated as a precaution.

“We’re treating this as an active shooter investigation working with Aurora police,” according to a statement released by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. “No indications at this early point in the investigation of any nexus to terrorism.”

Chaos spread quickly through the multiple packed theaters as the gunman, wearing a gas mask, stood in the front of one theater at around 12:30 a.m. and began firing at the crowd, The Associated Press reported. Witnesses described smelling either pepper spray or tear gas in the theater as the gunfire rang out.

President Obama, who spent the night in southern Florida as part of a campaign swing, was notified of the shooting by his top counterterrorism adviser, John O. Brennan, at 5:26 a.m., according to the White House. He later released a statement saying that he and the first lady were “shocked and saddened by the horrific and tragic shooting in Colorado,” and vowed to bring those responsible to justice.

“As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family,” Mr. Obama said. “All of us must have the people of Aurora in our thoughts and prayers as they confront the loss of family, friends and neighbors, and we must stand together with them in the challenging hours and days to come.”

Colorado television showed several ambulances moving about and dozens of police officers gathered at the Century 16 movie complex in the early morning darkness. A police robot could be seen inspecting a white compact sedan, its two doors and trunk wide open, in the parking lot of the movie complex, television images showed, though it was unclear whether the car belonged to the gunman.

“I saw a man walk in through the exit,” a witness told a reporter from 9NEWS in Colorado, saying he threw what appeared to be a pair of gas canisters to the ground. “He waited for both the bombs to explode before he did anything. Then, after both of them exploded, he began to shoot.”

Cellphone video appeared to show the traumatic scene outside of the large multiplex immediately after the shooting. Some people wandered away with bloodstained shirts as other could be heard screaming, “Get out of here!”

A witness told CNN affiliate KUSA that he was in one of the other theaters showing the movie. “It’s crazy to think I could have been in the other line,” he said.

“We were watching a scene of the movie — it was a shootout scene, there were guns firing,” he said. “Then loud bangs came from the right of the theater. Smoke took over the entire theater, and it was really thick and no one could really see anything. Me and my sister were sitting there wondering what was going on. Five people were limping, wounded, slightly bloody.”

“I saw a girl who was pretty much covered in blood. It made me think the worst,” the man said. “A cop came walking through the front door before everyone was cleared up and before everything was completely under control holding a little girl in his arms, and she wasn’t moving.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/us/police-say-14-are-killed-in-shooting-at-colorado-mall.html?_r=1&hp

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: Twelve killed by gunman in Denver movie theatre

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:48 pm UTC

38 injured, 9 in critical condition.

The FBI and local police are attempting to enter the gunman's apartment through the window to avoid potential booby-traps on the door.
Last edited by Dauric on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:50 pm UTC

He's still at large? :shock:

Well, that explains why there seems to be so little information right now. I guess I'll just have to check back in a few hours to see what happens... My prayers go to the victims and their families.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:52 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:He's still at large? :shock:

Well, that explains why there seems to be so little information right now. I guess I'll just have to check back in a few hours to see what happens... My prayers go to the victims and their families.

No, the gunman is in custody, was arrested in the theater parking lot.

He claimed to have more explosives, so the police and FBI are being careful in attempting to enter his apartment.

The gunman is not cooperating with police, his motives are unknown at this time.

Edit:
Gunman has no prior police record in Colorado.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:15 pm UTC

According to the Beeb, his name was James Holmes. Also, who brings a 3 month old baby to a rated R (or was it PG13) movie?

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:18 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:... Also, who brings a 3 month old baby to a rated R (or was it PG13) movie?

Someone who can't find a babysitter around midnight I'd guess.

Edit:

Apparently the FBI and police have pulled back from the third-floor apartment window, firefighters have gotten in to full gear as the fire ladder-truck has been re-positioned to a new window on the third floor.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:18 pm UTC

Curious timing. It's two days to the anniversary of the Utoya massacre in Norway. There are some parallels in how the deeds were carried out as well.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:53 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Curious timing. It's two days to the anniversary of the Utoya massacre in Norway. There are some parallels in how the deeds were carried out as well.

Then blame the timing on the producers of the new Batman movie. It was a midnight premiere of "The Dark Night Rises" where the shooting happened. I sincerely doubt the Utoya massacre has squat-all to do with it.

We won't know much until his apartment is searched, which the FBI and local bomb-squads are still clearing before investigators can get in to look for anything that might suggest a motive. The process could take days to clear the traps.

At least one "elaborate incendiary trap" has been detected in the apartment.

They've evacuated the five surrounding buildings from the apartment.

Edit:

I have to feel for the neighboring apartment residents. Most of those residents are probably at work or studying at the nearby medical university and have no idea if they're gong to come home as usual or to a smoking pile of rubble, and may have to live with the uncertainty for days.

---

Looking at overhead footage of the apartment, the nearest five buildings cover about 100 yard radius.
Last edited by Dauric on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

Breivik did go on about how he was part of a global network of nutjobs with similar xenophobic ideas, and if they were to hit, this would be the time.

The MOs really are extremely similar:
Breivik set off a bomb and then massacred innocent people.
Holmes rigged up a big bomb and then massacred innocent people.

Breivik planned his massacre very meticulously, picking the date he could corner his targets in an inaccessible location. Targeting the premiere of a huge blockbuster could serve a similar purpose. It's a dark room with cramped corridors and few exits.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:The MOs really are extremely similar:
Holmes rigged up a big bomb and then massacred innocent people..

You might as well include Columbine in that list, it's an MO so broad as to include pretty much every shooting rampage ever.

And the device Holmes used was more akin to a tear-gas grenade than a conventional explosive. There's no accurate reports on any explosives in Holmes's car, and the apartment is still being cleared.

To be clear, if the police find some literature in the apartment that connects James Holmes to Breivik -then- we can reasonably talk about some larger conspiracy. Until then that's unlikely at best and we should avoid the tinfoil apparel until we know otherwise.

Edit:

Looks like the confirmed fatality count has risen to 13.
Last edited by Dauric on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:25 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:The MOs really are extremely similar:
Holmes rigged up a big bomb and then massacred innocent people..

You might as well include Columbine in that list, it's an MO so broad as to include pretty much every shooting rampage ever.

And the device Holmes used was more akin to a tear-gas grenade than a conventional explosive. There's no accurate reports on any explosives in Holmes's car, and te apartment is still being cleared.

I was referring to the bomb in his apartment, which is supposedly very sophisticated. Columbine had, as far as I know, only shooting. Holmes was also a lot more prepared than the Columbine shooters were. He picked an opportunity where his victims were the proverbial ducks in a pond. He also took a lot of precautions to make sure he survived to tell the tale (much like Breivik) with a bullet proof vest, suggesting he had a story to tell (i.e. a political motive).

Garm

Postby Garm » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:33 pm UTC

I thought they tossed bombs around at Columbine.

A coworker of mine almost went to that theater last night. Apparently it's the place that premiers the Bollywood/Tamil films that show up in the area.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:36 pm UTC

Garm wrote:I thought they tossed bombs around at Columbine.

A coworker of mine almost went to that theater last night. Apparently it's the place that premiers the Bollywood/Tamil films that show up in the area.

They were pipe bombs. I'm talking of the stuff that levels half a city block.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:36 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I was referring to the bomb in his apartment, which is supposedly very sophisticated. Columbine had, as far as I know, only shooting. Holmes was also a lot more prepared than the Columbine shooters were. He picked an opportunity where his victims were the proverbial ducks in a pond. He also took a lot of precautions to make sure he survived to tell the tale (much like Breivik) with a bullet proof vest, suggesting he had a story to tell (i.e. a political motive).

There were unexploded devices (rigged propane canisters) at Columbine.
From Wikipedia:
Upon their arrival at Columbine, the duo met near Harris's car and armed two 20 pound (9 kg) propane bombs before entering the cafeteria a few minutes prior to the beginning of the A lunch shift, placing the duffel bags containing the bombs inside.

You're still stretching as far as some unifying circumstances. Sure he prepared for this rampage, but again that doesn't mean jack-shit about any kind of connection to anyone else. You can get gas-masks and bulletproof vests through internet mail order, and it does not take a conspiracy for individual nutjobs to recognize a vulnerable crowd when they see one.

If he's got a political agenda he's made not effort to talk about it to the police.

-Again-, if something comes up actually linking him to another attack then we can get in to that. Right now there's nothing that would suggest a link to any other shooting other than it's similar to a lot of other shootings.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

In an unsurprising turn of events, the blame game is well under way. The following are reportedly to blame:

NRA
Gun Control
Hollywood
Violent Video Games
Liberals
Tea Party
Atheism

EDIT:
Constitution
Media

EDIT 2:
Education

I really need to ignore comments on news sites/N&A.
Last edited by Thesh on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:59 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

iamspen

Postby iamspen » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:01 pm UTC

I think the base assumption would have to be ultrareactionary, possibly xenophobic, terrorism, but I don't say that with the intent of placing a blame. Rather, it seems to be a worldwide trend, and the techniques used in this particular incident are consistent with actions related to that sort of thing.

I would say, "I hope I'm wrong," but there are really no options that would make me feel better about it.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:04 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:In an unsurprising turn of events, the blame game is well under way. The following are reportedly to blame:
<snip>
I really need to ignore comments on news sites.

IE: The usual suspects. It's rather why I don't want to discuss connections to other events without any solid evidence of a connection. It's bad enough that this guy, a Phd student in Neuroscience, apparently snapped some time ago and planed to carry out this atrocity. Other people attaching their personal agendas to this tragedy to gain points for their agenda just inflates the tragedy of the event.

---

The police at the apartment are in bulletproof armor and helmets, the firefighters are in full fire-resistant gear including hauling around those air tanks, and we're expecting a high temperature of 102 F (38.8 C).

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:10 pm UTC

In the "ruining it for everyone else" department, I wonder to what degree this plan worked because you can walk into a theater with arms and a gas mask if people think you're a Bane cosplayer.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:20 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:In an unsurprising turn of events, the blame game is well under way. The following are reportedly to blame:

NRA
Gun Control
Hollywood
Violent Video Games
Liberals
Tea Party
Atheism

Don't forget about science! The supposed shooter was getting a PhD.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:46 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:

NRA
Gun Control
Hollywood
Violent Video Games
Liberals
Tea Party
Atheism

Don't forget about science! The supposed shooter was getting a PhD.

Then blaming King George III it is. If it's a good enough excuse for our founding fathers it's good enough for us.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:30 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:In the "ruining it for everyone else" department, I wonder to what degree this plan worked because you can walk into a theater with arms and a gas mask if people think you're a Bane cosplayer.

The current theory from the police investigation (as reported on Channel 7 as I'm typing) He went in to the theater and bought a ticket unarmed, exited through a back door, propping the door open. He got his car and drove to the back door, geared up outside and reentered the theater through the propped door.

So no amount of security at the front door screening cosplayers would have prevented this from happening.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:52 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:The current theory from the police investigation (as reported on Channel 7 as I'm typing) He went in to the theater and bought a ticket unarmed, exited through a back door, propping the door open. He got his car and drove to the back door, geared up outside and reentered the theater through the propped door.

So no amount of security at the front door screening cosplayers would have prevented this from happening.

Thank you. I usually don't mind going deep into Google News to piece the story together from multiple reports, but this time I'm really not up for it.

I do have to say that I'm surprised in this day and age that there aren't electronic monitors on theater exit doors so they can tell from a central location which ones are propped open. Probably will be now, but I'd have thought that keeping people from sneaking in would have struck them as a good business expense long ago for economic rather than security reasons.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:26 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:I do have to say that I'm surprised in this day and age that there aren't electronic monitors on theater exit doors so they can tell from a central location which ones are propped open. Probably will be now, but I'd have thought that keeping people from sneaking in would have struck them as a good business expense long ago for economic rather than security reasons.

Century 16 is an older theater, and it's starting to show in some minor maintenance issues. Getting a new system to monitor the doors may have been an expense management figured they could do without.

I live about two major intersections from the Century 16 theater.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:43 pm UTC

I'm indescribably disappointed with the complete lack of decency on the part of the media in handling this tragedy. Some news jackass even stopped a man whose young daughter was shot and upon being told this his next question was "Is she dead?"

What the fuck?
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:54 pm UTC

NRA
Gun Control
Hollywood
Violent Video Games
Liberals
Tea Party
Atheism

A Republican Congressperson has said the blame is due to attacks on Judeo-Christian belief systems in recent years. He was also disappointed that nobody in the theatre had the good sense to have brought a gun with them so they could shoot the shooter.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:02 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:A Republican Congressperson has said the blame is due to attacks on Judeo-Christian belief systems in recent years. He was also disappointed that nobody in the theatre had the good sense to have brought a gun with them so they could shoot the shooter.

This is the kind of shit I'm talking about. This fucker (the congressman, not the poster), and the fucking gun control people, total lack of fucking common decency. People are still dying, dead are still unidentified, some of the corpses aren't even cold and these fuckers want to play politics?

Both President Obama and Mitt Romney did the decent thing and canceled their politicking, and said that today should be a time of prayer and reflection. That's common decency.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:11 pm UTC

Yet I won't be surprised if people accuse Obama/Romney of using this for PR, as opposed to the other people making baseless claims about 'who done it'.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:12 pm UTC

Police have extended the evacuation area around the apartment, fire equipment is being pulled back.

---

Apparently the stereo in the apartment was set on a timer to turn on at midnight with very loud techno music, the door was unlocked. A neighbor below the apartment went up to complain to the shooter who had already left, and narrowly avoided opening the door possibly setting off the devices in the room.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:27 pm UTC

Metaphysician wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:A Republican Congressperson has said the blame is due to attacks on Judeo-Christian belief systems in recent years. He was also disappointed that nobody in the theatre had the good sense to have brought a gun with them so they could shoot the shooter.

This is the kind of shit I'm talking about. This fucker (the congressman, not the poster), and the fucking gun control people, total lack of fucking common decency. People are still dying, dead are still unidentified, some of the corpses aren't even cold and these fuckers want to play politics?

Both President Obama and Mitt Romney did the decent thing and canceled their politicking, and said that today should be a time of prayer and reflection. That's common decency.

Agreed. Commentary about firearms usage and suggesting the country isn't Christian enough have no place after an event such as this.

Whatever happened to common fucking decency?

And props to Obama and Romney for doing the right thing here.

Also, any idea why this happened? What could possibly motivated the shooter to do something like this...?
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

He's still alive last I heard, so maybe we'll find out soon.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:39 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:He's still alive last I heard, so maybe we'll find out soon.

James Holmes surrendered as soon as police caught up to him just outside the theater, one-and-a-half minutes after the police received the first call. Despite being equipped in full body armor Holmes surrendered "with no significant event" as described by Aurora's police chief.

For reference the theater is one major intersection from the Aurora Municipal Center, where you have the Aurora Police HQ, the county courthouse, the city hall.... You couldn't choose a theater to commit a crime where the police would respond faster.

As to his motivations, he's not talking. Police are not willing to talk about potential motivations, and if there's any manifesto in his apartment we won't know until the police have cleared the apartment of explosive devices. The apartment is described as "heavily boobytrapped".

His father has arrived in the state and was met by FBI agents at the airport.

Edit: Official update at this time is 59 injured, 12 fatalities.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:51 pm UTC

The Second Amendment at it's finest. :roll:
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:17 pm UTC

30 replies before the first flamebait post, not bad...

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:52 pm UTC

Got further than I expected.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Impeach

Postby Impeach » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

Cleverbeans wrote:The Second Amendment at it's finest. :roll:

Do you really think so? I thought this was a tragic example of how humans sometimes do terrible things. Perhaps a finer example of the second amendment might be one of the countless cases of women defending themselves from home invasion, or the mass stabbing that was thwarted last week in salt lake city by a man with a gun? We should all make a considerable effort to ensure that stuff like this doesn't happen but guns are tools and claiming that the second amendment is what causes murder to happen is like claiming that pens cause fraud or liable or identity theft. The second amendment exists to help ensure that the government never gathers an unchangeable monopoly of power, not because 'Christians' or 'rednecks' think it's fun to own guns. The fact that some people are unstable does not change this or remove the threat.

This is not the fault of the second amendment, it's the fault of the person who decided to commit mass murder. Don't play into the idea that the second amendment is a threat to our freedom. Why are people so irrational when it comes to guns? It's always gun-violence this, gun-violence that. When a massacre happens in Africa or the middle east, like it so often does, and a whole village is slaughtered, we never hear about the poor victims of 'machete-violence,' nor do we hear about the countless benefactors of 'gun-protection.' This person was a psychotic criminal. It happens, and when it does, shitty things usually happen. This is true whether or not law abiding citizens retain the constitutional rights or not. We can't prevent psychotic people from acting psychotic. If you are scared, go by a handgun and shoot it at people when they try to kill you.
doogly wrote:Silly France, you can't just make up your own definitions for what fundamental human rights are, those are self evident and endowed within humanity by our creator god. Listen to America on this one, we got this shit on lock.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:22 pm UTC

Impeach wrote:Do you really think so? I thought this was a tragic example of how humans sometimes do terrible things.

All the guns were bought legally within a two month span, he had no criminal record and no history of mental illness. Guns are significantly more deadly than other easily obtained weapons, and has a much lower skill-barrier than other weapons that could do comparable damage like a small bomb. Although I do agree that this a terrible thing that humans do to each other, and we can't prevent that, we can certainly take measures to limit the severity of these events. The plan of allowing the mass manufacture of high precision firearms for popular consumption has failed abysmally and I am deeply angry that after another mindless slaughter we will not see any serious challenges to this idea. They built mass murder directly into a core piece of the legal structure. I'm enraged by this shooting, and I'm enraged by the "right" to bear arms that allows so much more unnecessary suffering and grief.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

Jonesthe Spy

Postby Jonesthe Spy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:40 pm UTC

According to a CNN story I just scanned, the shooter told the cops he was the Joker. If true, it's amazingly unsurprising. The fact he was smart enough to get a neuroscience degree, the whole thing with the massively bobbytrapped apartment - this guy is a geek who decided to act out the role. Hell, I've seen stories about folks dressing up in costumes to be real-life vigilantes, of course someone is going to want to play on the other team.

Hmm, this should almost work out like a mathematical equation. [Glamorization of violence in media]+[Glorification of crazy mass murderer character]x[desirability of celebrity status (of any sort)] / Availability of lethal weaponry = Possibility for the Occurrence we are discussing.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:49 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Also, who brings a 3 month old baby to a rated R (or was it PG13) movie?

This. A co-worker and I were discussing this. Not just the 3-to-4-month-old baby, but there was also a 6-or-7-year-old girl there as well. What. The. Fuck. If you can't get a babysitter on Friday night, then go see the movie at a more normal time, such as on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I highly doubt the little girl really wanted to see the Batman movie. Although, in this day and age, you never can tell. Grown men like a little girls' show about ponies, so anything's possible.

Breitbart had indicated that hours after the shooting, ABC was the first to start blaming the Republicans and the Tea Partiers over the shooting. They apparently found a Tea Party page with James Holmes' name on it, from Aurora, CO. Whether this is the same James Holmes or not is yet to be determined, but they're quick to make assumptions.
PRG

An important message for you:

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:55 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:Breitbart had indicated that hours after the shooting, ABC was the first to start blaming the Republicans and the Tea Partiers over the shooting. They apparently found a Tea Party page with James Holmes' name on it, from Aurora, CO. Whether this is the same James Holmes or not is yet to be determined, but they're quick to make assumptions.

It isn't:

http://denverteaparty.ning.com/profile/ ... e=activity

He made a post four hours ago, which is well after the suspect was apprehended. Apparently names are not unique, who knew?

EDIT:

PatrickRsGhost wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Also, who brings a 3 month old baby to a rated R (or was it PG13) movie?

This. A co-worker and I were discussing this. Not just the 3-to-4-month-old baby, but there was also a 6-or-7-year-old girl there as well. What. The. Fuck. If you can't get a babysitter on Friday night, then go see the movie at a more normal time, such as on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I highly doubt the little girl really wanted to see the Batman movie. Although, in this day and age, you never can tell. Grown men like a little girls' show about ponies, so anything's possible.

While I agree with you about little children in movie theaters, it really has nothing to do with what happens and comes off as victim blaming (although I don't think you mean it this way). I understand the reaction, but this really isn't the right place to talk about it.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:54 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:

This. A co-worker and I were discussing this. Not just the 3-to-4-month-old baby, but there was also a 6-or-7-year-old girl there as well. What. The. Fuck. If you can't get a babysitter on Friday night, then go see the movie at a more normal time, such as on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

If there was ever a worse time to criticize people's parenting…
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Return to “News & Articles”