Playoffs! Playoffs!? ... MLB edition

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Re: Playoffs! Playoffs!? ... MLB edition

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:57 am UTC

I won't undermine the game the Tigers played, because they played a very good game, but holy fuck was that ump blind. I don't think it would have changed the outcome of the game, since the Yanks are not batting at all, but dammit he was right there, how could he miss it?

gordo

Postby gordo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:53 am UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:I won't undermine the game the Tigers played, because they played a very good game, but holy fuck was that ump blind. I don't think it would have changed the outcome of the game, since the Yanks are not batting at all, but dammit he was right there, how could he miss it?

I haven't seen the game (yet), but had the discussion many times. These things happen. It's part of the game. There are occasions where instant replay is useful, but you just can't go stare at a TV screen for every close call--it would completely ruin the game in my opinion.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:18 pm UTC

That's the thing, it wasn't a close call at all. Watch the game, or see if you can find a video of the play that won't spoil the outcome for you. I'm not being a fanboy here (at least I don't think so) but the play was clear as day.

*EDIT* Here's one http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25409811&partnerId=aw-5474420020958019559-996

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:24 pm UTC

Cano set the record for most consecutive hitless post season at bats last night. That's right, Robinson Cano. A 300 career hitter, having the best year of his career, coming into the playoffs on the 4 weeks of his career, has set the record for most at bats without a hit.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:53 pm UTC

My goodness. That wasn't even close. Infante was out by a metaphorical mile.

Giants need to figure out how to get Beltran out consistently or this will be a short series. Or maybe Beltran could just go Cano. That'd be okay too.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

starslayer

Postby starslayer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:01 pm UTC

Garm wrote:Giants need to figure out how to get Beltran out consistently or this will be a short series. Or maybe Beltran could just go Cano. That'd be okay too.
I only managed to watch a couple of innings; did he really hurt us beside the HR?

I think it's more that the Giants' pitching needs to be better over all than they've been the past couple of weeks.

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:12 pm UTC

starslayer wrote:
Garm wrote:I think it's more that the Giants' pitching needs to be better over all than they've been the past couple of weeks.

There's truth to that.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

gordo

Postby gordo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:16 pm UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:That's the thing, it wasn't a close call at all. Watch the game, or see if you can find a video of the play that won't spoil the outcome for you. I'm not being a fanboy here (at least I don't think so) but the play was clear as day.

*EDIT* Here's one http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25409811&partnerId=aw-5474420020958019559-996

Thanks for the link. Infante is indeed out. Very out. I wonder what that looked like from the umpire's point of view. Or, in other words, I wonder where the umpire could possible stand to not be able to see this.

Errare humanum est...

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:21 pm UTC

gordo wrote:
Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:That's the thing, it wasn't a close call at all. Watch the game, or see if you can find a video of the play that won't spoil the outcome for you. I'm not being a fanboy here (at least I don't think so) but the play was clear as day.

Thanks for the link. Infante is indeed out. Very out. I wonder what that looked like from the umpire's point of view. Or, in other words, I wonder where the umpire could possible stand to not be able to see this.

Errare humanum est...

His umpiring is bad and he should feel bad.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

gordo

Postby gordo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:16 pm UTC

I'm not denying that. Because it's true, and he should.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:37 am UTC

gordo wrote:I'm not denying that. Because it's true, and he should.

Meanwhile Cardinals fans bitch about a call that was actually somewhat questionable, especially considering the umpire was out of place. They should feel bad as well, because the team fucked up enough on their own to lose that game.

Honestly, they need to stop being so annoying this season, I don't want to have to root for the Cubs out of spite.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:39 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:I don't want to have to root for the Cubs out of spite.

You wouldn't dare ...
I looked out across the river today …

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:44 am UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:I don't want to have to root for the Cubs out of spite.

You wouldn't dare ...

If they don't stop their bitch'n I might have to. Seriously, I refuse to look at facebook during a game anymore. And there's only one reason to hate Pujols and it has nothing to do with baseball and everything to do with his evangelicalism destroying a cultural icon.

iamspen

Postby iamspen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:03 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Honestly, they need to stop being so annoying this season, I don't want to have to root for the Cubs out of spite.

There are other teams in the Central you could pledge allegiance to...coughcincinnaticough.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:27 am UTC

iamspen wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:

There are other teams in the Central you could pledge allegiance to...coughcincinnaticough.

Too hard to spell.

gordo

Postby gordo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:55 pm UTC

If the Cardinals make it to the World Series, it would be the 4th time the Cardinals and the Tigers meet in the WS, and it would be the Tigers' turn to win... :wink:

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:05 pm UTC

gordo wrote:If the Cardinals make it to the World Series, it would be the 4th time the Cardinals and the Tigers meet in the WS, and it would be the Tigers' turn to win... :wink:

If the Cards make it, I'll be rooting for the Tigers.
- JFK

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:52 pm UTC

iamspen wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:

If I were to root for another team in the NL Central, it'd probably have to be Pittsburgh. They need some hope.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:43 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:
iamspen wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:

If I were to root for another team in the NL Central, it'd probably have to be Pittsburgh. They need some hope.

Yeah, I kind of hope the new owners and manager for the Cubs don't turn that team around like they likely will. I don't want to live in a world where Cardinals fans have to realize there's finally a competitive team in the division now that the Astros are gone.

Quite frankly, I think it really speaks to how bad the National League is that the Cards consistently weasel their way into the playoffs. They consistently fuck up in the regular season.

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:49 am UTC

Well, say what you will about the Cardinals being whiny, I'm still pulling for them.

And f*ck yeah, Detroit! Bust out the brooms, 'cause we got a sweep!

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:53 am UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:Well, say what you will about the Cardinals being whiny, I'm still pulling for them.

Y'know, I'd be sad, but the Yankees are still the Yankees.

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:56 pm UTC

Yeah, it's not like this is going to be the Yankees' last chance for a decade. They'll probably be right back in it next year.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:07 pm UTC

Darryl wrote:
Radical_Initiator wrote:Well, say what you will about the Cardinals being whiny, I'm still pulling for them.

I know, I kind of want the Yankees because I want to see them get beat by the Cardinals. In fact, if there's one team I truly hate, it's the Yankees, mainly because it just strikes me as one of those, if you've got a problem, if nothing else will work, if money is no object, then buy yourself a team.

I'm still pulling for the Cards too, but I really need to defriend most of the people I went to high school with on Facebook. Good god do they never shut the hell up about the Cardinals. I didn't even know how many of them I still was friends with, or that so many of them had gotten really fat.

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:10 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Darryl wrote:

I know, I kind of want the Yankees because I want to see them get beat by the Cardinals. In fact, if there's one team I truly hate, it's the Yankees, mainly because it just strikes me as one of those, if you've got a problem, if nothing else will work, if money is no object, then buy yourself a team.

I'm still pulling for the Cards too, but I really need to defriend most of the people I went to high school with on Facebook. Good god do they never shut the hell up about the Cardinals. I didn't even know how many of them I still was friends with, or that so many of them had gotten really fat.

No, I am a Yankees fan. I just know they'll always be contenders, or at least not out for long. It's what happens when you get a winning formula that involves low pay disparity between the highest-paid player and lowest-paid player.

Garm

Postby Garm » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:19 pm UTC

I dislike the current Yankees but I can't hate them too much. My Great-Grand uncle played for the team years ago so there's the family connection.
- JFK

starslayer

Postby starslayer » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:04 am UTC

Welp, the Giants have life for one more day. I think Vogelsong will certainly be good enough to force Game 7, but I have no idea how Cain is going to do in that if the Giants win on Sunday.

Garm

Postby Garm » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:23 pm UTC

starslayer wrote:Welp, the Giants have life for one more day. I think Vogelsong will certainly be good enough to force Game 7, but I have no idea how Cain is going to do in that if the Giants win on Sunday.

Cain's problem has been lack of run support imo. Let's hope you're right, we make it game seven, and he's got his good stuff.
- JFK

starslayer

Postby starslayer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:42 am UTC

WORLD SERIES GIANTS!!!!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 am UTC

Yay! I don't have to give a shit about batsportball! And, as there is no hockey, months of not giving two shits about any sportballsport at all! WOOOOOOO!

Because, the Rams suck too much to ever give a shit about. They're like the loopy little brother that nobody wants around of St. Louis sports. The kind that always enters into things where everybody gets a participation ribbon.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:58 am UTC

Bye bye birdie.

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

Yep, the Giants earned the hell out of this trip to the Series. I'm pulling for them vs. Detroit.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:11 pm UTC

And fuck you, too! :P
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Garm

Postby Garm » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

I'd be wearing both my Giants hats today but I had to come to work.
- JFK

starslayer

Postby starslayer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:28 am UTC

Y'know, Verlander getting shelled and Sandoval hitting 3 HR was really not what I had pegged for this game.

gordo

Postby gordo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:15 pm UTC

What the heck happened there? This was not the kind of news I was hoping to wake up with... I was planning to watch the game highlights tonight, but I don't think there is much good to highlight...

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:16 pm UTC

There are a lot of good highlights if you're a Giants fan :wink:

Garm

Postby Garm » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:23 pm UTC

Just seeing Kung Fu Panda go yard three times is worth watching. It's history in the making.

Wow, wow, wow. Just listened to the last two innings of the game. Gripping stuff. Gutsy call for Leyland to leave in Smyly but it panned out for him. Dotel was the real loser there.
- JFK

gordo

Postby gordo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:23 am UTC

Darn.

I was hoping the Tigers would manage to win at least one game...

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:42 pm UTC

Congrats to the Giants, though. That was ... impressive. And after having waited 56 years between their previous two championships, two titles in three years is certainly quite a feat.

Return to “News & Articles”