Have fun with America

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Have fun with America

Postby Phenriz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

I'm done with this bullshit, between Bush and the Democrats there's nothing worth fighting for as the people in power do what they want, with disregard to the rest of us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyEfmDtxdhM
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

In other news, the sky is blue, and air is good.

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:In other news, the sky is blue, and air is good.

True, but that doesn't make this or any other political bullying any less wrong.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:01 pm UTC

Phenriz wrote:

True, but that doesn't make this or any other political wrongdoing any less wrong.

Oh, absolutely not. However, I was just wondering why you seemed so mad about this NOW.

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:06 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Oh, absolutely not. However, I was just wondering why you seemed so mad about this NOW.

I haven't been mad before?

Ever heard the saying "the straw that broke the camel's back" let me assure you it's not just this one item.

Aside from that this is fairly new, sure i could harp on the north american union, the social security system failing, health insurance.

But since this was new and blatant i felt the need to bring it up, or is it because the offending group is left leaning it's not ok for me to bring up their shortcomings?

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:10 pm UTC

Not at all. Bring up their shortcomings, by all means. For the record, though, both the Democrats and Republicans are right-wing parties, it just so happens that the Dems are more centrist. The straw that broke the camel's back makes sense, I guess... I was just wondering why the other 8000 instances of political sociopathy didn't get this sort of a rise out of you.

Big damn straw...

By the way, anyone wanting to move to Canada can crash in my basement.

*sigh* I know that, in the future, History Bites will be back on television, making fun of this era.

EDIT: My local University isn't bad, but all the really good ones (UBC and SFU, the ones that keep getting world press for breakthrough in engineering and medicine) are down on the coast, 4 hours away. Sowwy.
Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:14 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Big damn straw...

By the way, anyone wanting to move to Canada can crash in my basement.

to me it is a big straw, but that's probably because of my locale.

I'll wait for the Ronpaul to lose the primaries before i start packing. (i'm sure he's going to lose, but one always has some hope)

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

Phenriz wrote:I'll wait for the Ronpaul to lose the primaries before i start packing. (i'm sure he's going to lose, but one always has some hope)

Amen.

while, I can't move to Canada either way, I see your point.

on second thought, MJ how close do you live to a somewhat prestigious school with good physics and CS programs I may be able to transfer to? That basement offer is mighty tempting.

I would hardly call this move by the dem's right wing or centrist. If nothing else, its totalitarian, demonstrating the fact that they really couldn't care less what the American people want and serve only to push their own agenda and gain more power over the people that oppose them. But if its centrist to give illegal's the benefits of a welfare system that they have -obviously- done nothing to support, to use money that could be used to assist the legal tax paying citizens with the myriad of problems that face on illegal's then I can't imagine what you would consider liberal.

Its as though they have adopted the idea that they know whats good for us and really dont care what we think about it. They have no respect for the will of the people and have certainly forgotten the definition of the word "representative." This isn't democracy, this is just wrong (no, its not Sparta either).

the Ronpaul '08
iop wrote:If 2+2=5, 3=2+1, and 6=5+1, 2+3=6

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:18 pm UTC

I'm sorry, you think Lou Dobbs is serious news? A quick search shows nothing discussing this story except for that video clip and people talking about the clip. I can't seem to find the clip off of CNN's website (although it seems to only have up to the 2nd of August).

America is too resilient for one inept administration to take it down.

the Ronpaul 08
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

I'm gonna be finding out who my representative is and writing a strongly worded letter. I'm in MA, so it's a good shot it's a Democrat.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:57 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:I'm sorry, you think Lou Dobbs is serious news? A quick search shows nothing discussing this story except for that video clip and people talking about the clip. I can't seem to find the clip off of CNN's website (although it seems to only have up to the 2nd of August).

did some looking around and came across this: http://public.cq.com/docs/cqt/news110-000002566387.html

America is too resilient for one inept administration to take it down.

but what about administration, after administration and so on? how many inept administrations will it take, we're going on #3 and it's not looking so hot.

the Ronpaul 08

couldn't agree more

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:03 pm UTC

Reading up on the Ronpaul, my first thought (knee-jerk, I know) was "A Texas Republican? Are you kidding?" Then I kept reading...

Paul ran for President in the 1988 presidential election as the nominee for the Libertarian Party. the Ronpaul has been referred to as a conservative, a constitutionalist, and a minarchist libertarian. He is an advocate of states' rights, free trade, fewer taxes, smaller government, strong national sovereignty, and non-interventionism. Paul supports reduced government spending and reduced taxes. As congressman, he claims never to have voted to raise taxes or to approve an unbalanced budget. He has called for the abolition of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the federal income tax. He also voted against the USA PATRIOT Act, the Iraq War Resolution, and the Military Commissions Act of 2006.

Two years after leaving medical school, Paul worked in the emergency room of a church hospital in San Antonio for a wage of $3 an hour. Paul later specialized in obstetrics and gynecology where he delivered more than 4,000 babies. He took over the medical practice of a retiring doctor in Lake Jackson, Texas, where he was busy as the only obstetrician and gynecologist in Brazoria County. Paul said of his time as a doctor, "I delivered forty to fifty babies a month and did a lot of surgery."[18] Dr. Paul did not accept Medicare or Medicaid as a physician; instead, he worked for free or arranged discounted or custom payment plans for needy patients.

Now, he is against universal health care, abortion, and immigration, but out of a bad lot, he seems to have some of his act together.

I like this man. I have to track down the "Mail-In Vote For Non-Americans" website.

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:14 pm UTC

Yeah, i'll be voting for paul in the primaries, and if he doesn't make it past that i don't think i'll be voting in the popular vote for the presidency(not that it makes much of a difference anyway).

Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:13 pm UTC

He showed up on the Daily show and the Colbert Report and I was thoroughly impressed. Most politicians just look like jackasses when they are picked apart by Colbert, but I think he kind of caught Colbert off-guard by not being utterly retarded.

After reading up a bit on him, I decided that I'll be voting for him.

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:18 am UTC

Brian wrote:He showed up on the Daily show and the Colbert Report and I was thoroughly impressed. Most politicians just look like jackasses when they are picked apart by Colbert, but I think he kind of caught Colbert off-guard by not being utterly retarded.

After reading up a bit on him, I decided that I'll be voting for him.

yay, another recrutee!

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:02 am UTC

Well, unless you live in LA, NY, or any other big city.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:13 am UTC

RealGrouchy wrote:
Well, unless you live in LA, NY, or any other big city.

- RG>

Oooh, I have been zinged and I love it!

e946

Postby e946 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:25 am UTC

The government as a whole is getting more and more totalitarian, and the american people aren't doing shit about it. I'm just waiting for a national religion to be established andenforced, or perhaps laws against the media talking badly about the government. Nearly everything else is already in place.

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:11 am UTC

I'm entirely amused by Republican outrage at the exact same things they used to do when they were the majority.

An angry Rep Congresscritter wrote:There are people in this town that are willing to break the rules and do extraordinary maneuvers...

Remind you of anybody?

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:00 pm UTC

Malice wrote:
An angry Rep Congresscritter wrote:There are people in this town that are willing to break the rules and do extraordinary maneuvers...

Remind you of anybody?

Lieutenant John Mclane?

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:53 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Malice wrote:

Remind you of anybody?

Lieutenant John Mclane?

jesus de christo?

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:59 pm UTC

I'm entirely amused by Republican outrage at the exact same things they used to do when they were the majority.
The Republicans pulled different tricks; it's not that hard to claim the trick pulled here was worse.

But, this could be solved if each Congressman only had one final vote, instead of a vote they could flip-flop on for political purposes.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:01 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:But, this could be solved if each Congressman only had one final vote, instead of a vote they could flip-flop on for political purposes.

har har har, you people with your logical political ideas

but honestly, I can't believe this hasn't caused a greater reaction than it has...

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:03 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:But, this could be solved if each Congressman was dragged outside and shot, and replaced with real people.

Man, I've been doing a lot of fixing today...

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:05 pm UTC

ehiunno wrote:
Vaniver wrote:But, this could be solved if each Congressman only had one final vote, instead of a vote they could flip-flop on for political purposes.

har har har, you people with your logical political ideas

but honestly, I can't believe this hasn't caused a greater reaction than it has...

because it was brought upon by the "good side" :roll: duh

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Vaniver wrote:But, this could be solved if each Congressman was dragged outside and shot, and replaced with real people.

Man, I've been doing a lot of fixing today...

i think i love you, so what am i so afraid of...
Last edited by Phenriz on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:05 pm UTC

See rules regarding QFT posts, please.

Return to “News & Articles”