Irrational fears

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Do you have any irrational fears?

No. (I am a robot and do not feel emotion.)
19%
Yes, one or two.
59%
Yes, many.
22%

Total votes: 274

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Fri May 04, 2007 8:09 pm UTC

you and me both sister, started reading Derleth (i didn't read Lovecraft authored work until i finished Derleth off) when i was 12. Japanese Survival Horror movies/games don't help either. I still can't play Fatal Frame 2 during the daytime, with people in the room, and i won't even touch the case at night.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri May 04, 2007 8:12 pm UTC

I still can't play Fatal Frame 2 during the daytime, with people in the room, and i won't even touch the case at night.

I am such a fucking baby about that game.

Girl can attest, I actually need her (or someone else, but there's a special amusement to keeping someone half my size nearby for protection) present to play any fatal frame or silent hill game.

And several others.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Fri May 04, 2007 8:38 pm UTC

I'm still scared to call Bloody Mary's name at midnight in the mirror.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Carosaurus

Postby Carosaurus » Fri May 04, 2007 8:44 pm UTC

When I was wee (4 or 5), my brother and his friends used to play a laughably awful text-based RPG called Hunt the Wumpus. It was an old game even then... anyway, they would play after school, and I would watch them. My bro would read the game out loud. As you made your valiant journey into the cave and got closer and closer to finding THE WUMPUS, you would get "clues" such as "I feel a draft" or "bats nearby". The Wumpus, being as its physical description was totally left to my imagination, was the most HORRIFIC thing on the whole damn planet. My parents could substitute "wumpus" for any variation of "boogeyman" to much greater effect.

TO THIS DAY, those "clue" phrases scare the crap out of me.

Talk about irrational.
Last edited by Carosaurus on Fri May 04, 2007 8:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't always feel lucky, but I'm smart enough to try"

simen

Postby simen » Fri May 04, 2007 8:49 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Irrational Fear 2: Waking up in the middle of the night only to see something that shouldn't be (by traditional standards) whether it be undead, or inhuman, standing at the foot of my bed.

Yes. Yes yes yes.

Too much psychological horror and HP Lovecraft has given me more fear of *seeing* horrible things that should not be, than of being harmed by them.

You know about sleep paralysis, right? It pretty much consists of that. Most people who've described it to me speak of someone or something standing by their bed and seeming very threatening. Add in some night terrors, and you're set for a hell of a ride.

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Fri May 04, 2007 8:52 pm UTC

i used to work with a girl who says she's had sleep paralysis she said she woke up and she couldn't move, it felt like someone was sitting or pushing on her chest but nothing was there. She's from Bosnia and called it something else. Like an old lady or some jazz.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri May 04, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

You know about sleep paralysis, right? It pretty much consists of that. Most people who've described it to me speak of someone or something standing by their bed and seeming very threatening. Add in some night terrors, and you're set for a hell of a ride.

That too. But I also have this fear near darkened windows, and in silent rooms in the middle of the night when no one's around.

They/them

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Fri May 04, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

Belial wrote:That too. But I also have this fear near darkened windows, and in silent rooms in the middle of the night when no one's around.

and maybe seeing something out of the corner of your eye?

I remember reading Bram Stoker's Dracula for the first time and hearing an old man laugh in my old house as i was trying to go to sleep. I'm almost 100% positive it was my imagination, but still......

*queue covers going over head*

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Sat May 05, 2007 4:47 am UTC

I hate walking by a window when it is late at night and dark. I don't even like looking at them, because I always feel like somebody is going to be standing there. :?

simen

Postby simen » Sat May 05, 2007 12:05 pm UTC

Belial wrote:That too. But I also have this fear near darkened windows, and in silent rooms in the middle of the night when no one's around.

Same here. I occasionally have to remind myself several times that there is nothing to be worried about if I walk around the house at night, even if I am merely taking a walk to the bathroom. It is approximately five metres away from my room.

kira
I hate bananas.

Postby kira » Sat May 05, 2007 3:06 pm UTC

lani wrote:I'm still scared to call Bloody Mary's name at midnight in the mirror.

I'm scared of looking in the mirror in the dark at all. I tried the Bloody Mary thing when I was little and it warped me for life.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 05, 2007 3:12 pm UTC

I'm irrationally afraid that if I go ice skating, I'll fall and someone will run over my hands, the blades of their skates slicing off my four fingers completely.

I know, I know, completely irrational. Will never happen. At best, they'd get a pinky before tripping on the bone and tendons of my ring finger, so I'd be down two, tops.

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Sat May 05, 2007 10:57 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'm irrationally afraid that if I go ice skating, I'll fall and someone will run over my hands, the blades of their skates slicing off my four fingers completely.

Me too! Or that some kid will fall down in front of me and I won't be able to avoid him and I'll slice off his fingers. I like to ice skate, but only if I'm the only one there.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sat May 05, 2007 11:00 pm UTC

Heh, I have a fear of humiliating myself when I go ice-skating, which is why I like to skate alone.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Sun May 06, 2007 2:29 am UTC

But then there's no one to save you if you fall in.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Sun May 06, 2007 3:09 am UTC

Unless there's somebody watching you all the time. :shock:
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Sun May 06, 2007 3:12 am UTC

It would be even worse if somebody was watching you all the time AND didn't save you if you fell in.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Sun May 06, 2007 3:19 am UTC

And if they came by to the hole and spit in your eye.

Messiah

Postby Messiah » Sun May 06, 2007 7:39 am UTC

JuliaGlass wrote:But then there's no one to save you if you fall in.

Go to a rink.....As in, artificial, not a lake. No fear there.
"The possession of anything begins in the mind" - Bruce Lee

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Mon May 07, 2007 5:55 am UTC

i'm afraid that no one notices me. either that or they notice me and intentionally ignore me...
also, i'm afraid of creepy stalker people (it seems like they're the only people who don't ignore me :( ), but that's not so irrational...
Last edited by hotaru on Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Mon May 07, 2007 3:20 pm UTC

well, you can't have it both ways.

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Fri May 11, 2007 1:15 am UTC

got whipped by a stingray when I was 17.

took me a looooong time to get back in the water :shock:

I'll swim in the ocean now, but I still freak out about putting my feet down on the bottom. I'll swim horizontally in 2 feet of water just so I don't have to touch the bottom.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon May 28, 2007 12:36 am UTC

Hmmm...

Apart from the monsters under my bed?

I have an irrational fear that the ghost from the original Ring is standing in my spare room if I go upstairs in the dark. I have an irration fear that if I look out a window or into a mirror in the dark, someone will be looking back at me.

I also have an irrational fear of anything that could remotely be considered a "creepy-crawling". Apart from ants and flies I am freaked out by the idea of touching or being touched by insects, crustaceans, slugs, etc.

I blame my dad (like CrazyJimbo's story), my dad used to tease me with the heads of prawns when I was little, because they were ugly and scary. To this day he still teases me, and I still won't eat prawns.

Oh, and my dad told me that the gurgling of the bath water going down the drain was the Drain Monster. I still hate that sound.

EDIT: Sorry CrazyJimbo :(
Last edited by GhostWolfe on Mon May 28, 2007 1:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Mon May 28, 2007 12:42 am UTC

SilverWolfe wrote:I blame my dad (like LittleJimbo's story)...

For reference, here is 'LittleJimbo''s story...

Ok, I'm telling you guys this in confidence... don't go posting it all over the interwebs or anything.

When I was young, my mum used to chace me up the stairs, trying to pinch my bum. (It was a way to get me up the stairs and into bed quickly). Unfortunately, doing something to a kid everyday for years, kind of makes it stick. Now I feel really uneasy going up stairs with someone behind me. Running to get away just makes it worse. :oop:

Rockapotamus

Postby Rockapotamus » Mon May 28, 2007 12:57 am UTC

From the thread I made:
...my Odd Fear #1 is: Whenever I kill a spider, I get worried for a second that one of those Skulltulas from The Legend of Zelda is gonna drop down from the ceiling and attack me.

One day that's gonna happen, and I will soil my pants.
This is the end of the post.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon May 28, 2007 1:01 am UTC

Dude, I would love to have skulltulas in my house.

They/them

Rockapotamus

Postby Rockapotamus » Mon May 28, 2007 1:03 am UTC

I probably would, too. But if I just killed his cousin, he's gonna be mad.
This is the end of the post.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon May 28, 2007 1:27 am UTC

Another irrational fear: Being touched.

Um. Yeah. Slowly getting over this one, since the people in my studio are all huggy and stuff.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon May 28, 2007 1:28 am UTC

When I was younger I had a very specific fear of my basement - I was convinced when I went down there I would be followed by someone in a full suit of armor. I'm really not sure, in retrospect, why this alarmed me so much, considering at the least it's guaranteed I'd know when the guy was coming.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon May 28, 2007 1:29 am UTC

Ren wrote:Another irrational fear: Being touched.

Um. Yeah. Slowly getting over this one, since the people in my studio are all huggy and stuff.

It probably really really doesn't help, but I soo want to give you a hug right now.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Jadestone

FEAR ME MY MINIONS, FEAR ME!

Postby Jadestone » Mon May 28, 2007 1:54 am UTC

I don't think I'm scared of anything as in I have a phobia of it, really. I don't mind bugs or arachnids, and some I find quite fascinating. Don't mind clowns, ect. Though clowns can be creppy. I would be in trouble if I was afraid of going ice skating... I play hockey, so... yeah.

Not that I don't get scared, because I do. I just don't lie awake dreadinging things. Unless final exams count. But yeah.

However, sometimes when I'm walking back along the driveway (about 200 feet long and curving away from the road and house, mind you) after being told to run the garbage up I can get paranoid about noises and such. Than I make myself turn the flashlight off and walk slowly, and after a few seconds of this I make myself not afraid anymore. 'Tis useful, for me.

I used to be afraid of goblins hiding under my bed that had gotten there thhrough the parrallel universe hole underneath it, but a few minutes of standing with my ankles right near the edge in complete darkness
stopped that one too.

Hmm. I seem to enjoy torturing myself.

EDIT: Typo
EDITEDIT: I spelled 'Typo' wrong. *facepalm*
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon May 28, 2007 2:04 am UTC

I'm not afraid of much, I suppose... well, not consistently afraid of much, at least.
spiders are fine for me. My brother even had a huge one in his room he nicknamed the Beast. I was kinda freaked out by it for a while, but it was kinda cute. Then once it went upstairs while I was using the computer, and crawled diagonally across the wall behind the com in the ultra-creepy horror movie kind of way... I yelled and my dad grabbed it and threw it out. Now I feel sorry for it. It was missing a leg...

Jadestone

quoteyquoteyquote

Postby Jadestone » Mon May 28, 2007 2:11 am UTC

Oh, just got a quote to throw in-

"All of us are born with a set of instinctive fears - of falling, of the dark, of lobsters, of falling on lobsters in the dark, of speaking before a Rotary Club, and of the words "Some Assembly Required.""- Dave Barry
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

T3m3r1ty

Postby T3m3r1ty » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

Moths but not butterflies.
Motisophobia but not lepidopteraphobia.
Weird neh?
So far, not much else.
River: Noah's Ark is a problem.
Book: Really.
River: We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit five thousand species of mammal on the same boat.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:11 am UTC

Moths but not butterflies.

But luna moths are so badass.....

They/them

deadly penguin

Postby deadly penguin » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:13 am UTC

I saw this on the first page
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Getting lost in particularly big ball pools (again, not fun)
Getting lost in series of tubes (like that one in that McDonalds in America... If that kid who ever pointed me in the right direction to the slide (it was behind you, and then to my right) is reading this, thankyou!)

Those actually do sound like fun to me. When I was little I'd always try to bury my self in those ball pits and I always loved going to Odyssey Fun World (wow, odyssey is a tough word to spell) and wander around the maze of tunnels.

I've always feared cooking raw meat (not really feared...but avoided) for the fear that I'll cook it wrong and give everyone food poisoning

And I'm definitely scared of the highway.

...I can't think of any other ones right now, though I'll post them when I do

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:37 am UTC

Mine are very very very irrational.

Old people. Especially in old people's homes. Especially the Alzheimer's ones. I don't know why, but shaky old women asking me if Ellen is going to bring the baby tomorrow freaks me out.

Being picked up. This is more of a self esteem thing. I don't want someone to injure themselves trying to pick me up.

Spreading my toes. There's the tiniest bit of skin between your toes. And I'm afraid that if they're spread apart too far, the skin will rip.

Touching my belly button. I have to make a concerted effort to allow myself to touch it. Much less someone else touching it.

Call me crazy, but you did ask for irrational ones.

Drake Zure

Postby Drake Zure » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:51 am UTC

spiders
bees
large moths
Justin Timberlake
benjhuey wrote:
IceMod wrote:The fingers did surprise me though.

That's what SHE said.
And then she left. I wonder why...

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:52 am UTC

But...he's bringing sexy back!

They/them

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:54 am UTC

Centipedes. That's pretty much it, unless it's dark and my imagination is running overtime.

Edit: Have to add, as it is the most irrational fear ever, that I can't make a fist near my face in case I suddenly turn into Wolverine and can't control my claws.
Last edited by pollywog on Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Return to “General”