Books that make you genuinely laugh

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

eripio

Books that make you genuinely laugh

Postby eripio » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

.....laugh out loud?

The only book that has done that for me is Fear and loathing in las vegas.

What has done it for you guys?

Fix'd the title for clarity - ST

Ashi

Re: Books that make you genuinely....

Postby Ashi » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

I don't know if I'm qualified to answer, because tests can make me burst out laughing (when no humor was intended), but I've had a few I remember:
-Harry Potter, certain books
-A Tale of Two Cities
That, they never could lay their heads upon their pillows; that, they never could tolerate the idea of their wives laying their heads upon their pillows; that, they never could endure the notion of their children laying their heads upon their pillows; in short, that there never more could be, for them or theirs, any laying of heads upon pillows at all, unless the prisoner's head was taken off.

-Some nonfiction books, including Zero, A Briefer History of Time, and Symmetry and the Beautiful Universe.
BomanTheBear wrote:Do not go looking for the stupidest thing ever said on the internets.

You might find it. Then it will be too late to help you.

sirgregg

Postby sirgregg » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

Probably everything by Douglas Adams...
I wish I wouldn't have had read it before, so that I was able to will have would read it again ;)

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:34 am UTC

sirgregg wrote:Probably everything by Douglas Adams...
I wish I wouldn't have had read it before, so that I was able to will have would read it again ;)
Oh, totally. So much of it is pure absurdity that when you see stuff coming it gets less (but still very) funny. :D

Some other books have gotten me weird looks for laughing my head off in public are the Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging series, and the Bloody Jack series.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:54 am UTC

All of the Discworld books make me laugh. and many others, I'm sure, but if I need a laugh (from a book) it's Pratchett I turn to.
sirgregg wrote:I wish I wouldn't have had read it before, so that I was able to will have would read it again ;)
The best way I've found to overcome the lessening of the humour through familiarity is to read when drunk. Even better, read when you are drunk enough to be reading aloud and making silly voices.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Semidi

Re: Books that make you genuinely laugh

Postby Semidi » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:04 am UTC

The Dresden Files:
I forgot to take my George Orwell shaped multivitamins along with my breakfast cereal of Big Brother O's this morning.

I read that yesterday on the train going to school and burst out laughing. I got many funny looks.
"If you can't imagine how anyone could hold a view you are attacking, you just don't understand it yet."

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:07 am UTC

Any and all Bloom County collections.
Hitchhiker's Guide and Dirk Gently by Mr. Adams
Hsu and Chan: Too Much Adventure by Jeremy Norm Scott
Great Lies to Tell Small Kids by Andy Riley

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

Catch-22 made me laugh a few times. And some of Bill Bryson's books as well - I rememeber being reduced to fits of laughter by Neither Here Nor There.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Alder

Postby Alder » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:39 pm UTC

Most things by Douglas Adams...

Almost everything by P.G.Wodehouse - so good, particularly the non-Jeeves books, which is a shame, since they're where most folk would start with Wodehouse, and other than the early ones they're not his best. Try Piccadilly Jim, or Jill the Reckless, or any of the Psmith books...or Blandings Castle...or Uncle Fred. Yeah, pretty much, just read everything he wrote. There's only 90 or so...

And Bill Bryson makes me snort in public quite a lot. I was reading "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" last night, when I should've been sleeping, couldn't put it down...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

bennyprofane

Postby bennyprofane » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:07 am UTC

Gravity's Rainbow is really funny, in a slapstick, sort of situational way.

Don Quixote, Haruki Murakami in some of his novels, a few things by Franz Kafka, and most plays by Beckett and Albee. Oh, and of course, Douglas Adams.
"The single flower contains more brightness than a hundred flowers." - Yasunari Kawabata

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Obviously anything Douglas Adams has touched is laugh-worthy. Also Good Omens, to fulfill the Pratchett requirement.

Oh, and The Princess Bride.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:47 am UTC

The idea of Yoda answering phone directory services from Me Talk Pretty One Day got me laughing out loud. Then making several attempts to do a Yoda impersonation. All of which failed miserably.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Sto Helit

Postby Sto Helit » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

Anything by Tom Holt, Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.
They are all British authors, so the humor is a bit dry, but I love them.
Do not crush the flowers of wisdom with the hobnail boots of cynicism.
Bill Bailey

You look just like you!
Eric Idle

…And one of them turned to me and said, 'Oh my God! Eric Idle!'
Michael Palin

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:28 am UTC

I will admit I laughed at that camel through the head of a pin crack the first time I heard it.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Purky

Postby Purky » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

Anything by Christopher Brookmyre is always good, along with the obligatory Pratchett and Adams.
Oh oh oh and Love All The People (a compendium of Bill Hicks standup routines) is absolutely hilarious.

Colorbynumberz

Postby Colorbynumberz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:09 am UTC

I pretty much laughed all throughout Twilight. Smeyer knows how to write her comedy.
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

"No woman is required to build the world by destroying herself."
-Rabbi Sofer

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:46 am UTC

Sto Helit wrote:Anything by Tom Holt, Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.
They are all British authors, so the humor is a bit dry, but I love them.

You know, only four authors have ever made me burst out laughing, and they are all British. Three were the three you just named (Holt's Faust Among Equals had my sides hurting) and the fourth is P.G. Wodehouse -- I'm totally in love with Jeeves and Wooster.

Actually, I should include Neil Gaiman, cuz really it was only one Pratchett book and that was Good Omens, which was co-authored. I love Discworld but only Good Omens had me totally cracking up.

Still, all British!
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

mystic_aura

Postby mystic_aura » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

The Noble series by Katie Mcalister! Its a series:
Noble Intentions, Noble Destiny, and The trouble with Harry - (these are categorized under romance, however)
I distinctly liked the Noble Destiny - Her sense of humour strikes you when you least expect it; I really like that.
Definitely a good read. :D Has anyone else read them?
'I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself king of infinite space.' - Hamlet

yolesaber

Postby yolesaber » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien is a recent one that made me laugh pretty hard. It starts off slow but once it gets caught up in its own metaphysics its hilarious. Overall funniest book is easily Catch-22, though, perhaps followed by Against the Day, which as far as I am concerned is Pynchon's best.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

Warren Ellis' Crooked Little Vein, definately. Just the first page alone made me crack up for several minutes on my first reading it:

I opened my eyes to see the rat taking a piss in my coffee mug. It was a huge brown bastard; had a body like a turd with legs and beady black eyes full of secret rat knowledge. Making a smug huffling sound, it threw itself from the table to the floor, and scuttled back into the hole in the wall where it had spent the last three months planning new ways to screw me around. I'd tried nailing wood over the gap in the wainscot, but it gnawed through it and spat the wet pieces into my shoes. After that, I spiked bait with warfarin, but the poison seemed to somehow cause it to evolve and become a super-rat. I nailed it across the eyes once with a lucky shot with the butt of my gun, but it got up again and shat in my telephone.

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:39 am UTC

Anything by: Douglas Adams, P.G. Wodehouse, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie. Also the Red Dwarf books.
Some things by: Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., James Thurber.
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:12 am UTC

Obviously Adams makes me laugh, but not as much now that I know whats coming. The one book that consistently fall over laughing is Lamb by Christopher Moore. It's a retelling of the gospels from the perspective of Jesus' childhood friend Biff, complete with Buddhist monks. READ IT!
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:46 am UTC

I started reading that once, but I was supposed to be doing other things so my sister hid it and then we moved and never found it again. no, really, this actually happened.

anyway, back on topic.

I loved "the new pilgrim's progress" by mark twain. It's a story of the first ever cruise ship run, complete with every single tourist stereotype known to man, made even better by the fact that they were all real.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:05 am UTC

How I Got This Way, by Pat F. McManus
I should get around to finding some other books by him.
David Sedaris, and Laurie Nataro, I forget which parts tho'.
Adams and Pratchett are pretty funny, of course.
Hm, I know there have been others.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

zomgmouse wrote:Anything by: Douglas Adams, P.G. Wodehouse, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie. Also the Red Dwarf books.
Some things by: Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., James Thurber.

James Thurber, yes! I need to read more by him, because he is awesome. And ditto Stephen Fry, really. What did you find particularly funny amongst their works? (I totally need some recommends.)
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

TheAmazingTD

Postby TheAmazingTD » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

Well, all of Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books make me laugh. I haven't read the other stories of Discworld yet, because I'm rereading Wintersmith first, then I'm going to try Witches abroad which has been recommended to me. Also, the Jennings and Darbyshire books by Anthony Buckeridge always make me laugh.
Belial wrote:I judge the worth of many human beings on a 5 axis scale.

2 of the axes are how much they like firefly.

greycloud

Postby greycloud » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

((first post :D))

Books that made me laugh? Definitely the Red Dwarf books - every one that I read was comic genius. And Jeremy Clarkson has a very good humour if you can put up with his, *ahem*, oppinionated point of view. And that he likes to talk about cars and stuff.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:00 am UTC

The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer.

I'm not even half way through and I can't hold back the sniggers and laughs. I got a kick out of the idea of an Imperial Guardsman reciting the Litany of Stealth while trying to sneak up on an enemy.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

evren

Postby evren » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:04 am UTC

Everyone already mentioned mine; clearly I am in the right place.
Anything by Terry Pratchett, and anything by Neil Gaiman. I started reading their books separately when I entered high school, and was amazed to discover that they had already coauthored Good Omens, which I've loved since. William Goldman's The Princess Bride always makes me laugh, even though I know it too well for any of it to be new. Anything from Douglas Adams also qualifies here, as well as P. G. Wodehouse's Jeeves. Stephen Fry and Flann O'Brien also make my list, although I hadn't thought of them until I read this thread.
More recently, The White Tiger made me laugh out loud, although it's darker than usual.
And The Zombie Survival Guide, because sometimes scary is funny.

Koboldskind

Postby Koboldskind » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

Since Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett are already well-represented here, I'll just /agree on them and add yet another brit: Jasper Fforde!

Almost an equal to Douglas Adams in absurdity, yet very different in style. He was the first new author i found for a long time that made me laugh out loud. While some familiarity with classic english literature helps to make the Thursday Next series even more funny (or so i'm told), it's hilarious without that kind of arcane knowledge.

"Plock plock," spoke the dodo.

jeffk

Postby jeffk » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:12 pm UTC

kinigget wrote:I loved "the new pilgrim's progress" by mark twain. It's a story of the first ever cruise ship run, complete with every single tourist stereotype known to man, made even better by the fact that they were all real.

Hal Holbrook's Mark Twain Tonight! repertoire includes the "coffee" story from that book (aka The Innocents Abroad). We saw his show live about 15 years ago, and I don't remember if the coffee story was in that performance, or if it's in the film.

But yes.
Mark Twain wrote:
Spoiler:
I am reminded, now, of one of these complaints of the cookery made by a passenger. The coffee had been steadily growing more and more execrable for the space of three weeks, till at last it had ceased to be coffee altogether and had assumed the nature of mere discolored water — so this person said. He said it was so weak that it was transparent an inch in depth around the edge of the cup. As he approached the table one morning he saw the transparent edge — by means of his extraordinary vision — long before he got to his seat. He went back and complained in a high-handed way to Capt. Duncan. He said the coffee was disgraceful. The Captain showed his. It seemed tolerably good. The incipient mutineer was more outraged than ever, then, at what he denounced as the partiality shown the captain's table over the other tables in the ship. He flourished back and got his cup and set it down triumphantly, and said:

"Just try that mixture once, Captain Duncan."

He smelt it — tasted it — smiled benignantly — then said:

"It is inferior — for coffee — but it is pretty fair tea."

The humbled mutineer smelt it, tasted it, and returned to his seat. He had made an egregious ass of himself before the whole ship. He did it no more. After that he took things as they came. That was me.

EDIT: Fixed typo in quote. Punch line # 1, of all places :oops:

Dayman

Postby Dayman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:29 am UTC

The story "Guts" from Haunted by Chuck P. made me lmao while reading it in Barnes and Noble. It gave me a bucnch of good ideas to try out later.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

P.G. Wodehouse.

What a guy!

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:29 am UTC

I remembered another one Although that was partly because my mom was reading it out loud in the bookstore and stuff.

Dayman wrote:The story "Guts" from Haunted by Chuck P. made me lmao while reading it in Barnes and Noble.
Interesting word choice.

Jack Gantos, I think. Which of the Jack's Black Book series is it where he plays "chase the headless chicken"?

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

Adding to the Pratchett and Adams chorus, with seconds for Christopher Brookmyre and Bill Bryson, and the addition of Carl Hiaasen, Dave Barry and Robert Rankin, and anything involving Spike Milligan.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Xutar

Postby Xutar » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:02 am UTC

Kurt Vonnegut's works have been delightfully funny to me. Cat's Cradle gave me a perfect response when people ask me what religion I subscribe to. Slaughterhouse 5 was very funny in some areas, like when the aliens try to explain their interpretation of time. Or when the guy is obsessed with his Horse pornography.

Probably Human

Postby Probably Human » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:48 am UTC

As has been mentioned many, many times, anything by Douglas Adams or Bill Bryson. A few things by Eoin Colfer used to make me laugh, but not anymore. Also, I laugh harder every time I read the Twilight series *hides in a corner and hopes the Twilight fans don't try to suck my blood*
Maybe if my signature is witty enough someone will finally love me.

Phill

Postby Phill » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

The last book which made me laugh out loud was "Starter for Ten" by David Nicholls.

One more name to add to the usual suspects (Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett...) is Scott Adams. I really like his books (not the comic collections, although I do like those too) - when he's on form he can be really funny. One of my favourite examples of his writing is on his blog (unfortunately can't find the active link anymore, although I think it was published in the book "Stick to Drawing Comics, Monkey Brain") where he talks about silent H's, after someone pulled him up about the spelling of 'Gandhi'.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

Wuh? There's no silent 'H' in 'Gandhi'.

I have no authors to add to this thread, but I second recommendations of Douglas Adams, PG Wodehouse, Terry Pratchett, Kurt Vonnegut, and Joseph Heller.

Phill

Postby Phill » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Wuh? There's no silent 'H' in 'Gandhi'.

True, but what Scott Adams wrote was funny anyway :)

Return to “Books”