Bush attacked with shoes

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Kaiyas

Bush attacked with shoes

Postby Kaiyas » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081214/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush
BAGHDAD – On an Iraq trip shrouded in secrecy and marred by dissent, President George W. Bush on Sunday hailed progress in the war that defines his presidency and got a size-10 reminder of his unpopularity when a man hurled two shoes at him during a news conference.

"This is a farewell kiss, you dog!" shouted the protester in Arabic, later identified as Muntadar al-Zeidi, a correspondent for Al-Baghdadia television, an Iraqi-owned station based in Cairo, Egypt.

Bush ducked both shoes as they whizzed past his head and landed with a thud against the wall behind him.

"It was a size 10," Bush joked later.

As funny as it may be, I can't help thinking that that guy could've had a gun instead.
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

Sarr

Re: Bush attacked with shoes

Postby Sarr » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

Well, I was listening to a story about this on the radio, and in Iraq throwing one's shoes at someone is a MAJOR insult. Also, I think security woulda caught a gun. Not so much with shoes.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

cwoodin

Postby cwoodin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

Did anything happen to al-Zeidi? I can't imagine Bush's security guys would be terribly pleased.
He said he never tells a lie!
He was lying about that.

masher

Postby masher » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:28 pm UTC

and now everyone that does an interview with hime will have to remove their shoes :roll:

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:15 am UTC

masher wrote:and now everyone that does an interview with hime will have to remove their shoes :roll:

this.

i wonder, what if the guy did have a gun, or if the shoe had hit? i may not like the guy, but jeez...
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:19 am UTC

videogamesizzle wrote:
masher wrote:and now everyone that does an interview with hime will have to remove their shoes :roll:

this.

i wonder, what if the guy did have a gun, or if the shoe had hit? i may not like the guy, but jeez...

He threw his shoes at George Bush. What isn't to like?
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Arc

Postby Arc » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:23 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:
videogamesizzle wrote:i wonder, what if the guy did have a gun, or if the shoe had hit? i may not like the guy, but jeez...

He missed. :)

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:29 am UTC

I don't have any real negative feelings towards Bush but the video made me laugh.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:41 am UTC

videogamesizzle wrote:

what if the guy did have a gun
I'd like to say again, the likelyhood of him getting a gun past security is not much. They probably woudn't think much about shoes.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Rey

Postby Rey » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:29 am UTC

This is just further proof that shoes are inadequate weapons. Socks on the other hand...

Sarr wrote:Well, I was listening to a story about this on the radio, and in Iraq throwing one's shoes at someone is a MAJOR insult. Also, I think security woulda caught a gun. Not so much with shoes.

Did they mention the history of that? I am wondering what teh meaning behind it is. Other then, next It will be the socks.
The revolution will be televised in HD,
for the children!

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:55 am UTC

No they didn't, sadly. I wonder how it came about as well.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:31 am UTC

Rey wrote:Did they mention the history of that? I am wondering what teh meaning behind it is. Other then, next It will be the socks.
If I remember correctly, it has to do with how dirty shoes get in the desert. When you are walking around in the dusty desert for a few hours, your shoes get a lot of grime on them. Naturally, an easy way to insult people is to throw your shoes at them. It's like almost like throwing mud at someone.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:34 am UTC

It's the same thing for crossing your legs so that the bottom of your shoe points towards someone. It's essentially pointing what is generally the dirtiest part of your body towards the person. Naturally not percieved as very nice.
*waggles eyebrows*

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:45 am UTC

Arc wrote:
headprogrammingczar wrote:
videogamesizzle wrote:i wonder, what if the guy did have a gun, or if the shoe had hit? i may not like the guy, but jeez...

He missed. :)

Not his fault. It was a great shot. Our fearless leader has excellent reflexes.

I remembered those lines in The West Wing about Secret Service; namely "the best armed guard in the history of the world" and about how with the assassination attempt, agents apprehended the shooters - an act that required running up five flights of stairs - nine point two seconds after the first shot was fired. (Sounds impossible to me, although they did have a moment's warning before the first shot.) I remembered that, when I saw the guy throw one shoe, and when I saw that he got to throw a second shoe. Seems to me that shouldn't have happened. Bush, I don't know, I guess I don't hope that he dies, but these same cats are going to be guarding Obama.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

GabrielF

Postby GabrielF » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:01 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:I remembered those lines in The West Wing about Secret Service; namely "the best armed guard in the history of the world" and about how with the assassination attempt, agents apprehended the shooters - an act that required running up five flights of stairs - nine point two seconds after the first shot was fired. (Sounds impossible to me, although they did have a moment's warning before the first shot.) I remembered that, when I saw the guy throw one shoe, and when I saw that he got to throw a second shoe. Seems to me that shouldn't have happened. Bush, I don't know, I guess I don't hope that he dies, but these same cats are going to be guarding Obama.

Actually in the show they returned fire and killed the guys so there was no stair-running. That was part of the plot with CJ and the secret service agent - he felt guilty about killing a teenage assassin during the attack.

As for Al-Zeidi - I'd be interested to see if he gets fired (assuming the Iraqis release him). Iraq did not have a free press until the invasion and many countries without journalistic traditions tend to miss one of the key points - that journalists have rights but also special responsibilities. You can't throw a shoe at a guy during a press conference and call yourself a journalist.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:06 am UTC

Ah! That explains it. One secret service agent later on made a big honking deal out of the five stories bit, but I guess I missed that he never actually claimed they ran it.

Still, I'm feeling a little robbed here. Best-trained armed guards in the history of the world ought to notice when someone's winding up to throw a shoe.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:15 am UTC

I am just amazed at all the anger it must have taken to throw your shoe at the president, That is so intense.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Arc

Postby Arc » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:16 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:Not his fault. It was a great shot. Our fearless leader has excellent reflexes.

He was pretty fast to dodge that first shoe, but I still say it would have been funnier had it hit him.
I remembered those lines in The West Wing about Secret Service; namely "the best armed guard in the history of the world" and about how with the assassination attempt, agents apprehended the shooters - an act that required running up five flights of stairs - nine point two seconds after the first shot was fired. (Sounds impossible to me, although they did have a moment's warning before the first shot.) I remembered that, when I saw the guy throw one shoe, and when I saw that he got to throw a second shoe. Seems to me that shouldn't have happened. Bush, I don't know, I guess I don't hope that he dies, but these same cats are going to be guarding Obama.

I suppose you have to give them a little slack here; these guys are expecting attacks involving gunfire and explosions. The shoe-throwing tactic probably caught them a bit off guard. Which, I suppose, is fortunate for Bush--the things that catch the Secret Service by surprise are mostly harmless and borderline comical.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:20 am UTC

Not to be unfashionable, but I could never really get into hating Bush. I'm kind of awed by the passion it'd take to do this, but mostly I'm terrified that the reaction to someone physically assaulting a politician for something he said has been mostly positive.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:31 am UTC

It's like throwing tomatoes at the actors of a poor play. Mob mentality, really.

Anyways, I would suspect throwing shoes at someone is as bad as a kick on the ass. It symbolizes utter dismissal. That you are dirt to be kicked around by shoes, or even less.

I do not have much sympathy for Bush, and I do admit I saw the act as quite comical. However, I still sort of pity him for his having to content with his legacy. He's easily one of the most negligent presidents in history according to Americans, and it must not be easy to know that you'll die as a very unpleasant memory for people.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:38 am UTC

Lycur wrote:Not to be unfashionable, but I could never really get into hating Bush. I'm kind of awed by the passion it'd take to do this, but mostly I'm terrified that the reaction to someone physically assaulting a politician for something he said has been mostly positive.

Mostly I just get annoyed by people who portray him as either pure evil (masterminded 9/11) or as a complete moron (see: every late night show, comedian). He may not be the best president in how he leads the nation, and he may not be the most moral president either, but I really doubt that he would kill a bunch of people for entirely selfish reasons, or that he can't read. And everyone makes verbal blunders by the way.

I think that at worst he is a man of normal intelligence and normal morality. Not a very good president at all, though.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Arc

Postby Arc » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:39 am UTC

Lycur wrote:Not to be unfashionable, but I could never really get into hating Bush. I'm kind of awed by the passion it'd take to do this, but mostly I'm terrified that the reaction to someone physically assaulting a politician for something he said has been mostly positive.

IMO, the positive reaction to Bush being assaulted has more to do with "Lulz, that guy threw his shoe at him" than dislike for Bush. I suppose not liking Bush helps, but if any politician were attacked by an angry, shoe-throwing person, I would find it amusing regardless of the politician.

roc314

Postby roc314 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Arc wrote:

IMO, the positive reaction to Bush being assaulted has more to do with "Lulz, that guy threw his shoe at him" than dislike for Bush. I suppose not liking Bush helps, but if any politician were attacked by an angry, shoe-throwing person, I would find it amusing regardless of the politician.
Of course, it being Bush multiplies that amusing level by n, where n is arbitrarily large.

I think my favorite part is Bush's response to it (see the end of the video here). Attention Mr Bush: it wasn't really trying to draw attention to himself or a cause, much like telling you to "fuck off" would not be an attempt to draw attention to himself, but rather an attempt to say he hates you (inclusive) or your policies.
sje46 wrote:I think that at best he is a man of normal intelligence and normal morality. Not a very good president at all, though.
Fix'd.
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Arc wrote:

I've seen an awful lot of "about time" and "I wish it had hit him" and more than one "too bad it wasn't a gun". Those might be minority positions, but it's a ant minority and it's rather bleak. Actually, I may be overreacting as a result of being habitually humour defecient; I wouldn't have laughed even if he'd been getting hit by a football in the groin.

roc314

Postby roc314 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:57 am UTC

Lycur wrote:I've seen an awful lot of "about time" and "I wish it had hit him" and more than one "too bad it wasn't a gun". Those might be minority positions, but it's a ant minority and it's rather bleak. Actually, I may be overreacting as a result of being habitually humour defecient; I wouldn't have laughed even if he'd been getting hit by a football in the groin.
When throwing the shoe at Bush, the man yelled "This is for the widows and orphans and all those killed in Iraq" (see the link in my previous post for citation). I think that a lot of people amused by this event feel similarly about Bush: that he is responsible for policies that lead to many problems and deaths in Iraq. So laughing at this guy throwing a shoe is kind of like everyone agreeing with why the shoe was thrown. Especially if you interpret it as an insult rather than a physical attack (I can't get behind the "I wish it was a gun" people). I think that a lot of people (me included), if given the chance, would yell insults at Bush.

And shoe-throwing is just an inherently funny way to insult someone.

Arc

Postby Arc » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:15 am UTC

roc314 wrote:Of course, it being Bush multiplies that amusing level by n, where n is arbitrarily large.
You've got a point there. Bush+Foreign Location+Comical Event is an equation that can only result in something highly amusing or something embarrassing to watch for Americans, and probably humans in general.
I think my favorite part is Bush's response to it (see the end of the video here). Attention Mr Bush: it wasn't really trying to draw attention to himself or a cause, much like telling you to "fuck off" would not be an attempt to draw attention to himself, but rather an attempt to say he hates you (inclusive) or your policies.
Yeah, he totally missed the point on this. The guy was trying to draw Bush's attention to his extensive hatred for Bush, not some cause.
Lycur wrote:I've seen an awful lot of "about time" and "I wish it had hit him" and more than one "too bad it wasn't a gun". Those might be minority positions, but it's a ant minority and it's rather bleak. Actually, I may be overreacting as a result of being habitually humour defecient; I wouldn't have laughed even if he'd been getting hit by a football in the groin.
Oh, that's what you meant. I haven't seen anyone of that opinion, here or elsewhere, but I don't frequent many discussion boards. That people would express a desire that the guy had shot Bush is alarming, no matter how bad a president he has been.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:22 am UTC

His answer to the question wasn't half bad.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:50 am UTC

Pirate.Bondage wrote:I don't have any real negative feelings towards Bush ....
ah, the sweet innocence of youth...

Lycur wrote:I'm terrified that the reaction to someone physically assaulting a politician for something he said has been mostly positive.
What, like the part when he 'said' "Invade [your country]"? I'd be pretty damn pissed.

Or, forgetting about the middle-easterners for a moment, how about the thousands of U.S. troops killed because of the war. I'm sure a lot of those soldiers' families are angry as well.

Or how he brought the national debt and deficit to gigantic record levels during a time of economic prosperity, and now has led us into the worst economic times since the great depression.

Or how he bloated the government, politicized it with partisan hacks who don't know snakes from dildoes about the constitution, and hacked away at the rights of citizens (not to mention non-citizens in the U.S.!)

Or how he completely antagonized the world by pulling out of international treaties. Or how he cares more about being elected than about governing. Or how he wishes that his presidency could be over now, instead of waiting until January to pass it over to Obama.

Don't forget his approval rating--in the low 20s. 70-80% of people disapprove of the guy.

George Walker Bush is a remarkable president, in that he is doing a remarkably shit of a job.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:25 am UTC

I don't know what the rules are for posting pictures, but I thought his years in dodging service served him well looking at this GIF.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:42 am UTC

Well, at least you can't fault him for stuffing the room with supporters.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:45 am UTC

Have you seen the video? Those particular shoes provide excellent support.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:16 am UTC

"You can't throw a shoe at a guy during a press conference and call yourself a journalist."

Spider Jerusalem would have done it.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:55 am UTC

Jesse wrote:"You can't throw a shoe at a guy during a press conference and call yourself a journalist."

Spider Jerusalem would have done it.

Spider Jerusalem would have hit his mark, and forced an embarrassing admission from the Prez while doing it. And smoking.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:25 pm UTC

I believe, had he missed due to the Presidents fast reaction, he may have accused him of "ducking the question."

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:I remembered that, when I saw the guy throw one shoe, and when I saw that he got to throw a second shoe. Seems to me that shouldn't have happened. Bush, I don't know, I guess I don't hope that he dies, but these same cats are going to be guarding Obama.
They had about a second and a half to get to a guy in the middle of the room. If Bush had felt like he was in danger, he could have gotten down behind the podium or something.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

The Iraqi govt. is holding the reporter in question for a bizarre crime. I mean, the guy should be tried for assault (I'm using the American legal definition) and given the small sentence that that implies. I don't want to think too much about what the sentence for a "barbaric act" could be.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:The Iraqi govt. is holding the reporter in question for a bizarre crime. I mean, the guy should be tried for assault (I'm using the American legal definition) and given the small sentence that that implies. I don't want to think too much about what the sentence for a "barbaric act" could be.
IFLP. I understand that it's a relatively serious assault, but I have a bad feeling about what punishment "barbaric acts" carries.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:IFLP. I understand that it's a relatively serious assault, but I have a bad feeling about what punishment "barbaric acts" carries.
It's a fairly serious insult, but the mark of a civilized society is that you can insult someone without any repercussions (excluding slander/libel). It's also a mark of a civilized society that you can't assault someone without any repercussions, so this guy does need to be punished for throwing something at someone- but he shouldn't be punished for insulting a foreign president being welcomed by the government.

[edit]I am amused that IFLP stands for both "I feel like puking" and "Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals."
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

Presidents and shoes aside, what do you think of yelling:
This is a farewell kiss, you dog!
before engaging in some sort of violent action? Thats pretty high up there in one-liner quality. If you want to americanize it a bit more i guess you could go with:
Leaving so soon? Howabout a farewell kiss?
(building/car in background explodes)

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:Presidents and shoes aside, what do you think of yelling:
This is a farewell kiss, you dog!
before engaging in some sort of violent action? Thats pretty high up there in one-liner quality. If you want to americanize it a bit more i guess you could go with:
Leaving so soon? Howabout a farewell kiss?
(building/car in background explodes)

I would have gone with shouting "IRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQ!" in the style of "SPAAARTA!" for added pop-culture comedy kudos. The man would have been a hero of the chans for years to come.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Return to “News & Articles”