Advertisements watching people

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Fett42

Advertisements watching people

Postby Fett42 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:44 pm UTC

From http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090131/ ... c_nosy_ads:

MILWAUKEE - Watch an advertisement on a video screen in a mall, health club or grocery store and there's a slim — but growing — chance the ad is watching you too.

Small cameras can now be embedded in the screen or hidden around it, tracking who looks at the screen and for how long. The makers of the tracking systems say the software can determine the viewer's gender, approximate age range and, in some cases, ethnicity — and can change the ads accordingly.

That could mean razor ads for men, cosmetics ads for women and video-game ads for teens.

And even if the ads don't shift based on which people are watching, the technology's ability to determine the viewers' demographics is golden for advertisers who want to know how effectively they're reaching their target audience.

While the technology remains in limited use for now, advertising industry analysts say it is finally beginning to live up to its promise. The manufacturers say their systems can accurately determine gender 85 to 90 percent of the time, while accuracy for the other measures continues to be refined.

I'm sure companies wouldn't be doing this and announcing it so openly if it clearly violated a law. I'm not necessarily against it, but it certainly seems wierd... thoughts?

wst

Re: Advertisements watching people

Postby wst » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

Anyone want to break it by crossdressing?
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

Yes, yes I do.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

This is just scary.

If it is not against the law, it should be made against the law ASAP.

Surveillance cameras are bad enough. But surveillance camera's that are hidden and viewed by totally unknown people, for inscrutable purposes. No thank you.

If I knew of such a ad screen near me, I would destroy it. I'm serious. Civilians can not afford to tolerate this.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

If I'm looking at an ad for a video game and it suddenly changes to an add for cosmetics, I will promptly make a disgusted face and walk away.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

teamcorndog

Postby teamcorndog » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:If I knew of such a ad screen near me, I would destroy it. I'm serious. Civilians can not afford to tolerate this.

How is it worse than more standard types of advertising? The point of an ad is to make YOU buy something. They're just trying to streamline the process.
I think it would be nice to only see ads for things I'm interested in...but there's no way an ad camera thingy could do that by just looking at me. In fact I'd probably end up seeing even fewer ads I like.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

Megatriorchis wrote:If I'm looking at an ad for a video game and it suddenly changes to an add for cosmetics, I will promptly make a disgusted face and walk away.
They're trying to tell you something :P

If you get loads of people to look at it, will it explode? It looks at me and thinks 'Car magazine', and looks at the kid next to me and thinks 'Gobstopper'. "Gobstopper Monthly" Magazine then?
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

These would only really be useful for public TV sets, I doubt anyone would want to have their jounge room open to display to strangers.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

wst wrote:Anyone want to break it by crossdressing?

I think it'd be better to go all out and show it a picture of a kitty and various other animals, eventually ending with a nuclear explosion.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:40 pm UTC

wst wrote:If you get loads of people to look at it, will it explode? It looks at me and thinks 'Car magazine', and looks at the kid next to me and thinks 'Gobstopper'. "Gobstopper Monthly" Magazine then?
It could be a car made of Gobstoppers. Or a magazine of Gobstopper cars. Or a magazine made of Gobstoppers.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:This is just scary.

If it is not against the law, it should be made against the law ASAP.

Surveillance cameras are bad enough. But surveillance camera's that are hidden and viewed by totally unknown people, for inscrutable purposes. No thank you.

If I knew of such a ad screen near me, I would destroy it. I'm serious. Civilians can not afford to tolerate this.

... Erm, why? How is it any worse than the few hundred security and CCTV cameras already watching you since you're in a mall already? Hell, if you live in a place like London, you'd be recorded every step of the way from your house to the mall in the first place. The only difference is the application of this particular camera. Your privacy isn't being violated any more than it already is.

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:02 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:... Erm, why? How is it any worse than the few hundred security and CCTV cameras already watching you since you're in a mall already? Hell, if you live in a place like London, you'd be recorded every step of the way from your house to the mall in the first place. The only difference is the application of this particular camera. Your privacy isn't being violated any more than it already is.

Because, presumably, CCTV cameras and security cameras are at least ostensibly there for your benefit (and you generally know where they are), whereas these ad cameras are hidden and there just to help marketing departments?
Jesus Christ you have confused me

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

Amoeba wrote:
Jack Saladin wrote:... Erm, why? How is it any worse than the few hundred security and CCTV cameras already watching you since you're in a mall already? Hell, if you live in a place like London, you'd be recorded every step of the way from your house to the mall in the first place. The only difference is the application of this particular camera. Your privacy isn't being violated any more than it already is.
Because, presumably, CCTV cameras and security cameras are at least ostensibly there for your benefit
Hahahahahahahaahahahaahaahahahah. For your benefit? Hahahaahahahahaha.

EDIT: If you have a really good excuse for something (even if it's not true), that makes it okay?
Last edited by roc314 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

Marketing departments and stores already install plenty of hidden cameras around malls and shopping centres to keep tabs on your shopping habits - how long you spend in each store, the path you take, how often you buy things. It's been going on for many years.

And fucking lawl@ CCTV and security cameras being there for "our own good." Jesus fuck, you're a totalitarian governments dream citizen, ain't ya? CCTV cameras have been used for discrimination, spying, violations of privacy, private gain, and profit ever since they were introduced. Honestly, just using a camera to change what's on a billboard is pretty innocent as far as these things go.

Pa-Patch

Postby Pa-Patch » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

Have you ever been to a store where a talkative clerk tries to bond/level/talk with you based on your appearance? Like, "Hey, a big man like you could sure you some of these big ol' steaks!". It may not be that common these days, but it's far from unheard of, and pretty common in certain places like car dealerships.
It's annoying and stupid, yes, but really this is just replacing that guy with a machine. It's pretty far from ominous.

And guys, CCTV isn't exactly Big Brother. If they forced them into our homes, then it would be bad. In public places or private institutions, they mostly (exceptions exist, of course) just make it easier to identify criminals. Basically right now they just enforce laws. If you're worried about totalitarianism, worry about what's illegal, not how hard it is to get away with things.
Last edited by Pa-Patch on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:23 pm UTC

roc314 wrote:Hahahahahahahaahahahaahaahahahah. For your benefit? Hahahaahahahahaha.

EDIT: If you have a really good excuse for something (even if it's not true), that makes it okay?

Ah, grow up. Ostensibly. You see that word there? I'm not arguing either way whether security cameras are or aren't a good thing, just pointing out why someone might see a difference between them and cameras in a billboard.
Jesus Christ you have confused me

Heft

Postby Heft » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

I don't really see anything wrong with this, especially since it's not being used to monitor people, but just to try to refine advertisements. I don't really understand how it would work effectively in a crowded mall, but assuming it somehow does, ohwell. It doesn't sound like anyone is actually watching the tapes or anything like that, and there certainly isn't any sinister intent in it.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

Amoeba wrote:
roc314 wrote:Hahahahahahahaahahahaahaahahahah. For your benefit? Hahahaahahahahaha.

Ah, grow up. Ostensibly. You see that word there? I'm not arguing either way whether security cameras are or aren't a good thing, just pointing out why someone might see a difference between them and cameras in a billboard.

Well this is "ostensibly" to benefit you as well. It gives you the ads you might actually be interested in. Not to mention, like I said, there are plenty of cameras already in shopping areas that are there solely for marketing purposes, and to observe your shopping patterns. How is this any worse than those? Why isn't that guy out destroying all the millions of those cameras?

I think they just need to wack in some cheesy salesman AI and a voice synthesiser with a southern accent, and people will be much more comfortable with these signs.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:38 pm UTC

wst wrote:Anyone want to break it by crossdressing?
My first thought was to mess with their statistics by getting people to just stand there staring for ages.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

Or getting cardboard cutouts of people and leaving them there.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

I forgot the difference in reaction between British and American people over cameras. "Eh, get on with life." vs. "Break out the guns!"
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:52 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I forgot the difference in reaction between British and American people over cameras. "Eh, get on with life." vs. "Break out the guns!"
More like, "Meh, I don't mind," vs. "This might lead to invasion of my privacy."

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I forgot the difference in reaction between British and American people over cameras. "Eh, get on with life." vs. "Break out the guns!"

Well when else are we going to get out the guns, not like the red coats are keen on coming over for round three? We got them, might as well break them out.

Jahan

Postby Jahan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:37 am UTC

This is not as creepy as my home towns screens. They have a nigh photo-realistic cgi woman who looks as people go past next to the words "Welcome to Blackburn Shopping Centre". She tilts her head or moves it as if she is watching you walk past the screen. Sure it occasionally breaks for ads but it's still creepy.

edit: You should get a load of nuns to stop infront of a screen showing off lingerie.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:20 am UTC

Just because we've allowed our privacy to be invaded in many ways does not mean we should now feel blase about yet another invasion of it. We should be chalenging this kind of thing wherever it appears, making a stand that this was one step too far, then work to remove the invasions of privacy that already exist.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:45 am UTC

I like salidin's idea of cardboard cutouts. You can make thier data useless in a nonviolent way.

Malice

Postby Malice » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:58 am UTC

Pa-Patch wrote:And guys, CCTV isn't exactly Big Brother. If they forced them into our homes, then it would be bad. In public places or private institutions, they mostly (exceptions exist, of course) just make it easier to identify criminals. Basically right now they just enforce laws. If you're worried about totalitarianism, worry about what's illegal, not how hard it is to get away with things.

The problem with that idea is that by the time they've made "being gay" or "talking out against the government" illegal, they'll already have all the pieces in place to enforce that law and crush anybody who tries to break it in secret or fight back. The defense of privacy is an early line of defense against tyranny, not a late one.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Not to mention, even if the laws are fine, you still have to rely on a whole bunch of people to not take advantage of that system regardless. I don't trust security companies, I don't trust cops, I don't trust governments, and I don't want any of them watching me.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:38 am UTC

The biggest reason I don't have a problem with CCTV is that the cameras might be constantly monitoring us but the people aren't. Once at work I got told not to do something slightly naughty because the cameras are watching me. I know how many cameras there are in the store, I know where the computer is they can be monitored from, and I know how often managers sit there watching the cameras... virtually, never. Even if they want to review footage... hours and hours of watching several screens... they're not gonna ping me for something unless they already know I'm doing it and have set a trap for me.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:48 am UTC

Does the screen display ads for piercings and Public Image Ltd albums for people who flip it off?

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:21 am UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:I know how many cameras there are in the store, I know where the computer is they can be monitored from, and I know how often managers sit there watching the cameras... virtually, never. Even if they want to review footage... hours and hours of watching several screens... they're not gonna ping me for something unless they already know I'm doing it and have set a trap for me.

And if some manager takes a dislike to you, and decides to go looking for "evidence"? This isn't about these technologies being used properly, as in to stop staff doing naughty stuff. It's about installing a pervasive, powerful system and just hoping that no one abuses it. The potential for abuse with these things is absolutely scary.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:07 am UTC

Fett42 wrote:That could mean razor ads for men, cosmetics ads for women and video-game ads for teens.
Well that's not fair, what if I want cosmetics ads?!
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:01 am UTC

Id wanna put a cutout in front of one all day just to get it stuck (or maybe a couple different ones so it loops in confusion)
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:37 am UTC

Note to self: Make faces, move things in front of cameras, flip it off...

Also, this is scary. Let's devise a plan to destroy these adver-cams!
...It made more sense in my head.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:46 am UTC

I wonder how it copes with trans people.

EstLladon
Beat you to the park. From RUSSIA.

Postby EstLladon » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

What if instead of camera it was actual booth with actual person inside it instructed and paid minimum wage to change the ads according to gender and age of person standing in front of it? It doesn't seem so frightening and privacy intruding.

Edited for slight stupidity.
From Russia with math.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:18 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:I wonder how it copes with trans people.

Easy. They're not real and don't count as far as any lawmakers are concerned, and the advertisers agree.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

EstLladon wrote:What if instead of camera it was actual booth with actual person inside it instructed and paid minimum wage to change the ads according to gender and age of person standing in front of it? It doesn't seem so frightening and privacy intruding.

Edited for slight stupidity.

That's because there's not a visual record. If the guy took a photo of everyone who looked at it, it'd still be invasive.

EstLladon
Beat you to the park. From RUSSIA.

Postby EstLladon » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:34 pm UTC

What if you just count numbers of ad changes and how long particular ads were playing? It would give you a lot of information and has little to do with any privacy. Or the guy in the booth could have photographic memory so he collects the data anyway. This line is very very hard to draw. And "It is ok to collect data but it is bad to analyze it" is in my opinion a pretty ridiculous stance to have.
From Russia with math.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

EstLladon wrote:What if you just count numbers of ad changes and how long particular ads were playing? It would give you a lot of information and has little to do with any privacy. Or the guy in the booth could have photographic memory so he collects the data anyway. This line is very very hard to draw. And "It is ok to collect data but it is bad to analyze it" is in my opinion a pretty ridiculous stance to have.
Good thing he didn't say that, then. It's almost like he said
Jesse wrote:That's because there's not a visual record. If the guy took a photo of everyone who looked at it, it'd still be invasive.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Return to “News & Articles”