Making the world a weirder place

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Luthen

Re: Making the world a weirder place

Postby Luthen » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:10 am UTC

Mercat wrote:I don't know if I found this in this thread or somewhere else, but someone involved here was definitely trying to make the world a more interesting place: http://www.thatcanadiangirl.co.uk/blog/ ... -the-pond/
That's great, next time I make some public structure I'm leaving an eccentric letter in the bottom.

Mercat wrote:
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:I discovered I'd been carrying around a burned CD full of techno I had no use for. So I left it in a DVD bargain bin. :mrgreen: It's got a nice cover on it too, you wouldn't realize it's homemade until you looked at the inside and saw a CD-R. (Not having anything on the back or sides might also give it away.)

I wanted to slip it into the actual CD rack, but there were too many people around.
Ooh, like reverse shoplifting. I like it. (I mean, I like reverse-shoplifting, not shoplifting, heh.)
A fan of white-mailing (threatening to expose mobsters' charity activities), or even breaking and redecorating, and other anticrimes?
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:15 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:I discovered I'd been carrying around a burned CD full of techno I had no use for. So I left it in a DVD bargain bin.

Wow, that's awesome! I'm kind of surprised I hadn't heard of doing anything like this before.
I'm sure there was some mention earlier of leaving CDs inside books and other products where the purchaser won't find it until they get home. That was my original plan, but I didn't get the chance.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:55 am UTC

Luthen wrote:
Mercat wrote:I don't know if I found this in this thread or somewhere else, but someone involved here was definitely trying to make the world a more interesting place: http://www.thatcanadiangirl.co.uk/blog/ ... -the-pond/
That's great, next time I make some public structure I'm leaving an eccentric letter in the bottom.

Mercat wrote:
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:I discovered I'd been carrying around a burned CD full of techno I had no use for. So I left it in a DVD bargain bin. :mrgreen: It's got a nice cover on it too, you wouldn't realize it's homemade until you looked at the inside and saw a CD-R. (Not having anything on the back or sides might also give it away.)

I wanted to slip it into the actual CD rack, but there were too many people around.
Ooh, like reverse shoplifting. I like it. (I mean, I like reverse-shoplifting, not shoplifting, heh.)
A fan of white-mailing (threatening to expose mobsters' charity activities), or even breaking and redecorating, and other anticrimes?

I can't remember what it's called but there's people who graffiti by cleaning. You find a really dirty building and clean off dirt to make your picture.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3379017
Ah google comes through again, it's called Clean or Reverse Graffiti
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:12 am UTC

Senefen wrote:really cool reverse graffiti pictures

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking.

And breaking and redecorating... I've done something similar. In high school a group of friends and I had this "feud" with one of our favorite teachers, and we were able to have someone in the main office open her personal office so we could add our personal touch. ;)
HEEEEAAAAATHUUUUUUUS

If you need to get a hold of me I'd recomment just PMing me, as I come and go in phases, it seems.

semper ubi sub ubi

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:23 am UTC

Senefen wrote:really, really cool reverse graffiti pictures

My mum told me a story once about how there was this huge, dirty bronze statue of a (definitely male) horse and his rider near where she went to uni (college). As a joke some of the students got out the metal polish and went to work on the horse's balls. It was pretty impressive, apparently :mrgreen: - The college ended up having to clean the whole statue.

My dad told me a story about a prank he played when he was at Uni. Apparently there were a bunch of workmen working on the side of the road near where he had his classes, so they rang the police and reported that there were a group of students pretending to be workmen on the side of the road. They then went up to the workmen and told them that there were students going around pretending to be police.

They then stood back and watched the chaos that ensued. :mrgreen:

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:15 am UTC

I love it when weirdness is offical, this is at my uni

Image and back when it lived in the city

Zealot

Postby Zealot » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:53 am UTC

antonfire wrote:I walk around in a skirt sometimes, I'm barefoot most of the time. I'm learning how to skateboard, so I think soon I'll end up looking quite strange.

I absolutely love skateboarding barefoot, it feels great.
I just reminded myself of how much I miss skateboarding. I wish winter would end :(

jessebob

Postby jessebob » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:33 pm UTC

I do my work one person at a time.

It's been a good day when someone says "what the crap dude?" in a non angry way
Huh? Did you say something? I couldn't hear you all the way over here!

There is a monkey in your pyjamas! Be Careful!

jessebob

Postby jessebob » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

cyberia wrote:
Eruantale wrote: You are not a beautiful and weird snowflake;\

Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

Sorry i just had to.
Huh? Did you say something? I couldn't hear you all the way over here!

There is a monkey in your pyjamas! Be Careful!

Impulse97

Postby Impulse97 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:40 pm UTC

I totally agree w/TradaPIB on Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:07 pm UTC. I feel so at hom here, I can be my weird self and be acceppted!
xkcd is my internet home.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dude, everyone likes girls. Have you seen girls? Girls are hot!

The preceding sentence was made with good faith and good humor...

eric the espeon

Postby eric the espeon » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

As part of me trying to do my little bit to make the world more surreal, and to snap people out of the normal I have been leaving copys of the XKCD comic "Dreams" (http://xkcd.com/137/) and "Choices part 4" (http://xkcd.com/267/) in odd and unexpected places for someone to find. I have only recently started but so far I have put one in the following places: up a tree, in my physics teacher's paperwork, stuck in between the planks of a wooden bus shelter, In a photocopyer.

I plan to find much better places in future, probably less accessible, and use this to make myself go to odd places and do things I would not normally do. Like climbing random objects more...

So yea, anyone want to join me? And if you find one and want to get in contact with whoever placed it, write your phone number on it, with a simple code if you don't want others to get it. How about add 3 to each number as a basic one? 0=3, 1=4.. 7=10, 8=11, 9=12

iddqd

Postby iddqd » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:45 pm UTC

One of my friends had a phone number to some girl he didn't really knew or like, so we came up with the idea to send some wierd messages with her. Me and two other guys took up our phones and sent a message saying "Happy happy sailor" three times each. I think that made her world a bit wierder.

One of my other friends is a fucking master of wierd though. I remember one time when we were at the train station, waiting for someone. We were about seven people (all teenagers, 14-18 years old, this was a couple of years ago). We were mostly talking and making a few jokes to make time pass. We weren't loud or anything, but it seems someone had a different opinion. An old man sitting on a bench with his back against the bench that my friend was sitting on turned around, asked us to be quiet and started nagging like hell. Suddenly, out of nowhere, my friend says "Yeeeeaaaaaaah", starting of quiet and getting louder until it echoed in the entire building. Everything got quiet for a couple of seconds and then the old man said "sorry, what did you say?", to which he replied "nah, nothing special". It may not sound funny but it was.

idobox

Postby idobox » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

I've got a gas-mask in my office, and I've also drawn an angry mouth on the paper mask I use when sanding epoxy.

Also, I'm planning on hiding post-its all around my workplace with clues to find the other ones, and some random object at the end of the trail. I'd love to see people wander around the building for days, looking for clues, discussing about theories and such. Or maybe I'll ink that need blacklight to be visible, and write directly on walls and such. If anyone has ideas of what kind of tricks I could use.

Back in college and high-school, I enjoyed making fun of school or teachers in my essays. As long as you do it with respect, most teachers enjoy it. And a great classic was to let the light on in some rooms of the school so that it makes a picture at night.

Edit "I've got a gas-mask", and not "I've got gas mask"
Last edited by idobox on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If there is no answer, there is no question. If there is no solution, there is no problem.

Waffles to space = 100% pure WIN.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

idobox wrote:I've got gas in my office
How I first read it.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

My social group are planning a series of events on campus, like "wear an opera mask to class day" and "wear a balloon hat day" where we will act in all respects like nothing is out of the ordinary. We're also considering starting a flash mob.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

Dooo it!
Masks are always good.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:11 am UTC

DaMullet wrote:My social group are planning a series of events on campus, like "wear an opera mask to class day" and "wear a balloon hat day" where we will act in all respects like nothing is out of the ordinary. We're also considering starting a flash mob.

Some friends and I want to get goth loli outfits and wear them randomly to uni one day, offering no explination. One friend already has one so we went shopping for more but decided they were too expensive. I must say I don't look half bad as a gothloli tho XD

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:22 am UTC

I bought a plastic elephant in the clearance aisle and I'm thinking about leaving him somewhere and getting people to leave messages and pictures about him somehow. Undecided on the particular "how" at the moment though.
HEEEEAAAAATHUUUUUUUS

If you need to get a hold of me I'd recomment just PMing me, as I come and go in phases, it seems.

semper ubi sub ubi

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:11 am UTC

idobox wrote:I've got a gas-mask

I want.

ian

Postby ian » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:59 am UTC

you can get ex-army/surplus gas masks on ebay pretty cheap. the bags they come in are also good for netbooks, as someone else on here pointed out

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:49 pm UTC

http://theplug.net/38/strangerphotos.htm

This is an interesting thing there. N'at.

oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:41 am UTC

DaMullet wrote:http://theplug.net/38/strangerphotos.htm

This is an interesting thing there. N'at.

Wonderful!

I was playing Hangman today, so I used "em" and then "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis".

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:36 am UTC

I had a fun idea. You've heard of girls kissing the bathroom mirror to test their lipstick? Get some fake lips and do it in the men's room. Or if you don't have access to a men's room, you could just put it in like the top corner of the mirror or something, just to make people wonder why you chose such a strange spot.

Even make faces with them. :D
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:41 am UTC

I've finally gotten a small group of people to refer to me solely by the name Frank.
多么现在棕色母牛?

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:43 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:I've finally gotten a small group of people to refer to me solely by the name Frank.

I take it that's not your given name?

oh, look. Burma Shave.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:51 am UTC

My real name is Ben.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:16 am UTC

Mr. Wibbles belongs in this thread!

Original posts in Today I Learned:
I learned that our FIRST robotics team has a new mascot, and his name is Mr. Wibbles.
He is a latex glove filled with water, and lives in a cut-open 2-liter soda bottle. It's a long story, and both Mr Wibbles and his name are my fault.

I learned that the tragic loss of Mr Wibbles affected some members of our FRC robotics team more than others.

Me: "We can fill a new glove with water, right?"
Someone: "....I guess, but still..."

LATER

Someone else: "Mr. Wibbles!"
Me: "Yup."
SE: "Where did you find him?"
Me: "I didn't. You might call this Mr. Wibbles II."
SE: "That's not Mr. Wibbles! That's an imposter!"
Me: *sigh*

His new home is an awesome, shiny 2-liter bottle mounted on a bulletin board. Pics to follow.

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:58 pm UTC

Whoever the guy in the gorilla suit was on the Tube today, I was the small girl reading a 40k novel.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:06 am UTC

Hm, ok. Going to get pizza in the middle of the night, is putting arms out and making airplane noises (or maybe "Poniesponiesponies!") weird in the "don't kidnap that one" way or in the get arrested way? (I am a short female person going out alone). I do not wish to scare people who do not deserve it.

Although,
Orientation tour groups on campus (moderate crowds of highschool seniors being shown the wonders of our college) sort of drive me insane. Sometimes I want to wave my arms at them "booga!booga! booga!" only that seems... not quite good enough. What are some good ways to make them just a little less orientated?

Pit

Postby Pit » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Hm, ok. Going to get pizza in the middle of the night, is putting arms out and making airplane noises (or maybe "Poniesponiesponies!") weird in the "don't kidnap that one" way or in the get arrested way? (I am a short female person going out alone). I do not wish to scare people who do not deserve it.

Although,
Orientation tour groups on campus (moderate crowds of highschool seniors being shown the wonders of our college) sort of drive me insane. Sometimes I want to wave my arms at them "booga!booga! booga!" only that seems... not quite good enough. What are some good ways to make them just a little less orientated?

1) I don't think it's weird in the get arrested way. It's definitely weird in the weird way?

2) You should do cartwheels (if you can) around them. Or pass out something to each of them (if you can). Something odd and totally random (and preferably cheep). Like blank pieces of paper. Or seeds.

---

Sometimes, I wear pieces of my cosplay (anime/gaming costumes) out, just to get a feel of what it would be like wearing it for a prolonged amount of time, since I'll have to wear a costume at a convention for a full day (eating and the likes). That gets a lot of stares, especially if the costume piece is just totally out in the middle of nowhere. It's kinda like.. half Halloween all day.. EVERY DAY! ;D
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:10 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Hm, ok. Going to get pizza in the middle of the night, is putting arms out and making airplane noises (or maybe "Poniesponiesponies!") weird in the "don't kidnap that one" way or in the get arrested way? (I am a short female person going out alone). I do not wish to scare people who do not deserve it.

Although,

If the groups follow a set tour, intercept them at the beginning (wearing a name tag) and hand out small, variously colored pieces of paper. Warn them not to lose them.
Find them at the end, wearing a different set of clothes and a different name tag, and collect the paper. If anyone doesn't have theirs, take their names and write them in a little notebook.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:15 pm UTC

That is a good plan.
Make sure you carry a clip-board, you can't help but look official with a clipboard
Ⓞⓞ◯

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

My eighth grade English and Reading teacher made the world a weird place..and encouraged it.

My parents try to contain my normal desires so that they don't leak out into the public. I don't see how wants plushie diseases is so weird; it's educational and adorable!
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

Cytoplasm wrote:My parents try to contain my normal desires so that they don't leak out into the public. I don't see how wants plushie diseases is so weird; it's educational and adorable!

Those things are awesome!

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Exactly! Also, I really want plushie organs and xkcd merch. My aunt will probably get me clothes or a gift card. Hmm..I have doubts for the xkcd merch. with her (and obviously the biology plushies).

Spoiler:
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:

<3

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:34 am UTC

It's unfortunate that math stuff doesn't lend itself well to plushies. Polyhedra maybe, but that's not really very novel.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

Well..that's when one has to get exceptionally creative! Such as..a really cute plushie Pi..and graphing calculator..maybe a scatterplot.. transfiersomething of a cat..

Spoiler:

Felstaff wrote:

<3

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

A pair of epsilon and delta plushies?
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

A big integration sign that you can hug around your neck and integrate yourself!
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Dimetrodon

Postby Dimetrodon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:59 am UTC

Me and my friends spent some time in Language Arts class a few days ago writing new messages on the back of candy message hearts. Selections include:
Big Brother is Watching You
Beware
Nobody Loves You
Death
2+2=5
Don't Blink (Anyone get it?)
Plenty more besides. Anyways, two of the people carried them off in boxes to either give to people, or scatter around the school. This spawned a small, secretive organization devoted to making the world (or school, at least) a weirder place. Our next order of business will be to put up posters for the various clubs around the school. This could be fun.
Spoiler:

Fear my mammalian skull, my efficient heat-regulating sail, and my two rows of teeth.

Return to “General”