John Cage's 4'33"

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Benji

John Cage's 4'33"

Postby Benji » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

Hello all,

I was inspired by a recent blag post by Randall about this amazing three movement composition. I decided to create a video of me performing it. This is my first recorded performance, as I just picked up the cello, my first instrument, about a month ago. But I think after many hours of practice I am up to the task of playing such a well respected and innovative composition.

Please, tell me what you think. And, do me a favor, use audio preview first :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMhQSwxbJTE

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: John Cage's 4'33"

Postby Felstaff » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:11 pm UTC

I love how you managed to juxtapose the effective use of timbre, whilst still allowing for the minutiae to make themselves heard. Tell me, what grade cellist must I become to perfect it? I applied for an orchestra but they recommended going to mime school first.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:13 pm UTC

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:40 pm UTC

armandtanzarian wrote:.

mvmt 2
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:58 pm UTC

Hey, if you guys are part of the audience for all intents and purposes then any noise you happen to make is part of the performance. We totally don't have to quote nothingness to one another.

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:40 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:Hey, if you guys are part of the audience for all intents and purposes then any noise you happen to make is part of the performance. We totally don't have to quote nothingness to one another.

Why can't nothingness be part of the performance? Surely you can't discount rests in music.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:10 am UTC

4'33" is nice and all but I prefer the wonderful piece of music that is Stockhausen's Helicopter String Quartet.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:06 am UTC

armandtanzarian wrote:
Clumpy wrote:Hey, if you guys are part of the audience for all intents and purposes then any noise you happen to make is part of the performance. We totally don't have to quote nothingness to one another.

Why can't nothingness be part of the performance? Surely you can't discount rests in music.

Nothingness is just as valid as a cough or a candy wrapper, that's my point.

Sanctuary1

Postby Sanctuary1 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

I laughed, I cried, I watched a man stare at a piece of paper.

Bravo.
I can most accurately describe Death From Above 1979's genre as "Heavy Indie Alternative Progressive Punkcore Dance Funk Metal"

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:02 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:
armandtanzarian wrote:

I see 4'33'' as a piece that works in two levels. First is the statement that music isn't absolute or rigorous at all, and even something as strictly defined as a note rest lasting 4 minutes and 33 seconds is essentially random, because the surrounding noise eventually becomes the music. The line between "sound" and "noise" is so blurred that even "silence" becomes "noise", thus the three become pretty much the same thing. The second level, however, and the one I find most interesting, is that something as apparently stupid as an orchestra sitting still for four minutes and thirty-three seconds IS a musical performance, under pretty much every definition of "music" people intuitively accept. Even if most people would firstly call it "not music", there's no imaginable way to sustain the argument that it is not music. It simply is. Silence itself is music. It's freaky, complicated, yet absolutely simple.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:16 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
Clumpy wrote:
armandtanzarian wrote:

I see 4'33'' as a piece that works in two levels. First is the statement that music isn't absolute or rigorous at all, and even something as strictly defined as a note rest lasting 4 minutes and 33 seconds is essentially random, because the surrounding noise eventually becomes the music. The line between "sound" and "noise" is so blurred that even "silence" becomes "noise", thus the three become pretty much the same thing. The second level, however, and the one I find most interesting, is that something as apparently stupid as an orchestra sitting still for four minutes and thirty-three seconds IS a musical performance, under pretty much every definition of "music" people intuitively accept. Even if most people would firstly call it "not music", there's no imaginable way to sustain the argument that it is not music. It simply is. Silence itself is music. It's freaky, complicated, yet absolutely simple.

Exactly. And training yourself to be able to enjoy, musically, a period of silence, is quite a mark of sensitivity and maturity. Yet we get mad at The White Stripes when they play one note and call it a "concert."

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:08 am UTC

the_stabbage wrote:4'33" is nice and all but I prefer the wonderful piece of music that is Stockhausen's Helicopter String Quartet.

Stockhausen was both a genius and a madman with that one. For anyone not aware of this piece: it requires that musicians leave the auditorium, get in four separate helicopters which take off and circle the auditorium, and then play the piece in midair with the rotors' noise blending in as part of the music. I am not making this up.

And for 4'33" itself, I agree with SirMustapha as well. One of my former music professors refuses to go to any recital with it on the program, though.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:18 am UTC

Durinthal wrote:
the_stabbage wrote:4'33" is nice and all but I prefer the wonderful piece of music that is Stockhausen's Helicopter String Quartet.

Stockhausen was both a genius and a madman with that one. For anyone not aware of this piece: it requires that musicians leave the auditorium, get in four separate helicopters which take off and circle the auditorium, and then play the piece in midair with the rotors' noise blending in as part of the music. I am not making this up.
See also, YouTube
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Wardial3r

Postby Wardial3r » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:15 pm UTC

This piece is the most pretentious thing ever thought up. Ever.
17/M/CA

Zing Pop.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

Wardial3r wrote:This piece is the most pretentious thing ever thought up. Ever.

No, it's about making the audience aware of the musical nature of the ambient sound that surrounds them. I don't think that's very pretentious.

It is, however, often misunderstood. I also don't think it's very representative of Cage's music, since it does seem much more gimmicky than everything else he ever wrote.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:24 pm UTC

I've always been quite partial to his prepared piano pieces.

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:17 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I've always been quite partial to his prepared piano pieces.

his prepared piano pieces are much better than 4'33, in my opinion.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:41 am UTC

am I the only one who is puzzled why the video is one minute and 23 seconds too long?
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:46 am UTC

The pianist improvises a bit in the middle.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

Well, one of the editions of the score says that the piece can be performed by any number of people for any length of time, and that 4'33" was just the original timing. Others disagree.

(Also, in one of those terrific coincidences in music history, 4'33" translates to 273 seconds, approximately the Kelvin measure of 0 degrees Celsius.)

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:42 pm UTC

Masily box wrote:Well, one of the editions of the score says that the piece can be performed by any number of people for any length of time, and that 4'33" was just the original timing. Others disagree.

You mean this?
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:54 am UTC

Yep, that looks like it. Peters No. 6777. I've got a shirt that has the cover on the front and the Tacet page on the back.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

Sir, this is brilliant.

A former violin teacher of mine once told me about her string quartet performing 4'33" to a group of puzzled college students, but otherwise I have never witnessed a real performance of this groundbreaking piece in gimmickry. Thank you for providing the internet with your masterful contribution. :)
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

It's not gimmickery. Cage was a well-established composer before he wrote the piece, and he didn't write it to gain notoriety; it's a natural product of some of his speculations on the nature of music. If you listen to other pieces of music written by him, you'll find that he actually was a fairly decent composer.

To take an example more or less at random: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsz-Mr59P6c

someguy

Postby someguy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

*cough*

*fart*
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

Benji

Postby Benji » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:04 am UTC

Indeed.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:43 am UTC

but seriously 4'33" is the most pretentious thing anyone can think of ever

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:27 am UTC

aaron wrote:seriously
aaron wrote:the most pretentious thing anyone can think of ever

These two don't really go together, do they?

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:37 am UTC

Do you have a lefthanded cello or is the video reversed?

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

aaron wrote:but seriously 4'33" is the most pretentious thing anyone can think of ever

Art in itself is pretentious. The problem is not that, but if you have the chops to justify it. Cage did.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:36 am UTC

Not to mention that in order for the music itself to be pretentious, it would have to in some way profess itself as better than other, less intellectually rigourous pieces. As it is, the music just sits there doing nothing (BA-dum-tsch) and it is up to its interpreters to have it be pretentious or not.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

Outchanter wrote:Do you have a lefthanded cello or is the video reversed?

video reversed, all instruments (except drums and guitar) are the same for lefties and righties.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

porcupine

Postby porcupine » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:33 am UTC

I liked his prepared piano pieces on youtube, so after a little searching I found Fred Frith's solo material. Here is a good example. It is like John Cage's stuff, only on a guitar and a lot more dissonant.

Return to “Music”