18%
Otter, and I identify primarily as a duck
19%

Total votes: 90

Matterwave1

Re: Gauss v Euler

Postby Matterwave1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:32 am UTC

ieattime20 wrote:
Matterwave1 wrote:Newton basically destroyed Leibniz because he kept insisting that he discovered calculus first. So, iono how swell of a guy Newton really was. XD

This may be one of the snags ^^ was talking about. From what I read, the accusations of plagiarism spewed mostly from their 'followers' and the two remained terse and civil throughout Newton's life. In any case, though dying in a shitty way, Liebniz got the last laugh by letting the Continent leave the UK behind in mathematics almost 100 years.

Yes...many prestigious people wrote on behalf of Newton and how he was superior to Leibniz...but I think Newton penned much of that himself. :P

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

He had such a great sense of humor too. When he spoke of "standing on the shoulders of giants" he was really poking fun at his rival, Robert Hooke, who was unusually short :)
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

stephentyrone

Postby stephentyrone » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

doogly wrote:Kronecker loses on account of "What good your beautiful proof on [the transcendence of] π? Why investigate such problems, given that irrational numbers do not even exist?" This is a silly thing to say.

I don't think that Kronecker wins, but the evidence that Kronecker ever actually said such a thing is slim at best (a single letter written some 20 years after he allegedly said it, iirc).
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:19 am UTC

ieattime20 wrote: Actually I'm reading a very very well written book called Men of Mathematics that's a' goin' through all these folk.

If you are referring to the book by Eric Temple Bell, then as others have said, take what you read there with a grain of salt. It's wonderfully inspirational and romantic (in the old sense of the term), but it should not be considered to be an accurate source of biographical information. Learning mathematics history from Bell's Men of Mathematics is a bit like learning American history by watching John Wayne movies. :)

There are some good sites online with biographies of mathematicians.The mathematician Morris Kline wrote some excellent maths history; we have some of his books in our local library, and some are also available on Google Books.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:50 pm UTC

http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/
A fantastic math biography resource.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Klotz

Postby Klotz » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:Gauss for quality, Euler for quantity. But I'm also a big Ramanujan fan. Galois died too young; those French cigarettes are pretty strong.... :)

So are those French bullets.

t0rajir0u

Postby t0rajir0u » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

Ah, but isn't it really because of those French women?

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:49 am UTC

3.14159265... wrote:These two sum up my view on the subject:

stockford wrote:I always preferred Euler because he's got this player look about him, all blind and shit but entertaining grandchildren whilst working on some math. "Yeah, whatever, don't care, at least now I have less distractions."

Gauss is more of a reserved type, "ripe but few", with that grumpy, smug old man stare. "I'm sorry as beautiful as your son's contributions are, I have entertained the same thoughts for 20 or so years and to praise it would be tantamoun-"

Gauss shut up you pussy, just 'cause you don't have the balls to drop that knowledge on people, even if your achievements are probably greater than Euler's. Euler will smack you with his pimp cane

Pathway wrote:You know, I can definitely see picking Euler over Gauss. You just have to have never heard of Gauss.

If we are thinking of all time greats, let us not forget Archimedes, Brahmagupta, Khayyam and the like.

I really don't think the field of mathematicians has a well defined norm.

I'd like to see your proof it's a field, actually.

:wink:
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:58 am UTC

t0rajir0u wrote:Ah, but isn't it really because of those French women?

But of Corse!

Actually, IIRC, it seems likely that the accusations made against Galois were fabricated, but he still felt impelled to defend his honour. C'est la vie.

Klotz wrote:
PM 2Ring wrote:Galois died too young; those French cigarettes are pretty strong.... :)

So are those French bullets.

French women, cigarettes, and bullets. They all go together, n'est-ce pas?

:D

Return to “Mathematics”