Stem cells to grow bigger breasts

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Altercator

Stem cells to grow bigger breasts

Postby Altercator » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

A STEM cell therapy offering “natural” breast enlargement is to be made available to British women for the first time.

The treatment could boost cup size while reducing stomach fat. It involves extracting stem cells from spare fat on the stomach or thighs and growing them in a woman’s breasts. An increase of one cup size is likely, with the potential for larger gains as the technique improves.

Further proof that science truly cares

wst

Re: Stem cells to grow bigger breasts

Postby wst » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

My jaw dropped and did not move back up.

I'm surprised they didn't think to put them in Penii as well... not that I need it :P
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

I don't want a fat penis.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

Ugh. Who cares?
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

The media? Plastic surgeons? Insecure people? People who want larger breasts without the unnatural appearance common with silicon/saline?

Nah, no one. :wink:
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

I mean, why are big breasts so important to society? I'm tired of people getting procedures done that only serves to alienate them from their true beauty. (Okay, I admit that sounds really cheesy, but it drives me up the wall.)

wst

Postby wst » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

It *will* be quite difficult for them to actually make them not look like beachballs, again...
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

TheStranger

Postby TheStranger » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

Well that is one sure way to get the ban on research lifted... though if it could be shown to increase the size of a man's man... the ban would be lifted and millions in federal dollars would be poured in.
"To bow before the pressure of the ignorant is weakness."
Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon

Osha

Postby Osha » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

Chfan wrote:I mean, why are big breasts so important to society? I'm tired of people getting procedures done that only serves to alienate them from their true beauty. (Okay, I admit that sounds really cheesy, but it drives me up the wall.)
For one thing, It might be important for women who have had cancerous lumps taken out of their breast. Anyway, it's their decision and their money so I say why the heck not?

And someone please remind me why I always read the comments on articles when they invariably contain gems such as this:
Sounds great, where can I get the wife signed up?
*sigh*

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

Osha wrote:And someone please remind me why I always read the comments on articles when they invariably contain gems such as this:
*sigh*

Because you, Osha, are a masochist.

Or you're like me, and expect intelligent debate from what appears to be an internet full of drunk teenagers.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

Osha wrote:And someone please remind me why I always read the comments on articles when they invariably contain gems such as this:
*sigh*

It's your misplaced faith in the good of humanity.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:24 am UTC

I can understand it being used for medical purposes, but most cases will be simply because they've been pressured by a still very male-centric culture to look the best they possibly, physically can without a thought of what actually matters.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:44 am UTC

If they don't feel pressured, who cares? It's like protecting someone from something they don't want to be protected from. Bugger off and let them do what they want with themselves.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:48 am UTC

That's not what I mean- I mean that society does cultivate an air of pressure for this sort of thing, somewhat indirectly.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:22 am UTC

Chfan wrote:I can understand it being used for medical purposes, but most cases will be simply because they've been pressured by a still very male-centric culture to look the best they possibly, physically can without a thought of what actually matters.

That is definitely the dark side of it.

The bright side is another step towards people being able to customize their bodies through their own agency.

I am pretty okay with that.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:32 am UTC

I suppose, but still, with the ability to make yourself look perfect those who choose not to will...well, Gattaca. That's really all I can contribute.

Delass

Postby Delass » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:44 am UTC

Im Ok with it. If people want to change them, thats what they want to do, and i have no right or business to encourage or discourage it. Its just like a haircut, tattoo, piercing, or clothing choice. Why should I even care? Its not like this could cause any serious danger.

As for looking perfect, the perfect breast size is subjective, so I don't see how thats possible.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:51 am UTC

This will only make mune pettan girls even more amazingly awesome.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:17 am UTC

TheStranger wrote:Though if it could be shown to increase the size of a man's man... the ban would be stripped and millions in federal dollars would be thrusted in.

fixed.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

I can't believe I'm going there but....

Any chance of this being merged with this research?
Stem cells from testes
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:52 am UTC

wst wrote:My jaw dropped and did not move back up.

I'm surprised they didn't think to put them in Penii as well... not that I need it :P
You will though if everyone else gets it. Being 8 inches just wouldn't be as cool when it's suddenly below average.

Chfan wrote:I mean, why are big breasts so important to society? I'm tired of people getting procedures done that only serves to alienate them from their true beauty. (Okay, I admit that sounds really cheesy, but it drives me up the wall.)
Agreed. Proportional breasts FTW. Beach balls on a flagpole aren't sexy. >_>

I like the idea though, for two reasons:
1) "Stem cells can be used to give people bigger boobs" might help to change the minds of people who think it's pure evil.
2) Body customization is fucking cool. I'd love to be able to "create a player" in real life.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:15 am UTC

I just got back from a conference of the British Microcirculaiton Society on progenitor (stem) cells, and the keynote speaker gave a great talk in which he held up a British newspaper reporting this story, saying, "this came out this morning; I didn't have time to make a slide..." and then he read us the funny parts. But as for the research, everyone was pretty much like, "uugh, pathetic scientists are pathetic."

Edit: almost forgot. While at the conference, I ate some cherry taffy.
Last edited by lesliesage on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:24 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:1) "Stem cells can be used to give people bigger boobs" might help to change the minds of people who think it's pure evil.
I am not sure how this will supposedly happen - if I'm not mistaken the objection to stem cells research is mostly that they are taken from grown embryos, thus potentially creating and destroying life at will. So how will using that (possible) life for cosmetic gain change someone like that's mind?

For the record, I am not against stem cell research as a concept (if we can find a viable more ethical way of getting them), and good luck to people who can be happier as a result.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:40 am UTC

1) Stem cells can also be derived from adults, e.g. from bone marrow. Adult and embryonic stem cells have different strengths and weaknesses as potential therapeutics.
2) First of all, embryos are not currently created for the sake of research. They use leftovers from IVF that are going in the trash anyway, which is why the research community is kind of baffled by the objection to stem cells but not IVF, if you really have moral concerns for lumps of cells while the world teems with creatures (like kittens!) capable of suffering. IVF creates babies. Research saves/improves lives. Seems like a win-win to the people who do not consider an embryo to be a living human; n.b. you can't freeze a human and thaw it out later.
Last edited by lesliesage on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:53 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:49 am UTC

I really don't see why you need bring the debate of whether an embryo is a life up here. I was quite careful to try and make my point without going there. See qualifiers like "potential" and "possibly". I was mostly stating that those concerns and viewpoints do exist, and communicating my genuine lack of understanding why such concerns, for those who might hold them, would in Drop Database's opinion somehow be changed by using them for breast augmentation.

However foreseeing people might read it as me objecting to the concept described in the article I stated my position. In hypotheticals.

EDIT: Nice edit after my post, but I maintain that the ethics lecture is uncalled for.
Last edited by Moo on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:07 am UTC

I noted your hypotheticals, and I wasn't yelling at you, but if you're going to bring up the morality of stem cell research, I think I'm allowed to respond with information and editorial. To talk about "destroying life at will," potentially or otherwise, and the ethics of acquiring embryos (the details of which you had patently wrong) seems like you wanted to talk about it, because obviously Database was kidding. "Har har, saving lives isn't as worthwhile as big boobs..." And you took him seriously by playing devil's advocate for the dethklok objections.

Edit: You're going to get banned if you don't follow the rules. http://echochamber.me/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37304

Eh, you shouldn't post before I get the chance to edit. Also, "called for?" What is "called for?" Find me a post that is "called for." This is "have an opinion" world. Not "avoid giving Moo excess information" world. I'm all about ethics lectures. If you're not opposed to stem cells, then I'm obviously not talking to you, and you can feel free to ignore it.

AND another thing. Using stem cells for boobs is about ethics. It's about talented minds and limited dollars going toward boob fetishes and profits instead of therapeutic research, and it disgusts me. This is the ethical problem.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

lesliesage wrote:Using stem cells for boobs is about ethics. It's about talented minds and limited dollars going toward boob fetishes and profits instead of therapeutic research, and it disgusts me. This is the ethical problem.

Unfortunately it's often the case that devoting resources to frivilous things is the only way to get the funding for important things. Creating safer implants for the flat-chested rich may be distasteful but things like that may be the only way for stem cell research to really advance.

Indon

Postby Indon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:22 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:1) "Stem cells can be used to give people bigger boobs" might help to change the minds of people who think it's pure evil.

I agree, if by 'change the minds of' you mean 'distract with breasts'.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:19 am UTC

Moo wrote:
I am not sure how this will supposedly happen - if I'm not mistaken the objection to stem cells research is mostly that they are taken from grown embryos, thus potentially creating and destroying life at will. So how will using that (possible) life for cosmetic gain change someone like that's mind?

For the record, I am not against stem cell research as a concept (if we can find a viable more ethical way of getting them), and good luck to people who can be happier as a result.
People are stupid. "Hurr, big boobs = good."
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

MrGee

Postby MrGee » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:37 am UTC

JBJ wrote:I can't believe I'm going there but....

Any chance of this being merged with this research?
Stem cells from testes

You mean chesticles? Is the world truly ready?

Return to “News & Articles”