How did you start liking music?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SkaBassist

How did you start liking music?

Postby SkaBassist » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:18 am UTC

This is mainly directed at my fellow rabid music fans, but everyone is welcome.
It seems to me that there are many ways to "get into" music. Some people like music from birth, perhaps with influence from their parents. Others catch on later. Still others are shown music by people. So how did you first start liking music?

I had... humble origins, myself. I started liking Linkin Park and Story of the Year in 7th grade. That got me curious about music, and that very year I discovered Cake and Reel Big Fish. I bought Comfort Eagle, Turn the Radio Off, and Green Day's Dookie, and that was that.

mickyj300x

Re: How did you start liking music?

Postby mickyj300x » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:08 am UTC

Both my parents listened to music since my conception, and they didn't stop ever. So I just grew into it. One of the major things, though, was taking up piano at age 7.

Julien

Postby Julien » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:41 am UTC

When I was born, my parents played Al Stewart's 'Year of the Cat' album all the time, and it shaped my taste of music forever. In fact, I never stopped listening to music. It has always been important in my life.
Do not conquer. Do not fight back. Do not give up.
(One cookie for each person who recognizes the guy on my avatar. And no, it's not me. Clue : he's not a former american president.)

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

My family always had a, um, pretty questionable taste for music. I only started listening to real stuff by accident, when my sister casually brought home the Queen's classic Greatest Hits album and I unwittingly listened to it, without even imagining how much it would blow my mind. From there, slowly, gradually made my way towards the surface and started finally breathing the fresh, sweet air of good music, almost entirely on my own, somehow.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:41 pm UTC

I was a part of the junkmachine forums back before the site was sold, and a bunch of the posters there were punk aficionados. The rest, as they say, is history.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

Music was always a big part of my life in one way or another. I was born in 82 and my mother hated 80s music--so we listened to oldies radio for my formative years (I'm actually really glad now that it happened that way because I grew up on some very fantastic music).

I didn't really start pursuing music on my own until highschool. I went back and found the 80s I had missed, sampled the music of my contemporaries--tried out rock and punk for a while. I've learned to appreciate lots of different sorts of music, though I'll always have nostalgia for the music I grew up with that was recorded decades before I was even thought of.
Rice Puddin.

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:05 pm UTC

Music has always seemed like something natural to listen to and enjoy. I didn't really start actively searching out bands and artists I liked until like 6-7th grade.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

I've always been interested in music in the same way I've always been interested in being creative. But it wasn't until I think around seventh/eighth grade (13-14 years), when we got a really inspiring music teacher, that me and pretty much all my friends got into music for real. I bought an electric guitar and started writing (really crappy and immature) songs. I still basically only listened to Placebo, and got into the Pixies and the Butthole Surfers a while later, but I couldn't really tell good music from bad. I only listened to what I thought was "my style".

Then I got into a music program in high school, and that's when I started listening to different kinds of music. I used to be really prejudiced about which genres were good and which were bad, but that has gradually gone away since then. First I got into indie pop, to the extent that it's probably what I listen to the most these days, and then eventually I just stopped caring about what genre the music I'm listening to belongs to.

So that's pretty much it. I'd say the one album that really changed my sense of what music is was Black Foliage by The Olivia Tremor Control (which incidentally is exactly ten years old today!). I think that album should be mandatory listening for everyone.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:54 am UTC

I grew up on my parents' eclectic collection of music ranging from cheesy 80s pop to classical to japanese and siberian traditional music to techno / ambient and Pogues and Dubliners and RHCP and Doors and Deep Purple.

I ended up with an interesting taste in music to say the least.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

I tend to lump my friends into the following categories:

1. People who I would trust to choose the playlist for a roadtrip.
2. People who I would not trust to choose the playlist for a roadtrip.
3. People who I would not go on a roadtrip with. *

*There are some people I absolutely adore that I cannot stay in a confined space with for various reasons.
Rice Puddin.

Terebrant

Postby Terebrant » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

Like Smiling Hobo, it was something that seemed natural to listen and enjoy, everyone in the nuclear family knows how to play at least one instrument.

However, I started really liking music and learning about it formally soon after Lemmings came out.

Phill

Postby Phill » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:07 am UTC

It was a bit unusual with me. I started out listening to my parents records when I was quite young, that was mostly 50s and 60s music with a bit of 70s and 80s thrown in for good measure. All pop and rock n roll kind of music.

Then I started listening to the radio, to some random stuff...

I don't know, it just sort of happened organically really. There was never a time I didn't like music. I guess the biggest influence on me was going away to university and seeing what kind of music my friends listened to, opened up my musical horizons a bit :)

Rachel!

Postby Rachel! » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:14 am UTC

My mom made me took piano lessons in 3rd grade, which I hated. But when I saw the middle school jazz band perform at my 5th grade graduation, I just had to play the saxophone. There was no way around it. And I did, and I ended up president of the band my senior year in high school =)

ahhhhh good times.

As far as listening to music goes, I very distinctly remember getting my first cd player in 6th? grade, and a new Mariah Carey cd. God damn I loved that cd. I always knew the sound of Journey and Chicago and Boston and Rush because my dad was a classic rock nut, but I didn't really get into music on my own until I got that cd player.

tentacleTherapist

Postby tentacleTherapist » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

I never really liked music until I was about 13 - there were few bands that I liked and they were all on the radio. Music was just background noise to me. But then one day from school, my mum was tidying upstairs and she was playing Talk on Corners by The Corrs on a wee CD player she had taken up to my room. Basically, This song got stuck in my head, so I kidnapped the CD and played it repeat one squillion times until I bought my own CD instead of freeloading. It was OK Computer that sealed the deal, though.
Tumblr-ma-doodle
Spoiler:
You will see my shadow
On every wall

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

I can remember exactly how it started. The first album I listened to religiously was Stadium Arcadium, and from there I moved on to all sorts of kinds of rock. I haven't ever liked a band that released a new album while I liked them, weirdly enough. Since then (which was about 3(?) years ago) I've loved music. I start to die a little inside if I don't listen to some good music during a day.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." Neutral Milk Hotel

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:08 pm UTC

For a while all I listened to was whatever was on the radio and what I thought sounded nice Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco, and the like. Then my freind told me in like 7th grade, that I had to start listening to "real" music and got me into Metallica and System of a Down. After that I just kinda started exploring genres and musicians.
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

Timeline:
birth --> big mountain + bob marley + james taylor (what my parents listened to) --> assorted classic rock radio stations --> black sabbath + iron maiden (on recommendation by some friends in 6th grade) --> starting to visit internet forums --> power metal (yeah... gotta love middle school) --> haste the day + metalcore --> cousin showing me the song 9mm & a three piece suit --> catch 22 + reel big fish + thrice (thrice from a music video on fuse) --> discovering punknews.org --> streetlight manifesto + rise against --> the gaslight anthem + hot water music + against me! --> defiance, ohio + andrew jackson jihad --> my current mix of ska, punk, folk-punk, metal, and other assorted things.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

Apart from music inherited from parents (which includes New Model Army [favourite band of all time], Chumbawamba, Hawkwind, Gong, Orbital and Motorhead- not a bad selection), the first time I "discovered" music was on a bus journey to Birmingham about 10 years ago. A friend had a tape with Black Sabbath's début on one side and Ozzy's "The Ultimate Sin" on the other and I listened to it about 4 times over.
Is this a wok that you've shoved down my throat, or are you just pleased to see me?

frogman

Postby frogman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:39 am UTC

I grew up listening to an alternative rock station, and that's where most of my favorite music came from. And then my mom got me a They Might Be Giants CD from the library and that's when I really started listening to music all the time.
yeah yeah yeah

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:33 am UTC

My brother has a CD legion. It was impossible to grow up in the same house as him without acquiring an appreciation for music, especially 60's-80's, as he was obsessed with that era.

Then my friends got me hooked on the alternative stuff.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

Lithium33 wrote:I can remember exactly how it started. The first album I listened to religiously was Stadium Arcadium, and from there I moved on to all sorts of kinds of rock. I haven't ever liked a band that released a new album while I liked them, weirdly enough. Since then (which was about 3(?) years ago) I've loved music. I start to die a little inside if I don't listen to some good music during a day.

people are saying that stadium arcadium was the first album they listened to religiously? i feel old :/

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:41 pm UTC

The first album that I independently liked was By the Way, which I still really love. Actually I rememebr I was in fifth grade I think, and I watched the "Can't Stop" music video on what I think was Fuse (maybe? either way it's not around any more) and became addicted to it. I listened to that song all the time, and then after that I got into all of RHCP's stuff.

Then after that my brother introduced to a lot of stuff with his cds. One vacation I was on I instantly becamed addicted to Catch 22, continually listening to Keasbey Nights and Dinosaur Sounds (which a lot of people seem hate, I still like it) and I guess that really influenced a lot of the music I listen to now. Recently I mostly get suggestions for new bands from friends and the AV Club has really good reviews and recomendations.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:47 am UTC

The word "start" in this question confuses me.

I have a sister who's five years older than I am, and from when she was in grade school, she pretty much insisted that listening to the radio and knowing who did what song was the coolest thing ever. I followed suit from about the age of four or five, as I looked up to her at that point.

Doesn't hurt that we had a flipping awesome local radio station. I really miss that station.

Anyhow. Hooked really early, getting cassettes of my own from the age of about seven (not many, but yes, I was spoiled), completely wore out my first cassette within maybe a year of that. Pretty much been a music junkie at all points within memory.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Chobbes

Postby Chobbes » Sun May 03, 2009 4:18 am UTC

My grandfather took me to school when I was young and the car always had mixtapes with the Carpenters, Orbison, and all that good stuff.

Then when I was 18 I started on Japanese music and it went from Utada Hikaru > My Brilliant Green > Judy and Mary > Shiina Ringo

Shiina Ringo really expanded what my palate and that somehow led me into indie music. I don't limit myself to indie labels, I just find that most of the music I listen to fall into that category.

I love where I'm at with music right now...if that means anything to anyone.
The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Sun May 03, 2009 7:12 am UTC

I don't recall everything clearly, but I grew up listening to my parents music. Most of the music they liked I detest (primarily glam metal), but there were a few things they introduced me to I still enjoy (Most notably The Stone Roses, a lot of classic rock, and a few miscellaneous artists). I got into music on my own circa... 2000. I was very fond of alt-rock, a good deal of grunge, and a few 'modern rock' artists through out the next few years. Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Bush, Collective Soul, and finally A Perfect Circle. APC introduced me to Tool, which is still one of my favorite bands. A few years later, I met a friend who strongly influenced my tastes. He introduced me to Porcupine Tree, who in turn led me to Opeth. At this point, the internet assisted my musical exploration, which brought me where I am today.

Munzapoppa

Postby Munzapoppa » Sun May 03, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

I've always liked music to some extent, but I started listening to good music around 5th grade when I discovered Green Day (American Idiot, to be specific). For a while, they were all I listened to (They're still my favorite band), but last year I really started listening to a variety of artists. I'm a little ashamed of this, but one my main inspirations to start listening to other bands was Guitar Hero 2, which I had gotten for Christmas the previous year. However, I think a lot of my favorite bands, such as The Offspring, Disturbed, The Ramones, and Dead Kennedys (to name a few) I found from other sources. Right now I'm mostly into punk/hard rock from the 90s through to the present, but I'm starting to listen to listen to more stuff from different genres/decades/bands.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sun May 03, 2009 2:30 pm UTC

Well, when I was a little kid, my mom used to play Queen's greatest Hits in our car on the way to kindergarten. I forgot about it for a while and started listening to backstreet boys and n'sync (once I won a free CD in a coke can and got the album Millenium by the former instead of the Phantom Menace soundtrack).

After a while I rediscovered Queen and became pretty obsessed with them, but only their -mostly- horrible pop side. Later, my dad showed me the Beatles about when I started playing guitar, so obviously I learned every song I could. That year I think (8th grade), my cousin showed me Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Yes, which I liked but wasn't really crazy about.

I think I REALLY started liking music when I discovered prog rock and "calssical" music. And now I'm studying composition at the conservatoire xd
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Ran4

Postby Ran4 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm UTC

Music class, 8th grade. My teacher spent about five 70-minute lessons on five different "music styles". The third (?) one was rock music. An hour of classical rock, most of which I remembered from radio stations back in the 90s gave me the inspiration needed. After creating a forum thread asking about classical (hard) rock ("but not satanic stuff" :roll:) and spending some time on p2p networks, I found a lot of great bands. One of them was Black Sabbath, which quickly became my favorite band (and I suppose have been ever since). But I'm not THAT into music, I'll rather watch tv series or code than "just" listening to music. Only listening to music, without even reading the lyrics at the same time, quickly makes me ultra-bored.

zeruslord

Postby zeruslord » Mon May 11, 2009 1:43 am UTC

I always listened to Springsteen (Born to Run), the Eagles (Desperado, Hotel California), David Bowie(Ziggie Stardust), and a smattering of other stuff. In middle school, I got into Green Day and Linkin Park. Around freshman year of high school, I started getting into metal with Metallica and Atreyu, and later my parents decided I needed to love old music, and gave me a huge pile of CDs from the 70's and 80's. Out of the half dozen or so, I only listen to Dire Straits and Chicago.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon May 11, 2009 1:57 am UTC

When I was little, I actually disliked music. I didn't see how it was particularly interesting to listen to.
In middle school I started listening to a lot of classic rock. Kansas, Journey, Supertramp, etc. The first more modern band I branched out to from there was Creed. After that, Dream Theater, and for a while I would only listen to music that fit my definition of "progressive." This got me to The Mars Volta, Pain of Salvation and Opeth, who opened me up to heavier metal, Agalloch especially. For a while metal was the majority of what I listened to, but from there I started branching out again into lighter music and also more experimental music. I can't really stand to listen to Dream Theater anymore (and definitely not Creed), but they were very important stepping stones for me, musically.

Velict

Postby Velict » Mon May 11, 2009 2:16 am UTC

A friend of mine introduced me to Linkin Park in the fifth grade (2001-2002). I started to listening to a lot of modern and 90's rock, and eventually worked my way to the odd mix of music I listen to now. The earliest bands I started listening to on my own were The Offspring (Smash) and the Foo Fighters (One by One). The Foo Fighters led to me listen to a lot of older bands; largely, I think, because modern music is piss poor terrible on the whole.

Return to “Music”