Awesome bands that nobody's heard of

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

porcupine

Re: Awesome bands that nobody's heard of

Postby porcupine » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:28 am UTC

Here are three bands that are fairly obscure( i've never met anyone IRL that has eard of any of them) that I like:
Yezda Urfa - a prog rock band from the US in the 70s. The best way to describe their music is a combination of Yes and Gentle Giant.
Magma is, to put it bluntly, unique. The best way to learn about Zeuhl(the name that for the type of music Magma plays) is to just listen to it and see if you like it.
Van der Graaf Generator is an amazing band. IMO they are the best Eclectic Prog rock band next to King Crimson. The atmosphere of the music is usually dark, and the lyrics and vocals are beyond comparison. The music is beautiful, I especially like the saxophone.

Someguy1332

Postby Someguy1332 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:45 am UTC

I've kinda only read the last page of this thread because I'm lazy like that, but I suppose I have a few contributions:

Miasma & the Carousel of Headless Horses: excellent instrumental band that uses all sorts of wacky instruments. Their only album is up on last.fm, go check it out.

Estradasphere: Jazz + metal = fun for all parties involved.

I'll probably think of more later.
There aren't enough positive adjectives to describe how wonderful I am.
http://www.last.fm/user/Someguy1332

nOen

Postby nOen » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

The Low Frequency In Stereo, norwegian post-rock. They're awesome.

uknowurright9

Postby uknowurright9 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:39 am UTC

Mellow Howard - local band in Providence, RI (i know them personally but i would like them if had somehow heard of them through other people) kick ass piano player, awesome vocalist, and solid bass player; no drums or guitar! its an awesome sound and i guarantee youll be impressed (look them up on myspace for recordings, theyre on facebook too)
Biffy Clyro - 3-piece band from Scotland where all 3 sing as well as play their instruments, somewhat known but not as popular as they should be
Manchester Orchestra - interesting band with a great debut album, have yet to hear their new album though
Blue Cheer- were around a really long time ago and did an awesome cover of summertime blues, could be called the first "grunge" sounding band ever
Zox - local band from Providence, RI that was signed to a major label and began getting national attention a few years ago but still largely unknown
The Wipers - unless you know a lot about good music or you somehow heard someone mention them as an influence you havent heard of them; you need to change that and listen to them... NOW... or at least before you die... because theyre awesome...
The Flecktones - once again if you know a lot about good music you might have heard of them but in case you havent and you think itd be cool to see someone play 2 saxes at once you should check it out

Almost

Postby Almost » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:04 am UTC

Band (Song Title)

Vota (Hard to Believe)
Ag Silver (We are)

Enid Coleslaw

Postby Enid Coleslaw » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:48 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Well, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea got a 10 on Pitchfork, which means liking them instantly gives you indie cred. I think they're probably one of the more widely known bands of their type (meaning, quirky lyrics with an instantly recognizable and easily dislikable lead singer).

not really. liking pitchfork is pretty much the least 'cool' thing in the world. all the cool kids hate neutral milk hotel - or even worse, think they're "pretty good, i guess", said in that disaffected tone.

but yeah, they're hardly obscure.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:41 pm UTC

it depends how meta-indie you want to get, I suppose.

Durinthal

Re: Re:

Postby Durinthal » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:00 am UTC

Balrog Boogie wrote:Diablo Swing Orchestra.

Now this is my kind of music. I listened to a few of their tracks online and then promptly bought their CD. :D

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:48 am UTC

Kyte: http://www.myspace.com/kyteband

excellent Leicestershire band, kinda shoegazey with pop and post-rock elements.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:22 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:it depends how meta-indie you want to get, I suppose.

Hmm. Meta-indieness... that could explain quite a few things...
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

almightyze

Postby almightyze » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

Enid Coleslaw wrote:
TheAmazingRando wrote:Well, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea got a 10 on Pitchfork, which means liking them instantly gives you indie cred. I think they're probably one of the more widely known bands of their type (meaning, quirky lyrics with an instantly recognizable and easily dislikable lead singer).

not really. liking pitchfork is pretty much the least 'cool' thing in the world. all the cool kids hate neutral milk hotel - or even worse, think they're "pretty good, i guess", said in that disaffected tone.

but yeah, they're hardly obscure.

I think it's now ironic to hate Pitchfork, according to the cool kids, whoever the fuck they are in Greenpoint (since Williamsburg became a "family-friendly" haven. psh). So they hate hating Pitchfork, especially since the publication is now giving them jobs on their home turf. I've lost track.

Thanks a lot, postmodernism!

(I think there's a band called the Cool Kids now, too)

Insanity's Partner wrote:Regina Spektor. So indie, she's practically anti-indie. More accurately described as Anti-folk, with some hints of Jazz in a lot of her songs. She's not a band, and I believe she's been mentioned two or three times in various comics/webstore. Actually, she's everywhere, now. I think she has a song in the latest Narnia movie. xP

You've probably heard Fidelity, On The Radio, Samson, or some other songs. I would say her best songs are in her first three albums, although, now that I think about it, she keeps her general flavor throughout all albums, with some slight evolving over the years. Her latest album has a lot of new flavor, though.

Regina is a little more popular than you were implying even when you wrote that. She basically took over Fiona Apple's role as cool weirdo female singer/songwriter with Soviet Kitsch (and when she basically split off with New York's anti-folk scene), when Fiona basically went all Jeff Mangum on us (since that's really the only answer we have to the question, "What the fuck happened to her?"). Begin to Hope was her break into the mainstream, basically.

As per me? I have nothing to add new-wise, though I've been listening to The Embarassment and The Jam lately.

Excuse me, is this the Age of Reason?
01010011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00100000
01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001
01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01101001
01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

Allah o akbar! Azadi!

Tjoesvoll

Postby Tjoesvoll » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:59 pm UTC

Deathmøle is pretty obscure if you don't read Questionable Content, right?

emertron

Postby emertron » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

Pickwick out of Seattle(ish). Just heard them yesterday & they're just lovely.

2Hectic

Postby 2Hectic » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:51 am UTC

Tjoesvoll wrote:Deathmøle is pretty obscure if you don't read Questionable Content, right?

Speaking of Questionable Content, the Theory of Hipster Relativity seems to apply to this thread.
So according to hipster theory, the more obscure a band is the better its music will be, correct? It follow, then that a band which absolutely no one has heard of would make the best music ever! If no one has heard of a band, it effectively does not exist. Ergo, the best band in the world is nonexistant!

Another obscure band would be mine! Illegal Beagle!
Click the links in my signature for samples. Feedback is most appreciated.
Image Image Image Image

GyRo567

Postby GyRo567 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:32 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:it depends how meta-indie you want to get, I suppose.

I'll take that challenge.
Hybrid Ice

By Wikipedia linking standards, it's only one click removed from the massive popularity of Boston.*
But having never had a major record label, Hybrid Ice is technically a 1980s indie rock band. They're still kinda going with local gigs...

* (mostly I wanted to work the name Boston into a "bands nobody has heard of" topic)
I came here to read a cool post, a witty dialogue, a fresh joke, but stumbled upon a "bump"...
Way to go, jerk...
~CordlessPen

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

thread's too long to see if these guys have been mentioned yet but

Lord T and Eloise...they invented aristocrunk...i hate rap....i hate crunk...i can't STAND it....HOWEVER these guys are great....they bring enough comedy in with beats that are actually good that it's worth listening to
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Subliminity
needs friends

Postby Subliminity » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

SR-71, good band...

Utada Hikaru is a good singer, fuck yeah I'm a nerd, I like kingdom hearts. So what?

tentacleTherapist

Postby tentacleTherapist » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

Ramona Cordova! He's an indie folk-rock artist from Spain, with a rather high falsetto. You can download his album for free from his site =^_^=
Tumblr-ma-doodle
Spoiler:
You will see my shadow
On every wall

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:33 am UTC

Thought I may as well try to plug my favourite band of all time ever:

New Model Army- hailing from the north of England, their musical roots (upon formation in 1980) originally consisted of punk rock and northern soul but over the years they've covered so many styles (folk, "goth", metal, blues, traces of hip-hop) that they transcend classification. Always just below the musical radar, they've never been fashionable but are as powerful, hard working and honest an act as they come. The music is built upon a very strong rhythm section, and their live shows are such that the band have developed a strong "following" of fans who travel to every gig and treat each other as family. Common to all their work is an intense sincerity and intelligent lyrics, often with a strong political message- rarely expressed as one-dimensional "this is my ideology" preaching, but rather as a serious of stories and all the contradictory emotions associated with them.
...having said that I'll link to a couple of covers (semi-acoustic ones, at that!) instead of one of their own songs, as I feel they're great examples of extreme intensity without resorting to particularly "heavy" music:
Gimme Shelter- Rolling Stones cover
Masters of War- Bob Dylan cover
Is this a wok that you've shoved down my throat, or are you just pleased to see me?

gallifrey

Postby gallifrey » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:09 am UTC

the nuclear whales!!!
theyre a saxophone group, includes sopranino, contrabass, and everything in between... they just sound absolutely amazing!
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.
Stars, hide your fires, let not light see my black and deep desires...

Snicklefrits

Postby Snicklefrits » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:22 am UTC

I am constantly having to explain to everyone the awesomeness that is The Aquabats. It's ska and crime fighting and happiness. But I just found out Nitro Records dumped them, so they won't be able to make a new album. I don't know what I'm going to do without my favorite band of masked superheroes. I hope another label picks them up... otherwise these heroes of nerdcore might have to part ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhJRUKkZAL4

cmd

Postby cmd » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:15 am UTC

Snicklefrits wrote:I am constantly having to explain to everyone the awesomeness that is The Aquabats. It's ska and crime fighting and happiness. But I just found out Nitro Records dumped them, so they won't be able to make a new album. I don't know what I'm going to do without my favorite band of masked superheroes. I hope another label picks them up... otherwise these heroes of nerdcore might have to part ways.

Super Rad has got to be one of my favorites of all time.

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

Since most of the "obscure" bands I know about have already been listed, I'll post the ones that haven't.

Hudson River School
Controlling the Famous - awesome alternative/indie rock
Lymbyc Systym - instrumental/electronica type stuff
Rascar Capac - Swedish punk
Breakfast With the Mayor
Niccokick - Swedish indie rock, not sure how well known they are abroad.
Love Is All - More Swedish indie, don't care much for the vocals though.
titofelix
Lazybone - Korean ska, not as bad as it sounds :P

Finally, two local bands: Delayed Matinee, my friends' band (some nice acoustic stuff), and Captain Fringe.

amx126

Re:

Postby amx126 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:15 pm UTC

Kawa wrote:One band:
Asobi Seksu.

Not bands, but individual people:
* Jamie Barnes
* Vienna Teng (possibly more mainstream but I never hear people mention her)
* Katie Davis

i have a close friend at school named Kate Davis. shes a fantastic musician, so this freaked me out a tiny bit... lol

carry on :)
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:35 am UTC

From Melbourne, Milk Teddy!

From Montreal, Sister Suvi!

Purveyors of the two best nights of live music I've experienced in ages. Milk Teddy are working on a debut EP, and Sister Suvi just came out with their first album - listen to and get it here: http://www.commoncloud.com/sistersuvi/

jcidiot

Postby jcidiot » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

i listened to paramore before it became famous. then came "Riot!" and then playing for the movie Twilight. TWILIGHT!?!?!
SERIOUSLY, WTF?!?

</rant>
um, how about Acceptance? they broke up after 1 album, but... Cute is what We Aim For got signed on by fueled by ramen, so there goes the reallyindie tag.

good charrlotte, hit the lights, neverstore, punchline, quietdrive. its been i while since when i checked how popular they are, i just like the songs....

yellowcard? it is more popular now, though... heard some hot girls humming it recently.

and The summer set. GOD. not punk- more pop really, but it was catchy as hell. its probably gonna go paramore on me.

ShesARainbow

Postby ShesARainbow » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:46 am UTC

Saurus33

Postby Saurus33 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:43 am UTC

I know I just posted this in What You're Listening To, but; Bless The Undying Worm.

Considering that they don't exist outside of three songs on youtube (yet), I figure they're obscure enough.

liltimmy

Postby liltimmy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

Damn.
I don't get out enough.
I don't know any bands that no-one knows about apart from old metal bands that self-destructed.

Forum Viking

Postby Forum Viking » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:10 am UTC

Gavin Harrison and 05ric
Gavin Harrison is quite a talented and famous drummer (he plays with Porcupine Tree), but 05ric doesn't have a wikipedia article!
Clearly this needs to be remedied, because he is are awesome.
Search engines: Helping you help yourself.

evilbobthebob

Postby evilbobthebob » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:26 pm UTC

Well, there's absolutely no posts about the band Shai Hulud here (Plenty about the sandworm). They're a progressive metal-influenced hardcore band, with a pleasantly nerdy guitarist.

Then there's Trap Them, a heavy grindcore band (but without the dying pig vocals).

88 Fingers Louie, punk band that split up in the late 90s. The bassist now plays in Rise Against.

Anterior, metal band from Wales. Nice guitar solos.

Disfear, d-beat punk from Sweden. Although I've seen them mentioned on here a bit, so they aren't that obscure.

There's some miscellaneous hardcore bands that no one has heard of as well, like Coliseum, Bars (on hiatus I think), The Hope Conspiracy, Blacklisted. All quite popular within the scene (hate that word) but virtually unknown outside.

Daoshi

Postby Daoshi » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

Snicklefrits wrote:I am constantly having to explain to everyone the awesomeness that is The Aquabats. It's ska and crime fighting and happiness. But I just found out Nitro Records dumped them, so they won't be able to make a new album. I don't know what I'm going to do without my favorite band of masked superheroes. I hope another label picks them up... otherwise these heroes of nerdcore might have to part ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXrAreJyy8

I have this awesome idea. Marry me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18-jzMS6Ro - Guggenheim Grotto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgSHVf_DftU - Matt Costa, though I think he's growing in popularity now.

Also, saw earlier in this threat, The Cat Empire. You folks can marry me, too. We'll make a party out of it.
Image Image Image Image

seladore

Postby seladore » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:31 pm UTC

Session Americana.

I defy anyone to watch these and not want to have ear-babies with this group;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2tfbz8d ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvP50Pj8 ... re=related

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Mon May 25, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

uknowurright9 wrote:Mellow Howard - local band in Providence, RI (i know them personally but i would like them if had somehow heard of them through other people) kick ass piano player, awesome vocalist, and solid bass player; no drums or guitar! its an awesome sound and i guarantee youll be impressed (look them up on myspace for recordings, theyre on facebook too)
Biffy Clyro - 3-piece band from Scotland where all 3 sing as well as play their instruments, somewhat known but not as popular as they should be
Manchester Orchestra - interesting band with a great debut album, have yet to hear their new album though
Blue Cheer- were around a really long time ago and did an awesome cover of summertime blues, could be called the first "grunge" sounding band ever
Zox - local band from Providence, RI that was signed to a major label and began getting national attention a few years ago but still largely unknown
The Wipers - unless you know a lot about good music or you somehow heard someone mention them as an influence you havent heard of them; you need to change that and listen to them... NOW... or at least before you die... because theyre awesome...
The Flecktones - once again if you know a lot about good music you might have heard of them but in case you havent and you think itd be cool to see someone play 2 saxes at once you should check it out

Dude... you just stole at least 3 of my top picks. Unfortunately, last Saturday night was Zox's last performance. They've disbanded because Eli(lead singer) is going to law school in Cali.
Manchester Orchestra is another fantastic one. Definately second this..
As for my own input, theres quite a few fantastic metal bands out there. In Mourning is great. They only have one debut album out so far, but I think are putting another out soon.
Bella Morte is great sortof dark, gothy electronica.
Hm...MGMT is really good too.

Edited for spelling and grammar.
Last edited by Wednesday on Fri May 29, 2009 6:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Beacons!

Postby Beacons! » Mon May 25, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

Theocracy are a pretty rocking christian power metal band I found recently. Far too awesome to be so ignored. :cry:
"Woof!", explained the dog

mdx_stargoliath

Postby mdx_stargoliath » Fri May 29, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

Living Syndication, anyone?

how about

Ruiner?
Your life is your own and you are not governed by a predetermined destiny.

We Hope...

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Sun May 31, 2009 4:01 am UTC

mdx_stargoliath wrote:Living Syndication, anyone?

how about

Ruiner?

Haven't heard of Living Syndication, what're they like?

Ruiner, however, is fantastic. I love them.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:55 pm UTC

The Hudsons

They are a 2-man folk band in Austin, TX. comprised of Brian Hudson and... Hudson Mueller. Great little band
418 I'm a teapot

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:04 pm UTC

Snakes Hate Fire - they're a really good band in my area.
Flywheel - I'm not too sure if they're well known or not but nobody I know seems to have heard of them.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:32 pm UTC

too many posts to read through....anyone mention "Murder by Death"? yet (http://www.murderbydeath.com/)...they opened for Reverend Horton Heat (awesome!) when they came through town a year or 3 ago...they're a great band...really odd lyric/melody relation....interesting concepts and a hot chic with an electric cello....hot! also...the lead singer looks like wolverine (not hugh jackman...wolverine)....
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Return to “Music”