Australia, represent.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Aussie?

Bloody oath mate.
39%
Nah, I'm off the island.
61%

Total votes: 245

pete

Postby pete » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:21 pm UTC

No specific incident, it's mainly your tendency to win everything combined with our tendency to take our sport seriously. That and Shane Warne (yes I know he's retired). I think the fact that so many of us emigrated there around the time of our first democratic elections has something to do with the feelings as well.

Anyway, nobody (besides an Aussie) would cheer Australia in any sports bar I've been to. New Zealand yes, but they've got the Haka ;)

It's a cultural thing, hard to explain really. We don't dislike Australians in general, just whenever a game is on.

CitizenErased

Postby CitizenErased » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:08 am UTC

pete wrote:No specific incident, it's mainly your tendency to win everything combined with our tendency to take our sport seriously. That and Shane Warne (yes I know he's retired). I think the fact that so many of us emigrated there around the time of our first democratic elections has something to do with the feelings as well.

Anyway, nobody (besides an Aussie) would cheer Australia in any sports bar I've been to. New Zealand yes, but they've got the Haka ;)

It's a cultural thing, hard to explain really. We don't dislike Australians in general, just whenever a game is on.

You sure the '98 world cup (cricket) semi final doesn't have anything to with it? :lol:

Though I can't blame you for hating Shane Warne, at least he is retired now...if only we could get rid of Anthiny Mundine then I'll be a happy man

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:13 am UTC

Me too, except lady. :P

And I laughed so hard the time Shane Warne broke his thumb.

|333173|3|_||3

Postby |333173|3|_||3 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:41 pm UTC

skydemon wrote:
pete wrote:No specific incident, it's mainly your tendency to win everything combined with our tendency to take our sport seriously. That and Shane Warne (yes I know he's retired). I think the fact that so many of us emigrated there around the time of our first democratic elections has something to do with the feelings as well.

You sure the '98 world cup (cricket) semi final doesn't have anything to with it? :lol:

Though I can't blame you for hating Shane Warne, at least he is retired now...if only we could get rid of Anthiny Mundine then I'll be a happy man

I don't blame anyone for hating Warnie (I am from Hampshire, and now live in SA), adn see why people hate him. As my college dean said the first time I met him "Warne is good at bolwing, and fairly good at batting, but he is a very bad cricketer".

I voted as an Aussie, since i am an Aussie citizen,a lthough I still think of myself as english, and support them in Cricket (I am not that weak-willed), adn I think that Aussie Ruels is a bad game, a hooligan's game playted by hooligans, still think that rugby Union is the best football code. I still think that most Port fans are idiots, and hate collingwood fans as much as the next man.
The voices in my head tell me that I should write something here. Unfortunately, they won't tell me what to write.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:24 pm UTC

Not from Australia, but i'd love to visit your continent some day.

But, i felt i'd share this with you Aussie's: http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=070609

I found this and the next 2 strips following it particularly funny.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

CitizenErased

Postby CitizenErased » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:39 pm UTC

|333173|3|_||3 wrote:adn I think that Aussie Ruels is a bad game, a hooligan's game playted by hooligans, still think that rugby Union is the best football code. I still think that most Port fans are idiots, and hate collingwood fans as much as the next man.

Sacrilege! Don't even think about stepping foot in Victoria :evil:

though I'll give you brownie points for hating Collingwood supporters....

jmce

Postby jmce » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:18 am UTC

I believe it is because it would grant President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe - who has been "criticized around the world for corruption, suppression of political opposition, mishandling of land reform, economic mismanagement, and the deteriorating human rights situation in Zimbabwe" (wikipedia) - a "propaganda victory".

EDIT: oops, missed a page. I was answering this comment:
Toeofdoom wrote:Zimbabwe is cause they think it wouldn't be safe for our team there or something... dunno why :?

EDIT #2: I've never played cricket or AFL (aussie rules), but I immensely enjoy watching each 8)
chaosspawn wrote:...a computer screen still can't hug you.

CitizenErased

Postby CitizenErased » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:23 pm UTC

What's wrong, all the Aussies to shy to post now? :P

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:42 am UTC

I do not know sporty things or anything about Zimbabwe, so I am sitting quietly not participating :P

CitizenErased

Postby CitizenErased » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:11 am UTC

Ummm ok then any Melbournians (or anyone else) doing Around the Bay in a Day in October?

For anyone who doesn't know it's a 210km bike ride around Port Philip bay, I'm tossing up whether to go this year, I did it last year and it was good fun but me thinks I'm going to be too lazy to do any training this year. I'm trying to get onto a corporate sponsored team so I can get some free lycra gear so if I can score that I might do it (hmm come to think of it I have quite a collection of lycra gear now...maybe this should go in the fetish thread?? :lol: )

Otherwise we could start a Melb vs Syndey debate :twisted:

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:11 am UTC

I decided today that I'm going to Australia for the month of January. Two very good friends of mine are Aussies who have lived in Dublin for the past three years. They're leaving in about three weeks, and I'll really miss them. So I'm gonna go visit! They're musicians too, and we all play in a band together called Skinful (I'm just home from a gig now, actually) and we talked our drummer into going too, so now there's going to be a Skinful Australian Tour in Jan '08!

Can't bloody wait. I'll post details of the gigs when I get them, in case any of ye might be in the area :D
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:19 am UTC

Yay! Definitely do that! And if you find yourself in Sydney I will be happy to take you all around places, if you want. :D I can even take you to the beach and show you all the things you're not allowed to touch unless we say it's okay, I had awesome fun doing that last time.

davef

Postby davef » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:21 am UTC

Fantastic! I'll do that. I'll be flying into Sydney.

My brother tells me to watch out for bird-eating spiders. He's kidding, right?

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:31 am UTC

*darts eyes about* Ye-esss.

Actually there are bird eating spiders, but you're not a bird, right? :P Nothing to be worried about. And they're in Queensland, from memory.

davef

Postby davef » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:37 am UTC

Right then. I'll steer well clear of Queensland, in that case.

Time for some sleep for me.

See you in January, Tegan!

CitizenErased

Postby CitizenErased » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:37 am UTC

davef wrote:Fantastic! I'll do that. I'll be flying into Sydney.

My brother tells me to watch out for bird-eating spiders. He's kidding, right?

I keep telling people...it's those Drop Bears you have to watch out for! :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_bear

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:42 am UTC

Hey! There's nothing wrong with Queensland.

>.>

apart from the spiders, snakes, jelly fish, sting rays, octupi, cassowaries, stonefish, hyper-agressive magpies...

<.<

Perfectly safe!

You wanna see a raptor? Try the cassowary on for size.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:57 am UTC

Whee! Cassowaries! They are pretty awesome, but I was too afraid to go too close in case one of them wanted to kill me.

dumbclown

Postby dumbclown » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:04 am UTC

I would be more worried about funnel webs. The bird eating spider is just the largest spider in Australia. The funnel web is consider to be one of the most dangerous spiders in the world.

You left crocodile, sharks and cone shells off the list SilverWolfe.

CitizenErased

Postby CitizenErased » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:14 am UTC

maybe it would be easier to name things that are NOT dangerous in Australia? :wink:

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:41 am UTC

Australia's for kangaroos. And British criminals.

Still, I kind of do want to live there...

CitizenErased

Postby CitizenErased » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:04 am UTC

...and vegemite

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:10 am UTC

skydemon wrote:maybe it would be easier to name things that are NOT dangerous in Australia? :wink:

Yes.

List of things in Australia that aren't dangerous:

that is all.

(even the adorable platypus is poisonous)
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:10 am UTC

I'm representing, as the thread title suggests, though I haven't read most of the pages.

Now that this has sadly gone on to the inevitable 'everything in Australia WILL kill you' discussion, I'll have my say.

I live in rural central queensland (The state with the red-backs, taipans, cane toads, cassowarys etc etc etc)) There's cobwebs all around my house, and every year or so. we find a snake in or around our house. Despite this, not only am I still alive (although I'm only 17) I've never actually been bitten or incapacitated by such evils (I was once bitten by a skink, but they don't hurt very much)

My mother did get bitten by a snake once, but it was of the one's that prefer to swallow you alive rather than watch you die slowly of poisoning, so all was well.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:01 am UTC

Spoil sport :roll:

can we go back to having our fun now?

I was chatting to someone who used to live in Sydney and they've said that Bird-Eating Spiders are nothing. Sydney has funnel-webs, they're actually poisonous :)

P.S. Watch out for the Kangawallafox.
Last edited by GhostWolfe on Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Linguistic Anarchist

stuck
The Sandwichsmith of Legend

Postby stuck » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:04 am UTC

Queensland had Queenslanders. That's pretty bad.

Where i work "they're from queensland" is code through the entire company (450 staff) for "customer isn't very clever".

Apologies to our QLD viewers.
Belial wrote:You, my friend, are my new fucking hero

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:07 am UTC

stuck wrote:Where i work "they're from queensland" is code through the entire company (450 staff) for "customer isn't very clever".

And we do it to Tasmanians and South Australians. Poor Tasmanians, they really get the short end of the stick.
Linguistic Anarchist

stuck

Postby stuck » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:27 am UTC

That happens when you sleep with your sister... :P

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:28 am UTC

South Australia is awesome. Adelaide is surrounded by a beautiful park, it was amazing. Im used to ugly Sydney as a capital city, but Adelaide was beautiful. Hobart was so-so.. they have nice trees in Tasmania though. They farm them actually, which I found pretty interesting. Tree farms haha but anyway. Dont judge it for real until you've been there.. jokes are fine though.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

PS_Mouse

Postby PS_Mouse » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:35 am UTC

skydemon wrote:maybe it would be easier to name things that are NOT dangerous in Australia? :wink:

Sheep?
I think I used to have a porpoise; then again, that might have been a dream. | Eternal life comes to those who wait
Never forget how the brave Tenzing Norgay outsmarted the evil Edmund Hillary

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:35 am UTC

Australia is simply awesome, there is literally no where else in the world I would ever live. It's just so much fun to make out like everything is so dangerous and watch people quite capable of dealing scorpions in their house freak out when you say "bird-eating spider".
Linguistic Anarchist

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:37 am UTC

:( my friend got stung by a scorpion in her house.. I laughed until I saw the second one and then freaked out.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.

-Neil Gaiman

stuck

Postby stuck » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:38 am UTC

PS_Mouse wrote:

Sheep?

I was rammed by a Ewe when I was six. Don't be so certain.

In other news, I wholeheartedly agree with SilverWolfe.

|333173|3|_||3

Postby |333173|3|_||3 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:14 am UTC

Tasmanians are the only safe creatures in Oz, and that is because they are on a small island where they won't do anyone any harm. It's simpler and cheaper just to leave them there than to create a big enough mental ward for them all.
Adelaide is very pleasant, with good public transport (v. cheap) and still quite a large area of parklands.
The voices in my head tell me that I should write something here. Unfortunately, they won't tell me what to write.

jmce

Postby jmce » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:48 am UTC

SilverWolfe wrote:Poor Tasmanians, they really get the short end of the stick.

Do you have Tasmanian heritage? :wink:

I don't know what it is about big hairy spiders that just freaks everyone out (including me, to some extent). They are just so malevolent... but I'm sure this topic already has its own thread.
chaosspawn wrote:...a computer screen still can't hug you.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:59 am UTC

I was born in Queensland, lived here most my life, but I don't know much about my family tree. *shrug* There are worse things I could have in my heratige I'm sure.
Linguistic Anarchist

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:39 am UTC

Hey Australia, I've got a question for you.

Anybody listen to John Butler Trio? He's one of my favorite musicians and I hear he's pretty big over there (being an Aussie, and all).
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:02 pm UTC

Ah, John Butler. Yes, I listen to him! He is not bad at all. :)

davef

Postby davef » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:14 pm UTC

skydemon wrote:I keep telling people...it's those Drop Bears you have to watch out for! :P

Oh shit.

SilverWolfe wrote:...spiders, snakes, jelly fish, sting rays, octupi, cassowaries, stonefish, hyper-agressive magpies...

Double shit.

dumbclown wrote:I would be more worried about funnel webs.

Christ on a Bike!

Then SilverWolfe, feeling especially malicious, wrote:(even the adorable platypus is poisonous)

That's it. I'm cancelling my ticket!
Last edited by davef on Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:18 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:Hey Australia, I've got a question for you.

Anybody listen to John Butler Trio? He's one of my favorite musicians and I hear he's pretty big over there (being an Aussie, and all).

Hell yeah, I'm a fan. He's one of the few hippies I won't point and laugh at!

Return to “General”