Computer Scientists

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Re: Computer Scientists

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:31 pm UTC

Shriike wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:Everyone knows the first words of the first Real Programmer: Let there be light!

you know it occurs to me, is it blasphemous to compare God to a programmer or just a really good analogy?

I figure it's a good analogy since every programmer has a God complex.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:22 pm UTC

Shriike wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:Everyone knows the first words of the first Real Programmer: Let there be light!
you know it occurs to me, is it blasphemous to compare God to a programmer or just a really good analogy?
Don't worry -- programmers don't mind being blasphemed against. Much.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

Shriike wrote:

Yes. For we know there is only the Architect...... (reference, Matrix: Revolutions)

Soljer

Postby Soljer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:
Shriike wrote:
Don't worry -- programmers don't mind being blasphemed against. Much.

You stole my reply. Word for word. :(.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

Shriike wrote:

I don't see it being worse then any of God's other analogous professions. If running the universe is like herding sheep why can't it be like coding LISP?
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

deconvoluted

Postby deconvoluted » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:56 am UTC

So the OP was posting in praise of CS people ....

Hopefully the 70 odd posts about text editors, combined with various self-congratulatory "My editor/language/morning exercise routine is more difficult than yours" posts haven't changed his mind...

Shriike

Postby Shriike » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:11 pm UTC

deconvoluted wrote:"My editor/language/morning exercise routine is more difficult than yours" posts haven't changed his mind...

My morning exercise routine is the best of all!

benedikt

Postby benedikt » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

I finally registered, just to be able to say thank you.

Ipswitch

Postby Ipswitch » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

Shriike wrote:...but I'm absolutely amazed that you let your program run for a whole day. I have the patience of a gold fish, if I don't get an answer in one minute, then obviously I screwed something up so I try to improve my algorithm (that being said most of my stuff is quite inefficient still).

Eh, I've seen lots of code that takes multiple days to run. Usually has something to do with chemistery/physics simulation or some huge data crunching job. I used to see jobs in the OSC cluster queues that had wallclock runtimes of 30+ days. Their actual CPU time was quite a bit lower since they basically only ran when nobody else was on the cluster, but still that's some crazy time invested in a single sim.

I, personally, have worked on some sims that would run upwards of an hour before they were finished. During debugging, even scaled down, you could go get a cup of coffee or take a bio before the debug run was over. It's been quite a while since I mucked around with sims, so I'm not sure if the advent of GPGPU has changed the way that some of the sims I was working on are done.

Also, Notepad is for n00bz lololololkek.
http://vogonpoetryreview.com

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare..." -- U.S. Constitution

stolid

Postby stolid » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:38 am UTC

Although I'm a minimalist, I think notepad is far from preferable. I would (and do) use Notepad2 (or notepad++ if you want tabs).
Registered Linux User #555399

GalstafSofL

Postby GalstafSofL » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:33 am UTC

edit: "Hello, world! Let there be light!"

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:37 am UTC

edit:

Code: Select all

(let ((heaven nil)
      (earth nil))
   (if (and (null earth) (equal (car deep) 'darkness) (equal (car waters) 'god_spirit))
       (let ((light 1))
           (setp heaven (light))
           (setp earth (light))
           (if (equal light good)
               (let ((day light)
                     (night (not light))
     [...snip...]
                                                                      (let ((man 1))

etc.

Disclaimer: I am not God. God follows LISP conventions better, and his code actually works. . .most of the time.

Return to “Computer Science”