Online Coding Jobs

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

andy33gmail

Online Coding Jobs

Postby andy33gmail » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

Hi all,

This summer (June onwards) I'm going to have maybe 15 hours a week of time available for work. I'm a second year Computer Science student at Cambridge and have some experience with decently big projects. Do any of you know which sites are good for finding work? I'm most experienced with Java, but like any Computer Scientist, could pick up another language in an afternoon.

I've also got scripting, html, network admin experience but these aren't generally well paid, right?

thanks in advance

GalstafSofL

Re: Online Coding Jobs

Postby GalstafSofL » Fri May 01, 2009 2:57 am UTC

Being a senior in high school I don't really know too much about this myself, but I heard for computers that http://www.dice.com/ is a good site to go to.

runa

Postby runa » Fri May 01, 2009 7:13 am UTC

awec

Postby awec » Sun May 17, 2009 1:52 pm UTC

andy33gmail wrote:Hi all,

This summer (June onwards) I'm going to have maybe 15 hours a week of time available for work. I'm a second year Computer Science student at Cambridge and have some experience with decently big projects. Do any of you know which sites are good for finding work? I'm most experienced with Java, but like any Computer Scientist, could pick up another language in an afternoon.

I've also got scripting, html, network admin experience but these aren't generally well paid, right?

thanks in advance

html is quick easy money. Not a lot of money per project, but you could fly through projects and make quite a bit of money.

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Tue May 19, 2009 10:18 am UTC

Why not full time? Check out http://www.shellstep.org.uk/cms/content.php?c=1
I did a GO Wales placement last summer, which is a similar, but region-centric scheme; The pay was basic, but the experience was really good. Often the participating companies are small-to-medium ones so you'll either be the sold geek or have a nice small team to work with. This should stop you feeling like a cog in the corporate machine.
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

Reg Berkeley

Postby Reg Berkeley » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

In case you don't know, Craigslist is littered with people looking for help but usually willing to pay a fraction of what it's worth. But if you can weed thru the BS, there's good work to be had.

shamess

Postby shamess » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:45 am UTC

Emu* wrote:Why not full time? Check out http://www.shellstep.org.uk/cms/content.php?c=1
I did a GO Wales placement last summer, which is a similar, but region-centric scheme; The pay was basic, but the experience was really good. Often the participating companies are small-to-medium ones so you'll either be the sold geek or have a nice small team to work with. This should stop you feeling like a cog in the corporate machine.

Awh. I was really excited about that site when I saw it, but it looks like they only accept second year students. I'm at the infinitely boring break between my first and second year now, and was really hoping to find someone to work for the next few months...

âjray

Postby âjray » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

What about TopCoder?

Return to “Computer Science”