Chirac claims Bush invoked Bible to get France in CoW

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Chirac claims Bush invoked Bible to get France in CoW

Postby Lumpy » Sat May 30, 2009 4:50 am UTC

There's only so much you can jam into a headline, but according to former cheese eating surrender monkey-in-chief Jacques Chirac, Bush invoked the end-world Biblical prophecy of Gog and Magog.

A theology professor approached by French officials to explain the meaning of what he said, reported in a 2007 paper that Bush said to Chirac on the phone, "This confrontation is willed by God, who wants to use this conflict to erase his people's enemies before a New Age begins." Chirac confirmed the existence of the conversation today.

You may recall a story earlier this month about the Department of Defense printing Bible verses on military images to be presented to the President during briefings.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: Chirac claims Bush invoked Bible to get France in CoW

Postby Gelsamel » Sat May 30, 2009 4:55 am UTC

If that is true...

What. The. Fuck.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat May 30, 2009 5:03 am UTC

And here I was ready to be surprised. And yet, well, I'm not. Kind of sad.

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat May 30, 2009 5:22 am UTC

This is why you don't make religion a requirement* in order to serve public office. Because religion leads to its own special brand of crazy. The kind of crazy that says, "God told me to make [policy decision] in aid of genocide." *headdesk*

*de facto

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat May 30, 2009 5:24 am UTC

Malice wrote:This is why you don't make religion a requirement* in order to serve public office. Because religion leads to its own special brand of crazy. The kind of crazy that says, "God told me to make [policy decision] in aid of genocide." *headdesk*

*de facto

Actually, you know that no religious test for office thing. Yeah, turns out, they really were a good idea, just it wasn't the atheists we needed to keep out.

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat May 30, 2009 6:46 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Malice wrote:This is why you don't make religion a requirement* in order to serve public office. Because religion leads to its own special brand of crazy. The kind of crazy that says, "God told me to make [policy decision] in aid of genocide." *headdesk*

*de facto

Actually, you know that no religious test for office thing. Yeah, turns out, they really were a good idea, just it wasn't the atheists we needed to keep out.

Nah. I mean, it can be just as bad to have somebody with no belief system in office. The trick is to find people with actual good beliefs ("do unto others" is a good one), not to assume that the self-application of a broad label (whether "Christian" or "atheist") automatically means they're a good person.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat May 30, 2009 7:29 am UTC

What? Judge people based on individual merits? Crazy!
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat May 30, 2009 8:08 am UTC

Diadem wrote:What? Judge people based on individual merits? Crazy!

Yeah, we do that and the terrorists win.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:13 am UTC

He can blame Bush for being a biblethumper all he wants, it doesn't change the fact that it worked. He's still at fault for letting such stupidity force him to do things.

"oh teh noes, teh gogmagogssss!!!!!1!11oneoneeleventyone, VIVA LE FRANCE!" /sarcasm

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:50 am UTC

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought France never joined said coalition. Did I mistakenly imply it in the title?

Iv

Postby Iv » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:56 am UTC

I don't know how the medias covered it on the other side of the Atlantic, but here it was well known that the Blair-Bush cooperation was based heavily on religious common views. The Jihaders vs Crusaders thing looked like a fairly accurate description of events.
Chirac, in a new book by French journalist Jean-Claude Maurice, is quoted as confirming the surreal conversation, saying he was stupefied by Bush's reference to biblical prophecy and "wondered how someone could be so superficial and fanatical in their beliefs."
Last edited by Iv on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:00 am UTC

spoilered for quasi-offtopicness
Spoiler:
Needs moar children's crusade. :3

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:18 pm UTC

Iv wrote:I don't know how the medias covered it on the other side of the Atlantic, but here it was well known that the Blair-Bush cooperation was based heavily on religious common views. The Jihaders vs Crusaders thing looked like a fairly accurate description of events.
Chirac, in a new book by French journalist Jean-Claude Maurice, is quoted as confirming the surreal conversation, saying he was stupefied by Bush's reference to biblical prophecy and "wondered how someone could be so superficial and fanatical in their beliefs."

Welcome to America Chirac, we breed superficial and fanatical belief like we breed chicken.

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:47 pm UTC

As well said in the article, using religion as an argument is a great way of weirding the French out. Bush would have known that is he were a slight bit curious about other cultures.

icanus

Postby icanus » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:21 pm UTC

Grop wrote:As well said in the article, using religion as an argument for war is a great way of weirding the French out scaring the shit out of sane people everywhere
fix'd

I still love watching the clip of Blair being asked "did you pray with Bush" and squirming all over the studio to avoid answering.

cspirou

Postby cspirou » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Lumpy wrote:There's only so much you can jam into a headline, but according to former cheese eating surrender monkey-in-chief Jacques Chirac, Bush invoked the end-world Biblical prophecy of Gog and Magog.

What do you mean "former" cheese eating surrender monkey? He never was one to begin with.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

It was a jokey reference to the "freedom fries" mentality in 2003, not meant seriously.

cspirou

Postby cspirou » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

Lumpy wrote:It was a jokey reference to the "freedom fries" mentality in 2003, not meant seriously.

I know exactly what you're referring too and I'm saying it wasn't funny to begin with and it's still not funny now.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:48 pm UTC

By the way, is "monkey" related to this great era, or is monkey-in-chief a generic thing about heads of state?

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

cspirou wrote:
Lumpy wrote:It was a jokey reference to the "freedom fries" mentality in 2003, not meant seriously.

I know exactly what you're referring too and I'm saying it wasn't funny to begin with and it's still not funny now.

Luckily for us all, you're not the arbiter of laughter.

Mega D

Postby Mega D » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:23 pm UTC

Grop wrote:By the way, is "monkey" related to this great era, or is monkey-in-chief a generic thing about heads of state?

I think in this case "monkey" was tied to "surrender" when the phrase was initially coined (on The Daily Show?). The French are "surrender monkeys", and Chirac was their chief. "Monkey" wasn't implied to be specifically for the head of state.

Bush is likened to a chimp, on the other hand, which is of course totally different from a monkey.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:
cspirou wrote:

Luckily for us all, you're not the arbiter of laughter.

Sadly the arbiter of laughter as a shitty sense of humour
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

cspirou

Postby cspirou » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:25 pm UTC

Mega D wrote:
Grop wrote:By the way, is "monkey" related to this great era, or is monkey-in-chief a generic thing about heads of state?

I think in this case "monkey" was tied to "surrender" when the phrase was initially coined (on The Daily Show?). The French are "surrender monkeys", and Chirac was their chief. "Monkey" wasn't implied to be specifically for the head of state.

Bush is likened to a chimp, on the other hand, which is of course totally different from a monkey.

It was on the Simpsons in the 90's but then some rightwing columnist latched onto the phrase during 2002-2003.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

cspirou wrote:
Mega D wrote:

It was on the Simpsons in the 90's but then some rightwing columnist latched onto the phrase during 2002-2003.

But we can no longer use it now, because someone will yell at us. ^_^

Return to “News & Articles”