S. Carolina Gov. Takes a Hike

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

JBJ

S. Carolina Gov. Takes a Hike

Postby JBJ » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

...To Buenos Aires
http://www.newsweek.com/id/203480
Newsweek wrote:Sanford's wife, Jenny, assured the AP that he was taking time away from their four boys—on Father's Day weekend, no less—"to write something," even as she admitted that she didn't know his exact coordinates.
The governor's office ... revealed that Sanford was "recharge[ing] after the stimulus battle" with a hike along the Appalachian Trail.
... he'd actually been vacationing in Buenos Aires. "It's a great city," he said. "I don't know how this thing got blown out of proportion."

You don't know how this got blown out of proportion Gov. Sanford? Really...?
Okay, it's one thing to take a break, I don't begrudge anyone that. Even getting away from the family over Father's Day isn't too far fetched. But when people think you are out hiking, and you're actually in another freaking hemisphere, you don't think that's not going to send up any red flags?

This site puts on an interesting spin
redstate.com wrote:Sanford did tell his staff and family where he was going.
Because he was traveling without a security detail, it was in his best interests that no one knew he was gone.
When confronted by a pestering media, things went downhill.
Bah! That pesky media, worse than mosquitoes I tell ya.

Assuming the one of the two sides is true, is it worse if nobody really knew where he was at, or that his office lied about his location?
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Re: S. Carolina Gov. Takes a Hike

Postby ivnja » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

When he isn't on official business, I don't see why anyone should give a damn where he is. He took a vacation, that's all the public needed to know. Being a government official shouldn't deny a person all semblance of a personal life.
On the other hand, getting caught by the media does look pretty bad. If he does this again, he might want to just be vague instead of deliberately misdirecting. And if his wife actually didn't know where he was...bad move, maritally speaking.
Hi you.
she/her

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

Another family-values Republican taking a hike down infidelity lane. Good stuff all round. I've been highly entertained by this whole event. I kinda suspected that he might be boinking someone other than his wife.

edit: ivnja, he took this "vacation" without telling his office (so they could cover for him) or his wife (so she'd know/think he wasn't cheating on her). That's a pretty sure fire way to get yourself in the press.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

I was just going off of the quote from redstate.com. If that was wrong and he just flat-out lied to his office and his family....well then yeah, he's well and truly fucked.
*shrug*
Hi you.
she/her

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

Garm wrote:Another family-values Republican taking a hike down infidelity lane.

Any factual basis for this, or is this just wild speculation on your part?

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:
Garm wrote:Another family-values Republican taking a hike down infidelity lane.

Any factual basis for this, or is this just wild speculation on your part?

The Daily Kos is the only source I could find that mentioned any infidelity. I highly suspect it is made up although it does have an official looking "ASSOCIATED PRESS" header on the blog entry.
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:24 pm UTC

Which part needs proof? The infidelity that he just admitted to on live television or the "family values" part where he supported a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage? I suppose I could find links to both but the first is splattered all over the internet right now and the second is sort of trivial.

edit: I couldn't find any video *sadface* but you guys both lose at google... You must be over 40.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=5At&ei=On5CSrD4CZSOsgPn96nMDw&resnum=0&q=governor+sanford&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=PX5CSr-RO4vWsgOjyKzMDw&sa=X&oi=news_group&resnum=1&ct=title
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

This is an article with pertinent information.

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:41 pm UTC

Garm wrote:Which part needs proof? The infidelity that he just admitted to on live television or the "family values" part where he supported a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage? I suppose I could find links to both but the first is splattered all over the internet right now and the second is sort of trivial.

edit: I couldn't find any video *sadface* but you guys both lose at google... You must be over 40.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=5At&ei=On5CSrD4CZSOsgPn96nMDw&resnum=0&q=governor+sanford&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=PX5CSr-RO4vWsgOjyKzMDw&sa=X&oi=news_group&resnum=1&ct=title

I object to losing at google. In my defense the infidelity news broke very recently.
FYI here is the video CNN

edit: I'm only 35 by the way

Mega D

Postby Mega D » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

And per standard operating procedure, Fox News tries to pass him off as a Democrat. How pathetic can they possibly be?

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:25 am UTC

I've been following this (as it took place in my city) for the whole weekend. Relevant local articles are listed -
Infidelity/return - http://www.thestate.com/sanford/story/839930.html
Entire timeline of events: http://www.thestate.com/news-extras/story/838623.html
I can't find Monday's initial headline from the same paper, which is a pretty reputable local source.

I, as well as many other liberal South Carolinians, don't really like Sanford, but this passes everyone's expectations for weirdness. There's plenty more show to follow, too. He could potentially resign, and there's nothing in SC law or the state constitution detailing what to do then.

By the way, anyone seen The Hangover? :lol:
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:59 am UTC

Dear Governor Sanford,
How dare you lie to us? How dare you misrepresent yourself to children, especially in the nation's time of need? With so many kids overweight and lacking physical activity. When so many would rather play video games than keep themselves from getting rickets. How dare you take a plane when you said you were hiking? HOW DARE YOU ruin the good name of such a great physical activity that lets us get back to nature? I don't care that you fucked some hot Argentinean? I really don't. I probably would too given the chance. But how dare you not hike all the way there? What kind of man are you? A pussy. A pussy who can't sneak across international borders and hike all the way to South America. You're not going to get any Discovery Channel or Animal Planet specials by taking a plane.

Fuck you,
A dissatisfied hiking enthusiast.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:20 am UTC

Wait, why exactly is someone wanting privacy a big deal?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:26 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Wait, why exactly is someone wanting privacy a big deal?

Because it's unclear whether he fulfilled the responsibilities of his office as Governor by ensuring staff could contact him in case of an emergency. His freaking LT GOVERNOR had no idea where he was or for how long he'd be there.

And if he truly lied to his FAMILY...there's the hypocrisy issue of a family values Republican ignoring their own decrees.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:55 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:

Because it's unclear whether he fulfilled the responsibilities of his office as Governor by ensuring staff could contact him in case of an emergency. His freaking LT GOVERNOR had no idea where he was or for how long he'd be there.

And if he truly lied to his FAMILY...there's the hypocrisy issue of a family values Republican ignoring their own decrees.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090625/D991CE9O0.html

He admitted to having an affair. :3

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090625/D991CE9O0.html

He admitted to having an affair. :3

That's secondary, imo, to what the princess pointed out above you. If something had gone wrong that required the attention of the governor, we'd have been fucked.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:He admitted to having an affair. :3

I listen to Countdown on my morning bike ride.

So...I mean, I know NOW. And as mentioned on that show, there's now the issue of whether taxpayer funds were used for the purposes of gubernatorial booty calls.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

FOX News mislabeled him as a Democrat after he finally reappeared. Honest mistake? Who can be sure?

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

SHOCK AND MORAL OUTRAGE

...honestly, I couldn't care less. I'd like it a lot more if politicians weren't scrutinized on anything more than their stance on issues.

Malice

Postby Malice » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:49 pm UTC

It's not bad that he was having an affair. (It's funny that he was having an affair.) It's bad that he skipped out on governing to go do it. It'd be equally bad if he decided to go hiking all weekend with no way to reach him or without telling anybody.

Indon

Postby Indon » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:32 am UTC

apeman5291 wrote:That's secondary, imo, to what the princess pointed out above you. If something had gone wrong that required the attention of the governor, we'd have been fucked.

Don't worry, Colbert would've been on it.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:44 am UTC

Malice wrote:It's not bad that he was having an affair. (It's funny that he was having an affair.) It's bad that he skipped out on governing to go do it. It'd be equally bad if he decided to go hiking all weekend with no way to reach him or without telling anybody.

It's also bad that during his affair he campaigned on a platform of family values, and good Christian morals. I don't care that he fucked a bitch, but I'm kind of ripshit that in his moral code, that's an awful awful thing to do, and he fucking did it anyway and lied about for eight years.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:27 am UTC

I am curious about how he and John Ensign both stayed at the same "Christian bible study" group home for politicians called C-Street, managed by a gentleman's club called "The Family."

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:51 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:It's also bad that during his affair he campaigned on a platform of family values, and good Christian morals. I don't care that he fucked a bitch, but I'm kind of ripshit that in his moral code, that's an awful awful thing to do, and he fucking did it anyway and lied about for eight years.

Right. Instead, he should have campaigned on the pro-adultery platform.

Marital infidelity hovers between 30 and 60 percent in America, you know.

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:23 am UTC

Durandal wrote:Marital infidelity hovers between 30 and 60 percent in America, you know.

What difference does that make? It doesn't change the fact that he's a hypocritical ass.
Hi you.
she/her

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Durandal wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:It's also bad that during his affair he campaigned on a platform of family values, and good Christian morals. I don't care that he fucked a bitch, but I'm kind of ripshit that in his moral code, that's an awful awful thing to do, and he fucking did it anyway and lied about for eight years.

My fucking point is that "family values" honestly have no place in politics, anyway. At least they shouldn't.

Whether or not somebody cheats on their wife means NOTHING with regards to how well they govern. Whether or not someone has a family means dick-all to me. The fact that they think it's relevant tells me something, though, and so does the fact that they're willing to violate their own moral code and lie about it while still calling out others for the same actions.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 am UTC

Besides what it says for his ethical character, his hypocrisy also adds insult to injury for all the queers who have suffered under his leadership.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:01 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:(...) I don't care that he fucked a bitch (...)

This wording really bothers me.

Just because a woman sleeps with someone doesn't make her a bitch or a slut or whatever.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:07 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:

Just because a woman sleeps with someone doesn't make her a bitch or a slut or whatever.

I use the phrase ironically, as hyperbole, to show how absolutely fucking little I care what a politician does with his penis.

And man, slut's in a wholly different ballpark anyway. But thanks for sort of insinuating that I look negatively on women with any sort of sexual appetite; that's cool.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:12 pm UTC

Rush Limbaugh blames Obama.

[quote=Daily Kos]Short version: Rush says Mark Sanford was driven to have illicit Argentinian sex because of the devastating effects of his state being forced to take stimulus money. "To hell with this," he said, and just lost his good conservative spirit.[/quote]

It gets funnier.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:13 pm UTC

YES THE STIMULUS PACKAGE IS TO BLAME FOR MARK SANFORD TRAVELING BACK IN TIME TO BEGIN THIS AFFAIR BEFORE THE PASSING OF THE STIMULUS PACKAGE

WHAT THE FUCK RUSH YOU FAT FUCKING IDIOT

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:22 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
Diadem wrote:

I use the phrase ironically, as hyperbole, to show how absolutely fucking little I care what a politician does with his penis.

I can understand that sentiment, and I agree with it. But it would still be nice if you could express it without the sexist and sex-negative wording. I know you are neither of those things. But that's all the more reason to not use such language.

And man, slut's in a wholly different ballpark anyway.

Interesting, according to my dictionary they mean roughly the same thing, at least in this context. If anything I'd say 'bitch' has a more negative connotation.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
Durandal wrote:

My fucking point is that "family values" honestly have no place in politics, anyway. At least they shouldn't.

Whether or not somebody cheats on their wife means NOTHING with regards to how well they govern. Whether or not someone has a family means dick-all to me. The fact that they think it's relevant tells me something, though, and so does the fact that they're willing to violate their own moral code and lie about it while still calling out others for the same actions.

For once, I'm going to say something negative about the South. The fact is, down in South Carolina, you have to throw your religion around to get elected to office. People simply won't have someone govern them who doesn't believe the same things they do. After all, SC boasts an impressive 93% religious population. The result is that every politician and their mother is in favor of "family values", that ill-defined catchphrase that gets the Southern Baptists to swarm behind you like you're the second coming. So when it turns out that these politicians are just average human beings, they fall far short of the standard they set for themselves in order to get elected. The affair only makes me mad because it casts a shadow on everyone in his state, everyone in his party, and everyone in his religion. Politically, I can understand why he was forced into the position of being a hypocrite.

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Besides what it says for his ethical character, his hypocrisy also adds insult to injury for all the queers who have suffered under his leadership.
I believe you're talking about Amendment 1, which is a tragedy. It's unconstitutional on a federal level, but some married gay couple has to move down here to challenge it.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:YES THE STIMULUS PACKAGE IS TO BLAME FOR MARK SANFORD TRAVELING BACK IN TIME TO BEGIN THIS AFFAIR BEFORE THE PASSING OF THE STIMULUS PACKAGE

WHAT THE FUCK RUSH YOU FAT FUCKING IDIOT

You know, the least he could do was make up a better excuse, like Sanford was conducting an International Trade Delegation on behalf of S. Carolina. After all, we've seen that Stephen Colbert is quite capable of running the state. He didn't fuck anything up in the approximately 42 seconds his self-crowned reign went on.

But you know what the whole problem with this story is. It's got the sex, Argentina can certainly land the drugs, but where the fuck is the rock n roll? How dare Governor Sanford conduct his affair is such an unamerican manner. Look, she was hot, and the conservatives are due for getting away with fucking a hot chick ever since Kennedy banged Monroe.

TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:19 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:WHAT THE FUCK RUSH YOU FAT FUCKING IDIOT

As long as Diadem has your ear, I'd also point out that insulting people over their body shape is not PC. I trust you to be someone who knows that PC is a good thing.

apeman5291 wrote:
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Besides what it says for his ethical character, his hypocrisy also adds insult to injury for all the queers who have suffered under his leadership.
I believe you're talking about Amendment 1, which is a tragedy. It's unconstitutional on a federal level, but some married gay couple has to move down here to challenge it.

I honestly didn't have any idea what anti-gay legislation he was attached to. I just took it for granted that the family values candidate was not a crusader for human rights.
Not even sporange.

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:37 am UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:WHAT THE FUCK RUSH YOU FAT FUCKING IDIOT

As long as Diadem has your ear, I'd also point out that insulting people over their body shape is not PC. I trust you to be someone who knows that PC is a good thing.

Language is a tool, and I like to think that there are no good or bad uses of that tool, only things that will be interpreted by an audience (whether intentionally or unintentionally) a certain way. This use of language was probably intended to induce shock into the audience (here Rush Limbaugh), and being "not PC" is an effective means to do so.

apeman5291 wrote:

I honestly didn't have any idea what anti-gay legislation he was attached to. I just took it for granted that the family values candidate was not a crusader for human rights.
Really? You were right in this case, but in the future at least know what you're talking about if you're going to make accusations. (And just FYI, that amendment was his main thing on gay marriage. As far as I know, he left the issue alone except for then.)

TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:58 am UTC

apeman5291 wrote:Language is a tool, and I like to think that there are no good or bad uses of that tool, only things that will be interpreted by an audience (whether intentionally or unintentionally) a certain way. This use of language was probably intended to induce shock into the audience (here Rush Limbaugh), and being "not PC" is an effective means to do so.

Really? If somebody made a secondary interpretation of "you are less of a person because you are not skinny," you wouldn't think that that is a bad use?

I mean, we can take it for granted that language has to be interpreted to have meaning. I don't see how it follows from this that no use of language can be bad.

apeman5291 wrote:Really? You were right in this case, but in the future at least know what you're talking about if you're going to make accusations. (And just FYI, that amendment was his main thing on gay marriage. As far as I know, he left the issue alone except for then.)

If he had done nothing concerning gay marriage whatsoever, he would have been perhaps better than politicians on average, but he would still be lagging far behind most of the members of this board would be in his office. I don't like it when elected leaders (fucking governors) care less about human rights than a random gathering of Intertubians, and it's especially grating to me when they can't keep themselves up to the standards that they use to justify failing at equality.

And, sure, I didn't know which legislation he signed or didn't sign specifically, but I assumed with a high degree of confidence that he was at most living up to the standard of neutrality that I criticized last paragraph. As the saying goes, even a broken clock can be set on a sundial. Or something like that.
Not even sporange.

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:10 am UTC

apeman5291 wrote:Language is a tool, and I like to think that there are no good or bad uses of that tool, only things that will be interpreted by an audience (whether intentionally or unintentionally) a certain way. This use of language was probably intended to induce shock into the audience (here Rush Limbaugh), and being "not PC" is an effective means to do so.

Really? If somebody made a secondary interpretation of "you are less of a person because you are not skinny," you wouldn't think that that is a bad use?

Of course it's bad use. Someone who is not skinny is quite obviously more of a person.

TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:15 am UTC

I hate you for making me laugh at that.
Not even sporange.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:28 am UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:I hate you for making me laugh at that.

Don't worry, Rush is less of a person regardless of weight. He fucking flunked out of South East Missouri State. Let's just say that, well, in terms of accomplishments. He's accomplished more by doing that than their football team ever has.

Return to “News & Articles”