I need a Game Recommendation

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

kinigget

Re: Lovecraftian Games

Postby kinigget » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

one word: eversion.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Kaeyn

Postby Kaeyn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:15 pm UTC

kinigget wrote:one word: eversion.

Oh, dear GOD. I can never finish that game, I get too jumpy after area five.

I've got the game Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for the original Xbox. I heard that it was really good and that it was scary, but I was really disappointed. It isn't scary at all, it's just a series of glitchy action sequences, and the game ends up suffering from Indigo Prophecy Syndrome. I think.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

There's also Yahtzee Croshaw's Chzo Mythos. It's freeware, and although 5 Days A Stranger and 7 Days a Skeptic are more slasher type, from what I've seen Trilby's Notes is more Lovecraftian.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:00 am UTC

Kaeyn wrote:I've got the game Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for the original Xbox. I heard that it was really good and that it was scary, but I was really disappointed. It isn't scary at all, it's just a series of glitchy action sequences, and the game ends up suffering from Indigo Prophecy Syndrome. I think.

So you're complaining about ancient cults worshipping dark gods in a game based on Lovecraftian mythos (Specifically, The Shadow over Innsmouth, Call of Cthulhu is not based on Call of Cthulhu)? What is wrong with you?

Kaeyn

Postby Kaeyn » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:52 am UTC

What the hell are you getting at?? I'm saying that it's a bad game that isn't fun to play, I don't give a shit about the story if it's a bad game!

Lewton

Postby Lewton » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:05 pm UTC

Kaeyn wrote:I've got the game Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for the original Xbox. I heard that it was really good and that it was scary, but I was really disappointed. It isn't scary at all, it's just a series of glitchy action sequences, and the game ends up suffering from Indigo Prophecy Syndrome. I think.

I don't imagine that game works well on xbox, it's hard enough with a mouse and a keyboard

I thought it was an amazing game. Captured the whole vibe perfectly

Semidi

Postby Semidi » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

If you don't mind text based games, Anchorhead is a pretty good Lovecraft inspired game. (link) http://www.wurb.com/if/game/17.html
"If you can't imagine how anyone could hold a view you are attacking, you just don't understand it yet."

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

A friend of mine has Arkham Horror, and some expansions too, and I occasionally gather some frinds at my place to play. It's great fun even if you're not into this kind of stuff. I highly recommend it.

Sir-Taco

Postby Sir-Taco » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

Alright, I'll go grab AH. Two more of my friends got into HPL due to the usual short story format he follows (Dagon, amazing to put so much in so little) and were all itching to try to see if we can survive AH. I really hope they release an "At the Mountains of Maddness" expansion after this current "Innsmouth Horror" release.
The world is a cold and dark place, so start fire.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

By the way, what pseudoidiot said about space requirements is very true.

psion

Postby psion » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

It has an awkward balance of stealth, action and puzzles. I gave up at around the refinery, then came back a year later and forced myself through it. Once I got used to it I rather enjoyed the rest of the game. I had to look up several parts to figure out what I needed to do though. Indigo Prophecy Syndrome? I thought the ending was pretty good.

Adam182

Re: Recommend ME a game (Merged:Several Similar Threads)

Postby Adam182 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:56 am UTC

A few good games:

Civ 4
Bioshock
Red Orchestra
Supreme Commander
KOTOR 2
Oblivion

Lewton

Postby Lewton » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

I just remember the Penumbra series.. Great survival horror games, aiming for the whole lovecraftian vibe

Something Awesome

Postby Something Awesome » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:49 pm UTC

The card game is in the same vein as Magic, though they've changed over to the "Living" Card Game style (they release small fixed packs of cards every few months or so), though you can still find some of the old booster packs. Mechanically, it's an interesting game where you play characters and monsters and such in an effort to win "stories." In terms of flavor, the illustrations are really neat and they all reference the Mythos in some way. The trouble is finding people to play with; CCGs aren't everyone's cup of tea, though you don't have to invest in it as much as others of the type.

There's also the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game, which is quite good, but with same caveat regarding tea.

Aldarion

Re: I need a Game Recommendation (Recently renamed)

Postby Aldarion » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

Being a classical geek (and thus having no life), I'm constantly bored to near-death on breaks.
I've tried to keep myself [at least clinically] alive by playing sprouts, tic-tac-toe and whatnot, but it seems that my split personality circuit is buggy, so I know every move I'm going to make, which makes losing to myself even more humiliating than one would expect.
Could you recommend me some (more or less) pencil-and-paper solitaire games, preferrably ones that wouldn't require me to tear out a new page for each session?
My life (or sanity, which for me is the same) depends on it.
I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

There's always the old math game where you pick four digits from 0-9 and try to find ways of combining them to get every digit from 1-100.

I first encountered the problem with four 4's. 44/4 plus the square root of 4 = 13, and so on.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:43 am UTC

Sir-Taco wrote:Alright, I'll go grab AH. Two more of my friends got into HPL due to the usual short story format he follows (Dagon, amazing to put so much in so little) and were all itching to try to see if we can survive AH. I really hope they release an "At the Mountains of Maddness" expansion after this current "Innsmouth Horror" release.

Just jumped in this thread to say that Arkham Horror is awesome. I totally recommend the Dunwich and Innsmouth Horror expansions as those really crank up the intensity and add a lot of variety. Last I heard though their not making anymore of the big box expansions, so I wouldn't hold your breath for a Mountains of Madness one (though that would be pretty awesome). Maybe could work as a separate standalone map? I'm not sure how that could integrate into the current gameplay though honestly.

sparks

Postby sparks » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:19 pm UTC

I want to buy a Wii game, but don't actually know what to get. I think Zelda would be fun, but I currently can't afford to buy any more controllers, so I only have the nunchucks that come with the console. Also, I'm in Europe, so something that has been released over here, preferrably. I'm not into playing RPGs on the Wii (that's what the computer is for, yo. Besides, it's on my living room and I don't want to spend hours on end monopolising the television). The boxing game in Wii Sports and the tennis one were fun. Puzzles are fun, too, but with the difficulty I have moving around the control properly, it might not be a good idea unless it has a huge space of manoeuvre and doesn't require very precise remote movements. I once played that surgery game, the Second Opinion or whatever it's called, and it was fun. On the other hand, stuff like that cooking game isn't so much my thing but if it's fun I'll play it. I also don't want overly childish stuff. Platform games and shooters are fine with me, but like I said, only if it's playable with nunchucks without losing 50 times before getting the hang of it. I was thinking along the lines of tennis/fighting/arcade/shooting/platform games.
(icon by clockwork-harlequin.net)
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." ~ Oscar Wilde

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:37 pm UTC

Metroid Prime 3 was a pretty decent game. Very little of it felt tedious and the combat and puzzles were nearly as good as the first one.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:14 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Metroid Prime 3 was a pretty decent game. Very little of it felt tedious and the combat and puzzles were nearly as good as the first one.
But of course a purchase of Metroid Prime 3 at present would be ill-advised, what with the imminent release of the excellently-priced trilogy bundle.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

I can recommend either The Ghostbusters Game or Infamous, as both of those have occupied my time over the last 2 weeks rather well.
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

Anyone ever play Uplink Hacker Elite? I thought it was tons of fun, if pretty narrow in scope and suffering from poor design. There's another hacking game I tried, but didn't give enough effort to, and was wondering if anyone can suggest me some fun, not overly technical hacking simulation games?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

Decker is good, though I don't know what the 'hacking' games you've played entail. This one is basically just a dressed up dungeon crawl.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

I understand the ancient Neuromancer DOS game is not without its charms.

Beneath a Steel Sky also has a fairly trippy hacking element (in which a bald, naked purple version of the player sprite wanders through an abstract landscape), but it is by no means a major component of the game.

For that matter, there's always Tron 2.0, too.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:52 am UTC

So a friend and I were discussing neverwinter nights. I have never played NWN, but apparently its combat system is KOTOR-ish? Anyway, he pointed out that in 4e D&D you're usually doing powers, etc, rarely just a basic attack, and so a system that does a lot of repeat actions like that one wouldn't work. So we started talking about tactical RPGs and I remembered how much I love FFTA.

Is there a good tactics-type game (the RPG part is cool but not necessary) for PC? Preferably turn based. Civilization sprang to mind, but I don't want a nation-simulator type of thing, I'm looking more for...chess, I guess. But with cooler-looking stuff. Maybe I should just pick up a GBA emulator and play FFTA again. (I lost my real copy.)
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:31 am UTC

For a great PC TBS, you don't even have to pay any money. Battle for Wesnoth is an hex grid-based open source TBS with a high fantasy theme.
Last edited by aion7 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:26 am UTC

Goldstein wrote:Decker is good, though I don't know what the 'hacking' games you've played entail. This one is basically just a dressed up dungeon crawl.
Jorpho wrote:I understand the ancient Neuromancer DOS game is not without its charms.

Beneath a Steel Sky also has a fairly trippy hacking element (in which a bald, naked purple version of the player sprite wanders through an abstract landscape), but it is by no means a major component of the game.

For that matter, there's always Tron 2.0, too.
Mm, I haven't played any of those games, but from what I can tell their gameplay is pretty radically different from the hacking in Uplink. Uplink involves something more like "actual" hacking, although obviously with a much glossier and very simplified interface. You don't really have a "character" or avatar in the world. Instead, you're interacting with a simulated internet, connecting to faux IPs, running password crackers, scanning for exploits, deleting log files, collecting software, things like that.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

pancake bunny

Postby pancake bunny » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:40 am UTC

i need a xbox game that has good single player but also decent mp i have COD:WaW
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:24 am UTC

diotimajsh wrote:Mm, I haven't played any of those games, but from what I can tell their gameplay is pretty radically different from the hacking in Uplink. Uplink involves something more like "actual" hacking, although obviously with a much glossier and very simplified interface. You don't really have a "character" or avatar in the world. Instead, you're interacting with a simulated internet, connecting to faux IPs, running password crackers, scanning for exploits, deleting log files, collecting software, things like that.
Well, they're not overly technical, at least.

I came across this thing called J.D. Spy going through some of my old archives just now. Sounds pretty cool, if you don't mind the lack of graphics - and if you were playing Uplink, why would you?
http://ascii.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ ... jdspy.html

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:21 pm UTC

pancake bunny wrote:i need a xbox game that has good single player but also decent mp i have COD:WaW

What do you like in a game? What don't you like?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pancake bunny

Postby pancake bunny » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

i don't really care mabye a fps
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

pancake bunny wrote:i don't really care mabye a fps

First, punctuation. Second, if you don't really care and just want an Xbox FPS, you couldn't walk down the street without tripping on one. Without specifics, all we can really say is this.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

pancake bunny wrote:i don't really care mabye a fps

1: Any other genres you'd be interested in?
2: What price are you willing to pay?
3: What types of FPS games do you like? It helps us to know what you'd be into.
4: As hpc said, please use correct puctuation.
Signatures are for chumps.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

Hey I just found the game series Space Empires (1-5?! JEeeeez).

I've been looking around but can't find a whole lot of info, can anyone tell me how these games compare to MOO:2, Pax Imperia, etc., like games? I.e., will I dig 'em? Which was the best?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I've been looking around but can't find a whole lot of info, can anyone tell me how these games compare to MOO:2, Pax Imperia, etc., like games? I.e., will I dig 'em? Which was the best?
What an oddly specific question. They surely have demo versions you can try.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:02 pm UTC

Sure. And he can also ask someone who owns the full game(s) and can give an informed opinion. Which is kinda the point of the thread.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Hey I just found the game series Space Empires (1-5?! JEeeeez).

I've been looking around but can't find a whole lot of info, can anyone tell me how these games compare to MOO:2, Pax Imperia, etc., like games? I.e., will I dig 'em? Which was the best?

Space empires 1-2 is closest to MOO:1 and older space-conquest games. Space empires 3-4 is much closer to MOO:2, being just further refinements on the earlier games. Space empires 5 is considered the worst of the series, its just a thin graphical upgrade that tends to slow down the pace of the game, along with a slew of game mechanics that don't really work all too well, similar to MOO:3

All 3 of them are turn-based, and if I had to suggest anything, I'd say go for space empires 4. It has the most fan-support, good inherent balance, passable graphics. I've bought 2 through 5, and four is the only one I still play. If I had to draw a direct comparison between games, I'd say its most similar to galactic civilizations 1 or 2, with more of a choke-point methodology (galciv lets enemies bypass your fleets with impunity. In the SE series you can either dump a fleet on a warp point, or drop fighters there, or fill it with mines to stop the enemy).

xkcijik

Postby xkcijik » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:48 am UTC

Call of Duty is definitly what you need to have first :D
My Recent Blogs :D

My Games List

My Game Blog Welcome to comment your opinions :)

My Twitter http://twitter.com/leagendry

zedaid

Postby zedaid » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

I'm unsure if this would be up your alley, but Half Life 2 is a really tense shooter that should run just fine on your computer at or near its highest settings. Just don't go playing it with the lights off and no one else in the house.
Super Reality Television: The reason demons shouldn't be allowed to get bored. http://superrealitytv.com

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

Thanks cog

Return to “Gaming”