England Smoking Ban

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Nuclear Spoon

England Smoking Ban

Postby Nuclear Spoon » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:14 am UTC

Started today \o/. People will no longer be allowed to smoke in a public enclosed space.

Inevitably people will be bitching about how they have their rights to smoke, conveniently omitting the fact that the majority, who do not smoke, also have the right to not smell of crap after a night out, and have a right not to inhale the same carcinogenic fumes.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6258034.stm
www.gaming4charity.org

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:21 am UTC

I am happy about this. Today is a joyous day.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:23 am UTC

In Australia, it is illegal to smoke within 4 meters of a building entrance.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:24 am UTC

I love Australia.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:27 am UTC

It's also now illegal to smoke inside pubs and clubs. *Praises $deity*

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:46 am UTC

It's illegal to smoke in a public enclosed space in NZ too. Is this a law that you copied from us? Lots of people will bitch though. It's hard to fight a tradition like that.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:48 am UTC

People will bitch. But it was done in Scotland a while back and worked effectively. So I reckon they'll get used to it.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:11 am UTC

Yeah, seems good. There are a few problems, but only really small ones. Like Hookah bars being illegal, though the only reason people go there is to smoke, wtf?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

the human perl script

Postby the human perl script » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:27 am UTC

I love this. Not that I've got anything against smokers. Hell, with all the tax they pay, I'm all for it. I just don't want to have to suffer for their stupidity. Ever.

tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby tessuraea » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:57 am UTC

We did this in Maine.

It seems to have gone well... no huge repercussions.

And I am a much happier person because of it. I don't hate smokers--I just don't like having to breathe secondhand smoke. All my friends who smoke are very polite about it and wouldn't dream of lighting up in my house or my car. They wouldn't even *ask*.

Whenever I visit my in-laws down South and we go out to eat and have to request the non-smoking section I feel something like culture shock.
This is not a reference to anyone's junk.

elminster

Postby elminster » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:12 pm UTC

Man, im going down the pub on Tuesday... surely gonna be the first time i ever been in a smoke free pub... i wonder what its gonna smell like.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:21 pm UTC

Yeah we have had this law for a while. the biggest complaint came from people who go to clubs, complaining that now they smell of sweat and piss rather than smoke. Well I don't care about that, I love this law, no more smoky places!
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:12 pm UTC

I didn't really notice a huge difference in pubs, but I was shocked the first time I went a gig after the ban. A friend and I were musing about how the air seemed clearer and we could see the stage a lot better than normal but only when we left did we realise it was due to no smoke in the air. Then we felt sick at how much we must have been breathing in before.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:18 pm UTC

elminster wrote:Man, im going down the pub on Tuesday... surely gonna be the first time i ever been in a smoke free pub... i wonder what its gonna smell like.

Unfortunately I think it might be a while until the furnishings will be aired. It might smell a bit of stale smoke.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:25 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote: It might smell a bit of stale smoke.

And farts. Lots and lots of beery farts.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Nuclear Spoon

Postby Nuclear Spoon » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

davef wrote:
bigglesworth wrote: It might smell a bit of stale smoke.

And farts. Lots and lots of beery farts.

At least it only rapes your nose as opposed to nose and lungs.

www.gaming4charity.org

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:32 pm UTC

We tried this in Pennsylvania a little while ago. I was very happy.

It was repealed 6 hours later. I was very saddened.

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:34 pm UTC

Ohio recently implemented the indoor smoking ban. As a non-smoking lover of restaurants, I was well-pleased.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

It's been in force in Ireland for a couple of years now. I think we were the first to implement it. People bitched and moaned for a while, then everybody got used to going outside for a smoke. And I think people soon began holding in their farts until they went outside or to the toilet. At the start, it was just... awful. B.O. and farts, and no AC. :shock:

Any smoking ban, anywhere, gets a huge thumbs-up from me.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:39 pm UTC

I support this and hope it works!

DID YOU KNOW!
A bus shelter with three walls and a roof counts as enclosed public space, but a bus shelter with just one wall and a roof does not!
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:05 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:We tried this in Pennsylvania a little while ago. I was very happy.

They couldn't go 6 hours without a smoke?

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:21 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
joeframbach wrote:We tried this in Pennsylvania a little while ago. I was very happy.

They couldn't go 6 hours without a smoke?
The details of the bill were drafted by very-highly-paid jackasses (the same guys who voted themselves a raise in the middle of the night a while ago). Anyway, apparently the bill contradicted itself in some places or some crap like that. They passed it into law and someone spoke up 6 hours later, pointed out these problems, and they repealed it.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:25 pm UTC

No public smoking in Ontario, either.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

MurdocRocks

Postby MurdocRocks » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:41 pm UTC

Am I the only one who thinks this is wrong? Since when should the government have the right to say you can't smoke on private property?

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:42 pm UTC

davef wrote:It's been in force in Ireland for a couple of years now. I think we were the first to implement it.

Ireland was the first whole country to enact a smoking ban, but (according to Wikipedia) California had a ban since 1998.

Here in Ottawa, we've had one of Canada's first and (when enacted) strictest smoking bans in place since 2001, which has since been superceded by the Ontario and Quebec provincial smoking bans which came into effect last summer.

The Canadian bans were largely driven by Heather Crowe, a nonsmoking bar worker who got lung cancer and campaigned heavily for these bans before she died from it last year.

As part of the Ontario ban, stores are no longer allowed to have "Power wall" displays of cigarettes and cigarette packaging behind the counter. Additionally, the Supreme Court of Canada in the last few days upheld the 1997 law severely restricting tobacco advertising (including sponsorship of events), and requiring half the front of each cigarette package to have a graphic warning about the dangers of cigarette smoking.

This 1997 law followed a Supreme Court decision striking down a 1995 absolute ban on cigarette advertising as unconstitutional.

The more you know!

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:51 pm UTC

MurdocRocks wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this is wrong? Since when should the government have the right to say you can't smoke on private property?

Do you have the right to put toxins in the air, endangering those around you, simply because you enjoy doing so? It's akin to putting a hazardous airborne disease into the air conditioning. The only difference is the disease might kill me in a few days, whereas your smoke will take a few years. There's a point at which government needs to step in and say "look, for the public good, stop that shit. Nobody except you wants it."

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

MurdocRocks wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this is wrong? Since when should the government have the right to say you can't smoke on private property?

When you say private property, do you mean privately owned or do you mean accessible only by invitation?

If you mean the latter, then I agree with you. But that does not describe restaurants, bars, and other work places, where non-smokers should not have to be poisoned to enjoy the establishment or perform their jobs.
...the whim of a hat.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:05 pm UTC

Yeah, I should clarify that I meant privately owned, such as bars, and not necessarily private homes. (Though if you smoke around children, I'm not opposed to you being visited by child protection.)

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:18 pm UTC

This brings up something I've been wanting to discuss for a little while. Everybody! Go to this threadI just made!
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:40 pm UTC

fuck that bullshit

dumbclown

Postby dumbclown » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:53 pm UTC

I don't smoke but I use to live with a bunch of smokers. They got their hands on a 5kg bag of chop. There were people smoking it 24 hours a day. Took about 2 months for them to smoke it all. We had random people coming off the street and doing their bit to finish off the bag. Ever since then smoking has never bothered me. A lot of the smokers I know wear patches or chew gum when they go to the pub now. None of them were that bothered by the ban.

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

I like the pub in England that became an embassy (one of it's patrons has his own country) and therefore is foreign soil and they can smoke and not charge VAT.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

Beetlesworth

Postby Beetlesworth » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:03 pm UTC

I think I heard something about the guy who did it falling on his arse because the government didn't recognise it as a seperate country to whereever it was near. It almost worked /sigh. : /

Also, I don't know how true that is and I really can't be bothered to check it out at the moment. By way of excuse, I'm digesting quite a large amount of steak at the moment and therefore only have the capacity to post poorly thought replies in forums and nap.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:33 pm UTC

Rat wrote:fuck that bullshit
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

peace

Postby peace » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:04 am UTC

I have smoked one or two cigarettes. I wouldn't think of ever smoking in a building. (plus I have quit all that for now)

edit: tess, where are you from? I have a cottage in harpswell, but am familiar with all of costal/some inland places of maine

electoralfraud
BRUTALLY Bolshy!

Postby electoralfraud » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:14 am UTC

As a smoker I love the ban. I've wanted to give up for ages now, but I always re-lapse when I go out for a drink with my smoking friends. Now I can give up and not have my bastard friends blowing smoke in my face when I go for a drink.

I think as opposed to complaining, many smokers will be in favor of the ban for reasons similar to mine. What smoker hasn't run for the bus and wished they didn't have lungs like tar-pits when they collapsed after the 20metre sprint? I'll be glad to get back to a good level of fitness and health (and not stink and taste like an ashtray), and have the legislation to help me stick with it.

I'm going out and buying patches tomorrow :D
Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

MurdocRocks

Postby MurdocRocks » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:29 am UTC

the Cow wrote:

When you say private property, do you mean privately owned or do you mean accessible only by invitation?

If you mean the latter, then I agree with you. But that does not describe restaurants, bars, and other work places, where non-smokers should not have to be poisoned to enjoy the establishment or perform their jobs.

My point is that in a restaurant or bar, it should really be the choice of the owners whether to allow smoking or not. I can certainly agree with a publicly owned property, but not when it comes to private property.

And with the issue of secondhand smoke, I do believe that the actual health effects are greatly exaggerated, though I'm not completely caught up on the studies. And even if it is hazardous to your health, it's pretty random to pick out smoking when you could claim many other things as well. I'm pretty sure there's been research on the carcinogenic effects of barbequed food, should we ban that because your food might have been cooked on the same grill?

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:17 am UTC

yeah im kinda looking forward to going out sometime soon to enjoy being able to breath while I have a drink.. unfortunatly the new P-plate laws were just brought in yesterday.. so my dear red p-plater friends can only drive home one drunk at a time... this is going to cost us dearly in petrol money.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:42 am UTC

I just want them to ban smoking on higher education campuses... that would be awesome. But yeah, this is good anyway.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:51 am UTC

bans been going fine in wlaes for a few months now, might be a different story when we get to the middle of winter though.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Return to “General”