0634: "Date"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

root

0634: "Date"

Postby root » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:00 am UTC

alt-text: Well, the kid's definitely getting the biology geek phenotype.

quadmaster

Re: "Date" Discussion

Postby quadmaster » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:01 am UTC

Yay genealogy! first p0st!!!!!1!!1! I is so hax
Actually, 8th grade science has left me with an eternal hatred for punnett squares.
Last edited by quadmaster on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:06 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I... I didn't do it.
<- he did it, I swear

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:01 am UTC

I've done this on a first date before. In my head. God damn my dominant genes, it ruins my chances with redheads.

Hi joee.

edit: did anyone else notice the smudging near the text at the bottom of the image? :|
Last edited by glasnt on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

grapefruit1

Postby grapefruit1 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:03 am UTC

We did punnett squares in science today!

My first "Randall, get out of my head!" moment. :D I thought the day would never come.
"If someone asks you, 'Are you ticklish?', it doesn't matter whether you answer yes or no. They're going to touch you."
- Demetri Martin

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:05 am UTC

Great comic! But aren't Punnett Squares a bit simplistic for actual biologists?

If it were me, I would do a full DNA test. After this step, of course.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:06 am UTC

He must not be talking red-green colorblindess (the most common type), since that's X-linked, and he wouldn't be able to be a "carrier" of it without actually being colorblind.

But I digress, I did find the comic to be amusing.

dasada122

Postby dasada122 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:07 am UTC

Ya know, if people always did this first, the human race would be vastly improved.

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:11 am UTC

So if my mom and my sister both had blonde hair that faded to brunette, and my dad has dark brown hair, while I have dark brown hair with quite a bit of red to it, what does that suggest about my genetic likelyhood of having a redhead kid?
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

dasada122

Postby dasada122 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:12 am UTC

Kain wrote:So if my mom and my sister both had blonde hair that faded to brunette, and my dad has dark brown hair, while I have dark brown hair with quite a bit of red to it, what does that suggest about my genetic likelyhood of having a redhead kid?

"If a train leaves Cleveland at 8:00 AM going 50 mph..."

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:13 am UTC

dasada122 wrote:
Kain wrote:So if my mom and my sister both had blonde hair that faded to brunette, and my dad has dark brown hair, while I have dark brown hair with quite a bit of red to it, what does that suggest about my genetic likelyhood of having a redhead kid?

"If a train leaves Cleveland at 8:00 AM going 50 mph..."

It will derail before it reaches the next city. Thanks Amtrak.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

lazybratsche

Postby lazybratsche » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:14 am UTC

Geneticist here -- I laughed. The Punnett squares are a bit simplistic (most real biologists can figure out far more complicated crosses in their heads), but otherwise it holds. This one goes up on my lab bench.

ETA: got burned by the filter. Oh well...
Last edited by lazybratsche on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:14 am UTC

Neither hair color nor eye color are easy Punnett squares to make. I'm fairly certain we don't fully understand all the genes that go into each. Certainly not as easy as green or yellow peas.

Or were you just joking around, as indicated by the above posts?

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:16 am UTC

After dinner the date progresses into going to one of the biologist's houses in order to spend a romantic evening creating cuttlefish. I really like the image that this comic makes for us wacky bio majors.

Simon17

Postby Simon17 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:18 am UTC

Boring comic. Don't quit your day job, randy.

...Oh shiii-

By the way, since I am the world's biggest geek, I am completely nude right now.
Randall, get out of my trunk!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:18 am UTC

An xkcd relating to human reproduction? How novel.
And by novel I mean quaint.

I like punnett squares. I wish Darwin had known about them.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Simon17

Postby Simon17 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:21 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:An xkcd relating to human reproduction? How novel.
And by novel I mean MORE LIKE SEXKCD.

joee

Postby joee » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:27 am UTC

hey glasnt

i was never a bio person, so I don't get this. But I approve of geeky first dates
Hi glasnt.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:34 am UTC

I've never done Punnett squares, per se, but I definitely am aware of which genes I'll pass along to my kids as a result of high school biology... I feel sorry for my future kids.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:43 am UTC

Simon17 wrote:[misquote="Eternal Density"]An xkcd relating to human reproduction? How novel.
And by novel I mean MORE LIKE SEXKCD.
[/misquote]
That doesn't make grammatical sense. How can one say 'How more like sexkcd'?
Not cool, not funny, not a good post.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Simon17

Postby Simon17 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:52 am UTC

You're absolutely right. How could I have been so stupid? That was just silly. Let me give it another shot:

Eternal Density wrote:An xkcd relating to human reproduction? How novel.
And by novel I mean not novel

I was employing a literary technique known as irony, because I said the opposite of what I meant.

pgn674

Postby pgn674 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:52 am UTC

I've traveled here from the year 1985 to say this: Again the setup of the comic remminds me of Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. Not that that's a bad thing, I enjoy SMBC a bunch too. It's just interesting to think I'm noticing an influence in Randal's work here.

iabervon

Postby iabervon » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:59 am UTC

I also noticed that he's failing to note that colorblindness is sex-linked (not to mention that colorblind women are quite rare). And he ought to note what kind of colorblindness he has, since, if he's got protanomoly and she's not colorblind, they could have a tetrachromatic daughter.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:12 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:He must not be talking red-green colorblindess (the most common type), since that's X-linked, and he wouldn't be able to be a "carrier" of it without actually being colorblind.

Through talking to other people, stick man can know about the color green even if he can't see it. He can even use a green light to see red writing.*

quadmaster wrote:Yay genealogy! first p0st!!!!!1!!1! I is so hax
Actually, 8th grade science has left me with an eternal hatred for punnett squares.
Last edited by quadmaster on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:06 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

That is all.

*not verified; but red should show up black in green light. Helpful unless they are completely blind to green light.
Did you get the number on that truck?

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:12 am UTC

Well, I haven't touched biology weirdness since high school, but I still got this. Better than Monday's but the cheese today was only lightly toasted.
Wow, punnet squares... there's something I 'd hoped never to see again.

glasnt wrote:edit: did anyone else notice the smudging near the text at the bottom of the image? :|

Yeah, I saw that. It looks like Randall had a good idea but erased it in favor of a better one.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:17 am UTC

Trivia: 30% of 30% is 9%. Now you know.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:33 am UTC

pgn674 wrote: Again the setup of the comic remminds me of Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.

A single frame with dialogue and an interesting caption is a typical style for a Farside comic too, but I doubt it's an influential force on this comic.

astrogirl4242

Postby astrogirl4242 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:39 am UTC

long time reader first time poster...

need to say: get out of my head randall... like seriously; was doing this in bio today, have my eye on a red head, and have the gene for green eyes...

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:44 am UTC

It depends on what color the milkman's is.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:52 am UTC

Joke is too highschool imo.

Was not amused.
~= scwizard =~

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:52 am UTC

dennisw wrote:

It depends on what color the milkman's is.

Oh Snap! lol

The comic gets a 7/10.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:28 am UTC

I rather liked it, actually. Simon17, Protip: It is a common affect among the young to display studious disinterest or faux ennui. Though an attempt to seem more mature, it usually has the opposite of its intended effect. Also, I have nipples.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Al-pocalypse

Postby Al-pocalypse » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:06 am UTC

A truely 'Get out of my head Randall' moment!

My girlfriend and I were actually doing this last night! And figured out that with our mix of genetics that almost anything is possible in our offspring! I dread to think what the results will eventually be!
Ali ;)

"If I were creating a world I wouldn't mess around with butterflies and daffodiles. I'd have started with lasers, eight o'clock, day one!"
[BOOM!]
"...sorry..."

Caffeinated

Postby Caffeinated » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:49 am UTC

Definitely a 'get out of my head' comic, yes.

Tell me I'm not the only girl that sits home at night and maps out the genetics of my ideal mate.

WholeLottaSean

Postby WholeLottaSean » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:26 am UTC

Red hair and green eyes sounds like Harry Potter's mum. Do these people know that one of their daughters will be a witch? Bet they didn't see that coming, not even with Punnett squares.

dedev

Postby dedev » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:29 am UTC

"We should mate."

"What?!"

"Date! I said we should date sometime. Socially."

RandAlThor

Postby RandAlThor » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:21 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:Through talking to other people, stick man can know about the color green even if he can't see it. He can even use a green light to see red writing.*

*not verified; but red should show up black in green light. Helpful unless they are completely blind to green light.

Colour blind people can still see reds and greens, you know. They just see them in a slightly different tone to you. There's no actual blindness.

fapfapfap

Postby fapfapfap » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:13 am UTC

RandAlThor wrote:
phillipsjk wrote:Through talking to other people, stick man can know about the color green even if he can't see it. He can even use a green light to see red writing.*

Colour blind people can still see reds and greens, you know. They just see them in a slightly different tone to you. There's no actual blindness.

What he said, I'm colourblind myself, I know. Innit.

Al-pocalypse

Postby Al-pocalypse » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:13 am UTC

fapfapfap wrote:
RandAlThor wrote:

What he said, I'm colourblind myself, I know. Innit.

AFAIK there are different severities of colourblindness. I have a friend who is and he sees reds/greens as 'shades of gray' in his terms. What is interesting though, is the first time he sees a shade of red or green it throws him. but if you describe it too him he can then pick it up next time, which means that he can often tell the colours behind a black and white photograph. Also, strangely, he is very good at telling what colours clash!
Ali ;)

"If I were creating a world I wouldn't mess around with butterflies and daffodiles. I'd have started with lasers, eight o'clock, day one!"
[BOOM!]
"...sorry..."

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:20 am UTC

For some reason, I don't like his use of the word disintegrate. I think degenerate or deteriorate would have been better word choices.

But that's just me...
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

CameoAppearance

Postby CameoAppearance » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:33 am UTC

Clashing colours usually clash because they're too similar to each other (in, uh... value? I think that's it, since it's not hue and it's not saturation), to the best of my knowledge; I find that if two colours I'm using together are clashing, they'll show up as very similar shades of grey in a greyscale'd screenshot.
Last edited by CameoAppearance on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I need a better signature.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”