0637: "Scribblenauts"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Munzapoppa

Re: "Scribblenauts" Discussion

Postby Munzapoppa » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:26 am UTC

Crap, my dad told me yesterday that he bought this game as a Christmas present for my brother. Now I can't try the things in this comic until December. Randall, get out of my head!

Sonja

Postby Sonja » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:18 am UTC

And to think, I was excited when I learned I could summon a llama yesterday when I first started playing. But the LHC? Sweet!

civver

Postby civver » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:48 am UTC

Kids game? Because of the art? Anyway, I think it's a neat game. Marks the first time I was ever excited for a game on a Nintendo System. I wish I had it, if I had the money.
Scientific knowledge is the heritage of all mankind.

-Abdus Salam, Pakistani physicist, won the 1979 Nobel Prize in Physics for contributions to electroweak theory.

haliblix

Postby haliblix » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:57 am UTC

Watched this video I was sold. But now that the LHC makes an appearance I have no choice. It seems you can summon and use a time machine and even summon youtube meme's. I can't wait to play it!

p314rat

Postby p314rat » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:28 pm UTC

As I first read it, the girl had summoned herself in the last panel. That's why there are 2 of her.

After reading the alt-text, I guess the last panel is supposed to be 2 panels?

I found my reading a little more satisfying. The guy ends up the butt of the jokes all the damn time, and it seemed entertaining to have the girl self-hoisted as it were. Now it's just a bit too predictable.

QuarterToTomorrow

Postby QuarterToTomorrow » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:45 pm UTC

nomulous wrote:Not sure if the part about the LHC and black holes in this game is true or not, but if it is, then shame on the makers of that game for inspiring fear in the general public when there already is too much. The LHC will not create a black hole, and as far as we know it is not dangerous in any conceivable way.

How about you discover the Higgs Boson when you summon it instead of destroying our precious earth, huh?

WRONG. The LHC probably will create a black hole. Just one that's 10-34m in diameter. And it wasn't created just to find the Higgs boson; that's just one of the high energy phenomena that might arise. Other shit that might happen is Grand Unification (the unification of the weak nuclear, strong nuclear and electromagnetic interactions that should happen above 1014 GeV), which is far more important than finding the Higgs. All finding the Higgs would achieve is to patch up some holes in the Electroweak theory (a small subset of Grand Unification, which connects the Electromagnetic and Weak interactions; the holes arise because the symmetry is broken in that Electrons, which control electromagnetism, are tiny whereas the W and Z bosons for the Weak field are huge), not a "Theory of Everything". A Theory of Everything in the conventional particle physics sense unifies the Electronuclear field (from the Grand Unified Theory) with the Gravitational field, and would require energies of over 1019GeV (the Planck energy).

The LHC will also answer questions such as Supersymmetry, CP-violation and extra dimensions, among others. Useful links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LHC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_everything
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Unified_Theory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson
http://xkcd.com/386/

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:02 pm UTC

I remember spending all day one day beating my friends record time on mario kart double dash for his game cube. I got quite close to the world record time although he wasn't too pleased... I never played on it on my own again.
Scribblenauts reminds me of 20Q in a way.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

p314rat wrote:As I first read it, the girl had summoned herself in the last panel. That's why there are 2 of her.

After reading the alt-text, I guess the last panel is supposed to be 2 panels?

I found my reading a little more satisfying. The guy ends up the butt of the jokes all the damn time, and it seemed entertaining to have the girl self-hoisted as it were. Now it's just a bit too predictable.

I had the same confusion. My main complaint is not about the guy being the butt of the joke, but with the strip having only two points:

1) LAWL Scribblenauts
2) Anyone who doesn't care much about Scribblenauts is a pretentious asshole.

Neither of those two sounds like a joke to me.
Last edited by SirMustapha on Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Iridos

Postby Iridos » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

[quote="Max2009"]I don't think it's fair to have a comic about a game that nobody could have heard about. I mean, c'mon, it was released yesterday!

xkcd-ads?

No wonder adblock plus didn't show the comic at 1st...

I.

VNVKingdom

Postby VNVKingdom » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

Damn it! I've been absolutely immersed in Dissidia lately, and now this comes out! This might actually get me to buy a DS...
...To make in hell for us a heaven...

If we're talking cause and effect here, it might be that being a spiteful vindictive bastard with a mild personality disorder might attract you to IT, as opposed to IT making you that way.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

Max2009 wrote:I don't think it's fair to have a comic about a game that nobody could have heard about. I mean, c'mon, it was released yesterday!

Hey, Glasnt,
glasnt wrote:Yellow and 'hollow'-lettering don't make for an easily read heading.

So true.
Ahem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scrib ... -event.jpg
joee wrote:glasnt! you forgot about me :( *cries*

Hi joee! *hugs*

Yes, getting hugs from random strangers is a good thing (TM).

On another note (C Sharp), I'm personally looking much more forward to Picross 3D. Commense glee!
glasnt wrote:I didn't forget about you joee ;_;

I was distracted by the realisation that Scribblenauts is were the 'rooster hat' thing comes from.

I'll make it up to you :(

hi joee!
penis!
hi joee!

I see what you did there...

QuarterToTomorrow wrote:
nomulous wrote:Not sure if the part about the LHC and black holes in this game is true or not, but if it is, then shame on the makers of that game for inspiring fear in the general public when there already is too much. The LHC will not create a black hole, and as far as we know it is not dangerous in any conceivable way.

How about you discover the Higgs Boson when you summon it instead of destroying our precious earth, huh?

WRONG. The LHC probably will create a black hole. Just one that's 10-34m in diameter. And it wasn't created just to find the Higgs boson; that's just one of the high energy phenomena that might arise. Other shit that might happen is Grand Unification (the unification of the weak nuclear, strong nuclear and electromagnetic interactions that should happen above 1014 GeV), which is far more important than finding the Higgs. All finding the Higgs would achieve is to patch up some holes in the Electroweak theory (a small subset of Grand Unification, which connects the Electromagnetic and Weak interactions; the holes arise because the symmetry is broken in that Electrons, which control electromagnetism, are tiny whereas the W and Z bosons for the Weak field are huge), not a "Theory of Everything". A Theory of Everything in the conventional particle physics sense unifies the Electronuclear field (from the Grand Unified Theory) with the Gravitational field, and would require energies of over 1019GeV (the Planck energy).

The LHC will also answer questions such as Supersymmetry, CP-violation and extra dimensions, among others. Useful links:

Will it solve the P=NP problem too? Otherwise I'm not impressed.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

So if I travel back in time using the time machine that I will request when I get back to when I owned a DS, I can create a DS and only sell one of them, thus having it when I get back, right?

I love time travel.

The real question is.... Did they "Think of everything."tm
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Kaijyuu

Postby Kaijyuu » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

My only disappointment with this game is that the time machine isn't a DeLorean.
The cake is a lie, but truth is in Pi.

fishbulb42

Postby fishbulb42 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

This is actually the first thing I tried in the game last night.

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

Did anybody else already know what Scribblenauts was but didn't think it was funny? The alt text made it even worse. The joke is just "You're so X your picture is in the dictionary!", which I heard in third grade.
Last edited by Ghandi 2 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:51 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

umop ap!sdn

Postby umop ap!sdn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

Kaijyuu wrote:My only disappointment with this game is that the time machine isn't a DeLorean.

Prolly didn't have enough road to hit 88mph... so they went with the HG Wells Time Machine (looks like it anyway). Not a bad alternative as far as time machines go.

Now... the $158.00 question... is it worth the cash? Are there really any other DS games out there that are good enough to make the investment?
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

If not satisfied with this post, please return unused portion for full refund.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:55 pm UTC

I've been know to buy a console for a single game before (practically everyone I owned :P).
Why did you do this to me Randall!? Why!? I had forgotten about this gem. Now I will weep as, like most on this forum, I too cannot afford it!
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

umop ap!sdn wrote:Now... the $158.00 question... is it worth the cash? Are there really any other DS games out there that are good enough to make the investment?

No. I can't speak for Scribblenauts, but generally there are a few good games for DS (most of them are crap though or just bad rehashes of retro games), but they are way too expensive to be worth it.

That said, I have about 10 DS games myself, regardless.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

evJeremy

Postby evJeremy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

demadaha wrote:Whenever a website is referenced in an xkcd comic the server hosting that site often experiences trouble keeping up with the traffic. Will a reference to a video game cause game stores to have trouble keeping it in stock?
If anyone can cause this to single-handedly cause something like that to happen it would be Randall.

I think Post 217 might have done that already. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=post+217

umop ap!sdn wrote:Now... the $158.00 question... is it worth the cash? Are there really any other DS games out there that are good enough to make the investment?

I can't speak for everyone, but I've been enjoying most of the 60 DS games I own.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

How can so many people have never heard of this game?

Basically, you control this little guy and you go through these levels. In each level, there's a simple problem (cat stuck on a roof, a guy is thirsty, etc.) and you have to solve it. The thing is, you can write down a word on the touch screen and that object will appear in the game. There are literally thousands of objects (I think the developers went through a whole dictionary), and most of them interact with each other. It's probably not very difficult, but I assume it must have replay value because of all the different ways to solve each level. Plus it's fun to just screw around, and some objects interact in interesting ways. For example, when Nintendo's testers were trying it out, an elephant picked up a bazooka and started firing it frantically all over the place.

They have practically every noun in the English language, with the exception of not having any profane or sexual words or religious symbols. Sorry, you can't summon a dildo to help you. And no Jesus or Abraham or any of the Apostles. However, God is in there.

btw I really want this game.

And the alt-text was funnier than the third frame, in my opinion.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

SoNick

Postby SoNick » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:

No. I can't speak for Scribblenauts, but generally there are a few good games for DS (most of them are crap though or just bad rehashes of retro games), but they are way too expensive to be worth it.

Ah, then you must have stumbled across the bad games!

There are plenty of great games out for the system right now.
- Although they can be slightly frustrating at times, I highly recommend the "Ace Attorney" series by Capcom for starters. The latest one - Apollo Justice - doesn't quite reach the same level of excellence as the three Phoenix Wright games but it's still not a bad experience overall.
- Tetris DS is an alright game if you can find it for a cheap price; dealing with Nintendo's lame Friend-code system for online play is kind of annoying, but once you get over that just remind yourself that it's portable Tetris online. There are some extra game modes as well and some of them are kind of fun but really they're merely "alright" and not amazing.
- If you haven't grown tired of the Pokémon series yet, HeartGold and SoulSilver - remakes of highly popular 2nd Gen Pokémon games - will be released sometime next year. Although Gen 4 was a bit of a letdown I'm eagerly looking forward to this release!
- New Super Mario Bros. is a fairly simple and somewhat generic Mario game that's kind of fun for a little while. I wouldn't recommend picking it up at full price, but like Tetris DS if you can find it for a bargain then it's worth playing through at least once.
- The Castlevania games for DS are pretty fun as well. I can't speak for Order of Ecclesia as I have yet to play it, but the prior games aren't bad at all.
- Mega Man ZX is pretty good if you liked the Mega Man Zero series, but the map system is pretty lame and sometimes it takes forever to get places. I have yet to play the sequel so I don't know if they've fixed this issue in it or not.

These are just a handful from the games I have with my DS right now; I'm sure there are some gems missing from this list.
Sonic Retro Information Wiki: More taglines than you can shake a stick at!

DarthDaver

Postby DarthDaver » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

Haha. Nice. My girlfriend has been going on and on about this game whole day long! And now xkcd too!! I might have to see it for myself!
Geeky webcomic drawn by my girlfriend, check it out!!!

umop ap!sdn

Postby umop ap!sdn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:28 pm UTC

SoNick wrote:
ThemePark wrote:

[snip]
- If you haven't grown tired of the Pokémon series yet, HeartGold and SoulSilver - remakes of highly popular 2nd Gen Pokémon games - will be released sometime next year. Although Gen 4 was a bit of a letdown I'm eagerly looking forward to this release!
[snip]

Nah, I'm not really into Pokemon

I've always wanted to use that... and really be talking about Pokemon! :lol:
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

If not satisfied with this post, please return unused portion for full refund.

punto

Postby punto » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

keep in mind that all this talk about how the large hadron collider is perfectly safe is assuming it's being operated by qualified scientists.. who knows what could happen if you let some random dude turn it on.
Last edited by punto on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

DecemberSoul

Postby DecemberSoul » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

I'd never heard of Scribblenauts. At first I thought it was going to be like War Games, and she actually made a black hole.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

Ghandi 2 wrote:Did anybody else already know what Scribblenauts was but didn't think it was funny? The alt text made it even worse. The joke is just "You're so X your picture is in the dictionary!", which I heard in third grade.

Dude, you're supposed to talk about the game in here! This is the comic thread!

nomulous

Postby nomulous » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

Yeah I knew that, smart ass. I bet belittling people on the internet using your slightly-above-average intelligence and access to Wikipedia makes you feel good about yourself, now doesn't it.

Stop thinking you're so goddamned superior to everyone else. Because it just makes you look like a douchebag. Nobody will ever respect your intelligence if you go strutting about gloating every time you happen to know something that somebody else doesn't. That goes for anyone reading this.

QuarterToTomorrow wrote:

Last edited by nomulous on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

DecemberSoul

Postby DecemberSoul » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:19 pm UTC

Err, what? QuarterToTomorrow didn't say anything about you personally, just gave some facts.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

It goes for me too? Here I was thinking I was special. Damn it.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Glenn Magus Harvey

Postby Glenn Magus Harvey » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

I see Scribblenauts is getting a lot of internet love these days. The current comics here and on Brawl in the Family are both about it.

- The Castlevania games for DS are pretty fun as well. I can't speak for Order of Ecclesia as I have yet to play it, but the prior games aren't bad at all.
- Mega Man ZX is pretty good if you liked the Mega Man Zero series, but the map system is pretty lame and sometimes it takes forever to get places. I have yet to play the sequel so I don't know if they've fixed this issue in it or not.

Dawn of Sorrow is very awesome.

Portrait of Ruin is slightly less awesome than Dawn. The castle's not as big, so it's not as fun to explore, and painting areas aren't as varied (and they didn't do something cool like inverting things or making mirror images of things). However, if you're a completionist, you might like this game a lot.

Mega Man ZX has super awesome music and simple but very enjoyable plot. Running around the world is quite a lot of fun. It's far more fun to play than the MMZ games, in my opinion. Just don't use the map system; Go to some place like MMHP for a far better map.

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:09 am UTC

Who got Penny Arcade in my XKCD? :|

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:14 am UTC

SoNick wrote:Ah, then you must have stumbled across the bad games!

There are plenty of great games out for the system right now.
- Although they can be slightly frustrating at times, I highly recommend the "Ace Attorney" series by Capcom for starters. The latest one - Apollo Justice - doesn't quite reach the same level of excellence as the three Phoenix Wright games but it's still not a bad experience overall.
- Tetris DS is an alright game if you can find it for a cheap price; dealing with Nintendo's lame Friend-code system for online play is kind of annoying, but once you get over that just remind yourself that it's portable Tetris online. There are some extra game modes as well and some of them are kind of fun but really they're merely "alright" and not amazing.
- New Super Mario Bros. is a fairly simple and somewhat generic Mario game that's kind of fun for a little while. I wouldn't recommend picking it up at full price, but like Tetris DS if you can find it for a bargain then it's worth playing through at least once.

These are just a handful from the games I have with my DS right now; I'm sure there are some gems missing from this list.

I'm sure those are all great games. But for a DS game to steal $50-$70 out of my wallet, it has to be pretty damn awesome. I'm talking unique to the DS, using the DS features in a great way or having amazing gameplay. And it has to catch me when I look at the box. I've seen a few boxes that don't contain screenshots, just some boxart on the cover but I get no idea how it is to play the idea. Most covers look bland to me though, but I admit I go for a particular kind of graphics.

I also admit that I LOVE the idea of retro games for DS. Space Invaders, Mario, all those good old games on DS is nothing short of brilliant. But then it has to be a lot cheaper, or preferably existing as homebrew. I would buy a lot more games if most games actually had a price that actually reflected the value of the game, instead of most games costing between $50-$70 dollars even when they're only worth $20, like rehashes of retro games.

And then there's just the awful applications, which make sense to have on a PC and which I can see a purpose for someone wanting to have on the DS as it's portable, but where again the price is way out of range for its value. Those apps (like Yoga apps, or recipe books) should be absolutely free.

All the games I have for DS are:
- 42 All-Time Classics
- Exit DS
- Guitar Hero On Tour
- Konami Arcade Classics
- MySims
- Picross DS
- Professor Layton and the Curious Village
- Project Rub
- Rubik's Puzzle World
- Super Mario 64 DS
- Theme Park
- The Rub Rabbits

nomulous

Postby nomulous » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:15 am UTC

DecemberSoul wrote:Err, what? QuarterToTomorrow didn't say anything about you personally, just gave some facts.

The "wrong" in bold and capitalized letters? That pretentious bullshit with the exact numbers of GeV and what not? That post has "haha, I'm smarter than you" written all over it. I would know what it sounds like, I used to be like that. It's kind of sad actually, the guy (or girl) probably spent hours looking up all that shit on Wikipedia.

Zorlin wrote:It goes for me too? Here I was thinking I was special. Damn it.

I just mean I see this kind of thing a lot, and it's quite annoying. Especially here where everyone is at least smart enough to enjoy xkcd. Unfortunately, with intelligence often comes arrogance.

Sarda

Postby Sarda » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:19 am UTC

I checked out the trailer, and apparently if you summon and use a crowbar you look like Gordon freeman :D
If P AND NOT P then the lotto numbers will be 4, 19, 23, 194, the fine structure constant, and Birmingham.

kjsharke

Postby kjsharke » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:26 am UTC

nomulous wrote:
DecemberSoul wrote:Err, what? QuarterToTomorrow didn't say anything about you personally, just gave some facts.

The "wrong" in bold and capitalized letters? That pretentious bullshit with the exact numbers of GeV and what not? That post has "haha, I'm smarter than you" written all over it. I would know what it sounds like, I used to be like that. It's kind of sad actually, the guy (or girl) probably spent hours looking up all that shit on Wikipedia.

Irony much?

Ari

Postby Ari » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:27 am UTC

So, is nobody else vaguely pleased at the idea of recurring gaming-commentary characters?
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:20 am UTC

Zylon wrote:Who got Penny Arcade in my XKCD? :|

Penny Arcade would never have a joke that lame. :P

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:35 am UTC

My only beef with scribblenauts is the game doesn't properly acknowledge when you clean up an oil spill using a tornado - the oil spill's gone, but it isn't recorded, and hence doesn't count towards victory goals.
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

Justinlrb

Postby Justinlrb » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:56 am UTC

How about you don't discover the Higgs Boson and get all the atomsmash egg-heads tearing their hair out. You could also discover the tear slowly rolling down the cheek of an atomsmash fanboy.
226Ra --> 222Rn + α

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”