Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sqrt

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby sqrt » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:31 am UTC

Hi. I'm Martin. I am the guy who is always watching over paranoid people's shoulders. Also I'm into computers, games and physics -- but hey, who isn't?

Anywho, I'm from Norway. I am 19 years old, living in an basement apartment. People tell me that I am arrogant, but I believe it's "insightful" they actually mean. My hobbies are web development and programming, computers, physics, films, humor, blogging and watching statistics on Google Insight.

I am actually a pretty ok guy, after all (First impression aside, I mean). :)
When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

Woo, Scandinavia represent! (though I still havn't really forgiven you guys for the peace prize yet)
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:49 pm UTC

Kvadrater gjør alt rotete. Og, hei. :]

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

I don't think I've ever posted in this thread. Hello, world!

I'm a high schooler in New York City with lots of interest in the intertubes, math, and science.

And how is everyone else today?
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

Wow, haven't seen this thread in a while. Hello, new folks, hope you have fun. :)

... Even if the amazing flood of all you new folks is making the fora too big for me to keep up with. :P
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

sqrt

Postby sqrt » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:Woo, Scandinavia represent! (though I still havn't really forgiven you guys for the peace prize yet)

I can assure you that I had nothing to do with that. I wanted it to go to myself, of course. But the Nobel committee were all like "Hey, we know you are like Atlas, carrying the world on your shoulders, but you just can't pay as much as... Uhm, we mean..."

Nemphael wrote:Kvadrater gjør alt rotete. Og, hei. :]

Wææ, jeg ser norsk! Hei! :D
When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong.

phage

Postby phage » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:42 am UTC

Monika wrote:
phage wrote:Oh, I suppose that it doesn't (whoops!), but I assure you that I do enjoy math. :P

Well, what's not to enjoy about math? :D

A lot of people seem to dislike math, but maybe that's just because of the way that it's taught in today's schools... :(

Milyandel

Postby Milyandel » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:14 am UTC

Hello!
Just found this intro thread and am now speedily trying to correct the error of posting first elsewhere... :oops:
My name is Annu (but you can call me Mily, it's my usual nick in many www-related places and refers to my middle name) and I'm from Finland. I enjoy intellectual conversations, music, books, dancing, comics, internet and WoW - just to name a few of my interests. I started reading the xkcd comic a while ago and based on that & some of the topics I've been reading here I felt that this is the place where almost everything I like is combined. Hoping to have a great time with you all!
"Here I am once more in this Scene of Dissipation & Vice, and I begin already to find my Morals corrupted." - Jane Austen -

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:20 am UTC

phage wrote:
Monika wrote:
phage wrote:Oh, I suppose that it doesn't (whoops!), but I assure you that I do enjoy math. :P

Well, what's not to enjoy about math? :D

A lot of people seem to dislike math, but maybe that's just because of the way that it's not taught in today's schools... :(

FYP.

High School "maths" is not maths. Oh and if you post a lot about maths, you're going to have to put up with silly old Brits like me insisting on spelling it with an s. Sorry about that.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:36 pm UTC

I think I'm going to reject the math/maths debate by calling it mathematic.

"I am off to practice mathematic!" "By use of mathematic, humans have pulled themselves from the dark ages" "You got your peanut butter in my mathematic! Nuh uh! You got your mathematic in my peanut butter!"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I think I'm going to reject the math/maths debate by calling it mathematic.
Sounds analogous to "chiropractic". In which case, instead of "mathematician", should we say "mathemator" ?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:25 pm UTC

I was thinking Mathemazard myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I think I'm going to reject the math/maths debate by calling it mathematic.

"I am off to practice mathematic!" "By use of mathematic, humans have pulled themselves from the dark ages" "You got your peanut butter in my mathematic! Nuh uh! You got your mathematic in my peanut butter!"

But it's "mathematics."
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

.... that's the point. In the face of such idiocy, how can anyone continue to argue if it's Math or Maths?

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

"I work in the field of robotic." How does that sentence sound in contrast?

Also, new members, lead the topic on its right path, gogogo!

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:22 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:.... that's the point. In the face of such idiocy, how can anyone continue to argue if it's Math or Maths?

Thou fool! By the Queen's stag, surely this philosophy is rightly named "mathematics." I will slay the a hundred and fifty ways; therefore tremble and depart.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

ballos

Postby ballos » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:12 am UTC

hi, i'm not an alien.

phage

Postby phage » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:06 am UTC

Hi, ballos (who's not an alien)! :D

BurnTheOrange

Postby BurnTheOrange » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

Behold! I exist.
I am a long time lurker, and now a member.
a/s/l = 28/m/Pennsylvania
I am not a student of/employed in a math/science/tech geek field, but I do find geek humour to be damn funny and I tend to have the knowledge (or ability to use Google) to "get it".

Sorry in advance for the typos. My thinking speed >> typing speed, and thusly leads to getting my fingers all outta order sometimes. I am working on fixing this, but the going is slow.
Why yes, I do, indeed, enjoy the pie. Unless, of course, you are speaking of the "pumkin" flavored sort, in which case, I do not enjoy that pie.

KallistiEngel

Re: I'm lost...

Postby KallistiEngel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:11 am UTC

DiulaZela wrote:PS: - I'm trying to find a lost friend by the name of Rhett Aderholt, Where could I go looking for him?

have you tried google and facebook?
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:41 am UTC

Googling that name reveals several almost identical messages in many forums. I'd say it is a bot.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Re: I'm lost...

Postby Monika » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

DiulaZela wrote:Hi Ya'll!

I am new to this community & just had the urge to introduce myself and say "howdy".

Finally a solid forum with a layout that I can read - which truly is a refreshing change!

I'm here to learn @ get involved in this community. How can I best contribute?

Cheers.

PS: - I'm trying to find a lost friend by the name of Rhett Aderholt, Where could I go looking for him?

Strangest forum bot ever.

Mathematik, mathématique, matemática ... are there languages besides English where it's plural?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

joshz

Postby joshz » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:58 pm UTC

French. Les mathématiques.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

Skythe

Postby Skythe » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:23 am UTC

Hey guys, it's Skythe.
I'm from Oregon. Recently joined the Army Reserve, which is going great for me. First time using this username actually. It feels kind of weird. But hey! Looks like a thriving community. I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

joshz wrote:French. Les mathématiques.

Mais c'est "la mathématique" :shock: .

joshz

Postby joshz » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

Non, je ne crois pas. Cherche-le à translate.google.com, ou dans un dictionnaire.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:55 pm UTC

joshz

Postby joshz » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

My dictionary (and everything I've ever learned) say plural.
But this isn't terribly on topic, so we should take this to PMs if we want to continue it.

post 666 Oh me yarm!!!one!!!eleven!!
Last edited by joshz on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pryomancer

Postby Pryomancer » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:59 pm UTC

Hi guys.

I'm Matt, aka Pryomancer. Sort of a strange name, you may be thinking. Well I wanted the name Pyromancer for a game account ages ago, and it was taken. So I got creative and switched the 2nd and 3rd letters. Genius, right? I've kept that name/alias ever since.

Well, I'm 19 and live in the south of England. I'm currently at University studying BSc Computing, first year at the moment.

My passions include cars, computers, graphic design, Star Trek and misanthropy.

I certainly love my cars. Any Brit will know of Top Gear, and Fifth Gear, too. I watch these all the time on Dave.
I adore Grand Tourers, they're my favourite type of car. Nothing like cruising along in some refined yet insanely powerful car, with a beautifully smooth V12.
No American cars though, I don't want a piece of molded plastic with a clunky gearbox and a dashboard made from a sawn-in-half wheelie-bin.

The Aston Martin DB9 is my favourite of these cars. It's the most refined, and perfectly understated. It's also the best looking car ever made.
An old Ferrari 250 GTO is also a dream car of mine.

I've been using Photoshop for about 7 years now. I started off making forum signatures, since that was all the rage back then.
I've moved on to bigger pieces and also typography. Although I know Photoshop almost inside-out, I rarely finish anything I start.
I rarely start anything at all, my art is few and far between.
You can usually call on me for Photoshop advice, if you'd like to. I'll be happy to assist.

Computing. I like computers because they aren't people. Plus, computing is the smart move in today's society.
I'd like to be a software engineer or something similar, or perhaps even a technician.
Not networking though, every router I've ever come into contact with seems to have a personal grudge against me.

You may have noticed, I'm also rather literate. I studied English Language and Literature at college A-Level.
Whilst I'm not (much of) a grammar nazi, I always die slightly inside when I see someone who can't use their/they're/there properly.

I'm a huuuge Trekkie. I can remember being a fan of Star Trek before I really even knew what it was.
My friends were all Star Wars fans. Well screw them, Star Trek is much more expansive, and allegorical, to boot.
For me personally, in terms of my most favourite to least favourite, it goes TNG, TOS, VOY, DS9, ENT.
I've not actually seen all the films, mainly because they're not on TV, well only Nemesis, and I've seen that a few times now.
The Wrath of Khan is the best old Trek film. The new (2009) one kicks absolute ass.
Picard vs Kirk? Picard, for me. He's more likely to have actually existed (or will exist, if you like) as a Starfleet captain of their flagship craft.
Picard is cerebral, tactical and diplomatic. Kirk is prone to outburst and action, which is uncharacteristic of Starfleet.
My two favourite characters are Data and the Doctor (EMH). They are interesting, as both are non-human, but trying to exceed their programming and become ultimately as human as they can. The Doctor is particularly complex; he has humour, love, compassion, and other emotions which Data never fully realised.
It wasn't a fantastic series, and the Doc was easily the best character on Voyager.

I used to moderate a RuneScape (boo-hiss, yeah I know) fan site, which was one of the biggest forums on the internet. I quit RS ages ago, but stuck around the forums, mainly in the off-topic sections.
I've recently played Runes of Magic, but pretty much quit that since starting university. It's not a bad game, really. It gets compared to WoW, and there are similarities, but it's its own game, nothing is really taken from WoW, they just happen to share that genre and game style.

So that's me, hope I wrote enough, I feel I did.
Kizyr wrote:...I don't feel comfortable putting 50 CDs into a microwave

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:14 am UTC

Pryomancer wrote:I've been using Photoshop for about 7 years now. I started off making forum signatures, since that was all the rage back then.
I've moved on to bigger pieces and also typography. Although I know Photoshop almost inside-out, I rarely finish anything I start.
You can usually call on me for Photoshop advice, if you'd like to. I'll be happy to assist.

Hmm... Have you ever done graphics for StepMania simfiles? I.e. Banners for song selection and backgrounds for the main gameplay screen?
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

a_vivid_mess

Postby a_vivid_mess » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:45 am UTC

Greetings and salutations...

I'm a nerdish lady that has trouble sleeping. So I wind up spending too much time clicking link after link on Wikipedia late at night. (Did you know wombats poop squares? How cool is that!?!) When asked to recall anything of importance (where are my keys, name a president from the 1950's, math, ect) I have the memory of a chipmunk. But I can recall random things with vivid detail from when I was as young as two. I have artsy hobbies and maybe someday I'll post the results of them on here. I'm the grrl that has no qualms about drunkenly beckoning a cute nerd into an alley and pinning him up against the wall for fun but remains entirely too intimidated by everyday conversations with people. Especially if those people are fluent in math and science. I can write and paint. But please don't ask me what a proton is or anything I was supposed to remember in pre-algebra. The fact that Randall can get people like me religiously following xkcd is probably better proof of his talent and genius than anything else. Ok. No. I'm impressed by robot makin stuff.

Things that interest me that couldn't fit on my member profile: plotting escape routes for when the zombie apocalypse begins, finding a way to reach my smoke alarm so I can turn it off when I turn on my oven, rabbits, vegan food so hot and spicey it makes my ears tingle, long meandering walks in pretty places, MST3K, LOST, Amelie, A Very Long Engagement, standing in the grocery line debating wether or not it is worth the $3.99 to relive my childhood and purchase an Archie comic again, making friends with people that will let me look at their comics, people that have seen and remember the cinematic classic Mac and Me (or at least the break dance scene), and anyone that understands that 42 is the answer

Grammar and spell check be damned. Show me something neat you can do and I'll probably dig it. Teach me how to do something neat and I'll probably love you forever. Platonically at least.

Pryomancer

Postby Pryomancer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:22 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:
Pryomancer wrote:I've been using Photoshop for about 7 years now. I started off making forum signatures, since that was all the rage back then.

Hmm... Have you ever done graphics for StepMania simfiles? I.e. Banners for song selection and backgrounds for the main gameplay screen?

I've not made those before, but I doubt they would be too hard.

Chavroux

Postby Chavroux » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

Hi all,

I'm Chavroux, I work in IT and I live in Belgium (English is my 3th language, so feel free to correct me whenever I misspell something; I love to learn).

I like computers; I use emacs because using vi(m) with a Dvorak keyboard layout is a PitA.
Further, I like B-movies and alike (except "The Trial Of Billy Jack", Worst. Movie. Ever.), cartoons / anime, Klingons, boardgames, Lovecraft, my two cats (IRC3K and JRC3K), caffeine, semicolons, ... whatever.

I think that's it. I'm not really that interesting... Anyway, if there are any questions you may always ask.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

Pryomancer wrote:Hmm... Have you ever done graphics for StepMania simfiles? I.e. Banners for song selection and backgrounds for the main gameplay screen?

I've not made those before, but I doubt they would be too hard.[/quote]
Would you be interested in trying your hand at one or two? I write steps on a pretty much continuous basis, but all my graphics are either non-existent or terrible :-P
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

CueBall

Postby CueBall » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:27 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:
Pryomancer wrote:Hmm... Have you ever done graphics for StepMania simfiles? I.e. Banners for song selection and backgrounds for the main gameplay screen?

I've not made those before, but I doubt they would be too hard.

Would you be interested in trying your hand at one or two? I write steps on a pretty much continuous basis, but all my graphics are either non-existent or terrible :-P[/quote]
My mate makes them, and his are pretty damn good, but he plays it loads, so... :P
Spoiler:
Zohar wrote:Cueball is being generally hilarious today.
Sungura wrote:Cueball, I...I...
<3
Box Boy wrote:Now let us wait for the outcome of CueBall's fight to the death!

Pryomancer

Postby Pryomancer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:32 pm UTC

I'd have to find out more about it, I don't really have a clue what they actually are. But yeah, I can probably do a couple, in between my university work.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

Chavroux wrote:I'm Chavroux, I work in IT and I live in Belgium (English is my 3th language, so feel free to correct me whenever I misspell something; I love to learn).

It's spelled 3rd :) . 1st, 2nd, 3rd, then starting with 4th it's +th.

I like computers; I use emacs because using vi(m) with a Dvorak keyboard layout is a PitA.

:shock:

Further, I like B-movies and alike (except "The Trial Of Billy Jack", Worst. Movie. Ever.), cartoons / anime, Klingons, boardgames, Lovecraft, my two cats (IRC3K and JRC3K), caffeine, semicolons, ... whatever.

Is one of your languages Klingon?
How did you choose the names for your cats?

I think that's it. I'm not really that interesting... Anyway, if there are any questions you may always ask.

It was quite an interesting introduction.

Chavroux

Postby Chavroux » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:55 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
Chavroux wrote:I'm Chavroux, I work in IT and I live in Belgium (English is my 3th language, so feel free to correct me whenever I misspell something; I love to learn).

It's spelled 3rd :) . 1st, 2nd, 3rd, then starting with 4th it's +th.

Thank you, I've learned something today. My daily quest for knowledge is fullfilled for today.

Is one of your languages Klingon?

I speak a little bit Klingon, but for anything more than the basic "Where's the toilet?" or "I want coffee and chocolate." I still need my dictionary.
I have found an error on one of the cassette tapes though, that as far as I know nobody else has noticed:
On the tape "Conversational Klingon", on the part about telling time they translate 12h00 as "cha'maH wa'vatlh rep" while it has to be "wa'maH cha'vatlh rep".
I feel like such a nerd...

How did you choose the names for your cats?

They stand for Israel RoboCat 3000 and Jerusalem RoboCat 3000. They're brother and sister, which explains the RoboCat 3000 part (not really but whatever).

Originaly I wanted just one cat and I wanted to name him Azrael, like the cat of the smurfs. Then I found out that Azrael is also the Angel of Death, which is a bit too morbid for my taste, so I changed it to Israel.
When I went to the cat shelter I ended up getting two cats, so I gave the other one the name Jerusalem without really thinking about it.
These names are a bit too long, but cats don't listen anyway so it doesn't really matter.

(BTW, my next 3 cats will be named Kun-Fu X-treme 500, Isaiah Superisaiah and Ephraim AwesomeCat 2.0.)

Pryomancer

Postby Pryomancer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

Chavroux wrote:I speak a little bit Klingon, but for anything more than the basic "Where's the toilet?" or "I want coffee and chocolate." I still need my dictionary.
I have found an error on one of the cassette tapes though, that as far as I know nobody else has noticed:
On the tape "Conversational Klingon", on the part about telling time they translate 12h00 as "cha'maH wa'vatlh rep" while it has to be "wa'maH cha'vatlh rep".

I don't speak Klingon, but isn't the vocabulary so limited that you can ask for something like a warp drive, but have trouble ordering something from a menu in a resturant?

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

Chavroux wrote:Thank you, I've learned something today. My daily quest for knowledge is fullfilled for today.

I guess I can't tell you then that it's spelled "fulfill" (in British English even worse: fulfil). I think fullfill would be much more logical.

Quite nerdy :wink:

(BTW, my next 3 cats will be named Kun-Fu X-treme 500, Isaiah Superisaiah and Ephraim AwesomeCat 2.0.)

:shock:

Return to “General”