2009 XKCD Fora Secret Santa Gift Exchange!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Re: 2009 XKCD Fora Secret Santa Gift Exchange!

Postby Meowgan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:21 am UTC

I answered all these questions before and my computer crashed. So I am reanswering them, just for you.

Programming: I studied computing for 3 semesters at university. I could code in C at some stage. I am a bit excited by quicksort. For serious, if I got a tattoo it'd probably be the pseudocode of quicksort.
Chocolate: White, then milk.
Beverages: I drink tea. But I wouldn't suggest you send it to me. The last time someone tried, it got quarantined and they tried to charge me $40 to send 3 teabags back to the US. I also drink far too much fizzy drink.
Alcohol: White wine, port, cider, midori, vodka.
Favourite kind of animal: Deer. Giraffes are a close second. And then cats.
Favourite movie: I don't actually have one.
Melting likelihood: Very high. So very, very high. In the past 5 days, 3 of them have been >35 degrees C. 2 of them were >40 degrees C. It's only gonna get hotter.
Favourite mythical creature: Do dinosaurs count? If not, the Loch Ness monster. We all know she's a plesiosaur, anyway.
Favourite way to accessorise: Beanies, gloves, scarves, earrings, necklaces.
Favourite scientific discipline: Physics. Most of it. Especially the stuff to do with motion and how objects interract. Maths, especially geometry and patterns.
Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? Knitting patterns? I also really like sci-fi or a good thriller or a bit of horror. Or those books that eat your mind and leave you with confusion. I also like a well-realised world. I've recently finished reading the Terry Goodkind novels. I like Phillip K. Dick and Asimov. Tolkein, Pratchett, Douglas Adams (I'm a typical nerd in some ways). Ted Dekker, Frank Peretti.
What television shows do you like to watch? Doctor Who. Oh me yarm Oh, it is so awesome.
Do you collect anything? Yarn. Knitting patterns. Knitting needles. Knitted things made by me. I also have 25+ Rubik's cubes.
Board games: I am awful at a lot of them. But I will play with you. I like Munchkin. It's fun.
Video Games: So, I have a nethack addiction. And I've played far too much Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Baldur's Gate, DoW 1 and 2, Diablo 1 and 2, Starcraft (I've had my copy of SC2 on pre-order since the day I found out about it). I like playing older games, mostly because my laptop isn't so good and also because they're better. I really like games with a great world and background story. And roleplaying is fun.
Sweet tooth: I love sweets.
Food: Feed me! Just be careful because quarantine will want to steal everything.
Music: I like rock, often indie. But I really will listen to almost everything.
T-shirt Size: Medium, usually. But it does differ among different brands.

Yes, I am gonna go through and read everyone's answers.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:14 am UTC

Gift has been sent. Yay!

Canada Post says the package may take 4-6 weeks to get there. Boo...

Spoiler:
poxic_gift.jpg
poxic_gift.jpg (22.25 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:44 am UTC

Ok so I think I'm making my secret santa a basket. DOes this sound like anyone else? So many different possibilitis to narrow down to one item, so I'm making a collaborative basket of several items. And it'll be wrapped all pretty like and mailed to - oops, almost gave it away :-P
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:57 am UTC

Chocolate: Not really a big fan.
Beverages: Anything quirky or different.
Food Preferences: See above.
Alcohol: See above.
Patterns: Fluoro, anything bright or sparkly or shiny or mind-melting. Or black, electric blue, anything bold.
Favourite kind of animal: Panda, tiger, hamster, care bear >_>
Favourite movie: Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist or Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
Goo probability: Medium
Favourite shape/motif: Stars, spirals, anything geometric or repeating.
Favourite mythical creature: Cthulu
Favourite way to accessorise: bracelets, cuffs, kandi, eye makeup, bags, nail polish
Programming: Only drum machines and GarageBand
favourite scientific discipline: Morphogenetics, psychedelics
Do you like to read: Yes, a lot and anything. I'm a big fan of gonzo, beat, underground, counter-culture or anything weird and interesting.
TV shows: Haven't watched TV in nearly 10 years but I like cartoons on DVD. Family Guy, Futurama, Care Bears, My Little Pony, FLCL, old Nickelodeon (Rocko, Angry Beavers, CatDog, etc)
Collect anything: Interesting tins (small ones shaped like things or with cool designs), random toys from op-shops, kandi, raver toys, CDs, vinyl
Board games: Jenga, Hungry Hungry Hippos, Uno
Video Games: I play Wii and PS2 sometimes but not a lot. Fave games are old-school platformers
T-Shirt Size: Large or Xtra Large male

~~~~~~~~~~

fake edit - I swear I'm 23, not 5. I'm just honest and in touch with my inner-child because I'm an adult now and it's my turn to decide what that means.

Also, I like anything interesting or awesome. So if you think something is awesome, even if no one else around you understands why (especially if no one else around you understands why) then I'll probably think it's awesome, too.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

Mine is finished and will be posted on Friday. I would post a picture here, but I don't know how to photoshop out all the decorations and address and name and still have a photo left of anything other than a blob. I have it for proof if needed though.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Skythe

Postby Skythe » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:19 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Mine is finished and will be posted on Friday. I would post a picture here, but I don't know how to photoshop out all the decorations and address and name and still have a photo left of anything other than a blob. I have it for proof if needed though.

You could just send it to _jess or spacemilk in a PM for confirmation.

JoeyJo0

Postby JoeyJo0 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:04 am UTC

Programming: Started when I was 11-12 with JS. So I've got a couple years of experience now.
Chocolate: All kinds, but white is best.
Beverages: I like coke :P
Alcohol: Apfelkorn, beer, almost everything alcoholic :P
Favourite kind of animal: CATS :D
Favourite movie: Fight Club
Melting likelihood: I very much detest high temperatures.
Favourite mythical creature: Cthulhu! :D
Favourite way to accessorise: Scarves, glasses.
Favourite scientific discipline: Chemistry, because of booms and bangs ;3
Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? Knitting patterns? Fantasy and horror. Favorite authors are: Robert Jordan, Terry Pratchett and Stephen King.
What television shows do you like to watch? House! Too bad it's always on at bad times for me D;
Do you collect anything? Minerals, coins, money :)
Board games: Not really
Video Games: If I really have to write that all here I'll still be busy by tomorrow.
Sweet tooth: Yes, just about anything that's not epicly sweet or bitter.
Food: Hmm foood ;3
Music: Metal, Classic, some kinds of Jazz and some kinds of country. I have a strange taste.
T-shirt Size: Medium - Large.

What's the deadline for presents? Mine's gonna take awhile because I'm ill at this time, and I'm not getting my salary until monday.
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

Thrin

Postby Thrin » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

User Name: Thrin
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated:
Hobbies: Skiing, rock climbing video games, nerdyness
Favourite Colour: blue
Favorite xkcd: General biology wierdness
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: wheat and milk
Any other Pertinent Questions: secretly think i'm immortal

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:50 am UTC

Present has been bought, parcel has been bought. Now to somehow combine the two and mail.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Meowgan

Postby Meowgan » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:06 am UTC

Sorry Thrin, you're a bit too late for this.

There's a general sending parcels thread and a postcards one. I suggest you post in one of those, pick someone in them to mail to and send them a PM.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:26 pm UTC

JoeyJo0 wrote:What's the deadline for presents? Mine's gonna take awhile because I'm ill at this time, and I'm not getting my salary until monday.

Aiming for Dec. 1st, but if you know you're going to be later, PM __jess and she'll be able to pass on the info to your giftee without ruining the secret part.

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:03 am UTC

Flipping heck. I know my allocated gift receiver in real life. What are the chances of that?
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:27 am UTC

Assuming you only know one of the people participating, 1 in 39. Probably greater, actually, since some people don't ship internationally.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:44 am UTC

Not a helpful assumption. I was not aware of any xkcd forumites being people I already knew.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:56 am UTC

Haha, wow, that is pretty cool to figure out.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:42 am UTC

Present is complete, box is obtained. All I need now is the note that goes with it, and to actually pack and send it.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

dragon wrote:Not a helpful assumption. I was not aware of any xkcd forumites being people I already knew.
Wow, that is pretty neat.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

Programming- I know a few different languages don't really program very often though.

Chocolate- Eh...eh...kinda...

Beverages- Tea and all-natural juices

Patterns- Stripes or ink splots.

Food preference- Yes.

Alcohol- Always a fan of new beer.

Favorite kind of animal- Capybara

Favorite movie I own- Star Wars (original trilogy), The Big Lebowski

Melting likelihood- It's have to be a cold day in hell for something to melt here in the winter.

Favorite shape/motif- I have no idea...

Favorite mythical creature- Oompa Loompas.

Favorite way to accessorize- I don't really accessorize. But if you can find something really cool I would be open to it.

Favorite scientific discipline- Probably anything that involves things in outer space.

Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? I read too much. I am a fan of all genres really. A good book is a good book. I'm also a fan of poetry. Some favorite Authors of mine: Hunter Thompson, E.E. Cummings, Stephen Hall, Ursula K. LeGuin, Jack Kerouac, George Saunders.

Favorite Bands- The Matches, Why?, Hot Water Music, Motion City Soundtrack, Kay Kay and his Weathered Underground, Look Mexico, Bomb the Music Industry/Arrogant Sons of Bitches. Lots of different stuff. I like interesting well thought out compositions and brutally honest lyrics. No Metal though.

What television shows do you like to watch? Venture Bros.

Do you collect anything? Not really.

Board games- Risk, Stratego and Monopoly. Don't really play board games much anymore though.

Video games- Have a DS, Wii and 360. But trying to cut back to just PC these days. I'm really into interesting and/or different games these days.

Tshirt size- Mens Small

ThinkSweet

Postby ThinkSweet » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:52 am UTC

Present sent, should take about 2 weeks according to my post office. Unfortunately I had to write pretty much exactly what's in it on the outside for customs, so if you like surprises, try not to read the outside of the parcel too closely before you open it. But hopefully it will mean customs will let it through un-molested.

Below is a rather blurry photo of the relevant part of the receipt for postage, spoilered for containing country of destination
Spoiler:
ss crop.jpg
ss crop.jpg (8.78 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
</rant>

Meowgan

Postby Meowgan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:03 am UTC

I bought pink yarn to make a secret Santa gift out of on Thursday.

And I have made a prototype of the gift. Estimated mailing date is Tuesday week. It takes about two weeks for mail to get from here to there.

/me knits furiously.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:05 pm UTC

I'm hoping to get mine posted this week-am having a few failed attempts at making it :roll: But have packaging etc, so almost ready to post it :)
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

AJR

Postby AJR » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

I deposited the package with the good people at the post office today. It received its requisite selection of air mail and customs stickers so it should now be on it's way - ThinkSweet's warning about not reading customs labels too closely to avoid spoiling surprises will apply to anything going internationally, although the lady at the post office just scribbled the sticker for me and she didn't put much detail.

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

Mine shall be ready this weekend, and it ships from here to there with brevity, so a few extra days shouldn't matter...
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?

reishka

Postby reishka » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:55 am UTC

I haven't finished with the making of the awesome things, so it'll be shipped out on the weekend.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:08 am UTC

Mine was shipped a couple of days ago. I shipped it directly there to make sure it gets there on time, so I didn't get the chance to crazily decorate or whatnot. Also, the "gift message" that they allow you to put on the side looked fine in preview, but afterwards got messed up. Turns out they decided to delete all the returns so it's all smashed together, plus it decided to display π correctly at first, but then had some cryptic thing instead afterwards. And because of the time of day and way I payed and whatnot, I wasn't able to change it. Eh, you should still be able to figure out what it says.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:16 am UTC

Gift has been shipped. Because I am an idiot I forgot to take a photo.
Though I might be able to find the receipt for the parcel or present somewhere.
Anyway, it's gone and I hope my KK likes it.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:14 am UTC

Sent! Have receipt but not photo cuz I packed it at the post office counter and forgot my camera....
Rice Puddin.

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:22 am UTC

Senefen wrote:Gift has been shipped. Because I am an idiot I forgot to take a photo.
Though I might be able to find the receipt for the parcel or present somewhere.
Anyway, it's gone and I hope my KK likes it.

Your.... Krispy Kreme?

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:25 am UTC

Kris Kringle, no?

(Avatar by Sungura)

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:28 am UTC

You're probably right. I missed that. I'll mail my BFJ at the end of the week. (Bowl Full Of Jelly - Of)

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

I got a package today! Woohoo!

It was lovingly wrapped:
Spoiler:
package.png
package.png (509.48 KiB) Viewed 3263 times

In several layers I might add... This was wrapped in brown paper and it was wrapping a big shoebox filled with newspaper. Finally, within I found:
Spoiler:
gift.png
gift.png (218.86 KiB) Viewed 3261 times

A Canadian Mountie bobblehead!

And attached to it was a note:
Spoiler:
note.png
note.png (107.13 KiB) Viewed 3261 times

But how can I know who it was from?! I don't pay attention to people's locations! Now I have to go through the thread looking for a Canadian! Reveal yourself, Secret Santa!
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:47 pm UTC

Yay for Zohar!!
(note: while I am canadian, I'm not your secret santa).
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:49 pm UTC

I just went over the thread and checked who has a Canadian location. If it's not you, it leaves Rinsaikeru and Poxic. And, of course, everyone else who doesn't write their actual location.

Edit:
"Oh I know Zohar! Why don't you look at who already sent their packages and try to guess by that?"
"That's an excellent idea Zohar! I'll do just that."
"Good, I'm sure it will work out for the best."

*looklooklook*

"Oh hey, you were right! There's a post here by Poxic and it looks the same as the one I got! Poxic was my Secret Santa all along!"
"See? I told you it would be fine."
"Yeah, I should always listen to you before I post on the fora, Zohar. You're so smart."
"Yes, yes you are Zohar."

And they lived happily ever after inside his demented head.

So anyway, thanks Poxic, that was cool of you, he's bobbing on my desk as I write. :)
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:19 pm UTC

I love that Hannukah paper!
Rice Puddin.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

It is pretty awesome! :)

I wonder if anyone else has got their gifts.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Lizabeff

Postby Lizabeff » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

I feel so unorganised compared to all you guys.
I'm still looking for some crafty things, as I live nowhere near any real craft stores (that I know of)
I'm sorry Secret Santee(?) but it should be there by Christmas :D

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

And it's mailed. I feel proud of myself.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

I'm currently getting destroyed by the end of term, but I should (through the miracle of paying extra for faster shipping) still be able to get my gift to my SS in time.

(Silly school, I have to shop for a forumite! Why must you stop this with things like "tests" and "grades?")
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

Wolf wrote:I'm currently getting destroyed by the end of term, but I should (through the miracle of paying extra for faster shipping) still be able to get my gift to my SS in time.

(Silly school, I have to shop for a forumite! Why must you stop this with things like "tests" and "grades?")
Damn life, getting in the way all the time!
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

ThinkSweet

Postby ThinkSweet » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:I got a package today! Woohoo!

Wait, Zohar got a package from Canada in a week that was supposed to take 4-6 weeks? That's awesome!!
</rant>

Return to “General”