Google Goggles - Augmented reality next?

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

BlackSails

Google Goggles - Augmented reality next?

Postby BlackSails » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:25 pm UTC

http://www.google.com/mobile/goggles/#landmark

Fuck yes. I hope they start putting this stuff into glasses soon, so we can be living in the future!

Admiral Valdemar

Re: Google Goggles - Augmented reality next?

Postby Admiral Valdemar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

You can get this kind of application on some mobiles already. Though not goggles, it's useful to be able to whip out your phone and visualise or search via an image.

I won't take this as living in the future though, unless it comes with a flying car.

Bright Shadows

Postby Bright Shadows » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:58 am UTC

Admiral Valdemar wrote:You can get this kind of application on some mobiles already. Though not goggles, it's useful to be able to whip out your phone and visualise or search via an image.

I won't take this as living in the future though, unless it comes with a flying car.

We make those already, but I don't know how many are street legal. Also, they fly really low.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:01 am UTC

Meh, they do nothing anyway.

tzar1990

Postby tzar1990 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:47 am UTC

Having just watched Dennou Coil (a japanese show about augmented reality awesomeness,) I believe it's save to say that this is going to be crazy awesome if we can get it done right. Now we just need to work this software into a pair of computer monitor-containing glasses, and combine those with relatively powerful wearable computers, and then establish higher speed wireless internet everywhere...

Ah well. Maybe in twenty years or so.
The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes

icanus

Postby icanus » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:56 am UTC

tzar1990 wrote:Having just watched Dennou Coil (a japanese show about augmented reality awesomeness,) I believe it's save to say that this is going to be crazy awesome if we can get it done right. Now we just need to work this software into a pair of computer monitor-containing glasses, and combine those with relatively powerful wearable computers, and then establish higher speed wireless internet everywhere...

Ah well. Maybe in twenty years or so.

Don't need a full wearable computer, just a network camera, wireless connection and enough processing power to handle user input (hopefully eye movement) and display - basically nothing more than you'd find in an iPhone. You can do the heavy lifting on a remote system.

Bright Shadows wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:I won't take this as living in the future though, unless it comes with a flying car.

We make those already, but I don't know how many are street legal. Also, they fly really low.

RoadsStreets, Where we're going, we don't need RoadsStreets!

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:13 am UTC

That's really frigging cool.

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:35 am UTC

Great technology, but I could see some weird uses for this in certain areas (it would bring new life to the term 'googling yourself). However, this would be awesome for things like nutrition facts or real estate

Unfortunately, I remembered watching a CNBC documentary on Google where, during testing, this rarely worked.
Last edited by Vohu Manah on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

icanus wrote:
Bright Shadows wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:I won't take this as living in the future though, unless it comes with a flying car.

RoadsStreets, Where we're going, we don't need RoadsStreets!

Dude. FUCK flying cars. I do not want fiery death for gettig into a fender bender. I hardly trust more than half of humanity with their cars going in TWO dimensions.

On topic. While this is neat, I really don't see it as that groundbreaking.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

Vohu Manah wrote:Great technology, but I could see some weird uses for this in certain areas, if you get my meaning.

No, we don't. What the heck are you on about?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Krazywrath

Postby Krazywrath » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

This is a good start I guess, but for it to be really great, the system would have to be able to recognize most buildings or other things to be effective. It would be really cool though to have!

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

I would very much like having this. I wonder if it checks the picture against those of google street view to see where you are? Seems like the logical thing it would do. I would very much consider this "the future", there are so many things you could do with this I don't even know where to start. Trust Google to come up with something awesome like this. Personally, if every restaurant listed also had menu details and Google was also able to work out the cheapest type of food within an area, that'd be cool too, or just show you the menu of a restaurant just by pointing your camera at it. I can't say I would even have believed such a thing would exist in the next 2 decades back in the 90s.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Vohu Manah wrote:Great technology, but I could see some weird uses for this in certain areas, if you get my meaning.

No, we don't. What the heck are you on about?

Dating Sims
Signatures are for chumps.

Return to “News & Articles”