Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Chavroux

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Chavroux » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:16 pm UTC

Ivora wrote:Today I learned that education is... uber costly. :shock:

And did you count the opportunity cost of X years not having a job?

(ex. instead of studying for 4 years you could have a job and earn $1500/month; total opportunity cost = 4years*12months/year*$1500/month = $72,000)

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

Chavroux wrote:
Ivora wrote:Today I learned that education is... uber costly. :shock:

And did you count the opportunity cost of X years not having a job?

(ex. instead of studying for 4 years you could have a job and earn $1500/month; total opportunity cost = 4years*12months/year*$1500/month = $72,000)

But if you do that you had better take into account the increased earning potential thereafter...
(That said, when an advisor says that double majoring is going to cost you money in the long run, they probably aren't mistaken).
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

Only if the double major takes more time. My boyfriend's doing a double-degree in 5 years, so yeah, he might end up hurting from that, since he never intends to use one of his (impractical liberal arts) degrees, but I'm doing a double major in four years, so why would it cost me?
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

@Chai

If one of your majors is expected to bring you zero dollars, the time spent studying for it could be spent working at a part time job (opportunity cost).

Of course, I'm not criticizing your choice as some things are worth more than money.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

I think that misunderstands the way double majoring works. Let me take a simplified model of the system:
Say your degree is divided up into thirds, with one-third general education credits, one-third major credits, and one-third elective credits. Assume your individual semester is broken up approximately similarly. A double major simply takes the one-third elective credits and exchanges it for a major, which also costs 1/3 (note, this will vary from school to school, but is my experience at a research university). On a semester basis, this means that your schedule would be the difference between taking GE, major, and elective classes, and GE, Major 1, and Major 2 classes. Furthermore, it's rare for people to take or not take a job based on the classes they're taking, especially since most students who get part-time jobs do so on federal work-study (us unlucky ones who have no work-study have a hell of a time finding a job at many schools). Lastly, it's pretty hard to calculate whether an additional major would bring you literally $0 or have some added benefit in hiring or salary. My majors are music and philosophy and I'm not pursuing the music. On the surface, music would seem to have a $0 benefit. The calculus changes, however, if my philosophy research is in aesthetics, and the admissions committee looks at my music as a bonus that will give me more practical knowledge, much like a science major might help someone in philosophy of science. Likewise, someone with a double major in art history and French might get a gallery job that gives her $0 additional benefit, but might later send her to a sister gallery in Belgium on the strength of her French skills. Basically, you never know when the other major will come in handy.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

guyy

Postby guyy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:15 pm UTC

There are usually somewhat more classes in a double-major, I think; but it's true that the name is misleading, as it's not really "double." You don't have to take as many classes in either major as you would if you had just one, and there's often a lot of the same classes in both majors, which obviously you only have to take once.

Also, everything (else) is worth more than money. Not just some things.

Jumble

Re: Today You Learned

Postby Jumble » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:Today I learned our family at sometime had a Commodore 64 computer. However, this only came to light in an attic clear-out session, and all we found was the keyboard with no wiring for it. Apart from being seriously dusty, it was in good condition 8)

Err, I think the Commodore 64 was the keyboard. In those days (and I'm talking ancient history, i.e. my generation) computers were all one unit (BBC Micro, Atari, Vic 20, Sinclair Spectrum, etc.). Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64. May be worth something on ebay if you don't want to keep it. All you need is a power supply with whatever bizarre plug they put on it.

TIL that when your kids say 'Dad I'm tired and I want to go home', it may be that they are bored of shopping. Or, it may be that they are genuinely ill and in 5 minutes will projectile vomit all over the back of the car. I'm still waiting for her head to spin around...
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:43 am UTC

TIL: There are pink dolphins!!!

AJR

Postby AJR » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:22 am UTC

Vieto wrote:TIL: There are pink dolphins!!!

That is unreasonably awesome! And reminded me of the image of the Invisible Pink Unicorn on Wikimedia Commons:
Spoiler:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ipu.png
This PNG file features a pink unicorn, but it has an alpha channel that makes the image completely transparent, thus approximating an Invisible Pink Unicorn.

the tree

Postby the tree » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:45 am UTC

Kain wrote:But if you [count opportunity cost] you had better take into account the increased earning potential thereafter...

No, cost and net loss are different things.
Counting opportunity cost essentially comes down to counting what you could have done instead with the resources that you used other than just money (usually, time). Often things have a really high cost - but also have a net gain, such as education. Sometimes the only significant cost is the opportunity cost, such as taking a month out to renovate your house - the cost of not working for that month far exceeds what you might spend on paint and wood but even then you may consider that to have a net gain if it pushes up the value of your house enough or if you consider the satisfaction of a job well done plus the added value to your house to exceed a months salary (yes, costs can also be really subjective).

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

In addition to that, the cost to you of that month's labour at either work or your house could be different. And so you would be saving yourself effort.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:41 pm UTC

Today I Learned why my OpenGL program wasn't working: I'd installed my graphics drivers wrong, and it was linking to some weird libraries that were the wrong ones. Now it's fixed.

I also learned that if you mark a thread as solved on Linux Forums, it immediately locks it, so you can't explain how it was solved.

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

This PNG file features a pink unicorn, but it has an alpha channel that makes the image completely transparent, thus approximating an Invisible Pink Unicorn.
That is silly and awesome.

Today I learned secondhand about the joys of cross-country driving solo.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:13 am UTC

TIL that floor and ceiling functions are actually legitimate mathematical functions :shock:
I thought someone was just trying to be funny.
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:27 am UTC

the tree wrote:
Kain wrote:But if you [count opportunity cost] you had better take into account the increased earning potential thereafter...

No, cost and net loss are different things.
Counting opportunity cost essentially comes down to counting what you could have done instead with the resources that you used other than just money (usually, time). Often things have a really high cost - but also have a net gain, such as education. Sometimes the only significant cost is the opportunity cost, such as taking a month out to renovate your house - the cost of not working for that month far exceeds what you might spend on paint and wood but even then you may consider that to have a net gain if it pushes up the value of your house enough or if you consider the satisfaction of a job well done plus the added value to your house to exceed a months salary (yes, costs can also be really subjective).

TIL that any time I talk economics, I say something other than I mean. Good thing I am not a buisness major. (I have had the above paragraph explained to me in many different ways, and reasonably understand it <possibly>. I don't remember what I intended to say there, but it was most certainly not opportunity cost).
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:36 pm UTC

Today I learned that I've spent $126.60 this year on ATM fees alone. :shock:

I really need to find a new bank.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:11 am UTC

TIL that Photons and Anti-photons are the same particle.

So much for my Anti-laser doomsday device idea :(

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:24 am UTC

Today I learned about something called EVE.

WTF. :shock:

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:52 am UTC

Ivora wrote:Today I learned about something called EVE.

There's a lot of things called EVE. EVE online, maybe?

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:31 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:

Yeah.

That.

Such... beautiful planets....

MrGee

Postby MrGee » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:34 am UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:I think that misunderstands the way double majoring works. Let me take a simplified model of the system:
Say your degree is divided up into thirds, with one-third general education credits, one-third major credits, and one-third elective credits. Assume your individual semester is broken up approximately similarly. A double major simply takes the one-third elective credits and exchanges it for a major, which also costs 1/3 (note, this will vary from school to school, but is my experience at a research university). On a semester basis, this means that your schedule would be the difference between taking GE, major, and elective classes, and GE, Major 1, and Major 2 classes. Furthermore, it's rare for people to take or not take a job based on the classes they're taking, especially since most students who get part-time jobs do so on federal work-study (us unlucky ones who have no work-study have a hell of a time finding a job at many schools). Lastly, it's pretty hard to calculate whether an additional major would bring you literally $0 or have some added benefit in hiring or salary. My majors are music and philosophy and I'm not pursuing the music. On the surface, music would seem to have a $0 benefit. The calculus changes, however, if my philosophy research is in aesthetics, and the admissions committee looks at my music as a bonus that will give me more practical knowledge, much like a science major might help someone in philosophy of science. Likewise, someone with a double major in art history and French might get a gallery job that gives her $0 additional benefit, but might later send her to a sister gallery in Belgium on the strength of her French skills. Basically, you never know when the other major will come in handy.

Well you're freakin' lucky. At my school, in order to double major you HAVE to take 5 years worth of credits. And you only get one minor for each major you already have.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:45 pm UTC

Today I learned that a guy I went to high school with died yesterday. Electrocuted on the job. He was married and had at least one child; and he was my age, so around 28. I didn't know him that well (I didn't socialize much with anyone in high school), but what an incredible tragedy. I can't imagine what his family must be going through.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

httpd.conf
Location: In the dimensional pocket directly adjacent to your left nipple.

Postby httpd.conf » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

Today I learned... she loves me. :D
echo $signature;

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

Today I Learned that Blender's Python API is packed with lies and has a smooth, buttery coating of "returning the wrong data".

If you ask for a global location, you get a global location. That's okay
I need a location relative to an object's parent. This is called "localspace".
I ask for a local location. I get a global location.

Luckily:
If you ask for a local matrix, you get a local matrix.

So that all worked out nicely, and solved an age-old communication issue between Blender and my program.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

TIL: Getting changed into a complete Santa costume, in the dark, at the bottom of someone's snow-filled garden, is harder than you think (particularly when you've forgotten to bring a belt to hold the coat closed and the pillow in place). Trust me kids - don't try this at home.

It's also not a wise idea to relieve the stress immediately after by swigging whisky from a hip flask and lighting a cigar whilst still dressed as the fat guy. You can ruin the image for passing kids. Hey, I've become bad Santa!
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Zeroignite

Postby Zeroignite » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:23 am UTC

Today I learned that my microphone actually DOES work, and that Skype is amazing.
She/her/hers

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

Today I learned that I really do not like the smell of cocktail wieners, and I also do not like working on Christmas.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

Skythe

Postby Skythe » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:18 am UTC

Ivora wrote:
lulzfish wrote:

Yeah.

That.

You must have also learned that it is a very expensive game.

I finally learned who was Voltaire was. (not the musician.) I don't know if I'm depressed or proud of myself for reading my history book over break.

MrGee

Postby MrGee » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:28 am UTC

Skythe wrote:
Ivora wrote:
lulzfish wrote:

Yeah.

That.

You must have also learned that it is a very expensive game.

I finally learned who was Voltaire was. (not the musician.) I don't know if I'm depressed or proud of myself for reading my history book over break.

Did you enjoy the wonderfully forced and ubiquitous metaphors, such as between new settlements and seeds taking root?

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:49 am UTC

I didn't know it was expensive... :|

Huh...

But I did learn today that cat calls are equally humilating on men. :D

Guiro

Postby Guiro » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:30 am UTC

Skythe wrote:I finally learned who was Voltaire was. (not the musician.) I don't know if I'm depressed or proud of myself for reading my history book over break.

I learned that there's a musician named Voltaire.

httpd.conf
Location: In the dimensional pocket directly adjacent to your left nipple.

Postby httpd.conf » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:43 am UTC

I learned today that even a small soda will force you to pee 5 times at a 3-hour movie.
echo $signature;

Zeroignite

Postby Zeroignite » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:40 am UTC

Today I learned what a duvet is, and that my room does in fact look vastly better when the linens actually match both each other and the general decor of the room. Thanks, dad.
She/her/hers

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:55 am UTC

Today I learned that many PS2 homebrew/hack-related programs do not support component video output and must be displayed on an analog TV using the A/V cables. I also learned that the "text editor" in uLaunchElf is no good for editing IPCONFIG.DAT because it sticks some NULL bytes at the end of the file, triggering an error along the lines of "IPCONFIG.DAT format is [...]".

For the sake of Googlers (oddly, I did not find this tidbit anywhere on Google), this involves/affects the Playstation 2 program hdld_svr.elf (the server for hdl_dumb and hdl_dump) as well as those mentioned above; you'll just see a black screen.

(Why is it that every time I try to use my PS2 I have to spend several hours doing some completely different hack than last time? Why do these programs that boast over 95% compatibility never work with the few games I have? Why could Sony not have manufactured the damn things properly so I could just use the original discs in the first place? :x )

Yesterday I learned that TV is still as annoying as it was last time I watched it, but Discovery Channel has some decent stuff in between the blaring ads, and apparently India's laws regarding driver's licenses are either very lax or not well enforced. That being my conclusion after someone on Canada's Worst Driver said they learned in India by (his words) "hit and miss", just getting into a car and doing what seemed right (which included such nonsense as driving between lanes for more space, not even knowing what the signal lights are, etc), before ever getting a license. Now that show is pretty damn scary... but I'd like to try those courses myself, maybe improve my own lousy driving skills a bit. :P
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:59 am UTC

Zeroignite wrote:Today I learned what a duvet is, and that my room does in fact look vastly better when the linens actually match both each other and the general decor of the room. Thanks, dad.

So now... the carpet matches the drapes?
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

mystic_aura

Postby mystic_aura » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:31 pm UTC

Today I learned that the ring finger of [most] males is longer than their index finger due to testosterone levels when younger.
'I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself king of infinite space.' - Hamlet

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Today I learned my ring finger is not longer than my index finger.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Today I learned my ring finger is not longer than my index finger.

You must be gay.

Actually, I saw somewhere that this could be related to homosexuality. However, my ring finger is longer, so it's obviously not an absolute qualifier.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:Today I learned my ring finger is not longer than my index finger.

You must be gay.

Actually, I saw somewhere that this could be related to homosexuality. However, my ring finger is longer, so it's obviously not an absolute qualifier.
That's exactly what they said in primary school :D
Ⓞⓞ◯

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:58 pm UTC

Today I learned that mine is. Huh.
(I'm female, btw)

Return to “General”