Shattered Horizon

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

a spastic ninja

Shattered Horizon

Postby a spastic ninja » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

With the end of the beta, I am now free to talk about it.

Aren't you all lucky.

Gameplay: Though it takes a little getting used to, gameplay is pretty straightforward; WASD moves you, mouse aims, left click to fire, hold right and move mouse to rotate. Physics were (as far as I could tell) completely Newtonian; that is, unless you compensated for movement in any direction you will drift until you hit and bounce off something. As such you spend less time moving quickly and more time being careful than most twitch shooters. Using the F key while facing a nearby surface lets you latch to the surface, orienting your view with the surface as "down".

You have one gun, which fires automatic normally and three shot burst when scoped, as well as firing three types of grenades; Ice (basically a smoke bomb), EMP (shuts down enemies suits, preventing them from manuevering), and Frag (it was called something else, but I can't remember what. Basically it explodes and stuff near it dies.) Use of Frag grenades near the edge of a map was entertaining, as anyone near the blast would go shooting off in a random direction.

Player's can also shut down their suit, which disables maneuvering and radar, but makes them harder to spot. The sound when you're suit shuts off is great, with your avatar's breathing echoing around inside the helmet.

Ambush tactics tend to rule over outright combat, as the suits can't take a lot of damage before breaching; lucky shots can even take out the helmet visor or fuel tank for an instant kill.

On my school-issued HP Compaq 8710W, 2.6GHz Centrino, 4 GB DDR2, and an nVidea Quadro 1600m running Win7 the game ran smooth at 1440x900 and low texture quality, though the texture detail had little to no effect on visual quality.

All in all the game was fun and different, which is what we're really looking for these days. It takes some getting used to, but after a few minutes you can get the hang of it. I'll almost definitely buy it along with a second copy for my brother.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Shattered Horizon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:30 am UTC

...it's a First Person Shooter for everyone else who had no idea what the hell you were talking about and didn't figure it out.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

a spastic ninja

Postby a spastic ninja » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:43 am UTC

oh...right, yea....what he said

probably should have gone over that after i copy/pasted it from my Kotaku post...

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:42 am UTC

I had my eye on this game for a while, and when it went on sale on steam over the holidays, I had to get it.

anyway, finally had a chance to play some games and so far I'm enjoying it, very tactical for when I want a change of pace from TF2.

Since none ofthe clans I usually game seem to play, I figured I'd try to kickstart this thread and ask if any XKCDians know of any good servers to play on, or just otherwise want to get together to play sometime.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:26 am UTC

Still waiting on a fix for the keybinding issue. I'd have been playing it for some time already if they'd gotten the fundamentals right; Let me bind any key I want to any function I want. But I just shelved it until they fix it.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:54 am UTC

Really? I redid several of the bindings when I started playing and didn't have a problem
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:14 pm UTC

oh, and BTW, I have three guest passes that expire on the 30th if anyone is interested in trying the game out.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:42 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:oh, and BTW, I have three guest passes that expire on the 30th if anyone is interested in trying the game out.

Guest passes expire? Bugger.

psion

Postby psion » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:58 am UTC

I'd love to try it, but as I recall it has no DX9 support.

LTK

Postby LTK » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

I've also got a few of those guest passes. I haven't played the game much since I bought it. It's likely I just suck.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

Fucking Windows 7/Vista requirement.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:48 pm UTC

Wow. Did not know they did guest passes. I've got a Phenny X2 3 Core, with AtI4870 and Windows 7. ;)
The game won me over with the real to space physics and "silent mode". However, I'd prefer to wait untill it's more fleshed out to buy. A guest pass however...
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

They bought into the Nvidia marketing programme, hence why it's only DX10 rather than DX10.1 (out for 2.5 years before the game's release) or DX11 (out for 2 months before release) which, given that this is meant to be a cutting-edge game showing off future technologies is not good. They should have used OpenCL or DirectCompute Physics (or the Havok port to OpenCL that Intel has) rather than PhysX because game physics will surely not be limited to Nvidia cards when it becomes mainstream.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

By the way, I have two guest passes left (on Steam). They let you play the game for three days. They will be gone and kaput on the 31st so in the interest of not wasting them, PM me if you want one. First come, first serve.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:38 am UTC

There is a free weekend for this game on steam right now. Trying it out myself and it seems interesting, probably more so when you're comfortable with maneuvering.

Having just read Ender's Game, I imagine it might be like fighting in the Battle Room. With jetpacks.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:09 pm UTC

I'm not sure if it is the free weekend, but the server browser is really buggy. Having only played the game for an hour, most of the servers I have seen are either at 150% capacity or almost-empty, but reporting themselves as full.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:15 am UTC

the last update improved it in many respects, but the server browser is still pretty weird.

For starters, the capacity doesn't seem to actually tie into anything, I've played with 40-50 other people in a 24 person server at one time.

I haven't seen it over-representing a server's population before, but I do know that's been a problem in other games, so it's possible.

One thing to remember is that the game's netcode is excellent, it's usually playable on servers with ping nearing 200, and even with higher pings, you may see a few people seem to teleport about the map, but otherwise things will play normally, even with lots of lag I've never seent he game turn into a stutter-fest or slideshow like many other multiplayer FPS's can.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:53 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Fucking Windows 7/Vista requirement.

I have a laptop with win7, but my desktop (which is my real gaming rig) is on winXP.

I've been having lots of fun with the free weekend on steam, enough that I'll be buying it to play on my laptop, and it might even get me to un-lazy myself and put win7 on my desktop. I currently suck at it, but it is still fun just trying to figure out a decent playstyle.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:35 am UTC

I'm not sure there's enough variation in the game to buy it... But 10 euro isn't a lot of monies.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

LTK

Postby LTK » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

My laptop is currently just under par to be able to play it properly, so I haven't touched it in a while. Anyway, I'd like to know: Of those of you who have played it, did anyone not suck at it?

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

I got reasonably good at it over a few hours, but I still can't snipe. I don't know if it is muzzle velocity or if I just suck but I don't think I have even ever hit while sniping, let alone killed anyone.
<Cheese> I love you

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:25 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:I got reasonably good at it over a few hours, but I still can't snipe. I don't know if it is muzzle velocity or if I just suck but I don't think I have even ever hit while sniping, let alone killed anyone.

It takes a bit of practice, because people can move in all directions, but you've just got to get used to it. A nice tip is try and draw beads on people who are coasting and not changing speed/direction. If you're not unlucky and they don't thrust somewhere while you're scoped you can predict where they're going easily.

Grenades also take a long time to get to grips with. Expect a good few EMP grenades that you fire to hit yourself.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

I managed to get very good with the MPR grenades. I would use them on CPs at the top of towers and stuff to knock everyone away, then pick them off from a nice bit of cover at the bottom.
<Cheese> I love you

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

Phen wrote:I'm not sure there's enough variation in the game to buy it... But 10 euro isn't a lot of monies.

The new maps are pretty phenomenal, with those plus the already mostly excellent original maps, there's plenty of content, and more is in the works. The maps and mechanics are also well suited to a variety of play styles, you can go from sniping on ISS particularly is well suited to a variety of play styles, and the new maps have lots of cool technical areas where you can easily go from sniping to CQB to running and gunning. Because of the freedom of movement, every map has lots of different facets that you'll never find all of them, I find new cool things or areas just about every time I play.

headprogrammingczar wrote:I got reasonably good at it over a few hours, but I still can't snipe. I don't know if it is muzzle velocity or if I just suck but I don't think I have even ever hit while sniping, let alone killed anyone.

Sniping is pretty difficult, but you should remember that the 'bullets' are hitscan, so there's no muzzle velocity to worry about. the graphic tracers don't really mean anything in terms of where you're bullets are actually landing, which takes some time to get used to.
As I mentioned earlier, the netcode is excellent, so even with a high ping, you won't have to compensate for lag or movement.

The new MPR grenades are much more useful, I've been hit with more MPR grenades int he few times I've played since the update than I had in the entire time I'd played before, before they could be useful for clearing a point, but now they have a lot more utility to get enemies out of cover, and getting rid of MPR boosting knifers is a nice feature too :D
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

So "new MPRs"? I played a few weeks ago and not again since. What did they change about them?

Awia

Postby Awia » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

Instead of just flying you off in a direction they make your screen shake and wobble as well, they're much more annoying/useful now.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

Sounds interesting, maybe it'll bring back some of the interesting dynamics that I always liked in the original Tribes. Sadly with the Win7/Vista req I won't be playing it any time soon. I'm stubbornly stuck on XP.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Axman

Postby Axman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

Look, I'm no fan of British engineering, but if someone said I could drive a Jag for the same price as my Toyota, I'd probably do it.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:11 am UTC

Axman wrote:Look, I'm no fan of British engineering, but if someone said I could drive a Jag for the same price as my Toyota, I'd probably do it.

And when I finally get around to upgrading my existing PC I'll certainly be using 7 but I just can't find my way to buying it when my current operating system works fine and runs (virtually) everything I want to do.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Return to “Gaming”