0197: "Ninja Turtles"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

wisnij

0197: "Ninja Turtles"

Postby wisnij » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:27 am UTC

Good choice on the color scheme. :)
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:36 am UTC

I liked it. :)

It made me laaaaaugh. To the point that I can no longer spell. :)

Wetzilla

Postby Wetzilla » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:40 am UTC

I liked it too, but you really think that Raphael is better known as an artist than a ninja turtle? And that the opposite is true of Michelangelo? I probably would have switched those two.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:53 am UTC

So I'm sure I'm not the only person that's realized this, but the evil characters in Turtles totally parallel those of Star Wars.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

johno

Postby johno » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:56 am UTC

Wetzilla wrote:I liked it too, but you really think that Raphael is better known as an artist than a ninja turtle? And that the opposite is true of Michelangelo? I probably would have switched those two.

I was going to say the same thing.

demeteloaf

Postby demeteloaf » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:19 am UTC

Wetzilla wrote:I liked it too, but you really think that Raphael is better known as an artist than a ninja turtle? And that the opposite is true of Michelangelo? I probably would have switched those two.

Upon seeing this comic for the first time, i had the same thought.

Raphael is too little turtle, and michaelangelo is too much!

akpak

Postby akpak » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:24 am UTC

Yes. Agreed
Resistance is Futile
(Unless over 1Kohm)

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:16 am UTC

"...and if you leave Chris in my hands, the name Griffin will be as well known as Kandinski!"

"Who?"

"Rembrandt?"

"Who?"

"Da Vinci?"

"Who?"

"Bazooka Joe?"

"There you go."

Ah, Family Guy. Teh funniez!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:50 am UTC

I'd put Raphael and Michelangelo the other way around.

Edit: Damnit people have said the same thing already.

predatormc

Postby predatormc » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:54 am UTC

I like it, because the pie charts could also be seen to resemble pizzas. Maybe i'm just hungry.

BaldAdonis

Postby BaldAdonis » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:05 am UTC

aldimond wrote:So I'm sure I'm not the only person that's realized this, but the evil characters in Turtles totally parallel those of Star Wars.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

So who are Tokka and Rahzar? I don't really see the connection.

As for my two cents: I'd give Leonardo maybe ~75% Renaissance. He's not even one of the two most popular turtles.

Canoeman

Postby Canoeman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:18 am UTC

Yeah, Raphael and Michaelangelo should probably switch pie charts.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:38 am UTC

Also a lot might think Batio when they hear Michelangelo as well.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:17 pm UTC

i really liked this comic, but yes, i agree with everyone who has said raphael and michelangelo should swap, i would've put michelangelo right up there with leonardo in the renaissance stakes, but not raphael...
slow down, you move too fast

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:28 pm UTC

This was especially funny since we are currently studying the renesance in history. Rafael is more artist than turtle for me though, atleast atm.

Funny as usual tho :D
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Managore

Postby Managore » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:39 pm UTC

Same thoughts as everyone else, I'd put Leonardo at about 90% artist 10% turtle, maybe as much as 95% to 5%. Michelangelo I'd put as 80% to 20%, or there about. The other two I'd leave where they are. But without some kind of survey these are just my personal opinions, everyone has different cultural experiences.

Clay

Postby Clay » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:41 pm UTC

Awesome comic, I had to try not to laugh cause someone is sleeping here..

Michelangelo > Raphael in Turtleness AND artistness

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:57 pm UTC

are you kidding me? why is everyone ripping on leonardo...

i mean.. who DIDNT play as leonardo in tmnt2...?

leonardo LEADS

Corvin

Postby Corvin » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:45 pm UTC

not according to the ending song of the first movie.

and i quote from memory: "leonardo, michaelangelo, and donatello make up the team with one other fellow. Raphael. he's the leader of the group transformed from the norm by the nuclear goop."

Corvin

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:15 pm UTC

Rat wrote:are you kidding me? why is everyone ripping on leonardo...

leonardo LEADS

Always played Donatello. Donatello does machines, but he also could smack down everything in that game.

Or maybe it was just the guy with the controller who could do that. Ah, yes, gamer bombast...

...if you saw me playing on Quakeworld, you'd see why I don't have any of said attitude there.

richlayers

Postby richlayers » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:25 pm UTC

BaldAdonis wrote:As for my two cents: I'd give Leonardo maybe ~75% Renaissance. He's not even one of the two most popular turtles.

He was always my favorite. But I'm quirky...

opus

Postby opus » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:54 pm UTC

johno wrote:

I was going to say the same thing.

Same here :D

Must be that whole "great minds..." thing or something.
Spread it on your flowers, Greg.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:48 pm UTC

Rat wrote:are you kidding me? why is everyone ripping on leonardo...

leonardo LEADS

Leonardo may be a great Ninja Turtle but nobody doesn't know abuot the Mona Lisa and Leonardo da Vinci.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

strangegod

Google tells me:

Postby strangegod » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:30 pm UTC

wooo.

demeteloaf

Postby demeteloaf » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:34 pm UTC

Well, after reading the news post about what the graph actually represents, i guess it is closer to what i would expect.

In my mind, when i see these piecharts, i think of the each turtle/artist on its own, and which i'm most likely to think of when i hear that name. And in that case, when i hear raphael, i'm much more likely to think turtle than artist, and when i hear michaelangelo, it's the other way around.

However, that's not the actual way the charts are done, and it's rather notoriety compared to all the other turtles vs. notorietey compared to all the other renaissance artists. And in that case, i see how the graphs look the way they do. Raphael is by far the least popular turtle, and michaelangelo is definitly up there in terms of popularity. So i really can see how the graphs appear reversed for the two.

Wikey

Postby Wikey » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:13 am UTC

Yeah, I got the same impression as demeteloaf. I thought it was whether they weere better known as artists or turtles, which is why I was going to say that xkcd should add an asterisk teling of the depressing percentage of people that only know about Da Vinci 'cause of Dan Brown's book.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:28 am UTC

Wikey wrote:Yeah, I got the same impression as demeteloaf. I thought it was whether they weere better known as artists or turtles, which is why I was going to say that xkcd should add an asterisk teling of the depressing percentage of people that only know about Da Vinci 'cause of Dan Brown's book.

The Mona Lisa was the most popular piece of art in the world way before Dan Brown.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:35 am UTC

richlayers wrote:
BaldAdonis wrote:As for my two cents: I'd give Leonardo maybe ~75% Renaissance. He's not even one of the two most popular turtles.

He was always my favorite. But I'm quirky...

No dude, swords are the most awesome, i mean cmon, staff? Those other weapons are totally lame, the dual sword, now that is AWESOME.
Those other weapons pale in comparison. As for the game I always thought he had better reach, and well, im a sucker for swords :P
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

sdb906

Postby sdb906 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:48 am UTC

umm...anyone else really really really really really excited about the new TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES MOVIE?!?!?

perhaps you need a link?

yeah i didn't even know three of those artists existed until somebody said all the teenage mutant ninja turtles were artists. crazy.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:24 am UTC

Corvin wrote:not according to the ending song of the first movie.

and i quote from memory: "Leonardo, Michaelangelo, and Donatello make up the team with one other fellow. Raphael. he's the leader of the group transformed from the norm by the nuclear goop."

Corvin

I counterquote with a recent themesong!
"One! Leonardo's always in control
Two! The wise guy is Michelangelo
Three! Donatello he's the brains of the bunch
Four! Count on Raphael to throw the first punch!"

Clearly Leonardo is the leader. If I had to make a guess he's named Leonardo because Da Vinci is the most recognized of those artists. Who's your favourite? Mine are Leonardo and Donatello, the two characters my brother played constantly on Turtles in Time for the SNES.

Inverse Tiger

Postby Inverse Tiger » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:54 am UTC

I for one welcome any and all analysis of the ninja turtle phenomenon such as this comic.

Dunno if this is just a trick of my mind or what. I got the impression that history books before the turtles came along never really mentioned Donatello. But books written in the 90s and on usually do.

Don's my fave. A lot of people seem to like Raph, but he always grated on me. He comes across as real whiny sometimes. Don's generally the most calm and rational.

paapahparn

Postby paapahparn » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:09 am UTC

fjafjan wrote:No dude, swords are the most awesome, i mean cmon, staff? Those other weapons are totally lame, the dual sword, now that is AWESOME.
Those other weapons pale in comparison. As for the game I always thought he had better reach, and well, im a sucker for swords :P

i think the staff is killer because instead of slashing the guy up, you get to bash him down and say "see? even with my high tech ideas and that you are a robot, you got owned....by a stick. marvel in my brilliance" <cue something shiny>

granted dual ____ = awesome. i think getting beat down by a stick is just plain funny.

oh, and where's bebop and rocksteady in these pie graphs? i bet they are less popular than normal. poor poor guys.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:29 am UTC

Vandole wrote:I counterquote with a recent themesong!
"One! Leonardo's always in control
Two! The wise guy is Michelangelo
Three! Donatello he's the brains of the bunch
Four! Count on Raphael to throw the first punch!"

Ok, the Turtles were from like 1989 so screw the recent. However, screw the quote that led to the counterquote too since you are right, just for the wrong reason.

"Splinter taught them to be ninja teens. Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines! Raphael is cool but rude 'gimme a break,' Michelangelo is a party dude 'party!' Teenage mutant ninja turtles, teenage mutant ninja turtles..."

Myself

Space station modules, too.

Postby Myself » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:06 am UTC

They're also parts of the ISS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Purpose_Logistics_Module

Add a wedge to the chart!

Purple

Postby Purple » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:11 am UTC

This discussion needs to change. It shouldn't be "Which was more known? but instead, "Which was the better artist?" I think all four of the ninja turtles beat their Renaisance counterparts hands down. Fuck the Sistine chapel!

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:40 am UTC

Purple wrote:This discussion needs to change. It shouldn't be "Which was more known? but instead, "Which was the better artist?" I think all four of the ninja turtles beat their Renaisance counterparts hands down. Fuck the Sistine chapel!

Nah, the Vitruvian Man was awesome.

Dooreatoe

Postby Dooreatoe » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:29 am UTC

I'm guessing that some of the popularity difference is due to the fact that Donatello appeared during the Early Italian Renaissance, while the rest appeared during the High Renaissance. Or, he could be more turtle-y because he's the only one that has a weapon that is completely made of wood, and so is more renowned for being the only one with boring, turtle-y wood.

programmerbrad

Postby programmerbrad » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:46 am UTC

sdb906 wrote:umm...anyone else really really really really really excited about the new TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES MOVIE?!?!?

perhaps you need a link?

yeah i didn't even know three of those artists existed until somebody said all the teenage mutant ninja turtles were artists. crazy.

No :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

It's going to suck. It's all CG, not dudes in turtle suits. And they didn't even get important things right like having Casey Jones (Elias Koteas) do the voice for Casey Jones. Or having the band Casey Jones do a song for the movie. (spoilers: Casey Jones is my favorite Turtles character, probably)
"Uninspired by the recruiting call; independent we stand, independent we fall."
Streetlight Manifesto - A Moment of Silence

Wikey

Postby Wikey » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:52 am UTC

william wrote:
Wikey wrote:Yeah, I got the same impression as demeteloaf. I thought it was whether they weere better known as artists or turtles, which is why I was going to say that xkcd should add an asterisk teling of the depressing percentage of people that only know about Da Vinci 'cause of Dan Brown's book.

The Mona Lisa was the most popular piece of art in the world way before Dan Brown.

I thought this was talking about how well known they are now. I'm a senior in high school, I'm fairly certain that less than half of the students in one of my classes would be able to tell you who painted the Mona Lisa.

EDIT: Also, to make it more fair for the turtles, I figured the graphs would only refer to people who were of cartoon watching age when the first TMNT came out, and everyone born after.

milkyway2heaven

Postby milkyway2heaven » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:56 am UTC

This comic made me laff.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”