Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

netcrusher88

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Postby netcrusher88 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

Heh, Utopia. I have a very hard time believing any beer can be worth what they sell that for. Which is not to say I don't want one.

Unrelated: a while ago I had a pint of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA on tap - this stuff is just amazing. It is a hop bomb, but not the in-your-face, almost violent style that some breweries are experimenting with right now. There's a nice strong malt flavor at the beginning to balance out the incredibly strong hops in the finish, which only really come out a few seconds after you sip and are more gentle than you'd expect from any IPA. This is a ponderous kind of beer. My upper lip was numb for the next 18 hours or so, I really have no idea if hops can do that but that's what I blame it on.

Also, Deschutes is bottling a reserve Jubelale: Jubel 2010, "Once a decade ale" (last time they bottled Super Jubel was 2000). I have yet to call to see if they're distributing it as widely as their other reserves, but if not I'm considering bribery to get a few bombers. They also say they're working on Black Butte XXII.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

Oh man, Utopias... I still haven't decided what special occasion I'm saving the opening of my bottle for (It's from the 2007 release).
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:24 pm UTC

Inspired by this thread I decided to try some Strongbow Cider.

..uhhh.....maybe it's an acquired taste but I couldn't even finish the glass. The taste gave me faint memories of the worst beer I ever had, in Vietnam several years ago (which makes me now wonder if I was even drinking beer then) crossed with this really cheap nasty apple-wine we used to drink in high-school because it was dirt cheap.

...Washing that down with a can of Tuborg Premium right now.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:31 pm UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:Heh, Utopia. I have a very hard time believing any beer can be worth what they sell that for. Which is not to say I don't want one.

Well, do you go by cost, or value. It is an exquisite amount of work to get yeast to ferment to that high a gravity. Considering the amount of research that must have gone into it, it's almost (almost) a bargain.

Then again, a rich relative of mine actually tried it, and his exact words were, 'flavour after flavour unfolding in my mouth, all of them unpleasant'

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:50 pm UTC

voidPtr wrote:Inspired by this thread I decided to try some Strongbow Cider.

..uhhh.....maybe it's an acquired taste but I couldn't even finish the glass. The taste gave me faint memories of the worst beer I ever had, in Vietnam several years ago (which makes me now wonder if I was even drinking beer then) crossed with this really cheap nasty apple-wine we used to drink in high-school because it was dirt cheap.

...Washing that down with a can of Tuborg Premium right now.
Strongbow is terrible, one step up from discount branded cider. It's the cheapest cider that is actually advertised in the UK. It is cheap nasty apple-drink.

There is a whole world of tastier ciders out there, such as the sweet Swedish Kopparberg, the classic English Green Goblin and the impressively strong but still tasty Old Rosie.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:33 am UTC

Ugh. Not drinking again for a few days at least. There was a party at my girly's house last night and I downed 4 beers in 1.5 hours (1 bottle of Sam Adams, 3 cans of PBR). Woke up with a mild hangover this morning....headache and nausea. Not fun. It was even less fun when after a few hours of suffering the nausea, I actually did vomit. Thankfully there wasn't much left in my stomach anyway.

I'm a little confused as to how that happened. I've downed 1/2 of a 750 ml bottle of Jack Daniels in the same amount of time before (at a music festival this summer) and woke up feeling fine. I've done that sort of thing on a number of occasions and had no ill consequences. In fact, it's pretty rare that I get hangovers. But I'm used to drinking liquor, so maybe it was the fact that I was drinking beer and I'm not nearly as used to it?
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:38 am UTC

How drunk you get, and how much you suffer the next morning, varies according to how full/empty your stomach is and how dehydrated you are. Additionally, alcohol hits you more quickly when paired with carbonation. But, I dunno, there could be other factors as well.

Regardless, it's not particularly smart to drink a pint bottle of whiskey in one night, so I think you were owed a good hangover after dodging that bullet somehow.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:20 am UTC

I've always heard that the severity of a hangover is related to the quality of the alcohol, so that cheaper booze causes a worse hangover for the same level of inebriation. I don't know if that's true, but if so, that would explain why PBR hit you harder than Jack Daniels.
And although I wouldn't call either of those high quality, I'd still imagine that something filtered would have a lot less impurities than a beer associated with trailer parks and hipsters.

I should mention that both Clintonious and I found that Georgia Moon, a corn whiskey, doesn't cause much of a hangover even after a needlessly large amounts had been consumed. Since corn whiskey is the purest thing I've ever drunk in excess, I'd suspect that the rumor is true.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:37 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Regardless, it's not particularly smart to drink a pint bottle of whiskey in one night, so I think you were owed a good hangover after dodging that bullet somehow.

I must be good at dodging bullets then. I used to do it pretty regularly. I have a decently high tolerance for being as skinny as I am. And generally hold my liquor well. Doing things like that isn't super-common for me, but I have done them a decent amount in the past. Not gonna argue that it might not be smart, but I only do it when I feel like being drunk will make me have more fun, like at a music festival full of people who are stoned, drunk, or on a myriad of other drugs. Not that everyone who goes does them, just after dark those tend to be the ones you run into.

I've only ever had todays mild hangover and 2 extra-strength ones. Both of the extra-strength ones were related to mixed drinks.

Mr. Mack wrote:I've always heard that the severity of a hangover is related to the quality of the alcohol, so that cheaper booze causes a worse hangover for the same level of inebriation. I don't know if that's true, but if so, that would explain why PBR hit you harder than Jack Daniels.
And although I wouldn't call either of those high quality, I'd still imagine that something filtered would have a lot less impurities than a beer associated with trailer parks and hipsters.

I should mention that both Clintonious and I found that Georgia Moon, a corn whiskey, doesn't cause much of a hangover even after a needlessly large amounts had been consumed. Since corn whiskey is the purest thing I've ever drunk in excess, I'd suspect that the rumor is true.

Yeah, I can see how those would be factors. The PBR wasn't really a choice, it was what was available since the Sam Adams I had was 1 of 2 left and I'm better at mingling when I'm slightly tipsy (I've got a little bit of social anxiety).

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

You should also bear in mind how long you're awake and active for after you've stopped drinking. The longer it's been since you've had a drink, the less likely you'll be hungover. It's not a magic bullet, but staying up for an hour or two, and drinking water for the dehydration is the surest way I know to avoid a hangover after really irresponsible drinking. I have on occasion stayed up much later than I got home after a big night out even though I was working the next day, because tired is infinitely easier to deal with than hungover.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

sacamato

Postby sacamato » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

iddqd wrote:Speaking of homebrewing, anyone else does it? I'm on my third batch right now, a pale ale with some orange zest and coriander thrown into the boil. We'll see how it turns out. My last batch was (is) great, a huge porter with whiskey and vanilla beans.

I do! Just got my kit a little while ago and I'm enjoying my first batch just this week - a very tasty Octoberfest (in February, because that's how I roll). Easily comparable to the best Octoberfests I've had (Sam Adams and Brooklyn Brewery), if not better. I like to experiment with making fudge (my last one was Aztec fudge - dark chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla, honey, and cayenne), so I like your experimentation with orange zest and coriander. I'm sticking with trying the basic "kits" for now, but I'll branch out eventually. The only thing holding me back at this point is saving up enough bottles.

There's an awesome home-brew shop in my hometown (also home to Flying Dog Brewery) that lets you brew on premises, if you don't want to buy the equipment or clean it. Awesome place with awesome customers. You can brew beer, wine, or mead there.

Speaking of Aztec, has anyone tried Dogfish Head Theobroma? It's available in 750 mL bottles around me. Very malty (almost scotchy), a little chocolate, and a nice ancho kick at the end.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:01 pm UTC

Speaking of, speaking of homebrewing, I recently tried [Schmaltz's] He'Brew's Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. I normally don't care for IPAs (I think it's the type of hops that I don't care for), but I decided to try this one since it contains rye and is 10% ABV, both things I like.
I'm not 100% on this, but I'm fairly certain that there are not words strong enough, nor numbers high enough, to sufficiently describe the awesome that is this beer. The strength and presence of rye isn't enough to fully justify how great it is, so I'm guessing they used a different kind of hop that I like more, and they used a lot of it. I mean a lot of hops. This beer is as hoppy as a coked-up rabbit on a trampoline.

Back to homebrewing. In a business move I won't claim to understand, He'Brew actually includes the recipes for their beers on their websites. I don't, and can't, homebrew, but I thought people that do might be interested in whipping up their own batch of such an awesome beer.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:51 am UTC

A few other breweries do that too, but generally only for one or two flagship brews. Dogfish Head has a recipe for their 90 minute IPA, I believe - if you have the patience to stand there and hop it for 90 minutes.

Speaking of Dogfish Head, I had a bottle of Raison D'Extra the other night. Not to be confused with Raison D'Etre, which is one of Dogfish Head's year-round flagship brews. D'Extra is the high gravity version, weighing in at 18%1 and brewed with brown sugar. It's almost more like wine than beer at that point, particularly given how sweet it is. It's kind of like drinking raisin syrup with a bit of alcohol burn on the finish and a some malt undertones, but in a good way. This beer is incredibly rich, and I highly recommend a bottle for dessert if you can find it and aren't driving.

1 I'm aware gravity doesn't refer to alcohol content. Mixing terminology there, but it does also happen to be very high gravity.
Last edited by netcrusher88 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire

Slurgi

Postby Slurgi » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:56 am UTC

I'm a bit surprised that searching this thread for "1554" only yielded two results. The stuff is absolutely fantastic and easily my favorite beer. If you have not tried it and are into black ales, give this a shot. It has notes of chocolate and coffee, two of my other favorite things to consume.

Other honorable mentions include: Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, Samuel Adams' Noble Pils, and Newcastle Brown Ale.

(My first post, by the way. Posting a "beer" topic seems like a fitting place to start!)

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:41 am UTC

Slurgi wrote:I'm a bit surprised that searching this thread for "1554" only yielded two results.

I'm surprised too. I could have swore that I had mentioned it at some point. Outside of the excellent quality, 1554 also has an excellent price. I just bought a 22 oz bottle of Stone's Old Guardian for about $7, but I can easily find 1554 for closer to $3.50. I wrote a full review of it here. Here are the tasting notes from that review (spoiler'd for size).

Spoiler:
Appearance
As you can see from the picture, I'm using an oversized wine glass for this review. I'm not sure how this affects head production compared to other glasses.

A half inch head slowly died down to a quarter inch head. This, in turn, looked to be holding its own, but was actually dying down so slowly that it isn't obvious until later. There is currently a thin film covering the entire beer. Pretty impressive considering how wide this glass it.

True to it's name, this is an extremely dark beer. It is not, however, completely black. There are shades of blackish red and orange at the narrowest points of the glass.

After 16 minutes, the head had died down to the point that I'd call it a thin lacey covering.. It took 16 minutes. Guinness 250th Anniversary stout didn't maintain its head that well and it was in a glass actually designed for beer. 1554 has really impressed me in this regard.

Aroma
"Malty as fuck!" I thought to myself. Is it normal to have yelled thoughts?

There's a bit of sweetness and some fruity esters. There's a bit of a tangy scent, sort of like raisins, except not gross (in case no one told you, raisins are gross). There's a savory scent, but I'm having trouble identifying it. It reminds me of charcoal and oak, but I don't think that's it. I think my whiskey tasting has thrown me off. At times it makes me think of a dark, bitter German style chocolate.

There's something else that I'm not sure I have a name for. It kind of reminds me of molasses, but better. Overall I'd say that the fruit and malt are predominant, with the other aromas serving as backup.

This smells really good.

Taste
New Belgium recommends serving this beer at 45°F (7ºC (280.32 K)). Right now mine is closer to 52°F (11ºC (284.26 K)). In theory, this means the tasting will actually go slightly better, although the beer will be less refreshing. Please keep this in mind.
It was perfect when I first poured it, but it warmed up while I was taking pictures. Oops. Guess I'll need to buy two beers for future reviews. Review one and photograph the other. Thankfully, what's left in the bottle is 43ºF (6ºC (279.26 K))

A roasted malt taste shines throughout. There's some sweetness mid-palate, which isn't where sweetness goes, so I'm not real sure what just happened. As the beer warmed up the sweetness eventually disappeared. You know what, this is the most challenging beer I've had in a while. I'd say it's on par with Arrogant Bastard Ale when it comes to complexity and balance. To be clear, this is a good thing.

There's a roasted flavor in the mid-palate (probably malt), with some bitterness in the finish to balance it out. The bitter flavor sort of reminds me of dark chocolate. If I stop concentrating too hard, the chocolate finish becomes very discernible. The fruit esters are on the side of the tongue (again, not where they belong). It's a general fruit taste instead of anything specific. Something else on the side of the tongue, that actually belongs there, is a tangy taste, although I'm hard pressed to identify it by name.

Here's a basic breakdown. Malt through out. Mild sweetness up front, then fruity esters, then roasted something, and finally dark chocolate in the finish.

The only thing that could improve this is if the taste were a little stronger. Although nowhere near subtle, the flavor could be stronger. That seems to be my only issue with this beer, the taste is so good that I want more.

Texture
When warmer than recommended, the texture is excellent, nice and smooth and a little thick. The carbonation is a little irritating in the finish, but not a lot. When at the recommended temperature, the texture is a little prickly at times. What I mean is that the carbonation tends to draw attention to itself. In the long run, this is a non issue.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Slurgi

Postby Slurgi » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:39 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:
Slurgi wrote:I'm a bit surprised that searching this thread for "1554" only yielded two results.

I'm surprised too. I could have swore that I had mentioned it at some point. Outside of the excellent quality, 1554 also has an excellent price. I just bought a 22 oz bottle of Stone's Old Guardian for about $7, but I can easily find 1554 for closer to $3.50. I wrote a full review of it here. Here are the tasting notes from that review (spoiler'd for size).

Spoiler:
Appearance
As you can see from the picture, I'm using an oversized wine glass for this review. I'm not sure how this affects head production compared to other glasses.

A half inch head slowly died down to a quarter inch head. This, in turn, looked to be holding its own, but was actually dying down so slowly that it isn't obvious until later. There is currently a thin film covering the entire beer. Pretty impressive considering how wide this glass it.

True to it's name, this is an extremely dark beer. It is not, however, completely black. There are shades of blackish red and orange at the narrowest points of the glass.

After 16 minutes, the head had died down to the point that I'd call it a thin lacey covering.. It took 16 minutes. Guinness 250th Anniversary stout didn't maintain its head that well and it was in a glass actually designed for beer. 1554 has really impressed me in this regard.

Aroma
"Malty as fuck!" I thought to myself. Is it normal to have yelled thoughts?

There's a bit of sweetness and some fruity esters. There's a bit of a tangy scent, sort of like raisins, except not gross (in case no one told you, raisins are gross). There's a savory scent, but I'm having trouble identifying it. It reminds me of charcoal and oak, but I don't think that's it. I think my whiskey tasting has thrown me off. At times it makes me think of a dark, bitter German style chocolate.

There's something else that I'm not sure I have a name for. It kind of reminds me of molasses, but better. Overall I'd say that the fruit and malt are predominant, with the other aromas serving as backup.

This smells really good.

Taste
New Belgium recommends serving this beer at 45°F (7ºC (280.32 K)). Right now mine is closer to 52°F (11ºC (284.26 K)). In theory, this means the tasting will actually go slightly better, although the beer will be less refreshing. Please keep this in mind.
It was perfect when I first poured it, but it warmed up while I was taking pictures. Oops. Guess I'll need to buy two beers for future reviews. Review one and photograph the other. Thankfully, what's left in the bottle is 43ºF (6ºC (279.26 K))

A roasted malt taste shines throughout. There's some sweetness mid-palate, which isn't where sweetness goes, so I'm not real sure what just happened. As the beer warmed up the sweetness eventually disappeared. You know what, this is the most challenging beer I've had in a while. I'd say it's on par with Arrogant Bastard Ale when it comes to complexity and balance. To be clear, this is a good thing.

There's a roasted flavor in the mid-palate (probably malt), with some bitterness in the finish to balance it out. The bitter flavor sort of reminds me of dark chocolate. If I stop concentrating too hard, the chocolate finish becomes very discernible. The fruit esters are on the side of the tongue (again, not where they belong). It's a general fruit taste instead of anything specific. Something else on the side of the tongue, that actually belongs there, is a tangy taste, although I'm hard pressed to identify it by name.

Here's a basic breakdown. Malt through out. Mild sweetness up front, then fruity esters, then roasted something, and finally dark chocolate in the finish.

The only thing that could improve this is if the taste were a little stronger. Although nowhere near subtle, the flavor could be stronger. That seems to be my only issue with this beer, the taste is so good that I want more.

Texture
When warmer than recommended, the texture is excellent, nice and smooth and a little thick. The carbonation is a little irritating in the finish, but not a lot. When at the recommended temperature, the texture is a little prickly at times. What I mean is that the carbonation tends to draw attention to itself. In the long run, this is a non issue.

An excellent and accurate review, for sure, but I'm a bit surprised that there was no mention of notes of coffee flavor. That's usually the first thing my friends make note of as I anxiously anticipate their "first impression" when I give them a 1554.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

I've seen it on the shelf and been tempted, but I'm not wild about coffee and I only like maybe one out of three chocolate stouts I try. Up to this point I've always ended up getting something other than the 1554, and that trend will probably continue as long as there are good-looking things on the shelf I haven't tried, in styles I'm more excited about.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

Slurgi wrote:An excellent and accurate review, for sure, but I'm a bit surprised that there was no mention of notes of coffee flavor. That's usually the first thing my friends make note of as I anxiously anticipate their "first impression" when I give them a 1554.

Good catch. I think I see what I did. A lot of the coffee notes found in some beers comes from the roasting of the malts (I think). The problem is that before I knew any better, my coffee of choice was Folgers. As a result, I still think of "coffee" as a very bitter and slightly burnt flavor, like something found in stouts. But now that you mention it, the flavor I was describing probably was very similar to good coffee, something like Eight O'Clock coffee.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

netcrusher88

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Postby netcrusher88 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:52 am UTC

Somebody mentioned Paulaner Salvator already, I think, but it bears mentioning again. It claims to be the original doppelbock, a style originally brewed to replace bread during lent. Weighing in at 7.9% abv, this beer tastes like a high-octane turkey sandwich. It sounds weird, but it's delicious.

Next up tonight is New Belgium's spring seasonal Mighty Arrow, named after and brewed as tribute to one owner's dog who used to pretty much live at the brewery. I haven't had this one in about a year and I hadn't been drinking beer long at the time - I identified notes of grass clippings (a friend describes it as "lawn mowing beer") but didn't really like it. A year later and more acclimated to beer, I find it to be a wonderfully balanced pale ale. It has some similarity to Fat Tire but it's much lighter bodied and the emphasis is more on the smooth hops in the finish rather than a biscuit-y malt flavor (which isn't there in Mighty Arrow).
Sexothermic

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:43 am UTC

I picked up a six of Glissade, the spring seasonal from Sierra Nevada that's labeled as a golden bock. Very aptly marketed; it's one of those drinkable warm-weather brews that's mostly smooth but with some hops bite to keep you paying attention. Tastes great, not an "exciting" beer but definitely one that I would go to for having some company over or a picnic, and probably a beer I'll pick up at least once every spring.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:32 pm UTC

Had a beer while out to eat with my girlfriend earlier this week. It was a pub, so beer was the main beverage being served (unless you like liquor with dinner). I saw Yeungling and one other beer I knew I liked a bit on there (Blue Moon?), but decided to try something different on a whim. And what a whim it was! The beer in question was Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. It was delicious and went perfectly with my burger (which was also deliciously made). My girlfriend, who's less of a beer person than me, tried it and was wowed as well. She said it's the first beer she's actually tried where she enjoyed it and wanted more. So huzzah for trying new things!

netcrusher88

Re: chocolate milk is proof that Jehova loves us and wants u

Postby netcrusher88 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:10 am UTC

Did the Red Hook Woodinville brewery tour Friday with friends, it's becoming a quarterly tradition (four seasons, four seasonals). Three new beers.

Limited Edition Eisbock: It turns out this one is 11%, which I didn't know before I ordered it. Anyway, I don't know much about bocks but it's nicely balanced, you don't notice the alcohol. Fairly high gravity, but a kind of medium-heavy body. Dessert beer.
Mud Slinger Spring Ale: A nut brown, which is odd for spring - most spring ales are pales. I was surprised when I got the sample of this because it tastes and feels more like a fall seasonal - very warm, smooth, medium body. Then the person giving the tour said that it used to be their fall seasonal. Anyway, very much a Pacific Northwest spring - it is exactly what you'd want on a rainy, windy spring day.
Copperhook: A fine copper ale. I've never seen this one elsewhere, but I don't know why - it's pretty good.

I managed to track down a 4-pack of GUBNA Imperial IPA, the latest in Oskar Blues' series of ridiculously overproof yet delicious (and fairly expensive) canned beer stamped on the bottom with some clever phrase or tagline (in addition to all over the can). This one is stamped "hop grenade" (hop bomb in a can, I guess) and it lives up to it at 10.0% and 100 IBU. This beer is so hoppy it smells like weed - when you first open the can and pour it, it smells almost exactly like fresh flowering marijuana and kind of tastes like it smells, which is weird. This beer really needs to warm up and breathe a bit - once it does, the hops open up nicely and sharpen a little bit and that bizarrely spot-on weed smell and flavor (mostly) goes away. This beer is all about hops - what malt flavor there is just builds toward the hop burn and bite.
Sexothermic

Aardvarki

Re: chocolate "milk" is proof that Jehova loves us and wants

Postby Aardvarki » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

Looking through this thread quickly, I found multiple references to Dogfish Head's 90 minute IPA but nearly no references to the 120 minute.

The first time I tried the 90 Minute, I commented that it was "the best beer I'd ever tried". I'm a huge hophead and love the kick of hops from strong IPAs (Arrogant Bastard is another one of my favorites), but the second the 120 Minute hit my lips I was forever changed.

I expected the 120 minute to be like a punch in the face compared to the strength of the 90 minute. In reality, it was silky-smooth and had very strong fruit flavors. The hops were very apparent but not nearly as harsh as other strong IPAs. I was unaware such a flavor could be had from a beer with over 10% ABV.

I would recommend this beer to anyone, but anyone who likes the 90 minute but has not tried the 120 is doing themselves a disservice. Only downside, it is EXPENSIVE. Almost $80 a case here in Pittsburgh, but well worth it if you like your beer strong and flavorful.
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:00 am UTC

Has anyone else here ever tried Black Sheep's Monty Python's Holy Grail? Despite being a bit gimmicky, it's actually a pretty good pale ale. There's a full review of it here.

On a side note, guess who's a featured writer on ThatGuyWiththeGlasses.com? Here's a hint, it isn't me.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

Yes, I've had it a number of times. It's quite enjoyable.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

Started my first batch of home brewed beer last night - rather than mess around with the kits in cans that never seem to produce quality beer, I went with a extract with specialty grains recipe. Few more steps involved, but apparently it's way better than all-extract brews.

Just hoping now that when I go back home this afternoon I'll see it happily bubbling away...
I don't know what to do for you

themousetrap

Postby themousetrap » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:18 am UTC

600+ posts and almost no mention of Shiner. I absolutely love everything that comes out of the Spoetzl brewery. I can drink Shiner Bock/Light anytime, and Shiner Black is great with man-foods like burgers and steak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiner_(beer)

And not a single word about Ziegenbock. Sure, it's distributed only in Texas and macro'd by Anheuser-Busch, but there has to be at least one other Texan here who enjoys the stuff.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:21 am UTC

Oh hey, I finally got a six of Anchor Steam Beer. Not bad. Nothing to write home about, I'm sorry to say, but not bad.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:30 am UTC

I know people have asked about gluten-free beers so I picked up a bottle of Lakeside Brewery's New Grist, which apparently was the first widely-distributed sorghum (other grain: rice) ale. Predates Redbridge (which I refuse to buy on account of it being Anheuser-Busch) by about a year I think.

Lakeside labels this as a session ale, and although it's 5.75% which is a bit high for session beer, the flavor serves nicely. Pours crystal clear and kind of apple juice color with a very light, kind of flat soda-like head that goes away quickly. Leaves some pretty lace but that too goes away before you're likely to notice it. Bizarre nose, kind of a citrus-y apple. Feels light and watery. The flavor is... hard to describe. There's something in there akin to sake (hello, rice) but it's overpowered by a sweet grain flavor that I assume is the sorghum, though it's gone through about five different fruit flavors as it's warmed too. There isn't much hop to this beer, and the finish is for lack of a better word careless - it's kind of hef-like, combined with that aftertaste that apple juice leaves. Only wrong - the beer itself is tasty so I kind of want to wash it down with the rest of the six pack and hope I don't notice the aftertaste at that point. New Grist has a light-medium body and a soda-like fizziness which works surprisingly well.

Overall it's kind of like a weird light Belgian but without the yeast backbone that makes Belgian ales Belgian ales.

I hesitate to call this a bad beer, because my baseline for bad is garbage like PBR and Coors - American pisslager. Given it's a very new style, New Grist is surprisingly palatable and very quaffable. If you're on a gluten-free diet and need your beer fix, this is the way to go. Likewise if you're up for an experiment. Otherwise, there's no shortage of craftbrew session beers - personally I'd jump for Full Sail Session lager (yes, it's actually called Session and comes in stubbies) but it's available for about $1/bottle in 12-cases around here.

Check in this weekend for my review of He'Brew (The Chosen Beer) Lenny's Bittersweet RIPA (Rye IPA). I'd drink it now but it's a bomber of 10% IIPA and I'd really rather split that.

EDIT: a few things experienced while in Boston:
Harpoon IPA: Everywhere in Boston, and a masterful IPA. This was my default beer.
John Harvard's brewpub:
Gravedigger (could be Graveyard or something) ESB: wonderful ESB. Was like Red Hook but better, therefore one of two things they had at the time that made me think of home, the other being
Pacific Coast Pale Ale: Yep, that there's some Cascade hops. Northwest IPA, a spot-on reproduction of the style.
'08 Imperial Stout: Until such time as I crack open an 18 month-old bottle of The Abyss or have it on tap, this vies for the position of my favorite stout, smooth, strong, and lethally potent. Unfortunately, that batch is gone.
Sam Adams brewery tour:
Boston Lager: palatable bottled, takes on a whole new character on tap. Masterful lager.
Noble Pils: The name amuses me because it's noble hops that make pils pils. Very different from any American pilsener, this is almost violently hoppy. Excellent czech pils.
Brick Red: Only available on tap in Boston. Period. Another fantastic beer, but honestly there's a certain flavor running under all three of these that kind of feels overused.
Sexothermic

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:37 am UTC

I'm returning this afternoon to the same Real Ale Festival I went to on Friday, where the nicest beer I tried was from http://woodenhand.co.uk/ (the Cornish Mutiny I think). Cornish beer is really growing on me, starting of course with the excellent Sharp's Doom Bar.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:49 am UTC

uncivlengr wrote:Started my first batch of home brewed beer last night

Home-made beer? Could you tell us more about the equipment involved?

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I'm returning this afternoon to the same Real Ale Festival I went to on Friday, where the nicest beer I tried was from http://woodenhand.co.uk/ (the Cornish Mutiny I think). Cornish beer is really growing on me, starting of course with the excellent Sharp's Doom Bar.

Doom Bar is v. tasty. I also quite like the St. Austell's range, especially since my local off-license has it.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:57 am UTC

Grop wrote:
uncivlengr wrote:Started my first batch of home brewed beer last night

Home-made beer? Could you tell us more about the equipment involved?
There are quite a few sites and books on the topic, this website being the best available for free, but essentially, you need a large stockpot for brewing the grains/boiling the extract, a plastic bucket with a tight fitting lid, another glass carboy to transfer the beer into after the primary fermentation (this may be optional), airlocks for both containers, plastic tubing to siphon from one container to another, and then a bunch of little things like stirring spoons, measuring cups, bottle brushes, spray bottles, etc.

For bottling, you either need the Grolsch-type bottles with the swingtop, or regular bottles and a capper.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:48 pm UTC

Flip-top bottles are awesome. Tend to run a bit expensive, though :(

Is that a hydrometer in front of the canning pot there?
Sexothermic

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:11 pm UTC

Expensive? They sell them at IKEA really cheaply.

You do get them on some more expensive beer though, if that's what you mean.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm not using a hydrometer, though - that's an image from the link I posted (which comprises the majority of my knowledge on the subject).

The hydrometer becomes critical if you're designing a recipe "from scratch", or doing all grain brews... with the pre-measured recipe I got, it's not going to be as hard to judge by eye - roughly three days in the primary and two weeks in the secondary.

I've been able to find fliptops bottles for sale on the online classifieds for $10 a dozen... cheaper than buying them new, and will definitely be worth it when it comes to bottling time.

Another important piece of equipment that I didn't mention is a thermometer - for steeping the grains, you need to reach the optimal temperature, and you also need to ensure that the wort is sufficiently cooled after boiling before adding the yeast. I just have a cheap digital one for the oven that has the probe attached to a long wire. Those stick-on thermometers that they have for fish tanks, etc, are great to just stick on the side of your fermenter to keep track of that.

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

Since I began studying at university last year I've somehow realized that all beer doesn't taste like crap. In fact, there are several kinds that are quite awesome. For instance, I found that I particularly like good porter. The problem is: I don't know much about beer, and wonder if you have any recommendations, specifically regarding porter. Anything I should try? anything I should avoid?

I have looked throught this thread a bit and got some ideas already, but more is always appreciated. :)
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

The great thing about beer (and a lot of other things) is that it's not a life-long commitment - you can try something, not like it, and try something else.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

grythyttan wrote:I don't know much about beer, and wonder if you have any recommendations, specifically regarding porter. Anything I should try?

Black Butte Porter - Deschutes Brewery (Bend, OR)
Robust Porter - Smuttynose Brewery (Portsmouth, NH)

There are no porters you should not try.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Road Porter - Flying Dog Brewery
Moor Porter - Cisco Brewery (had this one last night actually)
Deep Enders Dark Porter - Andersen Valley Brewing (one of my favorites!)

Return to “Food”