Why would I need to blow up the moon?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

You, sir, name?

Re: Why would I need to blow up the moon?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:Sick of hearing about astrology? Blowing up the moon could be the first step in getting rid of all observable bodies beyond the Earth.

Yeah, I can totally buy it for the sake of shouting "WHERE IS YOUR MOON NOW?!" to astrologists, twilight fans, and other people I hold a general dislike towards.

One could also use it as a diversion. You know those times when the news just won't stop going on about some event that happened ages ago and you don't care about. Well, that's a good time to blow up the frickin' moon to give them something new to suck on.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Mr_Rose

Postby Mr_Rose » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

EUREKA!

To revitalise the global economy!

See, the moon blows up and suddenly there's a humungous number of asteriods out there threatening Earth, so we need to invest massively in an emergency space-program to build three tiny ships with pew-pew lasers to go blow them up and save the day. To do this would also require loads of international cooperation, a massive re-education programme, and unnumbered other miscellaneous projects that will supply jobs and drive social change for decades to come.

Basically, planetary-scale gentrification.

Also, the view of the stars would be so much better without that giant light in he sky.
Microevolution is a term — when used by creationists — that is the evolutionary equivalent of the belief that the mechanism you use to walk from your bedroom to the kitchen is insufficient to get you from New York to Los Angeles.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:54 pm UTC

Cause in the late 2000's Humanity transformed the moon into a giant warehouse for all the abandoned nuclear weapons and now we have no other means with which to dismantle them than to blow the whole thing up?

Or possibly we dumped all of our nuclear waste on it until its mass was changed to such an extent its orbit was shifted and is now causing all kinds of problems?

It's in the way of our soon-to-be-built (and massively oversized) space elevator that we just have to build?

Alternate history: In 1968 the Apollo program completely fails and rather than having US citizens constantly look up at a Red Moon they decide to blow it out of the sky so no-one can have it? (Or alternatively, the Soviets do it)

We really wanna blow up Europa and need some target practice?

The fact that the sun and the moon appear almost the exact same size when viewed from Earth finally freaks us all out so much one of 'em has to go?

NASA wanted to land a small, unmanned rover on its surface and something went hideously, hideously wrong?

If the moon isn't with us, it's against us?

We think that's where Osama is hiding?
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

rocketrat

Postby rocketrat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:22 am UTC

There actually is life on the moon, and it's trying to blow up the earth first?

dg61

Postby dg61 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:59 am UTC

Not quite the same, but close enough:
http://www.ftg-comic.com/2009/07/28/
"The Elder God rearing out of the ocean now told me to do it" should be enough of an excuse for most nonsense.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:21 pm UTC

How about:

-A large meteorite collided with the moon and deflected its orbit such that it will fall into the Earth.
-An alien army has set up camp on the moon and is planning to invade the Earth from it
-We're trying to build an interstellar highway and the path happens to pass right through the moon
-The Russians were going to do it first so the Americans had to beat them to it

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:33 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:-An alien army has set up camp on the moon and is planning to invade the Earth from it

I think there is a Doctor Who serial with this premise. I think it was the cybermen or something.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

genghis007 wrote:
BlackSails wrote:
Spoiler:
genghis007 wrote:
BlackSails wrote:You could have a terrible reaction to sunlight and want to make sure the sun is blotted out from the sky

How would blowing up the moon blot the sun out from the sky?

There is going to be a very large amount of dust

good point, but there are also going to be many large pieces of debris on a collision course with Earth, I doubt the dust is going to be our biggest problem

It's not a problem, because that's what we want!
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:11 pm UTC

cos the moon killed you father
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:19 pm UTC

I accidentally the whole moon.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:58 am UTC

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:24 am UTC

The upper layers of the moon's regolith are rich in helium-3 thanks to bombardment by the solar wind. Helium-3 is highly useful in fusion reactors, so you can increase the supply by blowing the moon into dust, increasing the area exposed to the solar wind.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:08 pm UTC

hawkmp4 wrote:Testing a weapon that's going to be needed to destroy an asteroid that's going to hit Earth some time later?
Don't you mean: Testing a weapon that's going to be needed to destroy Earth some time later?

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:The upper layers of the moon's regolith are rich in helium-3 thanks to bombardment by the solar wind. Helium-3 is highly useful in fusion reactors, so you can increase the supply by blowing the moon into dust, increasing the area exposed to the solar wind.

You call 10 ppb rich? That's 100,000,000 tons of regolith to 1 ton of helium 3.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

rocketrat

Postby rocketrat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:17 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:The upper layers of the moon's regolith are rich in helium-3 thanks to bombardment by the solar wind. Helium-3 is highly useful in fusion reactors, so you can increase the supply by blowing the moon into dust, increasing the area exposed to the solar wind.

Damn, ninja'd.

Anyway, I can add that it is possible that a new, unexpectedly large amount of He-3 could be discovered in the core? Realistic geology being ignored/violated for all I know. Hence, wanting to get it out.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:19 pm UTC

rocketrat wrote:

Damn, ninja'd.

Anyway, I can add that it is possible that a new, unexpectedly large amount of He-3 could be discovered in the core? Realistic geology being ignored/violated for all I know. Hence, wanting to get it out.

Realism aside, in the context of this thread, there's only one way to know for sure - blow it up!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

iop wrote:To combat global warming while getting rid of the world's nuclear warheads in a convenient way (it's better than dumping them into the ocean, or than to disassemble them by hand one by one).

Yeah, but for enough energy to blow up the moon we'd first need to build a few orders of magnitude more warheads. Seems somewhat bass-ackwards to me...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

The point of warheads is deployability. You can blow up the Moon with some fixed, arbitrarily large, Earth based installation, assuming this is a global effort and not a (rogue) mad scientist scheme that requires secrecy. There isn't necessarily a reverse dependency, given an appropriately magical directed energy technology :)

I could also imagine a warhead trade-off, say for stability.. one might have antimatter warheads that are safe enough for local use, but for interstellar conquest, you really need that Helium-3 stuff..
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

Or possibly we dumped all of our nuclear waste on it until its mass was changed to such an extent its orbit was shifted and is now causing all kinds of problems?

Would someone like to run the numbers on this? How much of the mass of the Earth would need to be transferred to the Moon to make a noticeable difference?

For satellites that are much less massive than the primary, the orbital period & radius is essentially independant of the mass, and the centre of the primary can be considered as the centre of the orbit. But the Moon is quite large and the centre of its orbit is certainly not the centre of the Earth, athough it is still inside the body of the Earth.

The centre of Jupiter's orbit is not within the body of the Sun. Partly because Jupiter is fairly massive, but mostly because it's so far away. (The Jupiter : Sun mass ratio is smaller than the Moon : Earth mass ratio.)

matthew turnage

Postby matthew turnage » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:51 pm UTC

im wondering if the guy has done his project yet? and the guy who talked about getting the energy that will come from blowing up the moon the kinetic energy the net energy was in my opinion the best reason

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Yes, the moon has on average 40 times more orbital energy per kg than it does gravitational energy. But how do you propose to actually get ahold of that energy from an exploded moon?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

matthew turnage

Postby matthew turnage » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:41 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Yes, the moon has on average 40 times more orbital energy per kg than it does gravitational energy. But how do you propose to actually get ahold of that energy from an exploded moon?

interesting. that requires a lot of thought.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:27 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Yes, the moon has on average 40 times more orbital energy per kg than it does gravitational energy. But how do you propose to actually get ahold of that energy from an exploded moon?

Tidal power... oh wait we already "antecedently the whole moon!"
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:55 pm UTC

To see if and how long we could survive if you did such a thing.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

Robstickle wrote:To see if and how long we could survive if you did such a thing.

Ooh, I like this. Let's rephrase it to allude to Calvin and Hobbs, though: "To build character."

matthew turnage

Postby matthew turnage » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:50 am UTC

DreadArchon wrote:
Robstickle wrote:To see if and how long we could survive if you did such a thing.

Ooh, I like this. Let's rephrase it to allude to Calvin and Hobbs, though: "To build character."

me too. and you should put something about a sled in there

rocketrat

Postby rocketrat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:29 am UTC

Perhaps a better question could be asked: Why wouldn't you need to blow up the moon? It will achieve at least as much as landing on it did, and it's not like they had any particularly good reasons.

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:47 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:
Turtlewing wrote:Werewolves?

Spoiler:

I am now enamored with this idea. You could say that a lycanthrope disease was invented and the amount of light coming from the moon causes it to become active.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:19 am UTC

Turtlewing

Postby Turtlewing » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:33 pm UTC

rocketrat wrote:Perhaps a better question could be asked: Why wouldn't you need to blow up the moon? It will achieve at least as much as landing on it did, and it's not like they had any particularly good reasons.

So you're saying "we choose to blow up the moon and do the other things not because it is easy, but because it is hard"?

D.B.

Postby D.B. » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

All I can think of is Dr Strangelove. Given how much destroying the moon would messup the earth, having a proven capability to do so seems an excellent MAD-style second strike mechanism. In the right political climate I'm sure people would pay you to develop such a thing.

iop

Postby iop » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
iop wrote:To combat global warming while getting rid of the world's nuclear warheads in a convenient way (it's better than dumping them into the ocean, or than to disassemble them by hand one by one).

Yeah, but for enough energy to blow up the moon we'd first need to build a few orders of magnitude more warheads. Seems somewhat bass-ackwards to me...

How many nukes would we need to blow up the moon (also: would there be an alternative to nukes?)? If it turns out that we need to build so many new nukes that we run out of U235, it means that not only we'd get rid of the existing nukes, but that we'd make sure there won't be any more new nukes for quite a few years.

olubunmi

Postby olubunmi » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

The first reason I could think of: because the moon is too bright. It shines through the curtains when I'm trying to sleep.

Alternatively, you will have to blow up the moon if you want to prevent spring tide.

By the way, there's also a petition running to have the moon blown up.
What are you waiting for? SIGN IT

genghis007

Postby genghis007 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

matthew turnage wrote:im wondering if the guy has done his project yet? and the guy who talked about getting the energy that will come from blowing up the moon the kinetic energy the net energy was in my opinion the best reason

I've not written the project yet, that's what I plan to do this week. There's so many ideas here, I've had to spend quite a lot of time sifting through trying to find some that are actually viable, which sadly dis-counted some of the funniest :(

I'm going to have to go with the Hyperspace Bypass idea, basically how the Vogon's could have destroyed the moon using humanity's technology (they forgot about the moon when they packed) maybe with the inclusion of anti-matter if I'm feeling adventurous.

Actually that sounds like rubbish, I'm gonna have to keep thinking
Click here to make a clicking sound

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

Let's face it, you've obviously got your heart set on blowing up the moon for your science thing at this point and, realistically, no-one's going to deter you from that goal. Wouldn't it just be easier for everyone if we accept that this is now something you're going to do, regardless of reason? Isn't that enough? What more would you ask of a man?
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:41 pm UTC

"Europa is too remote to make an effective demonstration - but don't worry; we will deal with your Galilean friends soon enough."
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:14 am UTC

Win!

Shokk

Postby Shokk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:57 am UTC

Mr_Rose wrote:Also, the view of the stars would be so much better without that giant light in he sky.

Next up: The Sun!

Can't be dependent on that bastard for TOO long can we? If we want to really stand out as a species then we need to stop sucking on mama's teat, knife her in the eye, and get on with making a wholly autonomous planet, by golly!

How? Hell if I know, but it's the next step to PROGRESS, dammit!

Alternatively "it's obstructing your view of Venus" (applies to both the Sun AND Moon!) Although I guess without the sun you wouldn't have much of a view of anything to speak of.
I have a pair of pants.

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:45 am UTC

To get at those vast, untapped resources of Cheese that have been sitting on the moon, uneaten.

Think about it - with the constant rain of cheese from above, hunger will be eliminated!
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:24 pm UTC

Alternate project: Assume the moon is made of cheese and that you are successful in blowing it up. How much of the earth's population will suffer burns from melted cheese meteorites?
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Return to “Science”