Accused of Cheating

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Accused of Cheating

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:51 pm UTC

the_phoenix612 wrote:The other girl, in the immediate aftermath, was cleared of any wrongdoing immediately by the professor, again on the word of the TA. I believe the phrase used was "completely clear of any wrongdoing. You have nothing to worry about".

Either you aren't telling us the full story, or you don't know what else is going on there. But personally, if someone else involved was being wantonly cleared of any charges, especially given that she was the guilty party, I would be a little more active in ensuring equal treatment.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
the_phoenix612 wrote:The other girl, in the immediate aftermath, was cleared of any wrongdoing immediately by the professor, again on the word of the TA. I believe the phrase used was "completely clear of any wrongdoing. You have nothing to worry about".

Either you aren't telling us the full story, or you don't know what else is going on there. But personally, if someone else involved was being wantonly cleared of any charges, especially given that she was the guilty party, I would be a little more active in ensuring equal treatment.

I have nothing to gain by misleading a (largely) anonymous internet forum from which I am seeking advice. That is absurd. It is readily apparent to anybody reading that I'm a HUGE idiot by getting myself into this. I should have gotten up and moved. All of this is my fault and I suffer no delusions otherwise.
Vi verborum omnia superabo

sikyon

Postby sikyon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

You're making the smart decision by just dropping the class. There is no such thing as total vindication, the rest of your classes with that prof are going to be tainted.

However, if I were you I might inquire as to whether the campus newspaper would be interested in running a story(you could be anonymous, but perhaps a general story on the issues of cheating). At least that way it helps spread the lessons learned by your experiences. I find that if I just sit there and take something without doing anything, there is this itch in my moral concionce which I cannot seem to scratch. Maybe just me, though.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:17 pm UTC

Ah. Gotcha.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:59 am UTC

Oh god. I usually write little on my essays, but on a 2500 word one worth 30% of the final grade, I really did a good job. The teacher gave me a B, citing the reason as, and I quote, "the use of words is masterful. You expressed the concepts clearly, wrote just what you needed to. That is why I doubt this is yours." After I complained, challenged, and denied the accusations, the grade went up to a B+, then A, then A+. His main doubt was that if I could make a good essay, why I don't do it all the time. He did not understand that a work worth almost a third of the annual grade requires extra effort.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:48 am UTC

kernelpanic wrote:Oh god. I usually write little on my essays, but on a 2500 word one worth 30% of the final grade, I really did a good job. The teacher gave me a B, citing the reason as, and I quote, "the use of words is masterful. You expressed the concepts clearly, wrote just what you needed to. That is why I doubt this is yours." After I complained, challenged, and denied the accusations, the grade went up to a B+, then A, then A+. His main doubt was that if I could make a good essay, why I don't do it all the time. He did not understand that a work worth almost a third of the annual grade requires extra effort.

That is ridiculous. If he thinks it isn't yours, he has no business giving you a passing grade on it. Either fail you or do nothing. I'm glad that turned out well for you.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Hire a lawyer

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:55 am UTC

I understand that fighting with this professor will likely taint the rest of your contact with him, but gosh, isn't there anything to be said for dignity these days? I would feel absolutely belittled and take him to the grave over it. Do you have any other classes to take that he will be teaching? I know exactly what professors teach what for the rest of my degree so I'm careful not to cross any of them until I'm done with them.

I just feel like you can't buy your reputation, and when it's blatantly spat upon, you need to go to bat for yourself.

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:20 pm UTC

Windmill wrote:I understand that fighting with this professor will likely taint the rest of your contact with him, but gosh, isn't there anything to be said for dignity these days? I would feel absolutely belittled and take him to the grave over it. Do you have any other classes to take that he will be teaching? I know exactly what professors teach what for the rest of my degree so I'm careful not to cross any of them until I'm done with them.

I just feel like you can't buy your reputation, and when it's blatantly spat upon, you need to go to bat for yourself.

While I certainly share your indignant rage, I would appreciate if anyone could answer:

Given the outcome I've already negotiated, why risk that for further retribution? Nothing is going on my permanent record and I've dropped the class. I see no reason why I should progress further.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

Because:
A> You lost any and all of the work you did for the class,
B> In the view of anyone who isn't you, this looks a lot like the actions of someone guilty of cheating -- the more details get out, the worse (your "permanent record" is not the only thing that matters),
C> You encourage this kind of behaviour in your TA and Professor, as they get away with it with no negative repercussions, making the world a worse place.
D> You chose the cowards way out, which may have some kind of mental impact on your own self-worth.

These don't have to be strong enough reasons to not to back down and run away from the bad situation, these reasons exist.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

I just had a funny thought. What kind of prof is he? Ph.D. student, Post-doc, lecturer, adjunct, faculty, tenured? Also, is the TA his grad student (ie. his research supervisor)?

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:47 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:Hire a lawyer

Agreed.

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:49 pm UTC

achan1058 wrote:I just had a funny thought. What kind of prof is he? Ph.D. student, Post-doc, lecturer, adjunct, faculty, tenured? Also, is the TA his grad student (ie. his research supervisor)?

Very much tenured. Global expert in his field.

My father is a lawyer, guys, and he agrees with me on this one.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:29 am UTC

the_phoenix612 wrote:
achan1058 wrote:I just had a funny thought. What kind of prof is he? Ph.D. student, Post-doc, lecturer, adjunct, faculty, tenured? Also, is the TA his grad student (ie. his research supervisor)?

Very much tenured. Global expert in his field.
In which case you are dealing with a dude who probably doesn't care about undergrads, or in fact even hate teaching undergrad classes. If your university is not a major university, they might be afraid of losing him, and would probably suck up to him......

In this case I would agree dropping the course would be the best option. However, if I want revenge, I might just start looking at publishing it at the school newspaper or something. That would seriously damage the reputation of the related people. (yourself included)

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:04 am UTC

Oh, man...I was a proctor for a makeup exam this week, and I thought I saw a girl cheating, and reported it...I wasn't positive, but was nervous enough about what I saw to tell the professor. What if I was wrong and caused her big trouble? Now I have major guilt. D:

(I don't think she got in any trouble though...the teacher came in and gave them the evil eye, but I think he honestly just thought I was chomping at the bit to report someone - which of course I wasn't, just scared to not say something and have it turn out they were. Oh, well - I guess I'd hear about it if it was being pursued, and I haven't.)

</off topic rambling>

On topic: This, of course, is so not good...honestly I'm not sure what to tell you, except you have my sympathies. I'm inclined to say I'd fight them to the depths of hell no matter what the cost, but then again I've never been in your shoes (thank goodness). Hope it all works out for you. :|
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

Cheezwhiz Jenkins wrote:Oh, man...I was a proctor for a makeup exam this week, and I thought I saw a girl cheating, and reported it...I wasn't positive, but was nervous enough about what I saw to tell the professor. What if I was wrong and caused her big trouble? Now I have major guilt. D:
The other TA for the exam we proctored thought he spotted someone cheating too. They collected those 2 papers (the cheater and the target) after the exam and separated those 2 from the rest of them, so they can compared the answers to check whether it is really cheating. After a brief look at the supposed cheater and see that the exam is mostly junk/blanks, we decided to simply throw it back into the rest of the pile, since he isn't going to pass, cheating or not.

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:41 pm UTC

achan1058 wrote:The other TA for the exam we proctored thought he spotted someone cheating too. They collected those 2 papers (the cheater and the target) after the exam and separated those 2 from the rest of them, so they can compared the answers to check whether it is really cheating. After a brief look at the supposed cheater and see that the exam is mostly junk/blanks, we decided to simply throw it back into the rest of the pile, since he isn't going to pass, cheating or not.

Haha. In another class the prof informed us that he had suspected several of us of cheating, but advised us that we needed to cheat off better students. :D

(Yeah, I guess all you can do is your best and not overstate what you saw.)
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:56 pm UTC

Cheezwhiz Jenkins wrote:Haha. In another class the prof informed us that he had suspected several of us of cheating, but advised us that we needed to cheat off better students. :D

Reminds me of the old joke:
Teacher - You cheated from Tim's test
Student - How do you know? You can't prove it!
Teacher - Yes I can. For question #8, Tim answered "I don't know"
Student - So?
Teacher - You wrote "Me neither"
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Return to “School”