Military press

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

bbq

Military press

Postby bbq » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:36 pm UTC

So, whats the best way of getting my military press really high, quickly?

at the moment I did 3 sets of 50kg for 5/5/4 reps. Not exactly great, are there any additional exercises that greatly benefit your military press?
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

Victoria Maddison

Re: Military press

Postby Victoria Maddison » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:18 am UTC

bbq wrote:So, whats the best way of getting my military press really high, quickly?

With a light press like this you're best off working on improving your technique, gaining 100 lbs, and increasing your bench press. By the way, it's been 5 months since your last status update. How much do you weigh, squat, bench, and deadlift?

bbq

Postby bbq » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

I'm about 157lb by now, due to not gaining weight during starting strength.

military press went from 35kg to 50kg, bench and deadlift have been stalled for ages, at about 65kg and 110kg, and squat went from 55kg to about 75kg. Not great lifts, I know.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

Eat more. Way more. Eat until you can't eat any longer. Have shakes with syrup, fruit, ice cream, whole cream, sugar, protein- anything to get your calories up. Liquid calories are easier than solid food to get down. Seriously, have thousand-calorie shakes. Regularly.

Just keep eating and lifting and your lifts will go up real fast at your weight. You probably aren't eating even half as much as you need to, though.

Check out this fantastic article about a guy in a very similar position to yours.

Once you've read it, check out the update.

Dude has gained 78 lbs in 6 months, 60% of which was muscle. 46 lbs of muscle. That's a LOT of muscle. He could lose the fat anytime he wanted with his metabolism, but he's still working on gaining. His squat is up 200 lbs to 345, bench is at 240, press is at 145 and deadlift is at 325.

bbq

Postby bbq » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:11 pm UTC

I don't think my eating is really the problem, I know how to eat.

Victoria Maddison

Postby Victoria Maddison » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:59 pm UTC

bbq wrote:I don't think my eating is really the problem, I know how to eat.

It does appear from your mediocre results that you aren't fueling your body adequately. This isn't really a press problem it's a whole body problem, you're failing to thrive. If you look at the squat standards from PPST you aren't even a novice yet, which is kind of alarming for 5 months worth of training. I'd suggest recording your food intake for a week and then adding 1000 kcal/day. No special techniques are required at this stage because you haven't exhausted your potential for linear gains.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:17 am UTC

bbq wrote:I'm about 157lb by now, due to not gaining weight during starting strength.

Obviously you don't, or you would have gained at least 10 lbs, probably more. 157 is way too light for an adult male doing any sort of weightlifting. Get up to at LEAST 180, and read those articles I pointed you to before you dismiss it out of hand. You obviously have a very fast metabolism so you'll have no difficulty losing any fat you do put on in 4 weeks once you've put on some muscle.

You should be at at least 3500 calories/day. Take a look at what you eat and I'll bet you're down around 2000.

TGM

Postby TGM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:41 am UTC

Like everyone else said, you probably aren't eating enough.

I've been following SS for about four months and have gone from 88kg to 95kg, and that's without really eating properly. I've found that it's alot easier to put weight on the bar when your also putting weight on your body.
- TGM

Return to “Fit Club”