0720: "Recipes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

0720: "Recipes"

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:18 am UTC

Title Text: To be fair, the brazed and confused newt on a bed of crushed Doritos turned out to be delicious.

It is my first time trying to make one of these threads (and get there first). This one probably was not the best choice considering I don't get it.

Oh well.
Last edited by Pez Dispens3r on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

skine

Re: "Recipes" Discussion

Postby skine » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:20 am UTC

The only reason they liked the Braised and Confused Newt was because of the weed.

And the high school chicks, man.

Duban

Postby Duban » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:22 am UTC

LOL, we would do something like that too.
It is not the gods I fear. No, It is those who claim to speak for them that concern me.

Iluvatar

Postby Iluvatar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:24 am UTC

Crap, now I'm going to spend the rest of the night/morning thinking about how to implement this myself (as opposed to getting homework done). I'm thinking a distributed fitness function done through some sort of web based voting system. Users make something the system suggests and come back with a value as to how good it was- the average of several users' ratings is taken as the actual fitness function result.

Maybe I'll put together a simple prototype of something like that based around a limited problem (eg, what toppings and cooking methods make the optimal burger, or something like that).
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:26 am UTC

Deep Fried Skittles? I momentarily thought that'd be delicious.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:29 am UTC

What the hell is going on with the second guy's legs? Like, is he sitting with them crossed, or...? :?

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:35 am UTC

yeah, I'm stumped on this one. Can anyone shed some light on the joke?

VHBT

Postby VHBT » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:38 am UTC

What's a few hundred meals, right?

To everyone who doesn't get it: I'd suggest starting here.

Magnanimous wrote:What the hell is going on with the second guy's legs? Like, is he sitting with them crossed, or...? :?

I'm pretty sure that's the case. The upper legs appear to be hidden by the table.

rocketrat

Postby rocketrat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:39 am UTC

I had something interesting and relevant to say, but forgot what it was because I suddenly realised that stick people shouldn't be able to eat. Their bodies are clearly approximately 1D, and that food is 2D. Although, admittedly, for both of those the volume is still 0.

edbdqt

Postby edbdqt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:50 am UTC

For a moment I thought the alt-text was a reference to the current "Pearls before Swine" series about on of the crocs being "newtered". Oh me yarm, they've newterd Randall, too!!

And yes, Skittles are going in the deep fryer with the fish this Friday ... are they battered?

SW15243

Postby SW15243 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:50 am UTC

Quick! Non-sequitur Man to the rescue!
Who holds their laptop like that?!

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:52 am UTC

That does indeed seem like a poor way to carry a laptop computer.

What is it that's floating over second guys glass? It looks like little hearts.

cptjeff

Postby cptjeff » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:57 am UTC

What's wrong with cheerios and vermouth? It's a classic, like coca puffs and whiskey.

natey

Postby natey » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:02 am UTC

Am I the only one who has a sudden urge to try deep fried skittles? I almost want to go to walmart to buy the materals...

Also is the guy in the middle drinking... a love potion?

rocketrat wrote:I had something interesting and relevant to say, but forgot what it was because I suddenly realised that stick people shouldn't be able to eat. Their bodies are clearly approximately 1D, and that food is 2D. Although, admittedly, for both of those the volume is still 0.

Well if they chew their food in their 2D heads until it's small enough to fit in their 1D bodies...

Jerr

Postby Jerr » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:06 am UTC

I was wondering what a "mepl" was, then realized it was actually "meal," just the "A" got messed up. Genetic algorithm recipes, interesting indeed.

fealuinix

Postby fealuinix » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:07 am UTC

natey wrote:Also is the guy in the middle drinking... a love potion?

Not sure. I kinda thought those were flies.

Maybe it's filled with vinegar.

unumplurum

Postby unumplurum » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:07 am UTC

They clearly haven't optimized over the cost of information. Maybe they could do some unsupervised learning to discover reasonable ingredient combinations before unleashing this thing on the world. Parsing cookbooks for recipe examples shouldn't be very difficult.

(Definition of "unsupervised learning": Learning the right thing to do without needing a bunch of examples of good and bad cooking. For example, in natural language processing this means figuring out the structure of a language from a bunch of unlabeled text, whereas a supervised learner has a bunch of text labeled "structurally correct" or "structurally incorrect".)

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:13 am UTC

About the distributed fitness function thing: I'm pretty sure that's what they're doing here. Also take a look at Electric Sheep: Distributed Genetic Fractal Art. And it's good, too, unlike the food.

Another approach is human genetic algorithm mixed with computer's creativeness: Write your program, give it basic ideas of ingredients and what sour, sweet, bitter, umagi and spicy are, and then wire it up to some website like WikiRecipies. It can then post its new recipies as Anonymous users. It would be an interesting social experiment as well... man vs. machine!!! Except neither one knows it. :D

P.S. - I carry my laptop like that. Now, everyone scream! :twisted:

P.P.S - More important than the second guys drink, what about the third guy's drink? Did he spill a bit, or is it... crawling? Maybe it's some slime mold? (They are, by the way, surprising intelligent creatures, molds. They even have been shown to have a sense of rhythm, and ability to solve certain types NP-complete problems with ease!)

P.P.P.S - At the guy below me - What are you talking about!?!? Pickle juice is my favorite drink, and it's, like, 80% vinegar!
...or maybe it's just my adolescent brain's craving for alcohol at some deep, sick level.
Last edited by squareroot on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:17 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

natey

Postby natey » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:14 am UTC

fealuinix wrote:
natey wrote:Also is the guy in the middle drinking... a love potion?

Not sure. I kinda thought those were flies.

Maybe it's filled with vinegar.

Maybe it is. That would be like the worst drink ever, I've been cleaning the house with that stuff and I still can't get the smell off

cookrw

Postby cookrw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:15 am UTC

That newt was braised and confused for so long, its not true... :D

skine

Postby skine » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:21 am UTC

The point of the article: There are some ID-ers who don't see the difference between the two statements:

A Frenchman and an American can reproduce. The Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower cannot.

skine

Postby skine » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:23 am UTC

To clarify:

In certain debates, you will hear about the evolution of bridges as comparable to the evolution of life. The point is that life and architecture do not reproduce in the same fashion. This is what I meant above.

hintss

Postby hintss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:24 am UTC

makes me want to do a similar thing for forums, creating an AI, measuring response, and well, making it seem human.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:27 am UTC

rocketrat wrote:I had something interesting and relevant to say, but forgot what it was because I suddenly realised that stick people shouldn't be able to eat. Their bodies are clearly approximately 1D, and that food is 2D. Although, admittedly, for both of those the volume is still 0.
I think the fact that they don't have mouths would be a bigger problem.

Though the fact that they're stick figures doesn't make them one-dimensional... Technically, we can't see 1D objects in threespace.

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:28 am UTC

I love this comic because it is getting back to XKCD's nerdy science roots. As opposed to nerdy awkwardness roots.
Just because it is not physics doesn't mean it is not science.
http://www.iomalfunction.blogspot.com <---- A collection of humorous one liners and science jokes.

Me321

Postby Me321 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:42 am UTC

Google has:
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,640 for "deep fried skittles". (0.11 seconds)

but no real pictures :(

falkon3439

Postby falkon3439 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:58 am UTC

The IT guy at my school carries his laptop like that... I want to punch him in the face

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:10 am UTC

I wonder what would happen if we based genetic algorithms off the way genetics really works rather than the extreme simplification that's usually modeled. I guess that would be hard to do because we're still figuring out most of the details :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BrianX

Postby BrianX » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:13 am UTC

I don't carry my laptop like that, but I have a nasty habit of picking it up by the spine and flipping it under my arm like a large book. It is a habit I should break, but sometimes I forget.

wagner

Postby wagner » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:15 am UTC

SW15243 wrote:Who holds their laptop like that?!

cephalopod9 wrote:That does indeed seem like a poor way to carry a laptop computer.

I hold my laptop like that sometimes. The battery takes up the entire front third of the machine, and there's a hole to give you leverage to remove that battery that can double as a grip.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:05 am UTC

mmm... deep-fried skittles.....

*256th post, neat!
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Math_Mage

Postby Math_Mage » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:14 am UTC

The CS guys seem to be starting with random recipes for their initial population, which seems impractical when there is a whole ecosystem of existing recipes to work from.

demadaha

Postby demadaha » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:25 am UTC

FYI: Deep fried skittles, while potentially delicious, are nearly impossible to actually pull off. They have a tendency to dissolve in hot oil and are very easy to lose.

I apologize for crushing all of your hopes and dreams.
Warning: Post may contain lame, overused reference.
That's no reference! It's a space station!

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:27 am UTC

^ add flour. :)

Their only randomizing the ingredients, what about the amount? what if putting 1.33 more oil in skittles improve the recipe? Surely the CS guys need better algorithms.

LordBritish

Postby LordBritish » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:52 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:What is it that's floating over second guys glass? It looks like little hearts.

Hmm, could be Radenska mineral water: http://www.stawskidistributing.com/images_bottels/Radenska.jpg. Probably with chocolate powder.
In vacuum, you are no longer a sucker.

now to something completely different: http://demesos.blogspot.com

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:58 am UTC

It's been a week or two since I've found a new xkcd strip to be this funny.

One bit of fridge logic, though: Why didn't they just start with a bunch of pre-existing recipes in the first generation?
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

starabo

Postby starabo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:29 am UTC

Deep fried skittles? Get yourself over to Scotland. Over there anything that is covered in batter and thrown in the deep fryer is considered a delicacy. You name it.

- Black pudding
- Haggis (this is actually quite nice)
- Mars bars
- Pizza
- and yes, Skittles too.

It was a bit of a fad a few years ago, but many of the chip shops are still purveyors of saturated delights.

That is why people from Glasgow have one of the highest rates of heart disease in the world.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:56 am UTC

Hmm, I have some vermouth at home. I may have to get some Cheerios from the shop and try this. Additionally, I think the deep-fried Skittles could work. You could dip them in batter, but I'm thinking of something more like a spring roll; wrap the Skittles up to make a sealed packet, then deep-fry that. It should go crunchy on the outside and sweet, sticky and melted in the middle.

I wonder if the Google results for "I burned myself deep-frying Skittles" will go up now this comic has been posted.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

fenix849

Postby fenix849 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:02 am UTC

Ah, the joys of culinary experimentation.

My experiments usually seem to work better than i imagine these examples would.

scalziand

Postby scalziand » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:23 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:I wonder if the Google results for "I burned myself deep-frying Skittles" will go up now this comic has been posted.

I'm thinking more along the lines of "killed in a deep-frying skittle accident".

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”