What are some simple social experiments you have tried?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

gbagcn2

What are some simple social experiments you have tried?

Postby gbagcn2 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:39 pm UTC

By this I mean doing something just to see how other people would react.

Litof

Re: What are some simple social experiments you have tried?

Postby Litof » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:51 pm UTC

Nothing really major, but I decided to tell my Chinese class that we had a "dihydrogen monoxide leak" in the school. Needless to say, there were several horrified looks.

Vincent91

Postby Vincent91 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:00 am UTC

gbagcn2 wrote:By this I mean doing something just to see how other people would react.

There's this thing called trolling... I've done that.

-KF-

Postby -KF- » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:53 am UTC

Wore a tie to school for no reason, just to see how many people would ask "Why are you dressed up?" despite the fact that I was otherwise dressed casually.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:57 am UTC

I joined a forum once and asked a lot of seemingly random questions to see what sorts of responses I'd get.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:43 am UTC

And then I didn't reply to any of them after making my first post. Or something. *whistles*
Ⓞⓞ◯

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:01 am UTC

I once wore my Dr Zoidberg costume to work to see what sort of reaction I'd get.

Actually that's a lie, but it would be so frickin' cool if I did...
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:34 am UTC

Oh, I do this all the time, although sometimes I set out to confuse people too.

I've done some silly stuff like walking around a town centre with celery held out straight in front of me, with my friend following me closely holding his hands as if in prayer.
We walked very slowly. It was beautiful.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

Dthen wrote:Oh, I do this all the time, although sometimes I set out to confuse people too.

I've done some silly stuff like walking around a town centre with celery held out straight in front of me, with my friend following me closely holding his hands as if in prayer.
We walked very slowly. It was beautiful.
See, I'd say that belongs in the 'making the world a weirder place' thread (You should totally go post there)
Ⓞⓞ◯

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

When I speak I gradually decrease the volume of my voice.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:When I speak I gradually decrease the volume of my voice.

People are always doing that to me if I fail to hear them the first time they say it.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

I haven't tried it before, but by suggestion of my psychology professor I want to try facing the "wrong" way in a busy elevator someday.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:54 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:See, I'd say that belongs in the 'making the world a weirder place' thread (You should totally go post there)

Maybe it does belong there, but considering it was mainly to see (and hear) the reactions, I would say it belongs here too.
Those are also some of the more amusing examples, I do all sorts of things just to see how people respond as well.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Velict

Postby Velict » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

Four friends and I formed a line in front of the bathroom door during one of our high school football games. Fun stuff.

Shooer

Postby Shooer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:29 pm UTC

In High School me and a few friends dressed up in business casual and carried brief cases all day. We acted very seriously and whenever anyone asked we would say things like "Business as usual".

During lunch we all sat together looked around like we were having a meeting. We all nodded, opened our brief cases and pulled out action figures. We proceeded to make fake laser and explosion noises. When it was time to leave we all packed up, nodded and walked away.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

I had a sociology class where we had to do it. In my case, I wore the colors and shirt of a very major rival school, and then hung out in the most crowded areas of school just to see what would happen.

No one said a word. It was really rather disappointing.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:23 am UTC

Shooer wrote:In High School me and a few friends dressed up in BSNSS casual and carried brief cases all day. We acted very SRSLY and whenever anyone asked we would say things like "BSNSS as usual".

During lunch we all sat together looked around like we were having a meeting. We all nodded, opened our brief cases and pulled out action figures. We proceeded to make fake laser and explosion noises. When it was time to leave we all packed up, nodded and walked away.

That's even more hilarious with the mod madness cheesegraters applied.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:20 am UTC

I once started a joke thread about cereal... on a forum that died a few years ago.

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:24 am UTC

I give useless responces to almost all questions.

Spoiler:
How do you find the area of this part of this circle?
with math

How was you weekend?
48 hours long

what'd you do during your weekend?
I breathed

Whats up?
ceiling

Can you get me x?
yes

will you get me x?
no

how are you?
living

my friend delayed all his verbal responces by 10 seconds for a week

Ouch.jars

Postby Ouch.jars » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

I have tried the one where you look up at an arbitrary point and try to see how many other people you can get looking. I got my friend to help once but he blew it way out of proportion.
ouchjars: putting the "pie" in "sapience" since '08

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:40 pm UTC

My sister and I went to California while we were in school. She was rather popular, and had requests from her friends to find out "latest trends" straight from Hollywood. When we returned, we said that we saw a lot of red with white polka dots (Mini Mouse's dress at Disneyland). Needless to say, red with white dots became very popular at our school for about a year.

I spent several hours practicing a purposeful gait. I used it at work for three weeks. In that span, no customers asked me any questions.

My sister and I, upon changing schools, incorrectly identified ourselves for the first day. I was Butch Flowers, and she was Leonard. It took several TEACHERS approximately two months to notice and start using our proper names. We only used the names for one day.

As supervising staff for a cadet summer camp, I simply stood at the door of the quarters of eight cadets in the barracks and remained silent for several minutes. Unnerved by my presence, they corrected eight deficiencies that would have merited disciplinary action. I wasn't even looking for any.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

Here's one I'd like to try if I ever feel like blowing a lot of money FOR SCIENCE.

Basically, I'd go to a busy high street and go up to people with a fiver and say "excuse me, did you drop this?" And keep a score of how many people were honest.

black rook in rainy weather

Postby black rook in rainy weather » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Here's one I'd like to try if I ever feel like blowing a lot of money FOR SCIENCE.

Basically, I'd go to a busy high street and go up to people with a fiver and say "excuse me, did you drop this?" And keep a score of how many people were honest.

Thats a properly good idea. I think I'd mostly be honest, but it'd be very much dependent on the day it happened. Like if I wanted that fiver for something, I'd take it.
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being.
Carl Jung

Kiwi Byrde

Postby Kiwi Byrde » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:52 pm UTC

I've taken to hiding little notes around school, signed under an alias. I'll stop when I get people talking about it, or the term ends. :P

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

Another one that would be well suited to 'Making the world a weirder place' :D
Did I mention I like that thread a lot?
Ⓞⓞ◯

Singa Crew

Postby Singa Crew » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:20 pm UTC

I am from Singapore so you have to read this within the context of Singapore's culture of fear and oppressiveness.

Some days I would simply drop words like 'democracy' and 'human rights' into casual conversations with complete strangers, just to see how many of them would avoid me like the plague. Some would simply walk away quickly. Some would crack jokes and walk away laughing loudly just to smother the conversation about 'democracy'. Some would be stunned into silence and walk away once they recovered. Despite their different methods of handling the 'D' word, they would all avoid me. That doesn't change.

If I tried this at work, with co-workers who can't afford to simply walk away from their stations, they would try very hard to change the subject. One of them even made fun of his girlfriend's boobs when she was just right next to him.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

Democracy - So insidious that merely discussing it makes you insult your lover's physical attributes.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:33 pm UTC

me, my dad, and my brother used to speak in fake languages when we were out in public. like hold a whole conversation in something that sounded A LOT like russian but wasn't actually russian (since none of us speak russian), then when we'd have to interact with someone (like at a checkout counter) we'd speak in thick accents with broken english.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

I sat in the window in all of my classes to see how people teachers would react. "People" were mostly used to be sitting in odd places, I've been doing that for years.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

black rook in rainy weather wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Here's one I'd like to try if I ever feel like blowing a lot of money FOR SCIENCE.

Thats a properly good idea. I think I'd mostly be honest, but it'd be very much dependent on the day it happened. Like if I wanted that fiver for something, I'd take it.

What you need, is some decent forged fivers. THEN do it, for maximum fun :)
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

there's an evangelist group in town that has printed up propaganda fliers on little stubs of paper the size of a $20, and 1/4 of the back side is actually a printed copy of a $20. they fold them up so it looks like a folded bill and drop them on the street. some sucker rolls on by and thinks "sweet, free money", instead they get free patronizing bullshit scriptural education
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

I once left a (homemade) bread role on my desk in french class, and then left the room for minute. I wanted to see if it was still there when I got back.

It wasn't.
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

jearb

Postby jearb » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:16 am UTC

I had a select few people in my school refer to the number "four" as "Quanz" the entire day, and when asked about it, they were supposed to act like it was completely normal.

It was interesting.

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:43 am UTC

Possibly the most entertaining practice some friends and I did was to walk into crowded areas (pubs, trams etc) and start repeating "Wimoweh" unobtrusively. Invariably, a stranger would join with a falsetto "IN THA JUNGLE, THE MIGHTY JUNGLE", and we'd sing the song the whole way through. Other variants would be anything from Disney canon. I'll make a man out of you usually nets hilarious results.
Sapere aude.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:45 am UTC

Daojia wrote:Possibly the most entertaining practice some friends and I did was to walk into crowded areas (pubs, trams etc) and start repeating "Wimoweh" unobtrusively. Invariably, a stranger would join with a falsetto "IN THA JUNGLE, THE MIGHTY JUNGLE", and we'd sing the song the whole way through.

Oh my god, that is awesome. I want to be there.

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:12 am UTC

DSenette wrote:there's an evangelist group in town that has printed up propaganda fliers on little stubs of paper the size of a $20, and 1/4 of the back side is actually a printed copy of a $20. they fold them up so it looks like a folded bill and drop them on the street. some sucker rolls on by and thinks "sweet, free money", instead they get free patronizing bullshit scriptural education

That doesn't sound particulary effective. :lol:

I tend to use passersby as audience when I do funny things with a friend. Which means, all the time. I lean on the fourth wall for extra giggles.

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

at school, I always slam the classroom doors open when people need to come in and the doors are locked. took 4 months for people to learn to stand back. then I pretended to slam it open, but then open it such a small amount, that it closes practically immediately. I keep alternating them...

oh, and me and a few of my more-computer-minded friends like to travel around the school in large groups and point out where the mission critical network infrastructure is to random people. also, telling the IT person and seeing whether they learn to lock their wiring closets*...

*the wiring closets are hidden behind whiteboards in the wings, one per wing. the whiteboards slide out of the way to reveal the network switches for that wing. the sliding whiteboards have a wafer lock already on them, they just need to learn to use them...

oh, and the server room is in the Library, directly next to the deserted 1-man IT work room. oh, and if you get in the work room, the door to the server room is likely unlocked...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:16 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:there's an evangelist group in town that has printed up propaganda fliers on little stubs of paper the size of a $20, and 1/4 of the back side is actually a printed copy of a $20. they fold them up so it looks like a folded bill and drop them on the street. some sucker rolls on by and thinks "sweet, free money", instead they get free patronizing bullshit scriptural education
You, uh.. may want to send them here.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:26 am UTC

Somebody was doing something like that around my school once. One of my friends found half and we sat around laughing at it.

I really haven't done anything, but something like this was an optional assignment in my English class this past year. The assignment was to do something unusual for a day/week/whatever and measure the response of other people, as well as describing your own experience. Most people chose boring stuff, but one usually over-the-top friend had a great idea: He got a sandwich board, wrote a bunch of stuff about the end of the world and aliens and conspiracies and whatnot, and stood outside a Wal-Mart yelling about stuff. He said he got a lot of dirty looks, except for one guy who actually started agreeing with him.
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:39 am UTC

In psych class, we spent a lecture talking about this. The prof was telling us that one of her previous students (young, healthy, white male) had tried to go on a crowded bus and ask an elderly woman to stand up so he could have her seat, for the purposes of a social experiment. But he ended up getting so embarrassed he walked off the bus instead of waiting for her reaction XD
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Return to “General”