Mini - Star Wars: A New Hope for Mafia (Game Over, Sith Win)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Dr Ug

Re: Mini - Star Wars: A New Hope for Mafia (Day 3)

Postby Dr Ug » Fri May 14, 2010 12:46 pm UTC

So, I am going to roleclaim to attempt to clear some of the mud.

I am a protocol droid, and a survivor. I am basically C3P0 (thus my claim early on day 1 of being readily identifiable as a canon character in all but name). I actually assumed from the fact that I was specifically a protocol droid that there would be another (probably R2D2 like droid), but that does not seem to be the case. I figured everyone would be a minor character like this, including "vanilla" town, and was surprised at the existance of generic citizens. On top of that I got a minor power, I'm not sure how it was supposed to help me as a survivor, but I can force someone to follow my vote. I can prove this if you like, but I can't really see how it will help.

I have been deliberately trying to appear scummy enough not to be NK'd (as I usually have this problem - I very rarely make it past day 2-3 as town), but still doing my usual analysis to avoid being lynched.

I strongly believe those who have been pushing hardest for my lynching are the scum (however many we have left), i.e. I think they are drawn from WWS, darkname, asmodieus. I think Krong and mpolo are town. I still don't really know about darkname, but I am willing to go with Asmodieus as an alternative lynch.

Unvote

Vote: Asmodieus
Where did my old signature go? :(

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Fri May 14, 2010 12:56 pm UTC

EBWOP, oh and I'm interested that a few people seem to be picking up on the "galactic citizen" role from the OP, I'm wondering if that was actually mentioned in the vanilla town PMs, or was it something that a couple of players are trying to use to claim vanilla when they aren't (and perhaps are more sith-like). Not being vanilla town, I have no way to know one way or another.

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Fri May 14, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

Hmm, interesting. That certainly makes me reconsider voting for you. The whole "purposefully acted scummy" thing seems more like a lame excuse than anything else, but your roleclaim does match up with how you have acted this game and would make sense. I'm not entirely convinced that you aren't a bounty hunter or somesuch, but for now you've been booted up above asmodieus on my townie list.

I'll probably end up voting for asmodieus, but I definitely do not want to do so before I have heard from him on all this, perhaps a claim of his own. I do find it interesting how Dr. Ug has been begging people to withhold votes until all points are made, but now that he has said his piece he is perfectly fine with putting asmodieus in a precarious position. He's only lynch-2 I believe, and if we do have 2 scum left that could lead to an impromptu lynch before asmodieus can defend himself. For now I'll just wait for him to talk.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:
willwithskills wrote: I colored sufficiently large purpose on my tail end.

You have a large red hiney?

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Fri May 14, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

Votals:

Dr Ug - 1 (Darkname)
Asmodieus - 2 (mpolo, Dr Ug)

4 votes to strap someone to a speeder bike and send it into a tree lynch.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Krong

Postby Krong » Fri May 14, 2010 10:05 pm UTC

Dr Ug's claim sounds reasonable enough to me, but I wasn't most suspicious of him, anyway. I'm still most suspicious of Asmodieus, and my vote's going to go on him unless he shows up with a good reason for it not to.
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Sat May 15, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:And now. What does this all mean?

Back on that fateful day/night we lost our beloved Jedi and hated Sith, CF was totally absent, only to be replaced late in the night by Darkname. Asmodieus was also very lurky at that point, but Krong pointed out once that he had been online without posting -- and he appeared almost immediately to post. That's actually happened twice -- there was a call for a modprod, and before it could be answered, Asmodieus popped up.

This has me thinking that Asmodieus has been lying low and sniping in when the suspicion gets too high.

When I was online and didn't post, I was writing that analysis on Dr. Ug, and doing other things on the computer for that matter. So, it would take a while for me to write out everything.
Also, about the modprod, I felt that I hadnt checked in on the thread in a while, and when I got there, there was a modprod on me.

Dr Ug wrote:I strongly believe those who have been pushing hardest for my lynching are the scum (however many we have left), i.e. I think they are drawn from WWS, darkname, asmodieus. I think Krong and mpolo are town. I still don't really know about darkname, but I am willing to go with Asmodieus as an alternative lynch.

I wasnt pushing for your lynch when I said you seemed scummy to me, I was just voicing my opinion, the way you were playing was weird to me, thats all. But I think its kind of ridiculous to say that the people who think you seemed scummy are the ones who are the bad guys.

As for my role, I'm a galactic citizen and I have no powers of my own.
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

Krong

Postby Krong » Sun May 16, 2010 12:00 am UTC

Eh... I guess that was his defense. It didn't convince me, only addressing one of the weaker points (whether he was intentionally lurking or not.) I still feel that his suspicion list he made way back when was plenty odd, and I'm ready to get this show on the road.

Vote: Asmodieus
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Sun May 16, 2010 5:01 am UTC

It's been a long day, and asmodieus is at the top of my scum list after Ug's claim, so I'm pretty much fine hammering him, especially after such a lame defense.

Vote: asmodieus
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Sun May 16, 2010 5:44 am UTC

Asmodieus wrote:But I think its kind of ridiculous to say that the people who think you seemed scummy are the ones who are the bad guys.
My reasoning for this is that I do seem quite scummy, so scum would want me to get lynched - it means they won't get lynched. Whereas town might be thinking about the possibility that I'm not scum (as Krong and mpolo have been doing), thus my suspicion being mainly on WWS, darkname and you.

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Sun May 16, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

Buh bye
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Sun May 16, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

Votals:

Dr Ug - 1 (Darkname)
Asmodieus - 4 (mpolo, Dr Ug, Krong, willwithskills)

Asmodieus has been lynched. It is now night. The deadline for all night actions is Wednesday, May 19 at 6 pm EST.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

hendusoone

Re: Mini - Star Wars: A New Hope for Mafia (Night 3)

Postby hendusoone » Thu May 20, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

I was unexpectedly occupied last night, and I don't have access to my mod files right now. But, I received all night actions before the deadline, and will be processing them and starting Day 4 as soon as I am able.

hendusoone

Re: Mini - Star Wars: A New Hope for Mafia (Night 3)

Postby hendusoone » Fri May 21, 2010 1:32 am UTC

Goooooooood morning, Galaxy!

Let's start off with the bad news for the day... after the lynching of Asmodieus, New Republic Intelligence has inspected his apartment. About all they found was a couple of datapads, some dirty socks, and a toothbrush. Nothing was present that indicated he was one of the Sith being hunted by the Jedi Council's special task force.

Now, a special report. We have this security footage from the local spaceport:

A video plays of a figure in a black robe with a lightsaber chasing another individual. This individual is running quite fast, what with being chased by a murderous Sith. The Sith is waving a lightsaber wildly, and occasionally shooting lightning from his hands. The figure is hit with a bolt of lightning, and slams into a wall. He bounces off, but is still standing! He fires some blaster bolts back at the Sith, then runs up the ramp to a ship. The hatch seals, and the ship lifts off. The Sith stands there, looking quite put out, and deactivates his lightsaber. He exits the launch area. A new camera feed comes up, where the Sith grabs some unsuspecting citizen, and drags him off into the city.

Well, that was exciting! An attempted murder! Good thing that guy got away! Investigators are currently attempting to identify the person abducted by the Sith, but they do not have any leads yet. If you know anything, please contact your local security officers.

Day 4 begins now. 5 players alive. 3 votes to send someone to the spice mines of Kessel lynch.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Re: Mini - Star Wars: A New Hope for Mafia (Day 4)

Postby Brooklynxman » Fri May 21, 2010 1:51 am UTC

Hey accept for the energy spiders and crippling soul crushing conditions those mines weren't so bad. I'm still dead.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Krong

Postby Krong » Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 am UTC

Hmm... well, I've kinda used up my mafia time for the night on reading HP spoilers after my death...

So I guess I'll just state the obvious:

Crap, Asmodieus was town.
Hmm, looks like Sith targeting a bounty hunter?
Sith is controlling / recruited someone last night.
Yay, no night death!

We should look into who voted for Asmo and why, obviously... and yes, I was one of those who voted for him :( Sigh... my scumdar's been pretty terrible lately.

The flavor is indicating only one Sith, but without specific knowledge about what the recruit thing was, I think we should assume 2 scum. I'm also thinking that our mod isn't going to tell us if we're at LYLO, since he's been stingy with the info he's given out so far. If we're at 2 scum, though, we're at possible LYLO today (where I'm using the definition that we could lose with a failed lynch if night actions turn out a certain way.)

Anyone have any ideas? I sort of want to go to willwithskills, as the next most suspicious person on my list, but I'm not trusting myself that much right now. But if there's a recruit... then I'd tend to expect the most townie types to be recruited. Dang.

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Fri May 21, 2010 6:01 am UTC

Well, Krong is probably pretty much spot on with his guess about what happened last night. What does matter is how powerful this recruit is, or if it is a true recruit at all. If it was a recruit, which I suspect it was, then we are at a possible LYLO. Even if we aren't, we should treat it as such and be extra thorough with our analysis/careful with our votes.

Dr Ug wrote:My reasoning for this is that I do seem quite scummy, so scum would want me to get lynched - it means they won't get lynched. Whereas town might be thinking about the possibility that I'm not scum (as Krong and mpolo have been doing)

I saw this right after the night ended and didn't have a chance to respond. This post is extremely flawed. First of all, a good scum would like to keep a suspicious person around to be a lightening rod of suspicion away from them. Second of all, why would a townie NOT think you are scum for acting so scummy? A good townie who saw someone acting as suspicious as you would either think you are inexperienced (which you aren't), a jester, or scum. As far as I know, all you are doing with a post like that is throwing wine around.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri May 21, 2010 6:05 am UTC

I suppose we always suspected that the Sith might have a recruit. Still, finding out that it is apparently true (or maybe he's just role-blocking someone?) is more than a little disconcerting.

I was early on the Asmodieus wagon (if not first in its final form -- there was a lot of voting/unvoting for Asmodieus over the last few days). My reason for voting was that he was apparently online but not posting, and we needed someone who was around to have been the Sith Master.

We know the Sith Apprentice had a self-revealing day kill, but the Sith Master has not yet killed. Maybe he has a recruit instead of a day kill.

We have an unverified claim from Dr Ug that is still pending. It was enough to make us back off of the lynch yesterday, but we ought to examine him again to be sure.

Sorry, not much time right now. I should have a few moments later today. Saturday evening to Monday morning, however, I will be offline.

Ninja: Food for thought there, but I don't have time to analyse it.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Darkname

Postby Darkname » Fri May 21, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

DisHearting news my friends we must press on!!!

Ah yes i got tied up with a surprise test that my teachers so wisely set upon us to study one day for 200 point test+essay, Anyway i read the stuff i missed and i still dont get why we voted on asmodeius so fast.

But now we must be morecareful than ever on who we vote!
BLARG!!

Krong

Postby Krong » Fri May 21, 2010 10:15 pm UTC

So I was pretty active in the Mafia forum last night, and I know Dr Ug was, too. Seems strange that he didn't check up on this thread and stop by to post...

To me, that seems to indicate he's one of the people mentioned in the night post. Someone's who's been mentioned might think twice about posting until there's other analysis, as they could risk accidentally giving away more than they meant to. The bounty hunter's probably independent, which means Dr Ug wouldn't have much reason to falseclaim another independent role. (Unless the bounty hunter's some very weird form of SK, in which case he's anti-town enough that claiming would be death.)

Therefore, if I'm right that his absence from posting was intentional, I'd guess Dr Ug's either the Sith or the mysterious victim.

It sounds like the victim would probably know what happened, but wouldn't be able to reveal it. I can't think of much else beyond a recruit... maybe a voting restriction of some sort? I'd also agree with mpolo's reasoning that Sith Master = recruit, a more powerful ability than the apprentice's daykill.

Any thoughts on this? It's fairly metagamey and not much to go on, but it's enough for me that Dr Ug's moving back into my "most suspicious" slot.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat May 22, 2010 5:37 am UTC

The image of C3PO with a lightsaber and a black cloak is too good to not be true. :lol:

That's the nasty thing about a recruit, of course. We are basically back on Day 1, but this time with LyLO, and no cops.

I would like to hear from Dr Ug.

I will be out most of today and tomorrow, back on Monday.
Image <-- Evil experiment

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Sat May 22, 2010 6:25 am UTC

Sounds logical to me, Krong. I mean, Dr. Ug was already my most suspicious player, "acting scummy to avoid being nightkilled" or not. That's just another thing to add to it. As I said, I'm pretty confident that the mysterious victim is a recruit. We can't be absolutely sure, though.

Common mafia tells state that the first person to speculate on a given role or night action is actually the one who controls that action. For example, if it is clear the doctor saved someone in the night, then the first person who says, "good job doctor" is either mafia or the doctor himself. Of course, that would put Krong at being the bounty hunter or somesuch, but I'm not sure I believe that. The point is that it could be true that Dr. Ug was avoiding posting so he couldn't be pinned down in a role like that.

I would also like to hear from him.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Sat May 22, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, it wasn't because I was trying to avoid the issue of my possibly being recruited. I spent yesterday morning rolling out the new day in HP, and then most of last night obsessed about the turbo-mafia idea. I had meant to post here when I saw the night had ended, but just didn't get around to it (and I haven't been on today other than via iphone which doesn't lend itself to large posts).

Also, I'm really not sure how to play this day.

From my point of view, it could be LYLO today (if there are 2 scum), in which case I want a townie to be lynched to end the game. Or it could be not LYLO today (if there is 1 scum left), in which case I want us to lynch scum to end the day. Either way it's to my benefit for the day to end, I'm just not sure which way is the best for that. Most importantly though, I need me not to be lynched, so I guess for that to happen I still have to give my opinions about who the scum is, and hope that it's option 2 and we hit scum, and it's game over. I have to say I'm finding it hard to play survivor, it just goes against my normal play style so much...

There was some discussion about my claim still pending? I guess that's talking about the vote control bit, so if you want me to demonstrate I'm happy to do so, but I'm pretty sure it lasts for the whole day so that would remove the ability of whoever I use it on to vote.

I guess the flavour does fit with Sith targeting a bounty hunter, which means there aren't many vanilla townies left.

We should have:
1 Sith Lord
1 C3P0
1 bounty hunter
2 others (presumably vanilla townies, but possibly one of whom has been kindapped?)

I think the flavour of the kidnapping specifically says "citizen", which leads me to believe it's one of the two "others" in my list, presumably someone who was vanilla town yesterday. I don't think the flavour is really suggesting a recruit, but I guess it's possible. I can confirm that (as far as I'm aware) I have not been kidnapped / recruited / whatever else the Sith Lord is doing with a citizen.

I guess someone should analyse the voting on Asmo, and probably someone other than me (at least partly because I'm not even sure who I should be gunning for at this point). But if people want me to do it, I can.

I'm still concerned about darkname and WWS as they were pushing hard for me as the strong lynch target yesterday. Darkname has still not really given us much content to get a read on, and WWS appears to be jumping back on me, so I think he's at the top of my suspicious list. Darkname is probably in position number 2. Krong wasn't pushing for my lynch yesterday, but has brought it back up as an option today, which is a little suspicious, but up until that point I had him as fairly certain town - not sure what to do with that information.

Anyway, if someone wants me to prove I can control their vote, hands up and I'll control your vote for the rest of the day. I'll probably even let you tell me where to put said vote, (except on me obviously). For the moment I will refrain from voting (mostly because all of my suspicion is largely OMGUS at this point, either that or dislike for lurkers active or not), until others have expressed their opinions.

Krong

Postby Krong » Sat May 22, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

willwithskills wrote:Common mafia tells state that the first person to speculate on a given role or night action is actually the one who controls that action. For example, if it is clear the doctor saved someone in the night, then the first person who says, "good job doctor" is either mafia or the doctor himself. Of course, that would put Krong at being the bounty hunter or somesuch, but I'm not sure I believe that. The point is that it could be true that Dr. Ug was avoiding posting so he couldn't be pinned down in a role like that.

Heh, I honestly thought about that as I made my post, but I was kinda eager to get back to playing in this game after having died in HP. I was actually delaying posting a bit in hopes that Dr Ug would come by with some telling reaction, but it didn't happen.

Speaking of the bounty hunter, though: his continued presence in the game, after having taken out a target, kind of worries me. He may have to kill multiple targets to win, in which case we might have two deaths tonight, or he might be a survivor of some sort. Having a survivor around definitely worries me if there are two scum left... I'll explain why (in regards to Dr Ug's claim) below.
Dr Ug wrote:Anyway, if someone wants me to prove I can control their vote, hands up and I'll control your vote for the rest of the day. I'll probably even let you tell me where to put said vote, (except on me obviously). For the moment I will refrain from voting (mostly because all of my suspicion is largely OMGUS at this point, either that or dislike for lurkers active or not), until others have expressed their opinions.

Oooh, I forgot about this part of your claim. Not sure how it fits with a protocol droid at all... when did C-3PO ever have any control over anyone, ever?

But, that being said... suppose you're telling the truth. Let's go through the two options you pointed out.

IF LAST NIGHT THE SITH RECRUITED SOMEONE... then there are two full scum out there with 5 players in the game. If you are one of the scum, then you can use your power on some random townie, giving the scum 3 votes and basically the game, barring any weird day powers. But you haven't done that yet, which seems to mean that this situation isn't happening. I.e., it can't be true that (Dr Ug is scum) & (Dr Ug can control votes) & (Scum recruited last night).

Actually, let's remove you being scum from that list... I'm still not sure how to interpret that. An independent survivor, when the vote is probably LYLO, could try the following play: They claim survivor, ask the two scum to claim, and promise to follow the scum's vote. Obviously, there's a horrible risk for scum that the person claiming independent was lying and actually town, but otherwise it seems to me to be the right tactic for a survivor to play. So maybe add the following as an impossible condition: (Dr Ug is Survivor) & (Scum recruited last night).

(Note that by impossible, I mean that it means the scum would win, so we wouldn't still be here barring extreme timidity from the players involved. I suppose it's also possible that scum/survivor hadn't thought of this yet, in which case they'd probably act right away following this post.)

IF LAST NIGHT THE SITH STARTED A VOTECONTROL ON SOMEONE... first, it's kind of weird to have two vote controllers/thieves in the game, but whatever. In this situation, there's one scum left, so it's not LYLO, but if the Sith can use the power each night, it might as well be. (Tomorrow with 3 players, scum would control 2 votes.) Note that in this case, a survivor probably wouldn't want to lynch town, as lynching the sole mafia player is probably a bit safer, so the "scum claim" idea probably holds less water.

There's a slight chance that Dr Ug is Sith and using his claimed power as a screen for the above power, but I really doubt it -- he's asking us to give him a votecontrol target now, and last night's flavor sounded like the victim was decided then.

IF LAST NIGHT THE SITH DID SOMETHING ELSE TO THE VICTIM... no real idea what else it could be that fits with the flavor and is powerful enough for a master to be doing it.

So, in conclusion... if we do have two scum, Dr Ug's probably lying. If we have just the one, then I'm not sure how to approach today, given the possibility of votecontrol silliness.

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Sun May 23, 2010 7:20 am UTC

Krong wrote:Actually, let's remove you being scum from that list... I'm still not sure how to interpret that. An independent survivor, when the vote is probably LYLO, could try the following play: They claim survivor, ask the two scum to claim, and promise to follow the scum's vote. Obviously, there's a horrible risk for scum that the person claiming independent was lying and actually town, but otherwise it seems to me to be the right tactic for a survivor to play. So maybe add the following as an impossible condition: (Dr Ug is Survivor) & (Scum recruited last night).
Hmm. I like this idea.

Scum, if there are two of you remaining, if you claim I will control someone and vote with you against town (actually, I'm not sure I even need to go that far, I can just vote with you and then we all win...). Otherwise I guess we can assume that there is only one scum left, and that puts me on town's side and I will try to my utmost to find scum and end the game today. I'm kinda thinking there's a distinct possibility krong is one of the two remaining scum for suggesting this idea, but we shall see fairly soon I would have thought.

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Sun May 23, 2010 12:23 pm UTC

Well, this could be my worst ever mafia decision, but this game is going to end one way or another whether I win or not, so I might as well. No risk, no reward.

Dr Ug, I am the Sith Lord, and yes, I successfully recruited someone last night. It's pretty obvious when you look at the flavor text, why would I drag someone off if I was only vote controlling or roleblocking them? I have been trying to replace my apprentice since the unfortunate death of Sungura, and hit gold last night. I'm not going to say whom, of course, because if you end up being a lying jerk and I die, the mafia needs a backup plan. If you do not vote with me here, my apprentice will have no choice but to kill you during the night, making you lose twenty dollars and my self respect if you really are a survivor. Therefore, you should Vote: Krong and you might as well also vote control someone else to end the game fast.

Also, if you believe I am lying about recruiting someone, consider this situation. If I didn't recruit someone, it wouldn't be LYLO, and therefore I would be lynched the next day no problem. Believe me, I wouldn't make this move if I wasn't damn near sure it would work and end the game(bar you actually not being a survivor).

Gosh. That was the scariest and ballsiest post I've ever had to make.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:

Krong

Postby Krong » Sun May 23, 2010 12:44 pm UTC

Dr Ug wrote:I'm kinda thinking there's a distinct possibility krong is one of the two remaining scum for suggesting this idea, but we shall see fairly soon I would have thought.

Not quite.

Hmm... I can't think of any reason why WWS would claim Sith for information gathering at this point, so I believe he's telling the truth.

Now. WWS. You'll notice that my post does not contain a vote against you. You'll also remember something that happened last night.

I strongly suggest you reconsider your target.

Krong

Postby Krong » Sun May 23, 2010 12:57 pm UTC

EBWOP:

Also, as to why you should trust me over Dr Ug? Do you believe the votecontrol survivor protocol droid claim? If you doubt it even a bit, you at least have proof about who I am. I can promise you that it is in my interests that you win the game right now, and it is not in your interest to attempt to lynch me.

I also suggest you two make this quick, in case he was actually a townie votecontroller, who will at this point pick you or me as his target, giving him the majority against you.

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Sun May 23, 2010 1:07 pm UTC

You make a good point. I will
Unvote
But I need my apprentice on hand before I can make a true vote.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:

Krong

Postby Krong » Sun May 23, 2010 1:22 pm UTC

willwithskills wrote:But I need my apprentice on hand before I can make a true vote.

Understood. A vote at this point against mpolo or Darkname would obviously reveal the other to be your apprentice. And, anyway, if Dr Ug is telling the truth, we can afford to wait. It's 4v1, after all.

If he's not telling the truth, though, we'd better hope your apprentice shows up before Dr Ug votecontrols one of us.

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Sun May 23, 2010 1:28 pm UTC

Wait, Krong, I think I understand the situation completely. The only thing I assume is that if Dr. Ug is a survivor, he is also a vote controller, he cannot be one or the other.

SCENARIO 1: Dr. Ug is a survivor and a vote controller. He wants the game to end quickly as well, and would vote with both of us against the one remaining townie, either mpolo or darkname. The remaining townie would be screwed. We win.

SCENARIO 2: Dr. Ug isn't a survivor or a vote controller. He wants to lynch me, but him and the remaining townie are powerless against you, my apprentice, and I. We win.

The only scenario in which we lose is one in which Dr. Ug is a vote controller but not a survivor. I don't think this is likely, because he claimed both together before any hint of this kind of strategy. The way I see it, we win with or without Dr. Ug. I'm almost comfortable enough to throw down a vote on the last remaining townie. Do you think I'm right about all this?
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:

Krong

Postby Krong » Sun May 23, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

willwithskills wrote:The only scenario in which we lose is one in which Dr. Ug is a vote controller but not a survivor. I don't think this is likely, because he claimed both together before any hint of this kind of strategy. The way I see it, we win with or without Dr. Ug. I'm almost comfortable enough to throw down a vote on the last remaining townie. Do you think I'm right about all this?

This is true that it's the only scenario that gives a loss, assuming the remaining townie is vanilla. But I don't see what you gain by voting now. If Dr Ug is lying, then you're going down today, but your buddy still has a small chance of winning tomorrow. If you vote now, he doesn't.

If Dr Ug is telling the truth, we can afford to wait on him.

Actually... hmm. I've got an idea for how to resolve this, but I don't have time to type it out now. I'll be out for an hour or so, so don't expect speedhammer help right now.

Krong

Postby Krong » Sun May 23, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

OK, I'm back, but I'll be out again from 10:30ish forum time until 12:30ish. Should be able to check in regularly the rest of the day until the Lost finale.

I don't think the idea I just mentioned would really work, or at least I'd want to hear from Dr Ug before trying it. It would be a way to vote that insures against betrayal, but it'd require his cooperation.

Instead, I think at this point we have to wait until all three of us (WWS, mystery teammate, and me) are online, or until Dr Ug comes back and indicates whether he's been lying in the way you described or not. If he has (which, as you've pointed out, is unlikely), he'll probably just try to lead a votecontrol lynch on you now. Otherwise he might wait for you to reveal your teammie, but to do that would be very risky, since it'd risk us being able to speedhammer before town.

Ack. I hope he's telling the truth; this becomes a pretty tense Mexican standoff if he isn't.

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Sun May 23, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

Alright, I gotta go to bed. It's late where I'm at and there are exams in the morning, so I'm packing it in. There are two situations left.

Dr. Ug, if you turn out to be NOT a survivor, then good job, you got the best of me. You'll probably lynch me with your vote controlling, and there is not a whole lot I could do about it if I was awake or not.

If you ARE a survivor and vote-controller, well, withhold your vote until I'm awake again. No need to go lynching too quickly, we have plenty of time in this case.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Sun May 23, 2010 10:57 pm UTC

I am not lying about survivorness, but I can't hammer with my vote control (ie today I will have to be the first vote on the towny), so although it involves you outing your scumbuddy, you need to tell me who to vote for. My controlled vote will not hammer someone unfortunately.

So as soon as you tell me who I should be (effectively) double voting for, I will.

If you don't trust me enough to do that, I will control one of the possible town voters and vote for the other (preventing them from hammering - unless Krong is town that is), and if I guessed the right way, you hammer, if I guessed wrong, you tell me and I use the towny's vote to vote for himself. I think this is the more risky of the two strategies for you, however.

Krong

Postby Krong » Sun May 23, 2010 11:36 pm UTC

That sounds reasonable. How about this plan, though?

You vote for candidate A, I vote for candidate B, you don't votecontrol. If either candidate shows up, presumably they vote for the other, because otherwise they'd be revealed as town. (Haha, the remaining townie has to claim scum to survive.)

So then we have 2 votes on each, and we still don't know who the recruit was. WWS hammers, ending the game for us.

Does that sound reasonable? Also, is your votecontrol public in some way (i.e. will we know if you used it?)

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Mon May 24, 2010 2:33 am UTC

I believe they will publically vote the same as me (I assume that means in vitals). We have to wait for hendu to do vitals before anyone else votes as this is how hendu said the "won't hammer" is implemented. I'd rather www just tell us who to vote as that doesn't involve me trusting your claim of not-scum

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Mon May 24, 2010 3:28 am UTC

I think Krong's idea is best, Dr. Ug. It is quite simple, really. Dr. Ug, vote for mpolo. Krong, vote for darkname. As soon as my real apprentice appears he will vote for the townie and I will hammer correctly. In this scenario, you don't even need to be the hammer.

Dr. Ug, you may not believe Krong's claim of not-scum, but I have an honestly very good reason to believe Krong's claim (besides already knowing who my real apprentice is.) I wouldn't have voted for him after my initial claim if he was my apprentice, and the only reason I'm working with him now is because I have legitimate proof of what his role is. Whether he reveals it to you is his choice.

The main problem is both mpolo and darkname have been absent the last few days. If my apprentice had just come around today it would've been a lot simpler. They are gonna be pretty surprised when they see the state of the game. However, if neither show up, especially my apprentice, I'll just trust Dr. Ug and place my vote.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:

Krong

Postby Krong » Mon May 24, 2010 4:04 am UTC

Aight, sounds good to me.
Vote: Darkname

Dr Ug... sorry, I thought I'd pretty much made my claim obvious by this point, anyway. I'm the bounty hunter. I'm independent. If we lynch a townie now, I'll have won, along with the rest of you.

WWS would know this to be true because he targeted me for death last night. So as long as you trust him (which... I can't even wrap my head around what kind of double-cross would involve claiming scum to kill off a survivor), you can trust that I'm telling the truth about my role.

(Well, maybe not the full win condition explanation and powers part, so that's why I didn't even bother to bring them up. I am telling the truth about wanting to lynch a townie to win, and that there's no negative side effects for scum and you.)

Also... since up till know I felt like I shouldn't reveal this even in spoilers for fear of someone having the power to read them:

VZ: I caught you because you were acting way too... casual. I assumed the smuggler would be an independent role, and while you certainly weren't acting scummy, I could tell you weren't very invested in the outcome of the votes.

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Mon May 24, 2010 4:14 am UTC

I was pretty sure that was what you were claiming, and now that it's confirmed that he targeted you however many nights ago that was... I am fine with this plan.

Vote: mpolo

Krong

Postby Krong » Mon May 24, 2010 4:33 am UTC

It was just last night, but since we've been living on the edge today, it feels like much longer ago.

Return to “Mafia”