High School Pranks

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

hintss

Re: High School Pranks

Postby hintss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:32 am UTC

huh. :( game=lost. http://www.ilostthegame.org

anyway, at church and at school, there is a large number of people playing it. and I don't think there is a rule about it on the official website

hintss

Postby hintss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:37 am UTC

also, I'm working with administration to think of a great announcement prank. the best, but least likely to work is: "due to recent budget cuts, the school administration is now run by robots." in a computer synthesised voice.

ImTwenty

Postby ImTwenty » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:58 pm UTC

I did a nice prank to my high school. My friends and I brought a bunch of old furniture and an old TV. We set up a living room outside and chilled. We had Guitar Hero and like 4 couches. It was fun.

snowolf

Postby snowolf » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

if the teacher has a microwave oven, cook something that smells delicious, it makes everyone drool.
maybe if this is witty enough, someone will finally love me

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

I wonder what would be worse - sitting in a classroom with the smell of delicious microwavable pizza or the smell of rotten poultry.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

I fell asleep in a history class because the food tech rooms were down the hall and the smell of chocolate cakes baking was overpowering next to the door where I was.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

redearth1210

Postby redearth1210 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:37 am UTC

My school's VERY small, averagin 60 kids per grade so this worked out.

The seniors took the sixth grade history teacher's desks and podium and moved everything in the correct position in the main enterance.

In response the history teacher taught the entire first period in the main hallway.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 am UTC

A couple weeks ago, our school band was supposed to perform in the Hartford Saint Patrick's Day Parade, but it was rained out. So, the next day during class, we all marched throughout the halls playing very loudly.
ImageImage
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

tototutu

Postby tototutu » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:06 am UTC

I remember we had a party at school with both the teachers and the students invited. I dressed as a roman (draped in a white sheat for the toga, and nothing but underwear underneath), took a mic, climbed on a table and shouted at my latin teacher the whole cicero vs catilina stuff: "quousque tandem abutere patientia nostra, Catilina, etc etc" except i replaced Catilina by the teacher's name.
For those who don't remember their latin classes, it means:" when will you stop abusing our patience, Catilina, etc etc". :D

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:10 am UTC

hintss wrote:also, I'm working with administration to think of a great announcement prank. the best, but least likely to work is: "due to recent budget cuts, the school administration is now run by robots." in a computer synthesised voice.
Go on to say that there won't be any changes to the teaching staff; they will just stop pretending.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

poprocks and coke

Postby poprocks and coke » Sat May 15, 2010 1:27 am UTC

The seniors at my school went all out with their prank this year; they dropped thousands of bouncy balls throughout the school at various points in the day, continued with a little LARPing outside, and hijacked the speakers for a rave during a lunch period.

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu May 20, 2010 12:47 am UTC

whats wrong with a fly-by of a fleet of ardupilot enabled UAVs?

Atmosck

Postby Atmosck » Thu May 20, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

A handful of students (who were, by the way, all the smartest kids in the school. It was the valedictorian's idea) came into the school yesterday morning at about 6 (with the dean's help) and re-locate the principal's office to an open space just inside the student parking lot doors. They copied all the dimensions and the layout of everything, and found some drywall to make cubicle-height walls. My friend, who happens to be the tech guru of the school, set it up so his phone and computer and everything were functional. He spent a good amount of the day working in his new office.

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Mon May 24, 2010 4:12 pm UTC

hintss wrote:also, I'm working with administration to think of a great announcement prank. the best, but least likely to work is: "due to recent budget cuts, the school administration is now run by robots." in a computer synthesised voice.

This is probably one of my favourite ideas ever. It could work, especially if you could keep it running through the entire day.

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Mon May 24, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

I was thinking of doing a computer prank in my school. All the computers in my school seem to be connected. I believe that if I could get a startup file on one computer, it could work for them all (with the right log in of course. But everyone uses student / reader anyways, so it wouldn't be a problem). I'm not sure what I'd do. Not something simple like a rick roll. Maybe something funny like have the microsoft paperclip appear and annoy the hell out of people. But, to make a startup file, I need adminstrator privelages. I was thinking of creating an exact copy of the log in screen people usually see when they start the computer on a teachers computer, and leaving the computer on so when they sit down and type their username and password, it actually gets e-mailed to me. The problem here is I'm worried about getting caught. I figure it's unlikely since their isn't anything linking me directly to it. But, there are, as far as I know, a total of 3 programmers in our entire school. (it's a small high school) Some teachers already know I program. It's possible that they figure out it's me. Do you think I'd get in serious trouble for this? I mean, I wasn't planning anything malicious so they'd be lenient right? Just wondering is all.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Mon May 24, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

Do something you want credit for. Or just Roll 'em.
ImageImage

joshz

Postby joshz » Mon May 24, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

Kurushimi wrote:I was thinking of doing a computer prank in my school. All the computers in my school seem to be connected. I believe that if I could get a startup file on one computer, it could work for them all (with the right log in of course. But everyone uses student / reader anyways, so it wouldn't be a problem). I'm not sure what I'd do. Not something simple like a rick roll. Maybe something funny like have the microsoft paperclip appear and annoy the hell out of people. But, to make a startup file, I need adminstrator privelages. I was thinking of creating an exact copy of the log in screen people usually see when they start the computer on a teachers computer, and leaving the computer on so when they sit down and type their username and password, it actually gets e-mailed to me. The problem here is I'm worried about getting caught. I figure it's unlikely since their isn't anything linking me directly to it. But, there are, as far as I know, a total of 3 programmers in our entire school. (it's a small high school) Some teachers already know I program. It's possible that they figure out it's me. Do you think I'd get in serious trouble for this? I mean, I wasn't planning anything malicious so they'd be lenient right? Just wondering is all.
So you mean a keylogger? Yeah, I think you'd get in trouble for that.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

BobTheElder

Postby BobTheElder » Mon May 24, 2010 11:42 pm UTC

joshz wrote:
Kurushimi wrote:I was thinking of doing a computer prank in my school. All the computers in my school seem to be connected. I believe that if I could get a startup file on one computer, it could work for them all (with the right log in of course. But everyone uses student / reader anyways, so it wouldn't be a problem). I'm not sure what I'd do. Not something simple like a rick roll. Maybe something funny like have the microsoft paperclip appear and annoy the hell out of people. But, to make a startup file, I need adminstrator privelages. I was thinking of creating an exact copy of the log in screen people usually see when they start the computer on a teachers computer, and leaving the computer on so when they sit down and type their username and password, it actually gets e-mailed to me. The problem here is I'm worried about getting caught. I figure it's unlikely since their isn't anything linking me directly to it. But, there are, as far as I know, a total of 3 programmers in our entire school. (it's a small high school) Some teachers already know I program. It's possible that they figure out it's me. Do you think I'd get in serious trouble for this? I mean, I wasn't planning anything malicious so they'd be lenient right? Just wondering is all.

That's not a keylogger, that's a pishing attack.

Sounds like a pretty bad idea, and you'd probably get in quite a bit of trouble. Doesn't sound particularly amusing either. Surely you're not going to be able to run a .exe file on there? You could maybe make a webpage with a fullscreen printscreen of the login screen with real textboxs and buttons. Although even if you could, they'd know something was up and that it was you coz they wouldn't get logged in, so the'd close the program and see you were logged in. Might be able to write some javascript that would log you out when they clicked login, but they'd call the head of IT or whoever looks after the network, and they'd check who was logged on last.
If you nicked a friends login they'd probably think to check logs for any emails sent around the time the teacher reported it, even if you can manage to program it to send one. Especially if you had to use the school-provided email account, as then it'd be in sent items for the person last logged on.

Not that I know much about programming. Any better ideas, anyone?
Rawr

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue May 25, 2010 1:03 am UTC

BobTheElder wrote:
joshz wrote:

That's not a keylogger, that's a pishing attack.

Sounds like a pretty bad idea, and you'd probably get in quite a bit of trouble. Doesn't sound particularly amusing either. Surely you're not going to be able to run a .exe file on there? You could maybe make a webpage with a fullscreen printscreen of the login screen with real textboxs and buttons. Although even if you could, they'd know something was up and that it was you coz they wouldn't get logged in, so the'd close the program and see you were logged in. Might be able to write some javascript that would log you out when they clicked login, but they'd call the head of IT or whoever looks after the network, and they'd check who was logged on last.
If you nicked a friends login they'd probably think to check logs for any emails sent around the time the teacher reported it, even if you can manage to program it to send one. Especially if you had to use the school-provided email account, as then it'd be in sent items for the person last logged on.

Not that I know much about programming. Any better ideas, anyone?

JS can't log you out through a browser: too much security.

get a hardware keylogger. so much easier if you have physical access.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Tue May 25, 2010 2:04 am UTC

Most schools use outdated versions of Internet Explorer. Of course you can log out with some ActiveX crap.

Assuming there is a vulnerability you can exploit, just make a fake screensaver (just an animation in fullscreen) come up and then launch the fake login screen when the users presses a button, but make it say "Unlock".

You didn't here it from me.
ImageImage

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Tue May 25, 2010 2:24 am UTC

I wouldn't log in with my own profile. I'd use the student profile. The only problem is getting them not to realize that something's up. How could it be bad if I didn't intend any real harm?

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue May 25, 2010 5:58 am UTC

follow to old method: they log into the fake one, it says that the password was wrong, while silently exiting, leaving the real login. (run it as a service, so it works when no ones logged in).

BobTheElder

Postby BobTheElder » Tue May 25, 2010 9:48 am UTC

Kurushimi wrote:I wouldn't log in with my own profile. I'd use the student profile. The only problem is getting them not to realize that something's up. How could it be bad if I didn't intend any real harm?

there's a general student profile you can use? Lol...
erm from our point of view, knowing you weren't going to do any harm, not much problem- although correcting what you did would still take time and effort for the admins, especially if you did something you didnt mean to. Which is deffo possible. But, depending on who got involved and what their attitude was, they could see it very differently. I mean, what you're talking about is probably against the law, and certainly against school rules, and to me, keylogging an admin password looks like it would be a lot more serious than using some vulnerability to get admin access.
Rawr

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 pm UTC

hintss wrote:get a hardware keylogger. so much easier if you have physical access.

Or better yet, don't.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

NathanielJ

Postby NathanielJ » Wed May 26, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

I might as well weigh in here since I did almost exactly what Kurushimi is asking about when I was in highschool. I put a keylogger on the computer that the admin used, which got me admin access and so I was able to set NetBus to start on every computer on the network, which gave me remote control of things on the network.

This was fine and dandy for pulling pranks on my friends (sending them to unsavoury websites when teachers walked by them and things like that). But of course then when my friends found out about this, it wasn't too difficult for them to get access as well by downloading NetBus themselves. This led to all sorts of havoc which ended with me spending several nights cleaning up all the damage done, and several more nights marking assignments for the grade 9 computers class. I was lucky they didn't press charges.

So yeah, don't do it.
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Wed May 26, 2010 10:37 pm UTC

'bob virus' - a program run on a device connected to the network that renames every file and folder in the shared documents folders to bob, starting at bob1, and incrementing. Backups make this viable I guess, though I wouldn't dare to something like that, they're always find a way to trace it.

Instead, since they bodged up my permissions to the point where I can write to most of the shared drive, I may just change pictures of Jesus to raptor Jesus, maybe add a powerpoint about the flying spaghetti monster in the RE folder, stuff like that.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Wed May 26, 2010 11:19 pm UTC

Cue wrote:Instead, since they bodged up my permissions to the point where I can write to most of the shared drive, I may just change pictures of Jesus to raptor Jesus.

If there were such pictures on my school's network drive, I'd totally do that.

I can access anything but student and teacher accounts (I'd need a password), but a lot of stuff is stored in unprotected folders that can be accessed by popping in a LiveCD and snooping around smb://.
ImageImage

BobTheElder

Postby BobTheElder » Wed May 26, 2010 11:41 pm UTC

Cue wrote:Instead, since they bodged up my permissions to the point where I can write to most of the shared drive, I may just change pictures of Jesus to raptor Jesus.

YES! RAPTOR JESUS! DO IT!
Rawr

ikrase

Postby ikrase » Fri May 28, 2010 7:39 am UTC

Interesting. Although that sounds like a mess.
Last edited by ikrase on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
[bibliography]XKVCBDOSLDMSD[/bibliography]

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Fri May 28, 2010 1:35 pm UTC

If you have intercom access, keep telling teachers to report to rooms all the ways across the building until they're all jumbled up.
ImageImage

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

TheChewanater wrote:A couple weeks ago, our school band was supposed to perform in the Hartford Saint Patrick's Day Parade, but it was rained out. So, the next day during class, we all marched throughout the halls playing very loudly.

Dude, our school made us do the same thing. A marching band going through hallways is insane, I'm pretty sure my bass line alone caused some hearing loss...
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:31 pm UTC

BobTheElder wrote:

YES! RAPTOR JESUS! DO IT!

Unfortunately, most of the RE documents are stored in the Teacher Resources share, which I unfortunately don't have access to. :<

I was tempted to alter the powerpoint that went up on the plasma showing the results of our in school mock election, to put Pirate Party at the top, but I decided against it, I think Lib Dem came first in the end.

Nautilus

Postby Nautilus » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:37 am UTC

I go to a charter school. They give the seniors a lot of freedom.

This year, my school had a full-scale zombie apocalypse. Sniffer dogs, isolation tents, a guy with a hazmat suit, security tape, fake blood. The whole day the
seniors were slamming against classroom doors, looking like zombies... I particularly liked the chalked "help" signs on the outside walls... one of the bathrooms had a blockaded entrance. Someone had to kick it down, and there were zombies inside... It was goddamn amazing.
If you ever have the chance, do this.
My flagella bring all the boys to the yard

Omerprime

Postby Omerprime » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

In a school trip(one where we slept in tents for three nights) Me and a bunch of friends bought two boxes of condoms. We filled them with either the real thing or something that looks a lot like it, and cut\put holes in the condoms. We scattered the condoms around the teachers tents that night.
The next morning the teachers called everyone to a meeting where they declared they suspect someone is probably pregnant.
(teacher: )"We aren't mad, it's completely natural, but whoever... Err...-" (Student: )"Did the bad thing?"(Everyone laughs) (teacher: )"Yeah... that... Should say it was them so we could help them..."
ImageImage

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:43 pm UTC

We use laptops for much work in AP chem. A surprising number have aquired the teacher's face for the background.

A very amusing - and harmless - prank would be to change all the backgrounds to something. Perhaps the Big Brother face from 1984?
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

hintss

Postby hintss » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:30 pm UTC

remember that wget automatic background thing on lifehacker?

do that with an image you're hosting, then when someone gives you an idea, you can change all of 'em...

krucifi

Postby krucifi » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

i am hearing a lot of good ideas but nothing truly epic. whereas me and my friedns came up with the most epic pranks ever. sadly we almost got caught tryin to do it and police were involved. however the time has come to pass the torch.

we had this idead to sneak into the school after hours when all the teachers had left. then proceed to brick up (thAts right proper elbow greasing manual labour) a whole corridor. the math department was our target as it was the busiest. we had borrowed a van from a relative loyal to the cause. we got about 20 bricks in then a frickin retard walkin his dog seen our lights and called the police. we never got caught but there was a hell of a mess to be cleaned up. but alas no student seen it as the cleanup was done in expert time. meh hopefully someone here will have more luck
Yes, my name is the negative frequency of radioactive decay, of the initial speed of light's radius.
And on the eighth day God created Irony.
But on the ninth day Satan was all like, "Nuh uh!"
And ironically made Alanis Morrisette his minion.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

If you'd bother to read the thread, people have had better luck.
ImageImage

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:14 pm UTC

TheChewanater wrote:

If there were such pictures on my school's network drive, I'd totally do that.

I can access anything but student and teacher accounts (I'd need a password), but a lot of stuff is stored in unprotected folders that can be accessed by popping in a LiveCD and snooping around smb://.

hah liveCDs. At our school, the network security is so low, I got into a wiring closet without being noticed. The switches had like 10 unused ports. That and the switches are stored under the table in computer labs. netbook time!

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:24 pm UTC

Kurushimi wrote:I wouldn't log in with my own profile. I'd use the student profile. The only problem is getting them not to realize that something's up. How could it be bad if I didn't intend any real harm?

At my school, on a network share titled Vol1, there are a bunch of diagnostic programs and similar. Anyway, 2 were LOGIN.exe and LOGOUT.exe. They make the server think you logged in/out, without logging the client in/out. Both of them use a CLI. have someone else login, then use the LOGOUT.exe. then run your other exe. If only one login is allowed per suer, they can still login.

also, our school uses netware. we're switching to windows server next year.

my friend says windows server is easily hacked. Is this true?

to avoid being traced, I'm a freshman next year, and I'll see if there is something similar to the LOGOUT.exe.

Return to “School”