Do you make up stories in your head?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Re: Do you make up stories in your head?

Postby Triangle_Man » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:23 am UTC

All the time. This is such a huge part of my life that I'd be lost without it.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Cornish

Postby Cornish » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:40 am UTC

setzer777 wrote:Do you ever make up fantasies or stories in your head that you do not take part in?

It seems like a lot of people don't after childhood (or maybe they just don't admit it, I don't know). It seems like once you have grown up, it is not considered "normal" to make up stories in your head (unless they are about yourself) if you do not plan on sharing them with other people.

Personally, I have always been and still am a big day-dreamer. I like making up whole worlds and histories and then thinking about individual characters and stories that are only a tiny part of a larger setting.

Can't say I do; in some form or way I always take part in the fantasy. Interacting with the world you've just created is too much fun to give up, even when you determine what the reaction on your actions will be.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

i often imagine conversations with people. conversations I will never have. like, things I would say if someone asked me how I created my space empire.
uhhhh fuck.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

I'm sure that if I didn't hate writing so much I could write some very good stories. At least, that's what I'm told by friends.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:03 am UTC

Yes, and I've just recently started writing it down. Sometimes I'm in it, sometimes not.
aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:27 am UTC

yes, so much so that it impedes with what I have to accomplish at any given time, the wonderful thing is that I remember so many of them, and some come back to me out of nowhere years later and mesh with what I'm thinking of then, so its like a giant planescape-style meshing of worlds, all my little fantasies mundane or extraordinary (or lets face it erotic), happen in the same space.

edit: also
http://www.xkcd.org/52/
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

masakatsu

Postby masakatsu » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:17 pm UTC

All the time... called risk management.

Most what-if scenerios come from wild flights of fantasies.

This approach is also used in business cases and budget justifications.
I will not attack your math, just your epistemology.

You think you have it bad, I teach Intro to Project Management to Undergrads.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

I mostly come up with ideas for video games in my head.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:03 pm UTC

Man, pretty much all the time. I think it started back when I was a kid; I was sometimes unsatisfied with the conclusion to a story for a cartoon, and decided to do something about it by thinking up a scenario that suited my wishes better. I think that this started when I was a kid watching Pokemon. This is probably why all my daydreams look like cartoons, and I can no longer watch Pokemon without cringing.

nbonaparte wrote:I do something similar. Usually demonstrating some kind of technology. Often to people from some point in the past.

I... I do that, too. Exactly that thing.

I have regular characters, scenarios that I like to revisit. It's how I come up with and air out most of my ideas. It gets in the way of things at times, but I think I'd be a shell of a person without it.

I've been tempted recently, in fact, to produce a map/flowchart/timeline, showing the recurring characters and themes of my daydreams since I started doing it full-time.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

Re: Demonstrating Technology

Continue it out. Try to picture what modern day society and technological innovations would be like if, say, you demonstrated how a steam engine could be used for work to someone in the 1500s.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Re: Demonstrating Technology

Continue it out. Try to picture what modern day society and technological innovations would be like if, say, you demonstrated how a steam engine could be used for work to someone in the 1500s.

That's what I try to do. Unfortunately, I tend to combine this with my habit of "invading" other fictions; so a lot of the results end up sounding like bad fanfic. (That's why I don't write any of it out)
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:19 am UTC

How have I not seen this thread before? I've been making up my own worlds since I was in elementary school. At first, I would populate them with anthropomorphic electronic components and computer icons. Near the end of elementary school I started populating them with human characters instead. Over time, it has become only more elaborate: hundreds of characters, each with a unique personality and history; plenty of outlandish things happening to them (meeting aliens from Neptune and sentient plants, finding out they're long-lost triplets or supernatural beings or princesses), as well as some brutal twists of fate (child abuse, drunken parties, teen pregnancies); detailed maps of cities and blueprints of buildings; a whole constructed language, culture, and history; even fictional worlds within the fictional world. I'm already in the process of turning it into a whole seven-book series of novels (with a couple of side-quels to go with it). God only knows if I'll ever pull that off.

I used to put myself into my stories, but over time my character has become less and less involved and less and less anything like me. So now I don't actually have a character, and I have no idea what I'll do with the character that used to represent me.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 am UTC

Short answer: pretty much constantly.

I think this really became a thing when "playing pretend" stopped being a really viable option for entertaining myself. It started out with me in a lot of the stories, as a vague kind of imaginary friend scenario (I had ongoing relationships with these characters, who were at least somewhat aware that they existed in my head), but that got complicated and I switched to a kind of omniscient observer point of view, though there are occasional breaches of the fourth wall (in one story a character receives a box of cookies from a character who is basically me in that universe). After several years of this I basically have a multiverse with an established but constantly expanding cast of characters. It's kind of a compulsive thing, I guess.

I write them down/draw them if they seem like the kind of thing that would go well in writing (or in pictures), because I think if I didn't my brain would overflow and short out. But some of them are just in there. I guess I should try putting those out sometime too, or they'll just be lost when I die, and that's just a waste of a story.

Jelloking357

Postby Jelloking357 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

Kaelri wrote:I've done this all the time, for as long as I can remember. Most of my writing ideas come from improvised, stream-of-consciousness scenarios that I not only visualize, but act out. I pace around my room mumbling dialogue, mimicking body language and choreographing action sequences with my fingers. If anyone ever saw me, they'd think I was a lunatic.

I do this a lot of the time, and I can assure you that they will indeed think you a lunatic.

But, sometimes I'll create a perfect scene in my head and when I get it down on paper, it just isn't the same. Revision helps a lot of the time, but sometimes I'll realize how completely pointless the idea was in the first place and forget about it. Although, my mind has a nasty procrastination habit and while I'm writing something important, I'll get a vision for an idea I abandoned long ago, and I'll have no choice but to write the whole thing down. This creates a pattern where I eventually get inspiration for the thing I was actually supposed to be doing while working on an unimportant project.

It's a viscous cycle.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

Sometimes. It's based on the assumption that whenever I see someone acting strange, there is probably at least one plausible set of circumstances in which what they are doing makes sense. Of course, if someone isn't acting strange, this still applies but isn't nearly as interesting. So this basically comes down to a fictional backstory for random strangers.
I'll also occasionally plan out fight scenes involving random strangers, but I'm not very good at that. I usually end up getting killed.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:50 am UTC

I can get a bit too enthusiastic about RTS games, so in my spare time, riding to work etc. I tend to plan out strategies and how I would do things with the different factions and the actualt map we're on.

This is for Red Alert 3 currently, but usually a C&C game of some description.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

This happens to me all the time; worlds, characters, plotlines. Party of my problem, however, is getting those ideas written on to paper...
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Blackhawk5367

Postby Blackhawk5367 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:27 am UTC

Of course I do. If someone says they don't they are probabaly lying.
If you ever have thought what would happen if _____, then you have made up a story
Maybe if this post is witty and/or original enough
Someone will finally love me

Return to “General”